Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Vikar Jerome posted:

wont be long.

God drat if you're not gonna at least round the corners there better be a safety warning on that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I really like the switch

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I don't think I'm ever going to find a Switch. The day after I left Dallas Amazon Instant had it up for 3 minutes. All the in stock websites seem to be wrong when they list it as being in stock.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
I've mostly stuck to the retro and Let's Play threads during my time on the forum. Is Stux a gimmick account, or does he just have problems?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
My switch is without fault and get this... i didn't even use it today. It's just there, unused.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Claytor posted:

I've mostly stuck to the retro and Let's Play threads during my time on the forum. Is Stux a gimmick account, or does he just have problems?

I think anybody willing to be a gimmick in the first place has problems, so

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

eonwe posted:

my thought is that the switch fuckin owns

Yup.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Claytor posted:

Stux has been trolling the Xbone thread for multiple years, make your own conclusions.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Lemming posted:

Your argument was that a different game that works very differently doesn't use weapon durability, which does nothing to address the changes that would result in BotW from removing weapon durability in that specific game. Nobody has made the argument that no game would work without weapon durability, which is the only thing your example would address. The point is the game needs to be designed as a whole with that system in mind. BotW was designed with weapon durability in mind, so to remove it would require a total overhaul. You could do it, but it'd be debateable if it was "better," and it would certainly be a different game.

The hypothetical I was bringing up was addressing a different facet of the argument, that players do what's effective over what's fun. If you desperately need a specific example, a good one is Hearthstone or Magic the Gathering. There are plenty of "fun" decks that are wacky or whatever, but most people end up playing whatever the top tier decks are at the moment, even if they personally find them less fun, because they're more effective. When those games are more well balanced, a wide variety of decks are viable. When they're poorly balanced, only a handful are, which makes the game less fun for people who don't like using those decks.

those games are competitive player vs player games which sets an entirely different standard to a single player game. also that example is awful as it doesnt show a way that durability would help, which was the core conceit of the hypothetical. you may try again if you like

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

My switch is without fault and get this... i didn't even use it today. It's just there, unused.

Now that I beat Zelda, aside from snipping some clips it will probably gather dust until Mario Kart. Also like 5 Top Tier games came out on other systems, a lot of which are huge time sinks.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Claytor posted:

what do you mean by problems

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Stux posted:

what do you mean by problems

:guessIvegotbrainproblems:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i try to help everybody, im not negative, i make nice posts, and when i post a single thing about nintendo i am told to gently caress off, gently caress myself, etc

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
With my set up, I don't have many issues with the joycons. However, the issue is definitely reproducible if I try, and I was under the assumption that everyone can reproduce it by covering it up and having another object in the way like a coffee table. I can use my PS3/PS4/360/XB1 controllers 20 ft away behind my back while standing so the couch and my coffee table are in the way and have absolutely zero connectivity issues. The other day my two year old was standing in front of me, and her plus the coffee table was enough to lose connection during Snipperclips. Since those aren't normal use conditions, I don't complain, but that is a bit outrageous that the antenna/radio circuits are so poorly designed. I haven't had such a bad connection for a wireless controller since my Double Player IR wireless controllers for the NES that required constant line of sight.

Maybe I should send my joycons in if other people aren't able to reproduce the issue at all.

Beastie posted:

What kind of monster doesn't use the black theme?!

I still use the white because I like the color of the icons on the homepage better. I hope they release a BOTW theme eventually.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I don't think I'm ever going to find a Switch. The day after I left Dallas Amazon Instant had it up for 3 minutes. All the in stock websites seem to be wrong when they list it as being in stock.

You could have one for 500 dollars on ebay.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Stux posted:

those games are competitive player vs player games which sets an entirely different standard to a single player game. also that example is awful as it doesnt show a way that durability would help, which was the core conceit of the hypothetical. you may try again if you like

Correct, most single player open world games resign themselves to the fact that a player who wants to dig deep into the game and still wants to feel engaged needs to pull their punches and deliberately gimp themselves to avoid breaking the game. This game doesn't do that. If you want to do that there are dozens of games from the past decade you can check out, some of them are pretty good!

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Discussion > Games > Nintendo Switch: The Other Zelda Thread

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Music Theory posted:

Discussion > Games > Nintendo Switch: The Other Zelda Thread

Guess we could talk about all the other games...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

My dumb muscle memory keeps defaulting to a Dark Souls-esque control scheme, so I end up hitting the right trigger when trying to parry in BotW. Drawing your bow doesn't do a lot to reflect guardian lasers back at them, let me tell you.

Therefore, 2/10, game is garbage and by extension the Switch is garbage

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Snipperclips is pretty good

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Phantom Pain and now Breath of the Wild are the only good open world games imo.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

socialsecurity posted:

Fast RMX is real good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

My dumb muscle memory keeps defaulting to a Dark Souls-esque control scheme, so I end up hitting the right trigger when trying to parry in BotW. Drawing your bow doesn't do a lot to reflect guardian lasers back at them, let me tell you.

I'm having some problems with controls too since I'm currently playing Zelda, Horizon and Nier. The bow controls being different in Horizon and Zelda is really loving me up.

Also, I wish Horizon had gyroscope aiming

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

I'm having some problems with controls too since I'm currently playing Zelda, Horizon and Nier. The bow controls being different in Horizon and Zelda is really loving me up.

Also, I wish Horizon had gyroscope aiming

Holy poo poo, Im 5 hours in and at the start of ever encounter I sneak into position and Strong Attack into the ground because I didnt to aim my dumb bow. Giving my position away. Every. drat. Time.

Tender Bender posted:

Correct, most single player open world games resign themselves to the fact that a player who wants to dig deep into the game and still wants to feel engaged needs to pull their punches and deliberately gimp themselves to avoid breaking the game. This game doesn't do that. If you want to do that there are dozens of games from the past decade you can check out, some of them are pretty good!

I definitely felt like I broke the game though. I had a full inventory of hugely powerful weapons. Armor that was the highest defense I could find. literally 250+ lighting arrows and around 75 of the other ones. Only 20 ancient but that's a end game 1 shot kill to guardians. And more full heals then I could carry.

The boss was a joke, did a few hearts damage.

I mean, it was thematically correct, the game said buff up to destroy Ganon. I buffed up and walked through him. It worked but I would 100% describe is as a broken game when nothing can even get close to me and if they do they his for 1/20th of my health.

Again, my weapons breaking didn't add challenge, I had 10 more that strong, it added annoyance at swapping to a new one.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 22, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Your negative opinion of every other open world game that I have personally enjoyed is an assault to my very being... shame on you... shame!

Ornamented Death posted:

Ya, I kept getting mixed up while fighting a white Lynel and instead of dodging I would run, or I'd bring up the bow when I didnt mean to and then couldn't draw a shield in time. Big brain fart...

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 22, 2017

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Tender Bender posted:

no i dont think thats accurate at all, especially in the example i was using of dark souls. you certainly dont have to pull your punches and gimp yourself for that game haha :)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

I definitely felt like I broke the game though. I had a full inventory of hugely powerful weapons. Armor that was the highest defense I could find. literally 250+ lighting arrows and around 75 of the other ones. Only 20 ancient but that's a end game 1 shot kill to guardians. And more full heals then I could carry.

The boss was a joke, did a few hearts damage.

I mean, it was thematically correct, the game said buff up to destroy Ganon. I buffed up and walked through him. It worked but I would 100% describe is as a broken game when nothing can even get close to me and if they do they his for 1/20th of my health.

Again, my weapons breaking didn't add challenge, I had 10 more that strong, it added annoyance at swapping to a new one.

This is the result of being pretty far end game where you'd naturally assume you'd be strongest, but I agree that it's less fun. I'm in the same boat. This is why I'm hoping the hard mode is more than enemies deal more damage/have more health, and I'm optimistic because they proved they really knew what they were doing when they built the game in the first place.

Weapon durability doesn't make much of a difference end game, true, but it makes a huge difference earlier on.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lemming posted:

This is the result of being pretty far end game where you'd naturally assume you'd be strongest, but I agree that it's less fun. I'm in the same boat. This is why I'm hoping the hard mode is more than enemies deal more damage/have more health, and I'm optimistic because they proved they really knew what they were doing when they built the game in the first place.

Weapon durability doesn't make much of a difference end game, true, but it makes a huge difference earlier on.

The hard mode being a typical Zelda hero mode would be really disappointing considering it costs money this time

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

They usually did the hearts don't drop from enemies, only heal with potions/enemies hit harder for hard mode. Im interested to see what they do here. Maybe food heals over time? Hopefully its something clever and fun.

Lemming posted:

I agree with that, It gets less bad. I wished that the special weapons you get didn't break, but you got other ones that can be more powerful or elemental that break. I really liked the Goron one and make pilgrimages to death mountain to get a knew one regularly. I feel bad for that goon who loved the Giants boomerang. Have fun twice in the game I guess (there might be more I found 2 I remember). Or maybe actual weapons merchants who sold these things?

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 22, 2017

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Andrast posted:

The hard mode being a typical Zelda hero mode would be really disappointing considering it costs money this time

You also get other content with it since you can't buy the 2 DLC packs separate they are just staggering the release. The real content in the stuff in December. The Summer pack is to give you something to do during the long summer months (unless you are an adult and have work). I'm hoping there is more to it but I wouldn't be overly angry if it was just normal hard mode. Maybe with a tacked on you need 5 orbs to upgrade instead of 4 meaning you will have less hearts and stam when you hit end game. Food that gives max hearts not also topping you off would be pretty interesting since you would need to heal before using it. It would also make inns a ton more viable.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

I agree with that, It gets less bad. I wished that the special weapons you get didn't break, but you got other ones that can be more powerful or elemental that break. I really liked the Goron one and make pilgrimages to death mountain to get a knew one regularly. I feel bad for that goon who loved the Giants boomerang. Have fun twice in the game I guess (there might be more I found 2 I remember). Or maybe actual weapons merchants who sold these things?t

If you take a picture of the weapon, it'll give you a general idea of where you can find another, and then you can use the sensor to track it more precisely. I had to do this a few times for the kid's "show me these weapons" quest and I think it was pretty fun to do. Like a mini adventure.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lemming posted:

If you take a picture of the weapon, it'll give you a general idea of where you can find another, and then you can use the sensor to track it more precisely. I had to do this a few times for the kid's "show me these weapons" quest and I think it was pretty fun to do. Like a mini adventure.

I didn't know that, that's pretty cool. I used it to find upgrade materials but not weapons. Good to know for giant boomerang Goon.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

pixaal posted:

You also get other content with it since you can't buy the 2 DLC packs separate they are just staggering the release. The real content in the stuff in December. The Summer pack is to give you something to do during the long summer months (unless you are an adult and have work). I'm hoping there is more to it but I wouldn't be overly angry if it was just normal hard mode. Maybe with a tacked on you need 5 orbs to upgrade instead of 4 meaning you will have less hearts and stam when you hit end game. Food that gives max hearts not also topping you off would be pretty interesting since you would need to heal before using it. It would also make inns a ton more viable.

That would be really disappointing to me because the way the game works is really convenient and accommodating and lets you do all sorts of things you feel like it should be able to let you do, but once you know the ins and outs you can really break it. Stuff like switching between armor types mid combat (sneak with sneak outfit, then switch to tank armor once the fight starts as an example), the full heal thing, even just chomping tons of food mid fight take a lot of the challenge out, and even if the numbers are tweaked, unless it's so insane you HAVE to do those things to beat it, it'll still be pretty easy.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My Walmart order from the 14th shipped today, overnight. Surprised but glad I didn't cancel it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I loved the giant boomerang too. I assume there's more than one in the game.

I know stuck-in-the-ground weapons seem to respawn when monsters do, but I'm not sure about chests. I also don't remember where that big boomer was. I wasn't yet keeping track of stuff like that when I found it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

I loved the giant boomerang too. I assume there's more than one in the game.

I know stuck-in-the-ground weapons seem to respawn when monsters do, but I'm not sure about chests. I also don't remember where that big boomer was. I wasn't yet keeping track of stuff like that when I found it.

Oh I got my giant boomerang from a monster, I didn't know the as a chest for it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I really like the switch

hahahahaha MODS?

ps BSJ I think we have a mutual goon friend?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

MGSV would be better if it wasn't an open world game.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!

socialsecurity posted:

Super Bomberman R is kinda meh... It does play better after the update they released, but I still suck and it's pretty repetitive.

It does seem like it would be a great game for live multiplayer if you can get a few friends together and embrace the chaos.

But Fast RMX is great value for $20. Tons of courses and good online play. It's just difficult to find time to blink during a race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Snipperclips OWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Locked thread