Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

All I got out of it was that there was some lady doing Bad Things, but really I was too busy killing everything in awesome ways to pay attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, every time I have a moment of "well maybe I won't return Mass Effect after work and form my own opinions on it", Two Finger posts something else that makes me go "Yeah, no. Return that poo poo."

Which sucks, because I loved Mass Effect 1-3 :(

I'm coming around on the multi but we'll I stayed up last night for an all nighters on sp since it finally dropped and after an hour went to bed.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So you're saying you planned on pulling an all nighter and then went to bed after an hour?

Eeesh, yeah gently caress that noise.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yup. I couldn't really explain why but man, this game feels worse.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Two Finger posted:

I'm just saying. Although I never played the dragon age games I think every game they have released since BG starts with a SUDDEN ATTACK. It's getting a bit tiresome.

Intentional. People aren't prone to stick around without something attention-grabbing sticking around. It does get tiresome. When done right, though. Whew. The audience knows what they're in for right away and are either on board or leave.

In recent time, House of Cards has an extremely notable opener. You know what the gently caress Frank Underwood is all about immediately.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

cowboy elvis posted:

Intentional. People aren't prone to stick around without something attention-grabbing sticking around. It does get tiresome. When done right, though. Whew. The audience knows what they're in for right away and are either on board or leave.

In recent time, House of Cards has an extremely notable opener. You know what the gently caress Frank Underwood is all about immediately.

Yes I get that. But when it's become expected to the point of completely defeating it's impact, maybe you need to change things up?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I want to hold my breath for a sale but :lol: at EA dropping prices.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I want to hold my breath for a sale but :lol: at EA dropping prices.

you mean like the 50% off sales theyve had multiple times for tf2 and bf1?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Andromeda is gonna drop hard real fast.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Peebee. What the gently caress kind of name is that. Maybe the game looks good on pc but it isn't crash hot on xbone. I'm reminded of when halo 2 launched and the graphics really didn't look that much better than 1

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
remember when bioware made good games lol

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah ME2 was only a few years ago.

Here have a screenshot

full size linked

http://imgur.com/5XDgaFS

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

cowboy elvis posted:

Andromeda is gonna drop hard real fast.

https://nowloading.co/p/mass-effect-andromeda-is-already-on-discount-heres-where/4231309

Already started

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Christ this soft cover is loving garbage. Half the time you don't go into cover.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Steezo posted:

I would say that Doom is still the better written of the two, with better characterization of the main protagonist. Also, I don't feel shame when Doom gives me a boner.

Doom also isn't a primarily story driven RPG.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It was for 1993.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Booblord can role play as a respectable Marine playing Doom, so for some it is.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Two Finger posted:

Yeah ME2 was only a few years ago.
http://imgur.com/5XDgaFS

Played that a lot during downtime on a convoy ops deployment. I liked Zaeed. "Took the kids to get ice cream, I was the only survivor..."

Fister Roboto posted:

Doom also isn't a primarily story driven RPG.

Doom got better after the third game.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

oh my god 'after a year we stopped looking for survivors' COME THE gently caress ON
you launch 600 light years in stasis and after one whole year you assume no one's coming

this is just bad writing all round

anyone who's still on the fence, wait for a sale, this game is not good

oh my god it just goes on 'yeah when we arrived 14 months ago we got hit by storms and it knocked us way off course, but that didn't affect our decision to stop looking for other survivors'

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

cowboy elvis posted:

Yeah, and House of Cards continues to suck because Frank Underwood is still that same dog strangler who breaks the fourth wall whenever the writers think I need my hand held through his next Snidely Whiplash scheme. A slow burn is better—The Wire, The Young Pope, True Detective, etc. don't give you a full picture of the main character(s) or the conflict right off the bat, which is a big reason you they can hold your interest through a 10 hour season without throwing in a ludicrous sex scene once an episode. I don't think, for example, The Wire would be improved by frontloading McNulty drunk driving into a three-way gun battle with Omar Little and Avon Barksdale e: while fielding a call from his irate wife.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 22, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
You can just say you don't like the show.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah that wasn't meant to be a knock against Doom. An action driven game doesn't need much story beyond "there are the demons, go shoot them". A story driven game like Mass Effect does.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah that wasn't meant to be a knock against Doom. An action driven game doesn't need much story beyond "there are the demons, go shoot them". A story driven game like Mass Effect does.

Right yeah, DOOM is just an 8 hour shoot-em-up. Who cares. Mass Effect's actual gameplay has never been its selling point. If you start every Mass Effect (/Dragon Age) game with the apocalypse then the apocalypse starts to lose its charm.

The Witcher 2 has the best opening of any game in my imo, especially if you view 2 and 3 as a continuous story that has Geralt witnessing the full historical consequences of some dirtbag petty monarch getting assassinated.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

at the date posted:

Right yeah, DOOM is just an 8 hour shoot-em-up. Who cares. Mass Effect's actual gameplay has never been its selling point. If you start every Mass Effect (/Dragon Age) game with the apocalypse then the apocalypse starts to lose its charm.

The Witcher 2 has the best opening of any game in my imo, especially if you view 2 and 3 as a continuous story that has Geralt witnessing the full historical consequences of some dirtbag petty monarch getting assassinated.

I still consider KOTOR II to have a fantastic opening. Wake up to find everyone around you is dead and what the gently caress is going on. The new Torment was also good as was the old.

You know, relying on the player's curiousity to draw them in rather than BANG EXPLOSION

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Two Finger posted:

oh my god 'after a year we stopped looking for survivors' COME THE gently caress ON
you launch 600 light years in stasis and after one whole year you assume no one's coming

this is just bad writing all round

anyone who's still on the fence, wait for a sale, this game is not good

oh my god it just goes on 'yeah when we arrived 14 months ago we got hit by storms and it knocked us way off course, but that didn't affect our decision to stop looking for other survivors'

Don't forget that when your ark finally does show up they just assume it's a false reading on their sensors and fuckin ignore it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Don't forget that when your ark finally does show up they just assume it's a false reading on their sensors and fuckin ignore it.

yup we are literally running out of food power and water on here but it's been a year so let's not bother looking for any of the ships that might have those things especially not when those ships are the entire reason we are here

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'm actually enjoying it, but I don't mind the stupid writing. Time to go pat my lucky rock! :downs:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'm actually enjoying it, but I don't mind the stupid writing. Time to go pat my lucky rock! :downs:

I'm kind of hateplaying it at this point. I'm already down my preorder money so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it somehow gets better, but.... honestly? It's not a patch on 3. And look at that screenshot I posted - I think ME3 looked at least as good, but that may be rose tinted glasses.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I really wanted to like ME:A, but after trying out the trial there's no way I'm paying full price for it. Such a shame that the game ended up the way it did, the Mass Effect universe itself owns :(.

On a positive note, I did finally try out DA:I because of Origin Access, and it seems actually kinda fun? Grindy, but pretty entertaining and fun nonetheless.

Two Finger posted:

I'm kind of hateplaying it at this point. I'm already down my preorder money so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it somehow gets better, but.... honestly? It's not a patch on 3. And look at that screenshot I posted - I think ME3 looked at least as good, but that may be rose tinted glasses.

I replayed ME3 last week, and found out it runs @ 60fps downsampled from 2880 x 1620 to 1080p on my piece of poo poo rig. It does have its moments:

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 22, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I picked up the goty DA:I with all the dlc for like $15 bucks and I played a lot of it and enjoyed it for the most part. I'll probably do the same with ME:A as well :) Breaking the habit of buying brand new games and season passes is good and cool though sometimes I still do it. Well not the season passes anymore until after all the DLC is released and if I really want to play more of the game.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Missionary Positron posted:

I really wanted to like ME:A, but after trying out the trial there's no way I'm paying full price for it. Such a shame that the game ended up the way it did, the Mass Effect universe itself owns :(.

On a positive note, I did finally try out DA:I because of Origin Access, and it seems actually kinda fun? Grindy, but pretty entertaining and fun nonetheless.

I replayed ME3 last week, and found out it runs @ 60fps downsampled from 2880 x 1620 to 1080p on my piece of poo poo rig. It does have its moments:

yeah that's no surprise it looks better since it's on PC, i'll do a quick screenshot comparison bearing in mind this is going from 360 to one so there should be a decent improvement

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ok tell me which is which

not apples to apples but eh

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Freddy Prinze JR :allears:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
those bug people look dumb. its also dumb that you can gently caress them in the game

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

cowboy elvis posted:

Booblord can role play as a respectable Marine playing Doom, so for some it is.

I keep trying to gently caress off and play Quake instead, 3/10 cannot be gud Marine

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I think more than anything now I just want to replay the original Trilogy and finally do a renegade femshep

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
When can I expect trans options in Mass effect

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

cowboy elvis posted:

When can I expect trans options in Mass effect

Already there and it made trans people mad or something

http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/1233871-mass-effect-andromeda-criticized-portrayal-trans-character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Oh boy