Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

but many of the models share a cpu, at most they have a different gpu, and those don't follow any kind of naming convention, assuming they're even from the same manufacturer

p sure they've used powervr gpus on every ios device other than maybe the very original iphone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the iphone se follows the iphone 5 form factor which means it's still too big

the last iphone that was overseen by steve's clarity of vision and understanding of quality was the iphone 4s with ios 5, don't accept anything less

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike posted:

p sure they've used powervr gpus on every ios device other than maybe the very original iphone

okay, so without looking it up, which of these is the best?

PowerVR GXA6850
PowerVR SGX554MP4
PowerVR SGX535
PowerVR SGX543MP2
PowerVR SGX543MP4
PowerVR G6430

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

okay, so without looking it up, which of these is the best?

PowerVR GXA6850
PowerVR SGX554MP4
PowerVR SGX535
PowerVR SGX543MP2
PowerVR SGX543MP4
PowerVR G6430

idk, i wasn't really suggesting using them as a naming convention

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
fair enough, because that would be dumb as hell.

that list is just from the "standard" ipad line, not including the mini and the pro

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

not the gpu the cpu

A5, A5X, A8, A8X, etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so then you have like six models all named a9

what then?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have an a9 mini, an a9 air, and a9 pro, the a9 classic, diet a9, and new a9 zero

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

each iteration of the ipad gets better processors tho

the mini 4, air 2 and new model all have different processors

iPad 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Beast of Bourbon posted:

my apple iphone 6s+ is kinda busted. the screen has some issues with multi touch and i can't type a capital A, it always does a capital S and all kinds of poo poo.

apple wants $200 to replace the screen but like... a new one is coming.
this sounds like the known issue of touch disease

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/5dmihn/apple_just_announced_it_will_fix_iphones_with/?st=ivodmfk1&sh=e5ce93b4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iX7TyEjJ2E

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/apple-employees-company-is-hiding-iphone-6-plus-touch-disease-truth-from-customers

ufarn fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 22, 2017

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the best part of the free u2 album debacle was the ppl reaction to having two naked dudes cuddling being effectively their lock screen background

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

what's wrong with using a car-like naming scheme where you just keep the name the same and distinguish by year even if there are massive changes? nobody gets all confused about the 2017 Honda Civic being different than the 2015 Civic.

split it by size and you are done. everyone can figure out that iPad mini (2015) is shittier than the iPad mini (2017).

are iPad sales so anemic and fickle that they have to resort to crazy naming scheme fuckery to get people to upgrade ?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

we have an a9 mini, an a9 air, and a9 pro, the a9 classic, diet a9, and new a9 zero
at this point you are buying the size/features you want, and there's really only four now, anyway:

7.9" mini
9.7" non-pro
9.7" pro
12.9" pro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

are iPad sales so anemic and fickle

yes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

LastInLine posted:

i mean it has one usb c port on one side of the device instead of one on each side so you can have the cable be convenient like the new macbooks pro

oh yeah. that makes sense and I agree

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Endless Mike posted:

at this point you are buying the size/features you want, and there's really only four now, anyway:

7.9" mini
9.7" non-pro
9.7" pro
12.9" pro

yeah, its a little better now

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Endless Mike posted:

wrongo. the SE doesn't officially stand for anything.

they *do* use it for the special edition red iphones tho

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrCippy/status/711980520708542465

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

then they have three edition editions

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i thought we settled that SE actually stands for Steve Edition

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

but many of the models share a cpu, at most they have a different gpu, and those don't follow any kind of naming convention, assuming they're even from the same manufacturer

remember when stebe was alive, and the ipad + iphone lineups made sense because everything in a given year shared the exact same tech innards except screen, memory, and battery size?

good times.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

death of the author b*tch

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

remember when stebe was alive, and the ipad + iphone lineups made sense because everything in a given year shared the exact same tech innards except screen and battery size?

good times.
all two ipads steve was alive to reveal? the ipad 3 was certainly in development while he was alive and used a different SOC.

and that's ignoring taht the ipad 1 and 2's cpus ran at higher speeds than the iphones they shared with

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
still running ipad classique at home

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress try to tell reddit that that ipad one is still good enough and god they get fuckkn mad defending their purchases of unnecessary upgrhads

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
everybody to the limit
everybody to the limit
everybody

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Phoenixan posted:

SE actually stands for Steve Edition

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

steve,extremely

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Beast of Bourbon posted:

my apple iphone 6s+ is kinda busted. the screen has some issues with multi touch and i can't type a capital A, it always does a capital S and all kinds of poo poo.

apple wants $200 to replace the screen but like... a new one is coming.

uh not sure you wanna live with that for 6 months

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

phil schiller is either lying or clueless

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

wont believe it until theres a breathless macrumors post taken from a digitimes article

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Endless Mike posted:

all two ipads steve was alive to reveal? the ipad 3 was certainly in development while he was alive and used a different SOC.

and that's ignoring taht the ipad 1 and 2's cpus ran at higher speeds than the iphones they shared with

I heard they didn't run faster, but merely had longer peak performance times before throttling, due to the larger space for heat dissipation

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shifty Pony posted:

what's wrong with using a car-like naming scheme where you just keep the name the same and distinguish by year even if there are massive changes? nobody gets all confused about the 2017 Honda Civic being different than the 2015 Civic.

split it by size and you are done. everyone can figure out that iPad mini (2015) is shittier than the iPad mini (2017).

are iPad sales so anemic and fickle that they have to resort to crazy naming scheme fuckery to get people to upgrade ?

I think the 'problem' is that people can figure it out

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Stymie posted:

everybody to the limit
everybody to the limit
everybody

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

I heard they didn't run faster, but merely had longer peak performance times before throttling, due to the larger space for heat dissipation
technically the iphone ones were underclocked for battery life, which i guess might be a software thing, but you can't get an iphone 4 to run at 1 ghz, while an ipad can

the 2017 ipad is actually the first where it is clocked exactly the same as its phone counterpart

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

im guessing the new name is because they're all just going to be "ipad" from here on out

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

quote:

Alex Cranz, Gizmodo:

quote:

Coming a year after the launch of Apple’s first 9.7-inch iPad Pro, the new iteration from Samsung feels daring. While it has the same sleek lines, is just as light, and possesses the magnetic connection on one side for easy keyboard cover attachment, Samsung’s iPad Pro for 2017 is, inexplicably called the Galaxy Tab S3, and unlike previous iPads this one runs on Android.

Samsung is so stupid with their insistence on printing their ugly logo on the front face of any device where it’ll fit. You’re obviously supposed to use this tablet in landscape orientation any time it’s connected to the keyboard case, or any time you watch a video. For many users, that might be the majority of their time using the device. And when the device is in landscape, the logo is oriented wrong. That’s just plain stupid.

And look at their asymmetrical copy of the iPad’s Smart Connector. Says everything you need to know about Samsung’s care for the little details.

that's it, that's all john fireball can come up with to diss a samsung tablet. apple is done.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

carry on then posted:

Samsung is so stupid with their insistence on printing their ugly logo on the front face of any device where it’ll fit. You’re obviously supposed to use this tablet in landscape orientation any time it’s connected to the keyboard case, or any time you watch a video. For many users, that might be the majority of their time using the device. And when the device is in landscape, the logo is oriented wrong. That’s just plain stupid.

And look at their asymmetrical copy of the iPad’s Smart Connector. Says everything you need to know about Samsung’s care for the little details.

that's it, that's all john fireball can come up with to diss a samsung tablet. apple is done.
[/quote]

ah yes, the classic "you're holding it wrong" argument

ufarn
May 30, 2009
the worst thing about john gruber is the contrast between his criticism of other companies and apple

it's totally fair game to poo poo on samsung, but apple is absolute garbage in so many ways

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

[/quote]

yeah but the part he quoted already says it's made by samsung and runs android, so really that's all you need to know it's garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

boy it sure would be nice if we could charge $600 for our tablet instead of all the $79 garbage piles we're selling wait what do you mean we have to make it *good* isn't that google's problem?

• Locked thread