Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Alain Post posted:

it's extremely story-based and the story gets more and more depressing and intense as it goes on so you might not like it, especially at 60 bucks

that was more or less my takeaway too

Charles Get-Out posted:

This is fair, and I'm definitely not trying to defend the writing as better than it is in ME:A. I understand why people have issues with it.

I just don't think ME:A strays as far from it's roots as some do; I think my Star Trek TNG to Star Trek Enterprise analogy fits well (or TNG to Voyager if you prefer :v:)

It's not whiny teen robots, though. The whiny teen game is FFXIV and Nier is more

plus existential questions

To wit, there is a Jean-Paul Sartre robot.

here's an emoticon that sums up my feelings of a video game character asking existential questions: :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
look if you don't want random bits of pretension just don't play JRPGs ever

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

canepazzo posted:

PYF weapons and armor.

Recently crafted a Dhan Shotgun. It shoots twice before needing a reload but does an absolute fuckton of damage (over 1k at max level I believe?), and it shoots this kind of energy homing mortar shell. It's a beast of a gun and I never use any other kind of weapon other than biotics.

It's a beast!

What's your go-to AR and Sniper Rifle? What about armor?

I have this on my Asari duelist in MP and it loving owns so hard lmao

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

lol if you don't play video games to kill God in a fit of angst while latin chants blare incessantly.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Alain Post posted:

look if you don't want random bits of pretension just don't play JRPGs ever

i usually don't! but i like platinum games.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Heavy Metal posted:

FF XIV is the MMO, and really there isn't much whining in FF XV. There is that one chapter, but I'd say the overall mood is just guys on a mission, bonding, coming of age, epic struggles with fate, yadda yadda.

Bro-ad trip. The word is bro-ad trip.

You can't drift the Regalia, despite there being HELLA SICK DRIFT MUSIC in-game

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

lol if you don't play video games to kill God in a fit of angst with the power of friendship while latin chants blare incessantly.

:colbert:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Charles Get-Out posted:

You're talking about a series whose inaugural game was intentionally designed to be a pastiche of sci-fi tropes and had a blue alien waifu. I don't think ME:A being fandom-bait is some massive departure from what has come before.

Yeah that's exactly what I've always liked about the mass effect games. The stories were never good. I just loved running around a sci fi novel cover art. I got to talk space politics and hit on weird aliens. As long as MEA gives me some of that I will be fine.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

canepazzo posted:

PYF weapons and armor.

Recently crafted a Dhan Shotgun. It shoots twice before needing a reload but does an absolute fuckton of damage (over 1k at max level I believe?), and it shoots this kind of energy homing mortar shell. It's a beast of a gun and I never use any other kind of weapon other than biotics.

It's a beast!

What's your go-to AR and Sniper Rifle? What about armor?

The space game has a double barrel break-action space gun lol.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

widespread posted:

Bro-ad trip. The word is bro-ad trip.

You can't drift the Regalia, despite there being HELLA SICK DRIFT MUSIC in-game

You can kinda drift on those righteous Chocobos though!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
here's something i'm interested in: how's the level design? are there any really nice, bespoke levels in the game like in the ME3 DLC, or do they mostly dump plot missions in the open world enviornment?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Heavy Metal posted:

You can kinda drift on those righteous Chocobos though!

CAN A CHOCOBO BLAST EUROBEATS THOUGH

I THOUGHT SO

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

widespread posted:

CAN A CHOCOBO BLAST EUROBEATS THOUGH

I THOUGHT SO

They're adding or have added an MP3(ingame songs only) player for when you are on the chocobo so kind of yes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

The space game has a double barrel break-action space gun lol.

what is lol about that, pretell

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Alain Post posted:

here's something i'm interested in: how's the level design? are there any really nice, bespoke levels in the game like in the ME3 DLC, or do they mostly dump plot missions in the open world enviornment?
I'm not far in, but the world maps are pretty. You can drive around randomly and find things in sort of a bare-bones Fallout way. The plot missions have been interestingly designed so far. Whatever the problems with the animations or writing may be the environments are gorgeous.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

The_Rob posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I've always liked about the mass effect games. The stories were never good. I just loved running around a sci fi novel cover art. I got to talk space politics and hit on weird aliens. As long as MEA gives me some of that I will be fine.

This is what I like about them too and I have enjoyed the very little I've played of ME:A so far.

Heavy Metal posted:

FF XIV is the MMO, and really there isn't much whining in FF XV. There is that one chapter, but I'd say the overall mood is just guys on a mission, bonding, coming of age, epic struggles with fate, yadda yadda.

Corrected my post on this. And while I haven't played FFXV, my twink friend loves to draw the FFXV boys crying so I really don't believe you.

Cowcaster posted:

here's an emoticon that sums up my feelings of a video game character asking existential questions: :jerkbag:

I feel you, but I think it plays off better when every character is some form of robot.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Charles Get-Out posted:

I feel you, but I think it plays off better when every character is some form of robot.

Actually it was only good when the main character was a depressed New York cop with a leather jacket and a dead family.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Admiral Ray posted:

Nier still looks like it was created to be Waifu Simulator 5: This Time Her Skirt Explodes.

Yeah, waifu simulators are nothing but poo poo!!!

*plays Mass Effect*

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

lol if you don't play video games to kill God in a fit of angst while latin chants blare incessantly.

I prefer when your military superior officer calls you on the phone and gives you a 30 minute speech about how the internet is alive and controlling America

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

King Cohort posted:

*plays Mass Effect*

wow someone's defensive

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

DekeThornton posted:

Actually it was only good when the main character was a depressed New York cop with a leather jacket and a dead family.

I don't know what game this is.

Admiral Ray posted:

Nier still looks like it was created to be Waifu Simulator 5: This Time Her Skirt Explodes.

Oh also the robot boy's shorts explode too.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Also gently caress whoever decided it would be cool to zoom into each planets horizon for several seconds, do nothing, then zoom back out. Seriously what the gently caress happened there

I actually like this because it's extremely relaxing to me.

I only scanned 5 planets so maybe it'll get old

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

King Cohort posted:

*plays Mass Effect*

Protip: people aren't playing Mass Effect in this thread.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Played for about 4 hours last night and have a few impressions.

Movement and combat are super fluid compared to the old series. They've done a good job of making movement feel a lot more free, specifically the context-dependant use of cover. Maybe some people don't like this but I do.

The ship is cool and gives a better sense of scale than the Normandy. You really feel like you're in a big rear end interstellar spaceship with giant ceilings rather than a series of rooms. I still miss the layout of the Normandy though.

Writing is terrible. I hate my own character, which is pretty bad thing for an RPG. Everyone's face looks a lot more cartoony this time around, I'm not sure what it is. The dialogue writing seems like it was done by 19 year old interns and the story boarding is ham fisted. You're kind of just dumped into environments with people you don't care about yet without much explanation.
I'm also not a fan of the open world feel - too many repeating elements in the environments made the first planet feel dull and procedurally generated (even though it's probably not).

I'm still going to like and play this game but the flaws are pretty obvious. I'm not surprised it got the lukewarm ratings that it did.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Charles Get-Out posted:

I don't know what game this is.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Max Payne 2 is on the shortlist for best game ever made

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Alain Post posted:

"Max! Dearest of all my friends!"

looooove it

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Does the vehicle even have any inertia at all? I tried charging a minor slope earlier, hitting it at 130km/h with boost and it slowed to 0 and started slipping backwards within a second or two at the most. This game has the worst driving physics I've ever seen.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Alain Post posted:

I really can't think of anything wrong with it. It was perfect.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pattonesque posted:

"Max! Dearest of all my friends!"

looooove it

You were SAFE IN THERE you STUPID gently caress

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DekeThornton posted:

I really can't think of anything wrong with it. It was perfect.

Top notch Richard Hillman simulator, aye.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Ambaire posted:

Does the vehicle even have any inertia at all? I tried charging a minor slope earlier, hitting it at 130km/h with boost and it slowed to 0 and started slipping backwards within a second or two at the most. This game has the worst driving physics I've ever seen.

It has 6 wheel drive you have to switch over to for steeper hills. Saw my buddy have this exact thing happen to him a few times.

edit: I was surprised that the 6-wheel drive thing actually matters, when it's mentioned when you first get it I thought it was just a throwaway flavor statement. Nope.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

wow someone's defensive

But which waifu did you pick in Bioware Romance Simulator: Space Edition? The blue waifu, the mysterious masked waifu, or the bald psychotic waifu? Or which husbando, if you prefer?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

THE loving MOON posted:

It has 6 wheel drive you have to switch over to for steeper hills. Saw my buddy have this exact thing happen to him a few times.

Hah what, are you serious? What an odd little feature.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I want the next mass effect to have no combat and be nothing but talking to aliens.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

Is this this thing where you are finding a secret research project? Because I did that and it says I completed it but as far as I can tell I didn't get anything for it?

Yeah. You get viability for it (like 2%) but you can find her logs in the remnant place and it says to turn it in, so you can turn in those logs, but it doesn't complete the quest. You then have to find the other locations she has visited (which I just randomly ran into since it wasn't marked on the map, all the while it mentions "god i hope we find her and she's alive" even though we already found out she's dead) and when every step has been filled in, then it gives you the points instead of just jumping to the end when you find the body.

Some quests are like that in general and it's really frustrating (the tasks) because you have no idea where you are in the segment.

Also sometimes the game thinks you are in combat because an enemy is nearby, but they've clipped through the floor and you can't find it so you just have to run away :\

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

King Cohort posted:

But which waifu did you pick in Bioware Romance Simulator: Space Edition? The blue waifu, the mysterious masked waifu, or the bald psychotic waifu? Or which husbando, if you prefer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hi friends, today's the day I get to play this game and share my thoughts with all of you! :) just gotta get through a day of work first.

As they say, "see you in Andromeda!" ;) :) :h: