Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

First superboss: Lmao I was laughing so loving hard at his stupid bouncing heads and sped up theme song that I let myself get killed by his big explosion attack. loving incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alain Post posted:

big ending spoilers, so has YoRHa constantly been getting destroyed and reformed, or did I not understand that bit

I don't believe it's outright stated as fact but the insinuation is precisely that, yeah. Makes no sense for this to be the 14th Machine War if the Machines and Androids have been fighting each other on the orders of their dead masters unless there's downtime, and that downtime is only really explained by the fact that YoRHa does what YoRHa does.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alain Post posted:

big ending spoilers, so has YoRHa constantly been getting destroyed and reformed, or did I not understand that bit

That's the implication, yes. Remember, it's been something like 5000 years since the machines first invaded, so countless YoRHa units (or organizations like it) have likely been formed, sent to battle, then destroyed once the relevant data has been acquired.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Vermain posted:

2B's flip-flops make sense in the context of her likely knowing the secret behind YoRHa already. As an Execution-type model whose specific purpose is to kill 9S whenever he gets too close to the truth, she'd have to know what the truth is to do her duty properly, not to mention her having killed 9S several times already. She's torn between the knowledge that machines aren't really just soulless monsters - that they can think and feel - and the knowledge that, if she lets on to this too much, 9S' natural curiosity will lead him to start questioning things too closely, and then she'll have to execute him all over again.

Why did I never consider that. It makes total sense why she'd clench her fist in anger after having to repeat the whole "Glory to mankind" spiel if she knows it's total bullshit.

Alain Post posted:

No. It's a one time deal to kill off everyone who knows about the human server and removes the middle man so presumably the fake "Council of Humanity" would be the only authority left commanding the rest of androidkind.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

Nina posted:

No. It's a one time deal to kill off everyone who knows about the human server and removes the middle man so presumably the fake "Council of Humanity" would be the only authority left commanding the rest of androidkind.

Don't the pods mention that the have rebuilt 2B/9S multiple times and that they hope eventually something different will happen? They seem to be outside the wipe cycle and are developing sentiment

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Vermain posted:

That's the implication, yes. Remember, it's been something like 5000 years since the machines first invaded, so countless YoRHa units (or organizations like it) have likely been formed, sent to battle, then destroyed once the relevant data has been acquired.

To add to this iirc in the stage play the resistance androids are said to be survivors of previous descents, like from hundreds of years ago, and they're explicitly not yorha types

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nina posted:

Why did I never consider that. It makes total sense why she'd clench her fist in anger after having to repeat the whole "Glory to mankind" spiel if she knows it's total bullshit.

It's a lot more obvious on a replay of route A that she's lying through clenched teeth at several points. She claims to not know what a type E android is... despite one having been in her squad at the start of the game (7E), who was assigned to 11B (the android who was attempting to desert).

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Just got this yesterday. After clearing the first segment and going to the space station, I sold my OS chip on accident :shepface:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

lets hang out posted:

To add to this iirc in the stage play the resistance androids are said to be survivors of previous descents, like from hundreds of years ago, and they're explicitly not yorha types

I gotta wonder how much of the stage play concept is still canon. It's explicitly mentioned several times in Automata since A2, Anemone and the Red Girls are all from it but then there's weird stuff like Seed claiming she's met humans. Then again it's entirely possible those are fake implanted memories since androids being programmed with some is a plot point in the play.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Did anyone subtitle the stage play? Granted in the clip I saw the stage was so tiny the actors kinda just talk at the audience but still

Yeah I could just read the script but I'd like the intended experience

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is the stage play the same thing as anemone's computer journal that she lets a2 read from the 3rd playthrough?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not subbed yet, I don't know if anyone is working on it either.

Manatee Cannon posted:

is the stage play the same thing as anemone's computer journal that she lets a2 read from the 3rd playthrough?

Sorta, it goes past what the in game thing covers and talks about other things past it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I think at one point there was a subtitled version out there but the translation was used without permission by a third party

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

^ I think that one just includes a pdf of the translation website

Was kind of hoping the game would inspire someone to sub it

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, just completed ending A and have to say it was real stupid he only just arrived from the bunker 15 minutes ago, so what if he loses memory of the bossfight? I understand that she's probably upset he won't get all this EXP but it doesn't really warrant all the crying and drama I know there is more to the game, hopefully it's not quite as dumb.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Optimally I feel they should release DLC and just make that scenario playable. It kinda sucks that if you just play the game the whole history of A2 and the terminals is lost on you because the summary you get doesn't go into full detail.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Well, just completed ending A and have to say it was real stupid he only just arrived from the bunker 15 minutes ago, so what if he loses memory of the bossfight? I understand that she's probably upset he won't get all this EXP but it doesn't really warrant all the crying and drama I know there is more to the game, hopefully it's not quite as dumb.

There's more to it than meets the eye.

Nina posted:

Optimally I feel they should release DLC and just make that scenario playable. It kinda sucks that if you just play the game the whole history of A2 and the terminals is lost on you because the summary you get doesn't go into full detail.

Any story DLC should 100% be about A2. She plays best and would benefit most from it and she's cutest and I bet her old clothes were better than 2B's too.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It would feel a lot like drakengard 3 selling its backstories as dlc but this game is actually good + fun so I'll allow it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

dumb and kinda scared posted:

B does shed light on what the stakes are

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I really do love 2B's voice acting as the game goes along. Her "SHUT UP" when 042 suggests leaving behind 9S at the end of run A was such a great line delivery

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Any story DLC should 100% be about A2. She plays best and would benefit most from it and she's cutest and I bet her old clothes were better than 2B's too.

yea that'd be great. they really under utilized the character

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Currently going through Route A for the first time and I've gotta say I was pretty blindsided by the revelation that the aliens have been loving dead for centuries, and thanks to their own robots no less. It's so weird to see non-human species get killed off thanks to their hubris. Though now I've got a sneaking suspicion that humanity is also extinct, and that for centuries this entire war has been completely pointless :smith:

I hear it's possible to miss one of the endings, but I'm afraid to look up details for fear of spoilers. At what point should I start worrying about missing it?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
by the way, regarding A2's intro

is there a reason she murks the Forest King besides wanting to kill machines

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

U-DO Burger posted:

Currently going through Route A for the first time and I've gotta say I was pretty blindsided by the revelation that the aliens have been loving dead for centuries, and thanks to their own robots no less. It's so weird to see non-human species get killed off thanks to their hubris. Though now I've got a sneaking suspicion that humanity is also extinct, and that for centuries this entire war has been completely pointless :smith:

I hear it's possible to miss one of the endings, but I'm afraid to look up details for fear of spoilers. At what point should I start worrying about missing it?

It is impossible to miss out on any of the real endings. The ones you can miss out on are basically non-standard game overs (like dying in the intro of the game) that you can get later when you unlock chapter select anyway.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I like the revelation in C about Machine Cores. It suddenly makes sense why they sell for so much. And makes it a little more morbid

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Alain Post posted:

Nnnope. Not really.

Her entire character just seems to be her being a machine-killing vagabond trying to figure out how to take revenge but it's really undetailed

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alain Post posted:

I really do love 2B's voice acting as the game goes along. Her "SHUT UP" when 042 suggests leaving behind 9S at the end of run A was such a great line delivery

I'd never actually heard of Kira Buckland before this game, but she does a fantastic job with the script. In general, the English dub is superbly done.

Alain Post posted:

She just hates machines in general and wants to kill them. She's given up on the "love" side of the human equation, which is also why her sexy outfit has almost completely disintegrated.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

All the English cast are extremely good.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

A2 is android Guts and Operation Pearl Harbor was her Eclipse

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nina posted:

Nnnope. Not really.

Her entire character just seems to be her being a machine-killing vagabond trying to figure out how to take revenge but it's really undetailed

at first I thought the 3rd playthrough would just be a2 during the same timeframe as 2b and 9s' runs through a and b. I really wish they'd gone more into her as a character since she basically doesn't exist until you're at least halfway done with the game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

There are a total of [5] "real" endings, with a number of "you hosed up" gag endings (like removing your OS Chip) along with that number. All of the endings are fairly self-explanatory - just continue the game from the save you made at the end of the previous ending - except for the last two, which require you to play through both of the options during the game's last major choice, which you can do through the Chapter select. Needless to say, none of the "real" endings can be permanently missed.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The further I get into the story and the more robots I kill the worse I feel about mowing them all down :(

Like I was feeling lovely when it got to the forest, but in NG+ it's like ugh...

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Manatee Cannon posted:

at first I thought the 3rd playthrough would just be a2 during the same timeframe as 2b and 9s' runs through a and b. I really wish they'd gone more into her as a character since she basically doesn't exist until you're at least halfway done with the game

Yeah she's really "Hope you guys went to see the stage play!" the character

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SHISHKABOB posted:

The further I get into the story and the more robots I kill the worse I feel about mowing them all down :(

Tell me about it. The scene at the beginning of the second playthrough was a real heartbreaker

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

gently caress me the second superboss: I'm fighting with tears in my eyes god drat it gently caress this game

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

gently caress me the second superboss: I'm fighting with tears in my eyes god drat it gently caress this game

Let him explode the first time.
That's how you get ending Y, Kainé

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you're on PC and using the resolution fix, download this and use the Testing branch on the installer to try out the thing that may up your FPS considerably.

https://github.com/Kaldaien/FAR/releases

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Vermain posted:

I'd never actually heard of Kira Buckland before this game, but she does a fantastic job with the script. In general, the English dub is superbly done.
The only other thing I know her from is Marvy from one of the Neptunia games. Maybe I'll give the dub a chance if I play through the game again in the future.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I think 9s' english va surprised me the most.(ending c/d)He starts out just fine and on par with the rest but when things get gritty holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Let him explode the first time.
That's how you get ending Y, Kainé

Yeah I did it.

And that's it, Platinum achieved. What an amazing way to close out such a fantastic game.

I need to go do something else now that won't rip my heart out and make me cry.