Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

They're very good

I liked the KIT translation better so I've only watched a couple minutes of it. I'll give them another shot this weekend

Just bought my ticket for Power Rangers, gonna go after work tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I liked the KIT translation better so I've only watched a couple minutes of it. I'll give them another shot this weekend

Just bought my ticket for Power Rangers, gonna go after work tomorrow

Oh no doubt, KIT was better

Just you know, take what you can get

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Chat's reaction to the Land Shark attack was just what I hoped.

Vexacus is the best villain. Anyone who doesn't like Ninja Storm should watch that psychopathic shark and just revel in his pure hammy glory. :allears:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Vexacus is the best villain. Anyone who doesn't like Ninja Storm should watch that psychopathic shark and just revel in his pure hammy glory. :allears:

They did a good job considering they didn't have Char's voice to go with it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Burkion posted:

in what ways are they different?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

Are there Hawaiian subs for Kamen Rider or just V3?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mikeycp posted:

in what ways are they different?

Mostly just translation stuff. It's all correct, but it's not in the same style as Kit Subs, and they leave certain things untranslated at times, mostly honorifics.

Light Gun Man posted:

Are there Hawaiian subs for Kamen Rider or just V3?

Only V3- V3, Kikaider and Kikaider 01 are the only series that got picked up from that era, by a Hawaiian company. It's why their DVDs are so freaking expensive.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Burkion posted:

they leave certain things untranslated at times, mostly honorifics.

oh gross

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I fuckin love Ninja Storm

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I've made the joke before, but in hand, it's actually uncanny:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Buresu!"

"Wairudo!"

"Buresu Wairudo!"
[Ocarina Solo]

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
They already have red and blue and gray joycons and buddy I will complete the set if they give me the chance with green, yellow, and silver. I will line my joycons up alongside my gaia memories if they give me the chance.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I have finished Drive aside from the remaining movies.

I'm emotionally upset.

EDIT - Also, Neo-Shade? G is canon?!

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 23, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TFRazorsaw posted:

I have finished Drive aside from the remaining movies.

I'm emotionally upset.

EDIT - Also, Neo-Shade? G is canon?!

The jacket is very cool and I liked Gosling's cool demeanor, also the Kavinsky music! In all seriousness, Kavinsky should score a toku show or movie. The upcoming Power Rangers movie would be way cooler with synthwave.

Is Drive cool? Last Kamen Rider show I watched to the end was OOO, fun show.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 23, 2017

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Drive is great. Kinda weak start, but it picks up toward the middle and has one of the best endings in the franchise imo. It also has a great supporting cast and villains. The main rider isn't the most interesting guy on the show but main riders rarely are in my experience. I still like him a lot compared to most of the other neo heisei protags.

Kiriko should've been a rider though.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
So with the EX-Aid Excite sub out I can finally bring up the new episode without spoiler tags, at least to me.

I feel like with the new episode it becomes even more abundantly clear that if Kiriya hadn't died in episode 13, this show would already be over; this isn't the first time it's became clear that while Dan thinks he's playing chess and everyone else is playing Checkers, Kiriya checkmated him 10 turns ago and was just letting him hang himself. At this point Kiriya feels like he's legitimately in the running for one of the smartest characters in the franchise, because even dead he's basically the only reason the heroes are still winning.

Which makes his stupid death even more jarring; he had to die because otherwise the entire show wouldn't have made any sense, I get that. By the time he died he had already predicted Dan would make Dangerous Zombie, would become invulnerable, and had combined video game programming and doctoring- while being NEITHER of those things- in a way that beat him. There is no way to have a character like that live and the show be interesting because he's just on a completely different level from everyone else.

It still doesn't explain why he tried to use the Dangerous Zombie Gashat like he didn't expect Dan to be playing him, and it still confuses the hell out of me. But drat do I love Kiriya.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
While I agree that Kiriya was always on another level from the other non-Kuroto Riders and all of CR, it's a huge stretch to say he was 10 steps ahead of Kuroto and setting him up to fail. Ex-Aid hasn't implied that in any way. He was certainly aware that Kuroto was a super bad dude and probably had complex world domination plans, sure, but I'd say that was from much more of a "poo poo will go down" vague macro level and not some detailed defensive effort. Kiriya had the strong hunch that there was a wider conspiracy at hand, but he was gathering as much information as possible through his detective work, which is why Kuroto killed him. Yeah, he found the formula to rewrite virus data, but that was designed to augment Emu's abilities against the Bugsters and not overtly take down Dangerous Zombie. Hiiro was adept enough to apply that knowledge to countering Kuroto's zombie powers. That's pretty much it. I find it very hard to believe Kiriya had any specific knowledge of Dangerous Zombie's existence. Maybe Kiriya had his suspicions that Kuroto was going to make a powerful new gashat, but the fact that he activated Dangerous Zombie and fell into his trap shows that he was outmatched in the grand scheme and really didn't see the detailed picture. I think that was the whole point of his plot arc and the climactic warehouse showdown scene. Kiriya fashioned himself as an ultra effective detective dude who had Kuroto's number or some such, but was ultimately somewhat too naive in his arrogance and in over his head. Which is what led to his demise.

Kiriya owns though, and the show would've been over very early if he didn't die. For sure. He's the only Ex-Aid character I really love (besides Kuroto of course) and I was heartbroken over his death.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 23, 2017

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
oh I don't think he specifically knew 'Dan is making Dangerous Zombie'. I probably phrased that badly. It's more he seemed aware that Dan would try to cheat the rules of the games he designed and had already been working on figuring out a way to stop him from cheating, or something like that. If he knew exactly how he was going to do it that'd be silly, but I think that, like you said, he was very much aware 'These are the rules and Dan basically made them, so Dan is going to cheat them somehow. So I'm going to cheat them back.'.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i think it was also to some degree kiriya figuring that they'd need a more long term solution for dealing with the game virus than just getting the CR to bop a bugster whenever they crop up

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
calling everyone to meet at an abandoned factory and then arriving early was real dumb, though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think on one level, Kiriya wanted to be the hero and take care of it himself

partly to spare Emu a bit, I think

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And that's Movie War Genesis and Heart/Mach down.

I am so glad Genesis doesn't have to be my last memory of Drive because it is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawful.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Power Rangers movie is alright. The only thing that really bugged me is there's very little melee superheroics

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Power Rangers movie is alright. The only thing that really bugged me is there's very little melee superheroics

After watching (some) of iron fist and hearing that, I worry for the hand-to-hand heroics of modern western media.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

After watching (some) of iron fist and hearing that, I worry for the hand-to-hand heroics of modern western media.

This season of Arrow has gotten pretty on point with it actually.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

What you aren't supposed to cut 50 times in a 35 second action shot?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/_Erasu/status/845307428992417792

Gaim is the one series where I actually really really like the S.I.C. style.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel it worked pretty well for Faiz, Hibiki, Den-O, and OOO as well

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

I want that Zangetsu Shin SIC so badly. Wow. :swoon:

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I enjoyed the PR movie a lot more than I thought I would. Maybe I went in with low expectations, but I thought it was entertaining and I'd definitely go see a sequel or two if they get made. I'll echo what Dickeye said about the lack of melee, but I thought the zords made up for it. I think the zords were pulled off a hell of a lot better in motion than the terrible toys, as well. There were obviously a lot of callbacks, but I really think the rangers stand well on their own. I went to the last showing, so it was a light crowd, but there were a good number of laughs and even some cheers.

Overall I'd say give it a shot if you think you'd like it. Not a masterpiece or anything, but I found it fun and of course better than any of the recent PR shows I've watched.

The only thing I really missed which is probably just me being stuck-up and wanting everything was a proper roll call. Has anyone seen the remix they used in the movie floating around anywhere?

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Just got back from seeing the Power Rangers movie.

I went in thinking this was going to be one of the worst things i'll see all year but enjoyable because i'd be watching it with friends and it ended up being a pretty fun movie although extremely stupid at times..well most of the time.

Man, the theater went absolute apeshit when that ugly Megazord slapped Rita into space!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

How did that movie work?! Everything about it seemed loving awful on paper!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It worked because they did the "teenagers with attitude" thing in a very relatable way.

I had some chatty semi-rowdy teens behind me and when Kim grabs the scissors, one snarkingly remarked "now cut yourself on the forearm", and when she opens the scissors and then looks up and stares at the mirror he actually said "oh sh..." because he didn't expect a movie with the PR license would even go there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I thought it was gonna go there too!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I have mixed feelings about the Power Rangers movie.

The first ten, fifteen minutes are awful. But once detention is over and Billy and Jason hang out, it gets okay. The big problem I had was when the movie was about Power Rangers, and relating to Power Rangers, it was actually pretty fun and enjoyable. When it was crap like Kimberly telling Jason about how she sent nude photos of her friends to people, it was pretty bad.

At any rate, I don't regret seeing it. In fact I sort of like it to a degree, I just wish the non-Power Rangers parts had been better. If there's a sequel I'll definitely go see it. Hopefully it will grow out of dumb stuff like "I jacked off a bull" and "I jacked off in the shower" (at least I assume that's what the joke was going for). It also needed more (and better) non-Zord fight scenes. Kinda disappointed that Jason was the only one who used his weapon, and also that there was no finisher. I guess maybe they thought a finisher would have been too cheesy but it's just anticlimactic to have the Megazord stab the monster and that be the end of it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
No roll call? No finishing moves? How can they even call this Power Rangers?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
They didn't even have a group pose with explosions in the background.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man, is it any surprise Emu gets along better with Lucky than his actual friends?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Man, is it any surprise Emu gets along better with Lucky than his actual friends?

I haven't seen it yet (waiting for EXCITE subs) but I'm reminded of how well Kouta in the Gaim and ToQGer crossover special got along with the ToQGers compared to the mess that was the Gaim Riders. Then again when one of the people he thought was a close friend was Micchy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

At least Taiga and Hiiro are up front about it.

• Locked thread