Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A 2 hour Breaking Bad would probably cater to all the "Walter White is not a bad guy" people who just wanted to see him be some action hero with science. Cut out all that pesky character and ethic stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

A 2 hour Breaking Bad would probably cater to all the "Walter White is not a bad guy" people who just wanted to see him be some action hero with science. Cut out all that pesky character and ethic stuff.

It would be cool to see how many different movies you could make out of Breaking Bad. Not in an attempt to summarize the series, but just using it as raw footage to cut a story from. You could make a movie entirely about almost any character in the movie.

Like you could a movie entirely about Skyler and Marie and how their husband's chosen pursuits destroy their lives. Like, being the wife of a cop doesn't make you safer than being the wife of a criminal.

There's lots of cool stuff you could do.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Does anyone listen to any podcasts that go on about TV shows? I know of the X-Files Files and Gilmore Guys, but I never really watched those shows. I like the West Wing Weekly a lot and the fact that they get so many people from the show including people you would never think of like the set designer.

Any other good TV podcasts out there?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I hope this is the right thread for this.

I am currently watching House on Netflix. House will be removed from Netflix on April 1st, so I'm trying finish it. I can't humanly watch everything, so I'm wondering if anyone would happen to have a short list of the 'vital' episodes that summarize the rest of the story? There are minor developments in most episodes, but I'm looking for the spark notes version of the remainder of the series.

I just finished episode 2 of season 6. I jumped to episode 19 of the same season because I heard this season was a lame duck other than Cameron leaving Chase after he killed the dictator. Did I miss anything else in season 6? What should I watch from the last two seasons to close it out succinctly?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shadow225 posted:

I just finished episode 2 of season 6. I jumped to episode 19 of the same season because I heard this season was a lame duck other than Cameron leaving Chase after he killed the dictator. Did I miss anything else in season 6? What should I watch from the last two seasons to close it out succinctly?

The last two seasons are baaaaaad. I guess maybe the finale of season 7 because it ends in the most batshit way possible, and the finale of 8, and call it a day?

Edit: Jesus, like, every late '90s / early '00s Fox show is leaving Netflix on April 1.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 22, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's an April fools joke...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

Maybe it's an April fools joke...

Doubtful. Ted Sarandos has never wavered over his message from the past six months that the vast majority of its content spend is and will continue to be focused upon Netflix Originals and that they've drastically cut back on their spend on licensing content from the major studios.

There's a reason the current streaming library is about a third of what it was in 2013 or so.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Timby posted:

The last two seasons are baaaaaad. I guess maybe the finale of season 7 because it ends in the most batshit way possible, and the finale of 8, and call it a day?

Edit: Jesus, like, every late '90s / early '00s Fox show is leaving Netflix on April 1.

I agree with this, the last 2 seasons were pretty dire and you'd get what little there is to get from the finales. But you have a week and a half, that's enough to mainline 2 seasons if you really wanted to.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I'm sad we're losing X-Files, half way through Season 8 :(

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Timby posted:

Will the season finale of 7 explain why there apparently is a brand new team for season 8, or is there some backstory in that season I should catch for that

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shadow225 posted:

Will the season finale of 7 explain why there apparently is a brand new team for season 8, or is there some backstory in that season I should catch for that

You can probably pick it up via osmosis from the finale.

I'll leave it at that because it really is so crazy that it has to be seen to be believed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A good chunk of the FOX stuff is on Hulu.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

A good chunk of the FOX stuff is on Hulu.

Horay, ads!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Timby posted:

Doubtful. Ted Sarandos has never wavered over his message from the past six months that the vast majority of its content spend is and will continue to be focused upon Netflix Originals and that they've drastically cut back on their spend on licensing content from the major studios.

There's a reason the current streaming library is about a third of what it was in 2013 or so.

Yeah I think its time I quit netflix. I never quit streaming sites, but its just not got anything I need to see. Well, after I see Train to Busan.

edit; can you do that on the app, or do I have to go to the website and vainly attempt to remember my password

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know whose cocaine habit made this happen, but God bless them:

Crackle has an original series based on Snatch starring Rupert Grint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqspjopFkxM

The best part is? It's already up. You can watch it right now and find out if it's even remotely as good as that trailer is.

I'm about to do that myself, join me!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

precision posted:

I don't know whose cocaine habit made this happen, but God bless them:

Crackle has an original series based on Snatch starring Rupert Grint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqspjopFkxM

The best part is? It's already up. You can watch it right now and find out if it's even remotely as good as that trailer is.

I'm about to do that myself, join me!
That's literally the worst trailer I've ever season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

That's literally the worst trailer I've ever season.

It's both really good and really bad. I have a soft spot for trashy UK poo poo. Can't wait to see Trainspotting 2 eg.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I saw Renton bitching about Facebook and Twitter in the same vein as his "choose life" speech on the T2 trailer I knew it would be terrible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IRQ posted:

Horay, ads!

Or you could pay the extra $3 and not have them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shageletic posted:

edit; can you do that on the app, or do I have to go to the website and vainly attempt to remember my password

Almost positive it has to be done on the actual website so they can first beg you to stay, then ask you your cancellation reason, and then send you an email in a week begging you to come back and they'll give you some free disc rentals.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Or you could pay the extra $3 and not have them.

Yeah, that's what I did. It's great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

You can find out yourself! A fan released a 2 hour movie version of BB last week. I didn't see it, but the link was all over Reddit. At least the nightmare people there had enough sense to trash it in the comments before it was taken down from Vimeo. Sure it's available elsewhere, though.

But on this note, watched a chronological cut of Westworld not too long ago. They fast-forwarded through all the story that didn't directly tie into Dolores's journey into consciousness. It was fantastic. Obviously not as a replacement of the show or anything a first time viewer should watch, but a great experiment, and a great companion piece for anyone wanting to gain a slightly deeper understanding of what exactly happened when. I had a good understanding of the timeline going in, but it added a whole other level seeing it from Dolores's point of view.

But hey, I'm the guy who has watched two different chronological cuts of LOST (one that's a cut of events literally chronologically, one as a cut of the chronology from the characters's subjective POVs, intercutting between narratives happening at the same subjective but different objective times) and loved them, so what do I know?

As an experiment in editing, storytelling, and character these sorts of things are great, supplementary watching when done well. As an attempt at a replacement of the original they're garbage.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 22, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a famous fan edit of Dune but it's also garbage. Still fun as hell to watch though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm halfway through the first episode of Snatch and it's going for more of an Edgar Wright ripoff vibe than straight Danny Boyle ripoff and it's actually a lot better than that trailer looks. Like it's straight up a Recommend at this point.

Also Crackle has an original series about a young punk female hacker, a straight laced guy, and a "thug" from "the hood" who start up at bitcoin operation and it looks like, yes, Halt and Break Bad and is probably terrible but I'll also probably check it out because it looks hilarious

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

When I saw Renton bitching about Facebook and Twitter in the same vein as his "choose life" speech on the T2 trailer I knew it would be terrible.

100% this (although it's apparently more meh than just terrible)

also the movie Snatch is Guy Ritchie, not Danny Boyle

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Snak posted:

Yeah, that's what I did. It's great.

It's legitimately one of the best streaming investments you can make.

People who whine about Hulu nowadays are weird to me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The CW app has hosed up the last couple of weeks and shown the next episode preview of the show I'm currently watching.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I doubt The Clone Wars will be rivaled in TV animation for another 20 years either.

What made it so good? I never watched it, but I thought it looked kinda goofy in the couple of short Youtube clips I saw over the years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

100% this (although it's apparently more meh than just terrible)

Actually Trainspotting 2 has gotten mostly very good reviews including from goons in the thread I made for it that nobody is using :(

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

no idea if this is the right place to ask but: would people be interested in a thread that highlighted the Netflix comedy specials? Discussion could be expanded to other hour long standups but I really want to talk about Dave Chappelle's two new specials. I could put something together rather quickly if there's enough interest

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Carlosologist posted:

no idea if this is the right place to ask but: would people be interested in a thread that highlighted the Netflix comedy specials? Discussion could be expanded to other hour long standups but I really want to talk about Dave Chappelle's two new specials. I could put something together rather quickly if there's enough interest

Maybe a thread for stand up specials in general. Comedy Central and HBO usually have a couple big names a year as well. But yeah, I love me some standup and would follow a thread like that. Maybe it could be a place to talk about things like Bill Murray's Christmas Special or Michael Bolton's Super Sexy Valentines special too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

What made it so good? I never watched it, but I thought it looked kinda goofy in the couple of short Youtube clips I saw over the years.

The animation quality is cinematic, straight-up. Hence why they released the first (terrible) few episodes as a feature film. Each episode looks better than your average Dreamworks flick, especially stylistically. The modeling, textures, rigging/animation, number of unique environments, number of unique characters, lighting/particle/smoke/etc. effects, music, voice acting, art direction, etc. are easily unrivaled in the television animation arena. Watch a Clone Wars clip and a Rebels clip back to back and you'll see a massive budget and general quality difference. Everyone in Rebels moves like a stiff robot, everyone in Clone Wars moves like an organic creature.The entire first season of Rebels took place on one planet so it could keep reusing the same characters and locations over and over again because making new assets is expensive. You'll see the same Imperial officer in the background of any shot involving the Empire throughout the series. Often multiples of that model. Each 1-3 episode Rebels arc has all new characters, environments, ships, effects, etc.

Its writing also sets it apart. Not only is it very well written, but it specifically doesn't condescend to kids and cares very deeply about storytelling. It's basically an anthology format show, so some episodes are duds. It's got a weird sense of humor and because of the anthology format the tone is all over the place episode-to-episode. But overall the show is technically undeniably impressive and ahead of it's time.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 23, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Clone Wars actually made Jar Jar funny in a few episodes.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I only have a passing interest in Star Wars for the most part but the Clone Wars TV series had some excellent episodes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

swickles posted:

Maybe a thread for stand up specials in general. Comedy Central and HBO usually have a couple big names a year as well. But yeah, I love me some standup and would follow a thread like that. Maybe it could be a place to talk about things like Bill Murray's Christmas Special or Michael Bolton's Super Sexy Valentines special too.

There's a stand-up comedy discussion thread in the Rapidly Going Deaf forum, which is 1/3 about stand-up specials, 1/3 about live shows and performing, and 1/3 people talking poo poo about Amy Schumer.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451683

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
feedmyleg are you watching the new Samurai Jack? easily the best-looking western animated TV I've ever seen mmmmmfffffffffff

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
the new Samurai Jack is a loving masterclass in how to direct animation

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So was the original.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Genndy is one of the most talented people alive today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm still really made about Symbionic Titan.

It's okay that it got cancelled. It's not okay that they took it off Cartoon Network's website, never released it on DVD in region 1, and scrubbed it from youtube. I just want to watch it in decent quality!

I just want to watch it again! It's so good!

• Locked thread