Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Maybe it would be helpful NOT to use the widest possible formation for a massive attack on a short stretch of land. Columns / deep formations have their own virtue.

i went with tall vs wide during the charge, partly figuring that the first few ranks could serve as ablative armor for the guys behind them, also considering that we seemingly have a lot of different attacks on a fairly small front and it'd be good to avoid getting in each others' way

but then switching back to wide (although my version of wide is a lot less wide than the rest of yalls apparently) in the forest

BUT all of that is secondary to moving fast. if there's spotted enemies and it's time to fight, or if i'm caught in a traffic jam (as we surely will be at the ford and almost certainly at whatever erections await us on the other side), then i'm figuring my formations will come into play. if there's nobody in sight just fuckin' run down your arrow and do what you need to do at the end of it, that's what i sort of envision

also, quoting this from the last post of last page in case people might miss it:

mossyfisk posted:

aphid_licker and Saros, you might want to confer a bit on your orders. As FathisMunk has pointed out, both cavalry and infantry are being ordered to run into each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Posting for the thread, but I'm currently operating under the assumption the British would have set up their defensive emplacements in the north to be in a position to cover the fords, so relatively far foward. As discussed in Roll20, I'll work up a checkerboard that covers a bit further into the forest, 4 inches isn't all that much more than what is currently covered if my measurements are right.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

from my selfish perspective i would really love for the artillery fire to really gently caress up any MGs/AH set up at the SE corner of the FdE, so as to cover the ford i'm going to have to cross

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

oystertoadfish posted:

from my selfish perspective i would really love for the artillery fire to really gently caress up any MGs/AH set up at the SE corner of the FdE, so as to cover the ford i'm going to have to cross

As is that corner is getting pasted, will ensure it remains so in any alterations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'd still like you to put at least a little fire on that road leading to ford A, at the FdE edge. Saros and I wanted artillery fire there because he thought the British might put any of their ACs that survived the fighting at Steth in places like that. Or just in case of pickets in general.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

sniper4625 posted:

4 inches isn't all that much

:agreed: :wink:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Still need orders for engineering and also the 88th infantry. Don't be overly polite, just post orders and it's yours, we have a bunch more coming anyway. I'll be back to link all the orders in a few hours.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

mossyfisk posted:

ATTN Trin: I am a little unclear on the effect of one of the Standing Orders, "When sighting an enemy 12" or less away on Attack stance". Does this mean when my guys are attacking, or if we see an enemy force moving?

"When you are on Attack and you see an enemy". If you're on Defend, I don't need a standing order because you're not going anywhere.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

oh i'm glad you mentioned that, i kind of assumed it meant that the spotted enemy had to be in Attack stance for the condition to fire. On second thought (first thought, really) I guess there would be no real way for us to know that.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Flesnolk posted:

I'd still like you to put at least a little fire on that road leading to ford A, at the FdE edge. Saros and I wanted artillery fire there because he thought the British might put any of their ACs that survived the fighting at Steth in places like that. Or just in case of pickets in general.

If you so order, I'll include it in my revised plans when I get home.

Nthing my concerns that we will have no intelligence on the ground we intend to cross and attack until the event itself, which if the enemy takes the morning to quickmarch reinforcements could be a fatal mistake.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 22, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I do so order. Nothing insane like the entire barrage, but I want at least some shells going there.

For a reminder, in this image I mean the little red blob on the northeast end of FdE:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

Nthing my concerns that we will have no intelligence on the ground we intend to cross and attack until the event itself, which if the enemy takes the morning to quickmarch reinforcements could be a fatal mistake.

I understand your concerns, but I'm unsure what to do to address them without rewriting the plan.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
E: No longer valid.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 23, 2017

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
And i'm back does anything require my input still

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
What about the defences on our side of the southern bridge I asked for?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'm just going to propose that engineering and artillery be rolled into the division commanders, and that the two people assigned to them take command of brigades. Their "orders" now are just a reification of what divcom wants anyway.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Updated my orders with correct arrows on the map

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I will have my orders up in a few hours.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Flesnolk posted:

I understand your concerns, but I'm unsure what to do to address them without rewriting the plan.

My thought was that 3rd Brigade could move slightly, as they're currently doing nothing until 1130 anyway. Otherwise guess we're hoping for the best!

At the very least that brigade of infantry going south should really be taking up positions in the forest instead of vulnerably sitting on the valleys ede.

I can take a different/additional command if absolutely required but RL is not very conducive to doing so at the moment.

Edit: Perhaps a retask of the scout plane?

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 23, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Added Space posted:

I'm just going to propose that engineering and artillery be rolled into the division commanders, and that the two people assigned to them take command of brigades. Their "orders" now are just a reification of what divcom wants anyway.

Yeah, I agree with this. At this point it would be easier and more enjoyable for me to stay engaged as just a staff officer.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. At this point it would be easier and more enjoyable for me to stay engaged as just a staff officer.

Stein I would appreciate an engineer to do wirecutting following behind​ 2bde over the central bridge so we can bring up our late arriving infantry much faster.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Saros posted:

Stein I would appreciate an engineer to do wirecutting following behind​ 2bde over the central bridge so we can bring up our late arriving infantry much faster.

Seconding, as that's the likely route my artillery will take when we eventually move up.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Orders received so far:

Corps command(Flesnolk)

Saros' Cavdiv

2. Kav Brigade(S H M F M von Austern-Krötenfisch)

3. Kav Brigade(Mossyfisk)

4. Kav Brigade(Koolkevz666)

4th Division (Aphid_Licker)

86th Infantry(Added space)

87th Infantry(Capfalcon)

89th Infantry (Fathis Munk)

88th Hopefully Ikasuhito soon, otherwise refer to div commander's orders.

1. Independent autonomous rugged individualist artillery brigade (Sniper4625)

Injunirs (Steinrokkan)

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

88th Brigade orders up!

Brigade should enter the map on southern road in Battle formation and move along rout shown as best they can.

Once Brigade has reached it's destination, it should position itself like so (taking into account any accidental overlap with 87th.)

Standing Orders.
If enemy is spotted in rout to final position Brigade should Stop and turn face them
If the 87th comes under fire Brigade should position itself along their most convenient flank and face the enemy to provide support.
Use Rifles
If brigade come across obstructions: Go around not through
If enemy flees Do not pursue
Break off at 2/3 casualties.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
It's been said many times, you can't give an order to automatically avoid obstacles.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Jaguars! posted:

2. Kav Brigade(S H M F M von Austern-Krötenfisch)

i'm thinking i should simplify the first names so it's just S M H v A-Kf. that's Funny. i'm also not certain if the later names in the 30 second german aristocrat first name brainstorming session are even german

Seigfried Maria Hermann von Austern-Krötenfisch, perhaps? yes, this matters; a whole lot

maria is non-negotiable though, no idea if it's period-appropriate but i've seen that name stuck to german aristocrats of earlier centuries, i think

nobody said anything about the draft orders i wrote linked in Jaguars!' post, so unless people click through and feel my orders are bad and say so in this thread in the next hour or two, i'll just leave it at that

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 23, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'll just copy-paste it over, removing the questions and some extraneousity

:siren:== 2Bde FOR REAL ORDERS RIDE OR DIE==:siren:

--Turn 49, 0800 through Turn 56, 1130:--

Bedraggled Remnants

Remain in Defensive stance, dismounted, until Turn 56, 1130. Mount and switch to Attack stance then.

CONDITIONAL: In the event of an enemy attack before Turn 56, 1130, hold the Taillis Douche and the entrenchments connecting it to Stethoscope. An attack afterwards should be met by the Standing Orders dictating a charge.

Reinforcements

Starting at the map edge at the southeastern road to La Dand, follow the arrow in Figure 1 into the Taillis Douche.

If you can March, enter the map in Marching formation and march by road for three (3) turns (you should get somewhere around Area A), switch to Battle formation, turn offroad and march in a straight line to the Taillis Douche.

-If not, march five (5) turns in Battle order to Area A and follow the arrow without stopping.

If you reach the Taillis before 1200, get as close to the forest edge facing the ford as possible; fill out the trenches IN the forest, but not next to it, then bunch up as close to the forest edge as possible. No matter where you are on Turn 57,1200, start charging.

CONDITIONAL: In the event of an enemy attack before Turn 56, 1130, hold the Taillis Douche and the entrenchments connecting it to Stethoscope, remaining mounted but using rifle fire. An attack afterwards should be met by the Standing Orders dictating a charge.

Figure 1

Standing Orders for Turns 49-56:
When sighting an enemy 12" or less away on Attack stance: Halt and switch to Defend orders
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break Off automatically when: 3/4 casualties are taken

--Turn 57, 1200, and subsequently until receiving further orders:--

:siren: CHARGE! :siren: Whenever possible, companies should detour to avoid the positions of spotted erections (including ones the plane spots), like barbed wire or entrenchments. Get into the forest as quickly as possible along the arrow in Figure 2, or as closely as the movements of our allies to either side and the presence of spotted erections permit. Clear the southeast corner of the Foret de Effyader of enemy troops.

While moving to the forest, the 'tall' formation in Figure 3 should be followed in theory, but only when it doesn't affect how long it'll take to set up a charge into the edge of the forest. MG and AH are to be ready and able to fire on the turn when the cavalry hit the forest edge, firing in support.

Once the southeast corner is cleared, MG, AH, and HQ follow the cavalry into the forest.

(If all of our cavalry die in the charge, support units are to continue advancing in support behind other regiments' cavalry/infantry in the forest if such chits are spotted, and to retreat to the Taillis Douche if not.)

Figure 2

Figure 3

Once the southeast corner is cleared, move as quickly as possible along the arrow and adopt the formation on the western edge of the forest shown in Figure 4, or as closely as the movements of our allies to either side permit. The 'wide' formation in Figure 5 should be followed in theory but only when it doesn't affect how long it'll take to get to the positions in Figure 4.

Figure 4

Figure 5

Upon reaching the positions shown in Figure 4, remain in Attack stance.

If Standing Orders trigger a charge, AH and MG will provide support fire while HQ will provide moral encouragement; all three will remain stationary in the forest. After the charge scatters the enemy, cavalry are to return to the positions in Figure 4.

Standing Orders from Turn 57 until receipt of new orders:
When sighting an enemy 12" or less away on Attack stance: Turn and move directly towards enemy
When attacking the enemy: Launch a Bayonet Charge / Cavalry Charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Pursue the enemy
Break Off automatically when: 3/4 casualties are taken

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 23, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

tripleposting cause i just do that. i have no conscience

hey for a family motto how would germans translate 'ride or die?' for the full context of the phrase please consult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VpoqSVFONY

just asking for a friend. a friend named Seigfried Maria Hermann von Austern-Krötenfisch

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I'm baaack. Sorry guys, I had the worst day.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

oystertoadfish posted:

tripleposting cause i just do that. i have no conscience

hey for a family motto how would germans translate 'ride or die?' for the full context of the phrase please consult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VpoqSVFONY

just asking for a friend. a friend named Seigfried Maria Hermann von Austern-Krötenfisch

Reit' oder stirb for the Singular version
Reitet oder sterbt for the plural

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

So, whould the command be willing to take over the engineers directly, it is not against rules.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

They're part of my cav div so I'll do it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thanks!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Do you need orders given for this round? I took at peek and the ones you issued are a bit overly brave and could end out with dead engineers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They are relatively conservative compared to what people have been asking for. The fact that every turn there are like five people giving contradictory orders, often obviously suicidal, is why these autonomous brigades should be controlled by somebody with authority who will not be subject to this squabbling over resources.

VVVV
Done

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 23, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Okay i'll take over then if you want to edit out your previous set.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

My photoshopping is like my generaling, hard and fast

Halfway through this I was no longer sure if it was actually Oystertoadfish who still needed a banner

If it's someone else I'll just edit it, no biggie

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's entirely possible that we won't see any enemy forces this update.

ahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Godspeed Somewhat Mauve Brigade :patriot:

Make me proud.

• Locked thread