Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have 2 Shiny Xerneas, 2 shniy Yvetal, and a shiny Rayquaza. All with 3 optimal stat perfect IVs, and the best natures. And they're all 100% legit, and obtained in my own games. :colbert:

from events

edit: I am the master of bad new page posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Baton pass Extreme Evoboost onto a Geomancy Xerneas and watch as you win every game.

e: mach punch and vacuum wave notwithstanding

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I can't use Xerneas in a tournament! I need a Geomancy Smeargle.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rangpur posted:

This gen it was a Japanese Gastly with 6 perfect IVs--which I assume was a product of someone specifically trying to breed a shiny Mega Gengar (with Perish Song, for that extra touch of 'gently caress you' no less).

Or they were going for one with zero in attack. I've ended up with surplus 6IV stuff so often that yeah, from time to time I'll just jettison it to hopefully someone who will appreciate it. The only time I assume hack is if it's shiny as well. Frig, when I was experimenting with certain mons in PKHex, I always made my illegals shiny so I'd remember they couldn't be used in online play (I forget what I hosed up that they'd get caught by the fakes detector. Something to do with location found).

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eox posted:

Baton pass Extreme Evoboost onto a Geomancy Xerneas and watch as you win every game.

e: mach punch and vacuum wave notwithstanding

I have the item on it for 1 turn Geomancy and everything. :smug:

Rangpur posted:

I can't use Xerneas in a tournament! I need a Geomancy Smeargle.

Give it a year for the forced Alola stuff to go away, and it will be back to Xerneas and Groudon power teams forever. Lunala sucks too much to overthrow either of them. And Solgawho? will never be a thing.

Hrist fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 21, 2017

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Parrotine posted:

Preferably keep it

Well as long as you don't mind if it's a cloned Emerald Groudon I can get you one tonight.

Jithendra
May 23, 2009

iPodschun posted:

Eevee gets used in doubles a little, at least going by Showdown's VGC stats. +Speed nature, 252 HP 252 Speed EVs, Last Resort / Baton Pass / Helping Hand / Detect being the standard set

Yeah. There's one guy who's dedicated himself to only using an Eevee team in VGC this year, he posts a lot of videos on youtube. I believe he uses Quick Attack instead of Helping Hand.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Some of the Eevee forms can be pretty good. I've used Umbreon for years, since it's been my favorite since gen 2. But I ignore the usual 'nothing but baton pass and wish' sets to use an actual 'set up and stand forever and also be really annoying' bulky attacker set.

I remember when X and Y came out people said Sylveon might be kinda useful too. I think Glaceon is the only one that stands out as pretty bad, since it's ice type and that just kinda has it's own problems.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hrist posted:

Some of the Eevee forms can be pretty good. I've used Umbreon for years, since it's been my favorite since gen 2. But I ignore the usual 'nothing but baton pass and wish' sets to use an actual 'set up and stand forever and also be really annoying' bulky attacker set.

I remember when X and Y came out people said Sylveon might be kinda useful too. I think Glaceon is the only one that stands out as pretty bad, since it's ice type and that just kinda has it's own problems.

Leafeon is pretty dire too. It's got mediore but usable stats, but it's a physical mon with Grass/Normal/Bug/Flying coverage. Also don't forget flareon, who can hammer any wall that's not fireproof and dies hard to literally anything else.

Sylveon is fantastic though. It's a great support wall that can also threaten really goddamn hard hits, so it's tough to read and can get some surprise kills.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 22, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Sylveon/Umbreon/Espeon/Jolteon/Vaporeon are all really good. Flareon is kinda usable as a gimmick wallbreaker. Glaceon has the distinction of being barely able to outspeed and OHKO MegaRayquaza if scarfed which is something like 2 other pokemon total can do I guess. Leafeon is just kinda another physical grass type with a bad movepool.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zore posted:

Yeah, Sylveon/Umbreon/Espeon/Jolteon/Vaporeon are all really good.

Umbreon, Vaporeon, Espeon and Jolteon have all dropped to RU.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

less laughter posted:

That doesn't mean they aren't good, it means they aren't used which is a pretty significant difference.

All of them are viable and powerful pokemon. The issue is theres like 800 of them now and there are a ton of really good pokemon that aren't used for various reasons. Isn't goddamn Scizor in UU?

Also Smogon's baton pass ban hit a lot of their viable sets.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

less laughter posted:

Gen 7 UU is just Gen 6 OU, so being RU these days is really not that bad in comparison. Hell, I think Metagross and Lucario are RU.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hrist posted:

I use two Eevee-lutions on my main singles team: Vaporeon and Jolteon, and I do pretty all right with 'em. Vaporeon in particular seems to catch people off guard. I think a lot of folks don't realize how tanky she is. My proudest Vaporeon moment was switching her into a Belly Drum/Aqua Jetting Azurill, absorbing the incoming Aqua Jet, and then Hazing away the Belly Drum boost.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Haze really is the move that keeps on giving. Very handy for Crobat in the Battle Tree since those androids love stacking stats on their critters

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Vaporeon and Jolteon are both perfectly solid, they just have a ton of competition since "bulky water type" and "speedy electric type" are a dime a dozen.

Compare to Umbreon and Espeon which are more unique but also more niche and harder to fit into a team.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

And Glaceon, which theoretically has stiff competition in the form of the many tanky Ice types that GameFreak keeps inventing. It's just that no one uses any of the others, either. :v:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Falcon posted:

I use two Eevee-lutions on my main singles team: Vaporeon and Jolteon, and I do pretty all right with 'em. Vaporeon in particular seems to catch people off guard. I think a lot of folks don't realize how tanky she is. My proudest Vaporeon moment was switching her into a Belly Drum/Aqua Jetting Azurill, absorbing the incoming Aqua Jet, and then Hazing away the Belly Drum boost.

I forget which gen it was, but I had a Vaporeon on my story team, and I was just constantly amazed how much HP the thing had with no actual care put into any of the EVs it got. Like, it had close to 400 when the rest of my team was maybe in the mid 300's at similar levels. It seems like a really good water type, since I think it can still get acid armor, and maybe mirror coat? I'm probably wrong about the coat though. Either way, that thing is a great tank, and I'm surprised I don't see it ever.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm gonna find me a Groudon today even if it kills me :argh:

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Parrotine posted:

I'm gonna find me a Groudon today even if it kills me :argh:

I've got an old Emerald clone I can get you, but you have to wait until normal person work time is over EST.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hrist posted:

I forget which gen it was, but I had a Vaporeon on my story team, and I was just constantly amazed how much HP the thing had with no actual care put into any of the EVs it got. Like, it had close to 400 when the rest of my team was maybe in the mid 300's at similar levels. It seems like a really good water type, since I think it can still get acid armor, and maybe mirror coat? I'm probably wrong about the coat though. Either way, that thing is a great tank, and I'm surprised I don't see it ever.

Acid Armor, yes. Mirror Coat, no as far as I know. Straight White Shark hit the nail on the head as to why you don't see more of them: it's a bulky water type. There are a million of the things and plenty that can probably do Vaporeon's job better. However, I don't care. She's my favorite.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm currently training Sick Bubbler to 100 so I can use more of my beautiful shiny vaporeon. He's bulky AF but his SpA IV is trash.

He could have been a brilliant handsome sylveon but he fell in with the wrong crowd. (and showed up with adaptability)

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Tiers mean very little now because of how they work. Gengar is considered UU this generation but people talk about it as one of the most important threats in the OU metagame all the time and it's way less of a relevant discussion point for anything actually UU.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I still don't know how people even use Tiers. The online competitions don't care even a tiny bit about them. Do people go on Smogon to set up tiered matches?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

OgreNoah posted:

I still don't know how people even use Tiers. The online competitions don't care even a tiny bit about them. Do people go on Smogon to set up tiered matches?

Pokemon Showdown has tiers built into each format - it just won't let you use things from higher tiers if you try to play those. So if you try to play RU with a Tapu Lele on your team it simply won't let you queue up and will tell you what about your team is problematic.

Some people do set up in-game battles that follow tier/meta rules using forums or discord or whatever, though I've personally never done that so I don't know the specifics.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hey just checking in to see if baton pass teams are still banned on smogon

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Countblanc posted:

Pokemon Showdown has tiers built into each format - it just won't let you use things from higher tiers if you try to play those. So if you try to play RU with a Tapu Lele on your team it simply won't let you queue up and will tell you what about your team is problematic.

Some people do set up in-game battles that follow tier/meta rules using forums or discord or whatever, though I've personally never done that so I don't know the specifics.

As that was my problem. Had no idea wtf Pokemon Showdown is. Seems like a free browser-based battle simulator where you don't actually put the time in to raise the Pokemon? This must be why people post move sets that are nearly impossible to acquire, such as Gengars with the Halloween giveaway only Sludge Wave move, or Empoleon with both Stealth Rock and Defog, which requires at least 4 physical games.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I do kind of understand where they're coming from. Even without access to rare event movesets, just being able to pick your type of Hidden Power can be a real advantage for some Pokemon. If it's an unofficial thing then hell, why not let people make use of an Empoleon moveset you'll never see in the wild absent hacking? Poor bastard rarely sees the light of day otherwise.

These days I mainly get annoyed when someone hacked in that kind of thing to use in the game itself. (And also, admittedly, when people talking about builds assume you're playing in Showdown to the exclusion of all else.)

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Rangpur posted:

I do kind of understand where they're coming from. Even without access to rare event movesets, just being able to pick your type of Hidden Power can be a real advantage for some Pokemon. If it's an unofficial thing then hell, why not let people make use of an Empoleon moveset you'll never see in the wild absent hacking? Poor bastard rarely sees the light of day otherwise.

These days I mainly get annoyed when someone hacked in that kind of thing to use in the game itself. (And also, admittedly, when people talking about builds assume you're playing in Showdown to the exclusion of all else.)

Oh yeah I understand where they're coming from. Breeding for Hidden Power is a loving nightmare. I finally managed to get a Sylveon with HP Fire, but since it's in Moon, I can't teach it Hyper Voice. This wouldn't be a problem with showdown, which is kinda cool.

Below: do you just have dittos for every relevant HP?

OgreNoah fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 22, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I feel like breeding for Hidden Power isn't nearly as big a thing anymore now that the power is locked to 60 instead of being variable and bottlecaps and the gen VI breeding changes with destiny knot...

Like I get it in gens II-V but even in gen VI I could breed any hidden power I needed fairly easily :shrug:.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

OgreNoah posted:

Below: do you just have dittos for every relevant HP?

That's how I breed for hidden power. Sometimes it can still be a crapshoot. I think I have a few extras of some of the elements laying around somewhere if you need one. Can't remember which elements off the top of my head though.

Ghost Toast
Nov 4, 2005

I'm in my first playthrough of Moon right now, training up a Metang to kick the electric nerd's rear end.

Was wondering if anyone had a good Oddish just lying around in a PC box? The GTS only wanted legendaries for them when I checked it last.

Friend code is 2939-0005-7084, in-game name is Valkyrie.

Also, how do I raise beauty to evolve Feebas in this gen?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

God Mode posted:

I'm in my first playthrough of Moon right now, training up a Metang to kick the electric nerd's rear end.

Was wondering if anyone had a good Oddish just lying around in a PC box? The GTS only wanted legendaries for them when I checked it last.

Friend code is 2939-0005-7084, in-game name is Valkyrie.

Also, how do I raise beauty to evolve Feebas in this gen?

You can't raise beauty in Sun/Moon. There's a hold item called a Prism Scale it will evolve when holding they added in Gen V.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

mabels big day posted:

Hey just checking in to see if baton pass teams are still banned on smogon

yes but now you can cheat a little bit with a z-move that raises a stat

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

that ivy guy posted:

yes but now you can cheat a little bit with a z-move that raises a stat

I wanna revive my no-attack baton pass team but the rule won't let me.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Use it in non-Smogon competitions?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Use it in non-Smogon competitions?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I do not care for Smogon/Showdown. Usage tiers make sense but they also have a ton of fiddly little bans that are dumb, like the Baton Pass ban.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How does gen7 pace out it's new pokemons? I didn't really enjoy having two boxes full of old pokemon before the second gym and only 10-12 new ones in gen 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Asehujiko posted:

How does gen7 pace out it's new pokemons? I didn't really enjoy having two boxes full of old pokemon before the second gym and only 10-12 new ones in gen 6.

It got worse. You get to see Kanto mobs more often, but most of the new mons got shunted to being really rare encounters for some reason.