Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Now things get fun!

Okay so at this point for us southern lance I think our best bet is converge on the Dire Wolf and try and down it before turning on the King Cobra. To that effect I am going to run to hex 1633 and fire everything I got at the Dire Wolf. It hasn't moved for a few turns now and going by that this way I will get within short range, and if it does move then I will just have to put up with the extra difficulty to hit.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Banshee here. So my plan right now is to sit still and fire at the Dire Wolf Prime. I can't see a way it can move out of LOS of me, can anyone else?
PTN: What does that smoke do to LOS? Can I fire through it? Does it give a penalty?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Remmon posted:

I'd like to have that LoS double checked, as it was my understanding that in the diagramming rules you turn everything into squares and draw a line from the center of the mech's top square to the center of the other mech's top square. If that intercedes with terrain, LoS is blocked.

When I did this, I found the line passes through the corner of both the level 3 and 2 terrain, so assumed LoS was blocked.

gently caress me, you're not wrong.

Archer took no damage, Battle Cobra's still dead.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Quite the turnaround if the Archer was spared, I was just thinking the fight had severely evened up with the Lyrans down two mechs and a whole lot of crits/lost limbs scattered around there rest whereas the remaining five clanners are still in pretty good shape.

That was a pretty spectacular turn in terms of things blowing the heck up though! This looks like it's a real slug-fest of a match.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I'm impressed that the Penetrator used his laser arms to poke the Battle Cobra to death.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

This looks like it's a real slug-fest of a match.

Next turn...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ardlen posted:

I'm impressed that the Penetrator used his laser arms to poke the Battle Cobra to death.

He jammed his long arm shafts through the tender core of its fusion engine.

PENETRATOR.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
My. Goodness.

I wish there was actual BattleRom footage for this fight.

/Duncan Fisher

"And the field is lit up like Archon's Day!!!"

Ya'll mark my words, those Clan Aces are going to be a problem; we won't be able to put them down nearly as easily.

Makes for a much more interesting fight though; this ones gonna be tight.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

koolkevz666 posted:

Now things get fun!

Okay so at this point for us southern lance I think our best bet is converge on the Dire Wolf and try and down it before turning on the King Cobra. To that effect I am going to run to hex 1633 and fire everything I got at the Dire Wolf. It hasn't moved for a few turns now and going by that this way I will get within short range, and if it does move then I will just have to put up with the extra difficulty to hit.

I'd suggest turning and going to 1531. If you go to 1633, it can just walk behind you and alphastrike your back.

pun pundit posted:

Banshee here. So my plan right now is to sit still and fire at the Dire Wolf Prime. I can't see a way it can move out of LOS of me, can anyone else?
PTN: What does that smoke do to LOS? Can I fire through it? Does it give a penalty?

Standing still works great for you, because odds are the Dire Wolf is still going to primary the Thunder Hawk. Shots that go through smoke suffer +1 needed to hit. If you stand in it though, you suffer no penalty, while people shooting you DO eat the +1. Consecutive smoke hexes add to the penalty, but since the Highlander is dead no one is going to launch any smoke any longer.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
Archer's going to take advantage of its being still alive to back up to 1912 and either unload on the Battle Cobra Prime or the Wolverine IIC. Time to use those pulse lasers for something. I'll have to look at heat and possibly shoot at the Wolverine with some of that even if I can hit the Battle Cobra Prime.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

gently caress me, you're not wrong.

Archer took no damage, Battle Cobra's still dead.

Does that mean the Archer has the power of Phantom Mech? That would be hilarious.

Remmon posted:

Archer's going to take advantage of its being still alive to back up to 1912 and either unload on the Battle Cobra Prime or the Wolverine IIC. Time to use those pulse lasers for something. I'll have to look at heat and possibly shoot at the Wolverine with some of that even if I can hit the Battle Cobra Prime.

Remember to use ARAD missiles if the target has ECM or Artemis, and regular HE if it doesn't. ARAD is strictly better if it has those electronics and strictly worse otherwise so you might as well use it whenever you can get a benefit out of it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

MJ12 posted:

Does that mean the Archer has the power of Phantom Mech? That would be hilarious.

It just left a giant log in its place, ninja style.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Next turn, Hptm. Von Tonder goes "No I'm not. Also, what does R.H.I.P. mean." Because of course he wouldn't know.

Also the Clan's got ACEs now but they're still largely predictable. That lucky hit on the Warhawk a couple turns ago made the southern star a lot more manageable and the King Cobra is going to take a few turns of busting out the MASC to get into melee range, so they're in a much better position than they were when I was fussing about them.

, indeed.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
The Cestus finished off the right arm of the Battle Cobra A, which I don't know where it's engine hits came from, but that large laser swapped over to the left torso midway through. Good luck not getting into melee range on the King Cobra! 2631 looks like the closest it'll come if it uses MASC.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Since it might get to that, I half want to see someone go get a club from the Kingfisher or something, though maybe that's just because using mech limbs as a club is metal as gently caress.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

Since it might get to that, I half want to see someone go get a club from the Kingfisher or something, though maybe that's just because using mech limbs as a club is metal as gently caress.

You're not wrong.

Sadly, it takes two hands to do that and the only nearby Goon assault that started with two hands is missing an arm.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Gwaihir posted:

I'd suggest turning and going to 1531. If you go to 1633, it can just walk behind you and alphastrike your back.

I shouldn't have to worry about the Dire Wolf blasting me though as it is still targeting the Thunder Hawk right?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

koolkevz666 posted:

I shouldn't have to worry about the Dire Wolf blasting me though as it is still targeting the Thunder Hawk right?

Clanners that are facing down sudden death tend to toss all their honor code crap right in to the trash and do whatever they can to take someone down with them. Even if the Dire Wolf didn't shoot you in the back, it could walk straight behind you and break los with most of your armament.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

koolkevz666 posted:

Since no one is targeting you, the Dire Wolf could decide to add you to his targets. It doesn't go against Zell to do so.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
And there is a blinking light on the strict zell icon now, though it's even on the first update now, I'm mildly certain it wasn't there to start with. That opportunistic background may be expressing itself as desperation soon.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

vorebane posted:

And there is a blinking light on the strict zell icon now, though it's even on the first update now, I'm mildly certain it wasn't there to start with. That opportunistic background may be expressing itself as desperation soon.

It's been there for quite a while, I'm fairly certain from the start of the mission.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Yeah definitely best to try and take down that Dire as fast as possible this turn. You don't want two ACEs coming at you from two different directions.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
My first thought is to jump to 2019 and try to shoot the Battle Cobra prime, but I actually would not mind being flanked due to my gaping center torso wound.

Perhaps I should charge 5 forward and try to hit the Battle Cobra in 1324 and count on my buddies to get the ace?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Banshee pilot complaining about Ghost heat my be your sneakiest pun yet, PTN.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

evilmiera posted:

The Banshee pilot complaining about Ghost heat my be your sneakiest pun yet, PTN.

awwww shittttttt

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

habituallyred posted:

My first thought is to jump to 2019 and try to shoot the Battle Cobra prime, but I actually would not mind being flanked due to my gaping center torso wound.

Perhaps I should charge 5 forward and try to hit the Battle Cobra in 1324 and count on my buddies to get the ace?

If you run to 1319 and turn south (Turning on pavement while running is safe if you don't leave the hex afterward AFAIK), you should have pretty good odds of being able to torso twist and hit the Battle Cobra Prime, please make it your primary target.

If it runs somewhere you can't hit it easily, feel free to pummel the other battle cobra instead though. I plan to do the same thing, backing up into 1912 to ensure the Wolverine doesn't get cheeky back shots on me and splitting fire between the prime and the Wolverine if the prime will let me, otherwise shooting his buddy and the wolverine.

For the prime to deny me LoS, I think he has to get to 1816 or 1916, although 1817, 1917 and 2016 might be safe as well. If the others can position so they can shoot it if it runs there, we can ensure at least somebody gets to shoot it.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am going to need some advice.

On one hand, since the Archer isn't actually dead he would probably like back up against wolverine. On the other, massing fire at the ace clanner could help with taking him out quickly and not having to deal with aces is really nice.

Thread/teammates, what do you think?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I would say killing Aces would always be my priority, but that is with literally zero consideration added in for your current situation on a tactical level.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I am going full speed ahead after the Battle Cobra with the ER PPC so our ace friend is likely to be right behind me. Try to find a spot that lets you see the Wolverine and Mr. ace.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
If I move to 2329, the cobra can't move to a spot to get me, right?

I don't think I'd have LOS to any other mechs, but preventing the cobra from inflicting damage for one more turn seems like the smart move.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

Xarn posted:

I am going to need some advice.

On one hand, since the Archer isn't actually dead he would probably like back up against wolverine. On the other, massing fire at the ace clanner could help with taking him out quickly and not having to deal with aces is really nice.

Thread/teammates, what do you think?

I've got 2 med pulses and 2 Streak SRMs against the Wolverine. If I get lucky I can core it, otherwise I will probably want some help with it NEXT TURN. This turn should be dedicated to murdering the crap out of that Battle Cobra Prime before it can really leverage that ACE status against us. Especially given its armament is far more threatening than the Wolverine's.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You may have just found the one thing that will get the Cloud Cobras to drop Zell. :psyduck:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
What could be worse than shooting and stabbing someone in the back? Hiding behind a wall?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Did someone teabag a downed cockpit?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

Did someone teabag a downed cockpit?

Essentially yes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why would you warcrimes.

You're not Capellans.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
WTF goons did someone shoot that popsicled wyvern??

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Night10194 posted:

Why would you warcrimes.

You're not Capellans.

Warcrimes are a growth industry all over the Sphere. Might as well get in on the ground floor!

Warcrimes may not be for you. Consult your tactician before starting a warcrimes regimen.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Did I shoot the wrong battle cobra in my contingency orders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ Wasn't you.

Drawing the entire northern star's fire saved the Penetrator this turn, so it wasn't the worst decision ever.

• Locked thread