Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm not talking about a "car collector" with 12 cars, this is the example about half a mile from my place. i'm not in an HOA area but this guy is about a block outside of one. I'm sure his neighbors love him.

Zillow zestimate for that house is over 425k btw :laffo:

Seems perfectly normal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

ilkhan posted:

I got crap last night while skating for knowing all of Frozen's "let it go" as a single/childless-male and was like "don't care, it's catchy". I then requested "just can't wait to be king" and "be prepared". Requesting 3-4 songs a week to skate to without dupes is hard. Disney does good songs.

Haven't seen either of those live action remakes, though.
Cinderella came out like two years ago I think? Like I said I saw it for the first time on Sunday. It was good!
Frozen had a good soundtrack and Kristen Bell and about a million plot holes. It's not the worst offender as 'crap' princesses go...(I'm looking at you little mermaid)

cakesmith handyman posted:

So many blokes at work are talking about that loving film if I didn't know better I'd suspect it had Emma Watson nude in it.
Spoiler alert there isn't
The movie made 350 million in a weekend. :eyepoop:

scuz posted:

Moana kicks so much rear end. If Moana isn't a tearjerker for you on any level you should go to the hospital immediately because your heart has turned to obsidian and you're likely to die at any minute. Girlfriend and I saw it twice in theaters and she just saw Beauty and the Best and thought it was "magical."

:hfive: Moana will make a grown rear end man cry. The soundtrack owns. The Rock owns, Jemaine Clement owns. Between this and Zootopia I will give the Disney machine a lot of monies.

Sorry about your girlfriends wrong opinions on what "magical" looks like.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mariooncrack posted:

The nice thing about lower end graphics cards is that they've come a long way in the last couple of years. They are a lot more efficient than they used to be and much more powerful. Intel's onboard video these days isn't too bad.

You may want to look into upgrading your CPU at some point too. The 2500k is a good processor for most things but when it comes to gaming it's starting to show its age.

Yeah, I plan on doing a full new build at some point in the next year. Everything on this thing is showing its age.. one of my HDDs have over 7 years of spinning time on it (another one has 6 years), for example. I got my money's worth out of this build many times over, and the oldest drive + optical drive are carryovers from my last system (a spacer heater of an Athlon 64 X2 5200+). The monitors are showing their age too, one is about 8 years old (I think.. it got RMA'd at one point, the newest it could possibly be is 7 though), the other is 5 years old. Anything really important is backed up to Dropbox and OneDrive, and anything I think I might need at a later date gets backed up nightly to an external 4TB (... which is on the bottom shelf of my printer stand, where it can't get knocked over or bumped, but accessible enough that I can grab it on the way out the door if, say, there's a fire)

The onboard video on this thing can run Counterstrike smoothly, which probably isn't saying much, but (this is showing my age big time) when it first came out you needed a decent video card for it.

I didn't realize a 1050 was "low end" either. The 1060 has my eye too, but it's an extra $100 (for the 6GB version vs the 1050 Ti SSC 4GB, both EVGA). I'll probably pick up a video card soonish, then carry it over to my next build. I haven't kept up with what's what in a long time though.

The monitors are gonna sting a bit, I think. I'm tired of having mismatched monitors (one is a 24" Acer, the other is a 22" Dell, both low end ones), I'd like to finally get a matched pair of something decent.

Powershift posted:

It's unbelievable how relevant the 2500k still is, but the 4 thread limit is being hit.

Mine has been running at 4.8ghz for nearly 6 years now. My laptop with a 2ghz C2Q is turning 8 years old this year and still rocks all kinds of stuff.

I never did hit 4.8 - I think the highest reliable speed I ever hit was 4.6. Unfortunately, when I decided to download the UEFI to replace the BIOS for my board, it wouldn't even attempt to boot until it was dropped to 4.1, then I could bump it back up to 4.2. It reboots fine, but if it's off for more than a few minutes it tries to boot a few times before defaulting the settings and giving an OC FAIL message, and I get to do the 4.1, let it POST, then bump to 4.2 bit again.

For my motherboard, there's no going back to BIOS once you're gone to UEFI (the update tool fails - there's a couple of workarounds, but you risk bricking the board... like I can just walk into Micro Center and pick up another Z68 board these days?), and Gigabyte only released one version of UEFI for this board (but they've released plenty of BIOS updates since then). Damnit Gigabyte.

Honestly though... I don't notice a difference between 4.6 and 4.2 in 99% of what I do. Core Temp shows this thing chilling at ~900 MHz most of the time. Aside from the boot hassle, I've had exactly two BSODs on this build... both due to driver issues.

Whenever I do upgrade, the CPU and RAM are going into my mom's system (also Sandy Bridge, but it's an i3). I think it'd be a decent upgrade for her. She'll probably get the 120GB Samsung SSD I have in here too.

scrubs season six posted:

All of my relevant driving is to/from Bay Area (I live in Reno and sis lives in Berkeley)(and it's not in a rental) but unless it's significantly different elsewhere, you're never going to unwittingly drove through a toll. Not everyone has EZPass and they still want their money so there will be cash lanes. And they are cash lanes, don't bother trying to hand them a credit card.

NTTA and TxTag did away with cash lanes entirely. I believe all of the Texas toll systems did.

They've ripped out the majority of the toll booths except at a couple of old toll plazas, but they have them (and the lanes going to them) walled off with concrete barriers now.

It adds up reaaaaal quick if you space out on a bill or five. NTTA stacks on the late fees like crazy (which turned about $300 of tolls into over $1000 for me last year).

IOwnCalculus posted:

A GMT400 Suburban with Altezzas and a missing door, a thirdgen Firebird on too-big RIMZZZZZZZ, and an Expedition, all parked on the grass? Yeah, I probably wouldn't want that as a neighbor either. That definitely looks less like "too many cars not enough parking spaces" and more like "on any given day, only three of these run".

Yeah really. city code enforcement where I'm at doesn't let anything with expired tags park on the street, doesn't allow parking on an unimproved surface (so no yard parking, unless it's been designated as a gravel parking area - can't park on dirt either), and you can't have obviously inoperable vehicles on your property (such as that GMT400 missing a door). Also, if your car is parked such that the tags are visible from the street, even if it's in your driveway, it's considered "inoperable" (since, well, technically it's not legal to drive). Thankfully our tags are on the windshield, so keep air in the tires and keep the front toward the house and you're good as long as you don't give code enforcement a reason to walk up your driveway.

They don't like it when they're in the back yard either, but so long as you keep your fence in good repair and don't have a 2 story house next door with neighbors you don't get along with, nobody's gonna hassle you about that.

tl;dr that's not a collector, that's a hoarder.

I'd be pretty pissy if that was in a neighborhood I owned a house in too, personally. I wouldn't give a poo poo what's in the back yard, but obviously non-running vehicles parked in your front yard? No thanks. It's one thing if it's something getting parted out (I'd be asking them how I could help in that case), but those look like they've been sitting for quite awhile.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 23, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did Emma Watson actually sing her own parts? Because they were painfully autotuned.

The more I dwell on it the more I disliked the film.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

InitialDave posted:

On-One Ti 45650b

I have no opinion on the bike, but PlanetX dumped all of their warehouse staff and outsourced them about a month before Christmas, then blamed it on Brexit. :britain:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm not talking about a "car collector" with 12 cars, this is the example about half a mile from my place. i'm not in an HOA area but this guy is about a block outside of one. I'm sure his neighbors love him.

Zillow zestimate for that house is over 425k btw :laffo:

At least the lawn and garden is tidy. I hate it when the grass is like 3 feet tall.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

hah no way I escaped everett over 5 years ago

Second guess would have been Lynnwood, but you have to make fun of everett anytime you can.

Part of me kinda wishes we would have bought a house in the Edmonds/Lynnwood area instead of Ballard just so I could have more room. I love Ballard, but the traffic and everything in Seattle is getting so bad I rarely leave my neighborhood, so its not like I would be missing out on much living a bit further north And I would be able to have a real garage/shop instead of the tiny basement garage I have now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well I guess one way to bond with a new neighbor is to help them find their dog. Heard her outside yelling her dog's name.

Found him playing frogger :frogsiren: She told me he would run away from me, so I ran across the street, waited till traffic died down, and chased him back across... where my very annoyed (at her dog) neighbor was waiting to catch him.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Titanium is forever as long as it fits you properly.
I'd argue steel is too, and I won't deny there's a certain old-school appeal to it. I'm very much looking at the P7 as what I'll be trying first and comparing to others.

jammyozzy posted:

I have no opinion on the bike, but PlanetX dumped all of their warehouse staff and outsourced them about a month before Christmas, then blamed it on Brexit. :britain:
Kind of sounds like a dick move, but if they're still operating on the model of sourcing cheap frames from the far east and selling them cheap, I can see how the exchange rate situation etc would hit them pretty hard.

I'd be interested in a Dialled frame, but it looks like everyone's moving to through-bolt rear axles now, which strikes me as the better engineering solution (and more future-proof), and they're still running a normal QR dropout.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Buying a car in late fall sucks because you need to wait 3-6 months for the weather to really enjoy driving it in.

For me that time is starting on Friday.

(But I don't want to go crazy I do have my 5000 mile service here in another 700 miles or so...)

And I still can't find a good electrical diagram of the AWDi Synergy Drive system. I mean a detailed one, three-line diagram, IGBTs and whatnot.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Well I guess one way to bond with a new neighbor is to help them find their dog. Heard her outside yelling her dog's name.

Found him playing frogger :frogsiren: She told me he would run away from me, so I ran across the street, waited till traffic died down, and chased him back across... where my very annoyed (at her dog) neighbor was waiting to catch him.

Well that's pretty cool of you. Most people don't forget when other people help them out. Unless they're total dicks.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 23, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd rock that yard. And Lilo and Stitch is the best disney movie, fite me nerds. :colbert:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That yard just reminds me of this guy who I've spoken to and who is a really swell guy. He'd get along well with LloydDobler.

Long story short, the guy had like 200 Volvos in his yard, which was along a major US highway. He was cited for operating a salvage yard without a license, and eventually they came down hard on him because they felt that his 'eyesore' was bad for tourism in the area. They took a large number of his cars and tore down one of his parts storage barns. He has very few vehicles left, last I checked. I really felt bad for the guy, because he's a genuinely good guy that helps out Volvo enthusiasts in the area, never looking to make any money off of his hobby, and the local government didn't like it because people complained about how it looked from the highway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I never did hit 4.8 - I think the highest reliable speed I ever hit was 4.6. Unfortunately, when I decided to download the UEFI to replace the BIOS for my board, it wouldn't even attempt to boot until it was dropped to 4.1, then I could bump it back up to 4.2. It reboots fine, but if it's off for more than a few minutes it tries to boot a few times before defaulting the settings and giving an OC FAIL message, and I get to do the 4.1, let it POST, then bump to 4.2 bit again.

For my motherboard, there's no going back to BIOS once you're gone to UEFI (the update tool fails - there's a couple of workarounds, but you risk bricking the board... like I can just walk into Micro Center and pick up another Z68 board these days?), and Gigabyte only released one version of UEFI for this board (but they've released plenty of BIOS updates since then). Damnit Gigabyte.

Honestly though... I don't notice a difference between 4.6 and 4.2 in 99% of what I do. Core Temp shows this thing chilling at ~900 MHz most of the time. Aside from the boot hassle, I've had exactly two BSODs on this build... both due to driver issues.

Whenever I do upgrade, the CPU and RAM are going into my mom's system (also Sandy Bridge, but it's an i3). I think it'd be a decent upgrade for her. She'll probably get the 120GB Samsung SSD I have in here too.

I coasted straight up to a hard stable 4.8ghz limit at 1.3v vcore. no multiplier, frequency or voltage would let me past it.

I've since had to bump it to 1.32, but it's still truckin.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
lovely neighbor chat: when I was growing up some redneck on the other street on my block ran a tow company (or worked for one?) and at the height of his insanity his expansive yard (maybe 2.5 acres? It spanned the block) and a good portion of a neighboring property that wasn't even his was full of cars he had towed. For all intents and purposes he was running an unlicensed junkyard in a residential neighborhood, without anything more than a split rail fence blocking it from the rest of the neighborhood. One of his other ventures was a landscape company and it just so happened that he had a contract with the city school district, so when literally the rest of the neighborhood starting calling the city to complain they would respond "oh that can't be true, he's a really nice guy - he mows the lawns at the schools!" When my parents and a bunch of neighbors went to city council to complain they pretty much got the same treatment. They had to go to the county before anything was done about it, and even then they just ordered him to clean up his yard - no fines or any kind of punishment.

Prior to that, when I was in grade school in the late 80s/early 90s the same guy's shitheel kids would rip up and down the street on unlicensed dirt bikes at all hours, and despite numerous calls to the police little was ever done about it. A patrol car would come out with its lights running, they'd scatter, cops would leave and 15 minutes later they'd be right back at it again. I remember at one point it got so bad that the neighborhood took to calling the county sheriff because the local cops pretty much stopped showing up when these assholes were flying up and down the street at 2 in the morning.

I swear that guy must have had dirt on someone way up the chain or he knew someone who was a state senator or something because a few years after the junkyard fiasco he built a driveway letting out onto my parents' street without a permit and everyone on my parents' street were concerned because he started using it for all of his business ventures - towing cars at all hours and at one point was parking his landscaping trailer on the street in a "no parking" zone. Again, everyone went to city council who this time ordered him to stop towing cars and "storing them temporarily" in his yard but stopped short of making him rip up the driveway or even retroactively obtain permits, because at the time he claimed he was near retirement and would be moving out of the area within 5 years. This was in the late 90s, he still lives there to this day and his property continues to be a massive eyesore.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Deeters posted:

Yeah, that yard doesn't seem too bad. If it's just a bunch of cars, and the people who live there are otherwise quiet/friendly, then I don't see a problem.

RVA Goons: Where's a good place to grab a beer and easy dinner downtown? I'm going to a concert at the National tomorrow so I want to eat first. (No IPAs, since I know Richmond is Hipster-town)

If you wanna go a little far out from downtown, theres a little vietnamese restaurant called Mekong that also happens to be the #1 beer bar in america.

If you're into dive bar hotdogs and draft beer, hit up City Dog.

If you want decent German food/burgers and a great draft selection in a small-chain vibe a couple blocks from your concert, hit up Capital Ale House.

PM me if you wanna grab a beer!

e: Cuban food / atmosphere at Havana 59, BBQ at Halligans, loving weird at Wonderland (ask Chad for a hug), British nonces close to the National at Penny Lane.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 23, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm feeling really good today.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus tittyfucking Christ, Sallie Mae. Choke to death on a dick.

I forgot about a payment. Big whoop, it happens. Made the payment online 2 days ago. It cleared my bank today.

They called me 6 times yesterday, cosigner 8 times.
They called me 15 times today, cosigner 12 times.

I've talked to them 4 times in that time, asking why the gently caress they're calling when my loan is current, especially when I've sent them a certified letter informing them I do not wish to receive phone calls (FDCPA applies to first party collectors in my state). One person cussed me out and told me the only people who know about the FDCPA are those running from debts (look at my payment history, dick... I've been late twice in 3 years, and less than 20 days both times). The others said they don't know why they're calling, but they have no record of my letter (of course not) but they'll enter it into the account notes (of course) and remove all phone numbers (of course)... I even got a call while on the phone with them.

I hope their CEO and their collectors all collectively choke on the same hot dog.

CFPB complaint filed (again). My stepdad drat near lost his job over his phone ringing nonstop at work today, since he doesn't know how to block individual numbers.

When I go online, it shows my loan is current, nothing past due, with the next payment due in 3 weeks. :fuckoff:

Powershift posted:

I coasted straight up to a hard stable 4.8ghz limit at 1.3v vcore. no multiplier, frequency or voltage would let me past it.

I've since had to bump it to 1.32, but it's still truckin.

I've never touched the voltage that I can remember. I'd heard horror stories about Gigabyte boards having crappy voltage regulation, so I've always left the voltage stock.

This board + CPU was the best i5-2500k + name brand Z68 combo Micro Center had at the time - I think if you went by the retail price on the i5-2500k, I wound up paying about $20 or $30 for the board itself (it was a $160 board if you bought it without the cpu, at the time). They may have had a MSI board that was a little cheaper in a combo deal, but I've never had good luck with anything from MSI except for their laptops (which they didn't build at the time anyway; I think the same OEM for Gateway was making them back then?).

I've been sold on Gigabyte motherboards ever since.... except for the "oh hey here's a beta UEFI we're trying, you can downgrade back to BIOS at any time and we'll keep this up to date" "oh j/k you can never downgrade without physically desoldering the EEPROM" poo poo that they pulled on me.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 23, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

scrubs season six posted:

Like, the rental comes with EZPass or whatever it's called and you just get charged by Dollar for any tolls? And it's a system you can opt into/out of but if you opt out and drive through a toll without paying they charge you 5 times as much or something?

All of my relevant driving is to/from Bay Area (I live in Reno and sis lives in Berkeley)(and it's not in a rental) but unless it's significantly different elsewhere, you're never going to unwittingly drove through a toll. Not everyone has EZPass and they still want their money so there will be cash lanes. And they are cash lanes, don't bother trying to hand them a credit card.

They described it as: if you opt out, CA will fine the plate, and Dollar you on top of that.
And if you opt in, the system will magically activate when you drive off the lot.

Possible interpretations:
- there's a transponder device somewhere on the car that actually can be turned on/off. It's not the EZPass thing you stick on your windshield, cuz I looked around for that.
- the rental company can flag the plate appropriately with CA DMV when you go through a toll
- the system always works and they're just squeezing renters.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

InitialDave posted:

- Orange P7 Pro
- Cotic Soul
- Cotic BFe275
- Ragley Piglet

As you can see, other than the carbon Saracen, there's a definite "steel trailbike" bent to my thoughts, and I would prefer something :britain:. The On-One Ti 45650b is also in the running, but would involve going (more than) a little over budget. It's not an immediate thing, though, so I'll be able to sort some test rides etc nearer the time.

Goon in the MTB thread reviewed a few bikes including the P7, and is pretty sure he'll buy that. The Soul's 69deg with a 140mm fork seems too steep for rockier trails. Even the BFe's 68 might not be enough.
The P7 has a slack angle and just 140mm -- focus seems good for a hardtail. By a geometry calculator, should be 66.5deg with sag.
The Fox 34 on the P7 Pro is a helluva fork, in my pretty limited riding experience.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kimbo305 posted:

They described it as: if you opt out, CA will fine the plate, and Dollar you on top of that.
And if you opt in, the system will magically activate when you drive off the lot.

Possible interpretations:
- there's a transponder device somewhere on the car that actually can be turned on/off. It's not the EZPass thing you stick on your windshield, cuz I looked around for that.
- the rental company can flag the plate appropriately with CA DMV when you go through a toll
- the system always works and they're just squeezing renters.

There are external transponders that mount to the license plate (usually front). But it's likely the latter of the two. I know in TX, they can see if you have a tag/pass based on your license plate, and if you do have an active tag that happened to not get read (or is missing), they just bill it to your existing toll account at the discounted tag rate (I dunno if CA has different rates, but NTTA bills differently based on if you have a funded tag or not.. if you don't, you get an extra 20-40% charge).

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Jesus tittyfucking Christ, Sallie Mae. Choke to death on a dick.

I forgot about a payment. Big whoop, it happens. Made the payment online 2 days ago. It cleared my bank today.

Just do yourself a favor and do auto debit. I've done that from day 1 and don't have to think about poo poo other than how loving expensive school is.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I've talked to them 4 times in that time, asking why the gently caress they're calling when my loan is current, especially when I've sent them a certified letter informing them I do not wish to receive phone calls (FDCPA applies to first party collectors in my state).

I was (up until last month) a computer janitor at a call center, FWIW the people you're talking to literally have no idea why they're calling you until they start talking to you. They don't even dial your number unless they're working for some shoestring outfit - they sit at a computer, their CRM application pops and they're connected with whoever and likely read prompts off an on-screen script.

You're likely getting called because the call center is run by a third party and Sally Mae hasn't notified their call center that your payment has posted. If this happens again ask to talk to a supervisor, and that supervisor's supervisor (and so on) until you get someone who can pull strings in their database and get you off the poo poo list. Otherwise they'll just keep calling until the client tells them to stop.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 23, 2017

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm all about you should pay your bills BUUUUUT:

Collection agencies are the loving scum of the earth.

I had a run in with one in 2009 when I was a college student and admittedly, I hosed up and forgot to pay something. They not only called me, but when they couldn't reach me because I was on a camping trip in the middle of the woods at the time, they called my dad's cell phone and his home number which my sister picked up because she was the only one home at the time.

After I told the lady that I realized I had made a mistake and would fix it and would like not to be called anymore she got really aggressive and asked me several times if I was refusing to pay.

I googled the company and it turns out they're a collections agency that specialized in college account. Real stand up folks, harassing college kids and their families.

tl;dr: pay your bills but gently caress collections agencies.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Previa_fun posted:

tl;dr: pay your bills but gently caress collections agencies.

This, had an auto loan that originated with one bank and then transferred to another when the first bank was bought out by the second.

When the new ownership took over they were draconian with their "reminder" calls - on the due date it wasn't uncommon to get upwards of 8 calls per day hounding me to submit a payment, and the further into the 14 day grace period between due date and late fees being assessed it would go the more frequent the calls would become. IIRC I once took upwards of 40 calls in one day. It was great when I paid the loan off a few days early - I'd usually just ignore their calls but on that day I answered and ripped into the call agent, asking if she was aware I had already submitted my payment three days ago and it paid off the loan? "No, we don't show that on our system. If you'd like I can take your payment over the phone...", all while I was looking at the zero balance for the loan in my online banking.

I verified with a branch later that day that the loan was indeed paid off, the banker apologized and mentioned that they fielded several complaints a day about the calls and were in the process of terminating their contract with that collection agency due to "questionable business practices."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

Goon in the MTB thread reviewed a few bikes including the P7, and is pretty sure he'll buy that. The Soul's 69deg with a 140mm fork seems too steep for rockier trails. Even the BFe's 68 might not be enough.
The P7 has a slack angle and just 140mm -- focus seems good for a hardtail. By a geometry calculator, should be 66.5deg with sag.
The Fox 34 on the P7 Pro is a helluva fork, in my pretty limited riding experience.
Haha, "just" 140mm on a hardtail. Things have changed a bit, yeah.

Could you point me to the MTB thread?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

MTB Megathread

Offroad riding really is the best, don't have to deal with road-ragers that way.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh I dunno. Sometimes you get to surprise them at the next set of lights and they get all embarrassed and scared and wont look at you. Especially if you are really pissed and ready to deck the oval office. The passenger I think wet themselves.

101kms, head winds and for the first time in years I got caught out without sunscreen. I am soooooo burnt

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh I dunno. Sometimes you get to surprise them at the next set of lights and they get all embarrassed and scared and wont look at you.

Oh I love doing that and now I've brought the road bike out of hibernation it happens more often. They'll overtake you impatiently, honk or gesture and not realise traffic is barely moving faster than you are...

I moved house and my route to work changed so I have to deal with so many less dickheads these days, certainly less dangerous ones. I miss being dressed in lycra and being offered out for a fight :allears:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The first renters in my wife's old house, subletted the place without telling us, trashed the place, and left four full truck and trailer loads of poo poo I had to haul off. We won a judgement for over $4k, but in SC it's nearly impossible to collect a private party debt.

I've signed them on to 2 collection agencies in the past couple years, and just checked tax records and they no longer have any vehicles registered in the local counties so it may be time to sign them up again. Maybe they moved to a state where I can garnish wages. gently caress them, I hope I drive them into divorce. :)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am going to be looking at getting a Class-2 hitch installed on the back of my new car. I was wonderinif anyone here had any reccomendations or "do's and don'ts" as far as getting these installed go.

I am probably going to look for a place that is reputable and specializes in hitches.

This would be for a bike rack, one of those storage platforms, or a small trailer.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
New Baywatch trailer is all kinds of awesome.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

gently caress off, home owners association; I'll wash my car if I drat well want to.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Three-Phase posted:

I am going to be looking at getting a Class-2 hitch installed on the back of my new car. I was wonderinif anyone here had any reccomendations or "do's and don'ts" as far as getting these installed go.

I am probably going to look for a place that is reputable and specializes in hitches.

This would be for a bike rack, one of those storage platforms, or a small trailer.

I thought toyota was a no go on towing with Hybrids.

Every hitch I have done I was able to safely install myself. Most of them don't require welding or drilling. Curt as a brand has worked for me.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

rdb posted:

I thought toyota was a no go on towing with Hybrids.

Every hitch I have done I was able to safely install myself. Most of them don't require welding or drilling. Curt as a brand has worked for me.

I might order a hitch and work on it at a friend's house. Toyota wants exhorbitant amounts of money to do the install.

This thing is listed to tow 1000lbs without braking and 1750 with. So that's a small utility trailer.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

I might order a hitch and work on it at a friend's house. Toyota wants exhorbitant amounts of money to do the install.

This thing is listed to tow 1000lbs without braking and 1750 with. So that's a small utility trailer.

The Curt brand hitch for my Prius C is only 6 bolts no drilling, very nicely made. Got it for $65 off ebay.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

gently caress off, home owners association; I'll wash my car if I drat well want to.

I said this myself this week. Normally I don't rock the boat but I needed the car clean and because it's a salvage title car I can't register/drive it for a few weeks.

I used so little water that it didn't even run downhill to my neighbors' places, it just trickled a bit and then stopped. They made the rule during a drought and found that it saved a few bucks on the community bill from idiots who let the hose run while they scrub so they left it in place.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ugh, the X220 I got has bright spots on its LCD, which is really sucky, as I was so glad I had found one with the fancy-pants IPS display. I'm so tempted to just send it back and find some other laptop.

I know it's a second-hand machine, but it's just so loving annoying to look at :(

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

If you wanna go a little far out from downtown, theres a little vietnamese restaurant called Mekong that also happens to be the #1 beer bar in america.

If you're into dive bar hotdogs and draft beer, hit up City Dog.

If you want decent German food/burgers and a great draft selection in a small-chain vibe a couple blocks from your concert, hit up Capital Ale House.

PM me if you wanna grab a beer!

e: Cuban food / atmosphere at Havana 59, BBQ at Halligans, loving weird at Wonderland (ask Chad for a hug), British nonces close to the National at Penny Lane.

Thanks, that's a good spread of stuff to check out. I'm going to be with my girlfriend and her relatives this time, but I'd be down for getting a beer next time I'm in town.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

KozmoNaut posted:

Ugh, the X220 I got has bright spots on its LCD, which is really sucky, as I was so glad I had found one with the fancy-pants IPS display. I'm so tempted to just send it back and find some other laptop.

I know it's a second-hand machine, but it's just so loving annoying to look at :(

My current work beater laptop has bright spots on the screen from where the lid has been crushed into the keyboard. I find that quite annoying and I don't even use it very much (I use an external monitor as the main screen whenever I make it to a desk)

Either return yours for a full refund or check out how much a replacement screen is for it and negotiate a discount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tomarse posted:

My current work beater laptop has bright spots on the screen from where the lid has been crushed into the keyboard. I find that quite annoying and I don't even use it very much (I use an external monitor as the main screen whenever I make it to a desk)

Either return yours for a full refund or check out how much a replacement screen is for it and negotiate a discount

From looking at the laptop, it has definitely had some pressure applied to it for long periods of time, there are wear marks on the palm rest and in other places.

Buying a replacement screens for the X220 is a risky proposition, you can pretty much only get them from random Chinese resellers, and they don't give a poo poo, every panel is "A+ quality", according to them. Even panels with pixel faults and bright spots. So I would likely just end up with something even worse.

I'm gonna return it for a refund, and look for something else.

• Locked thread