Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
In case you weren't aware, one of the biggest box office hits in movie history is currently in cinemas. Disney's live action Beauty and the Beast had the sixth biggest domestic opening weekend of all time and has made $400 million worldwide in just four days. It's loving insane.

Young Freud posted:

I'm hoping that Dafoe is Ryuk with no CG. It's just him in the suit, with little makeup.

That glowing eye effect we saw in the trailer? That's just DaFoe with glowstick fluid injected into his eyeballs. The studio didn't make him do that, he just turned up to shooting on day 1 like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Young Freud posted:

I'm hoping that Dafoe is Ryuk with no CG. It's just him in the suit, with little makeup.

All the casting announcements had Dafoe as "voicing" the character. Pretty sure it's going to be all CG/mocap. Which is bizarre, because looking at pictures of the character he basically just is Dafoe.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

VoodooXT posted:

Those were for the 2004 remasters, but they ended up restoring the original bass and drum tracks for the 30th anniversary releases because everyone loving hated the re-recordings. As for Megadeth, yeah a few vocal tracks were lost so they had to re-record them (I think "Five Magics" and "Lucretia" were the two big ones).

Ufh! Has it really been that long? :shepicide:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In case you weren't aware, one of the biggest box office hits in movie history is currently in cinemas. Disney's live action Beauty and the Beast had the sixth biggest domestic opening weekend of all time and has made $400 million worldwide in just four days. It's loving insane.

Not surprised; would also not be surprised if I lived another 60 years and died without ever having seen it. Sort of like that Alice in Wonderland movie that made so much money.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Is it really that insane? The top 19 opening weekends are all in the last decade. 6 of the top 10 are in the last two years. Like, long "weekends", inflation, and an increased theatre count/population growth virtually ensure these records will be "broken" regularly. I don't think, a few years later, anyone considers Jurassic World or Iron Man 3 significant moments in cinema history, irrespective of quality.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

cptn_dr posted:

I wonder what Jodorowsky's face was like when they told him about that.

MCCULLOCH: Both The Incal and Avant l’Incal exist in different forms, at one point with newer, considerably different colors introduced to Moebius’ and Janjetov’s drawings. Were you consulted regarding these visual alterations? Do you feel a comic is “finished” when it is published?

JODOROWSKY: With the 3 d fashion the Humanoids editor trying to seduce the young audience changed the comic colors. I didn’t like that. But comics are an industrial art like movies and it needs to sell its products. But time gave me right. The audience prefers the original colors.

Also from the same interview:
MCCULLOCH: Relatedly, I’ve noticed that many of your comics are attentive to individual albums as unique pieces of storytelling. For example, each chapter of The Metabarons is structured as Tonto starting and finishing a story. The same is true with Albino’s narrations in The Technopriests. Even in Madwoman of the Sacred Heart, there is a distinct shift in Moebius’ drawings between chapters, as time passes. Do you feel individual comics albums, even if only a chapter in a larger story, should be experienced alone, and are readers in the United States missing some of the enjoyment in only reading these series as big omnibus books?

JODOROWSKY: This question is too long and annoying for me. I stop to fart.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SomeJazzyRat posted:

So we have a trailer for Netflix's Death Note adaptation.

It looks a little silly and notably more expensive than I was expecting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS9UW2xjdqE

Watching this for the same reason I dragged myself to Blair Witch. Wingard (usually) owns.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

That glowing eye effect we saw in the trailer? That's just DaFoe with glowstick fluid injected into his eyeballs. The studio didn't make him do that, he just turned up to shooting on day 1 like that.

Jesus christ, 400 mil in 4 days?!
And I'm still happy with the 90's version.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DeimosRising posted:

Is it really that insane?

I didn't see any hype around this movie, the only times I've seen it mentioned anywhere were people bitching about the CGI designs of the Beast, Mrs. Potts and Cogsworth and the fugly Belle doll that everyone was making fun of. I don't even remember seeing any posters when I went to the cinemas in the last few weeks, it's like it came out of nowhere.

Edit:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SomeJazzyRat posted:

So we have a trailer for Netflix's Death Note adaptation.

It looks a little silly and notably more expensive than I was expecting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS9UW2xjdqE

Adam better have L sitting in weird ways.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I didn't see any hype around this movie, the only times I've seen it mentioned anywhere were people bitching about the CGI designs of the Beast, Mrs. Potts and Cogsworth and the fugly Belle doll that everyone was making fun of. I don't even remember seeing any posters when I went to the cinemas in the last few weeks, it's like it came out of nowhere.

I've seen it advertised a lot but I don't feel like I know anyone excited for it and any reviews that were beyond "it's okay." But it's Disney so of course it's going to clean up.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

wyoming posted:

JODOROWSKY: This question is too long and annoying for me. I stop to fart.

Jodo knows what's up

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Is it really that insane? The top 19 opening weekends are all in the last decade. 6 of the top 10 are in the last two years. Like, long "weekends", inflation, and an increased theatre count/population growth virtually ensure these records will be "broken" regularly. I don't think, a few years later, anyone considers Jurassic World or Iron Man 3 significant moments in cinema history, irrespective of quality.

I just looked at Logan's B.O. and wowee that's a large number worldwide. 550MM? Good for it. But it was still blown out domestically by Beauty already.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shageletic posted:

I just looked at Logan's B.O. and wowee that's a large number worldwide. 550MM? Good for it. But it was still blown out domestically by Beauty already.

It's hilarious that movies that make half a billion are just swept aside routinely. Quarter of a bil? FLOP

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They released a revised version of that doll after complaints and in the mock up it was almost too good.

And yeah, the film didnt need too much advertising because seriously. It did have more youtube views of its trailer than Force Awakens though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

It took Logan 19 days to make as much domestically as Beauty and the Beast made in four days. BatB has also already made 2/3 of Logan's foreign BO over those same periods.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's hilarious that movies that make half a billion are just swept aside routinely. Quarter of a bil? FLOP

Many of those films also had production budgets of a quarter of a billion, it's all crazy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Many of those films also had production budgets of a quarter of a billion, it's all crazy.

Even something like Crimson Peak cost more than a hundred million to make.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Even something like Crimson Peak cost more than a hundred million to make.

I thought that was only $55m?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I thought that was only $55m?

I thought it was waaay more than that. I may be confusing it with something else.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Shageletic posted:

Logan is an R rated violent comic book film while Beauty and the Beast is a Disney fairy tale movie. It isn't really fair to compare them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The excitement in the office among 20 and 30 something women is what I guess passes for the other side of the coin from dorky comic book movies.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I'm a mid-30s dude who was super excited for b&b until I learned they cast Emma Watson. #notmybelle

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ammanas posted:

I'm a mid-30s dude who was super excited for b&b until I learned they cast Emma Watson. #notmybelle

You're an anomaly, then, since most dude in their mid-30s now always had a boner for Watson since puberty.

Except for that one guy on the recently-deceased IMDB boards who made a thread saying he's "worried" that recent reports have indicated that she might become a feminist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

You're an anomaly, then, since most dude in their mid-30s now always had a boner for Watson since puberty.

Except for that one guy on the recently-deceased IMDB boards who made a thread saying he's "worried" that recent reports have indicated that she might become a feminist.

How could someone A) Care about Emma Watson, B) Be "worried" about her feminism and C) Not know she gave a widely reported on speech to the UN about gender equality?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They care about Emma Watson because she was a pretty actress in a popular movie series around the time they started noticing that girls can be pretty. Her activism is a much more recent thing after Harry Potter is over.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Snooze Cruise posted:

Adam better have L sitting in weird ways.

I hope they have him eating different sweets in every shot even within the same scenes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was listening to a yacht-rock playlist going on youtube and I Ambrosia's (I think that was the band?) You Can Do Magic" came up. The video itself was a slideshow of model shots of Ema Watson. It was pretty creepy. Good song though.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Taking bets on how much Mulan live action version will make
$1.2 billion

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Woof Blitzer posted:

Taking bets on how much Mulan live action version will make
$1.2 billion

If there is one live action Disney remake that will reach that level, it's the one starring an Asian actress and set in China.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The MSJ posted:

If there is one live action Disney remake that will reach that level, it's the one starring an Asian actress and set in China.

There is a decent chance that a Mulan remake will star white people in all but one role

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rupert Grint produced and stars in the Crackle original series Snatch

The trailer is terrible/awesome but the show proper (only watched episode 1 so far) is actually not bad at all and is kinda like Edgar Wright does Guy Ritchie, it's not bad!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The MSJ posted:

You know who's in the Disney family and wants to make the jump to movies?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is a decent chance that a Mulan remake will star white people in all but one role

They already said they are not going to whitewash the movie. But they could have John Cleese reprise this role.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onlSf6fOhxk

precision posted:

Rupert Grint produced and stars in the Crackle original series Snatch

The trailer is terrible/awesome but the show proper (only watched episode 1 so far) is actually not bad at all and is kinda like Edgar Wright does Guy Ritchie, it's not bad!

Good to hear. Is Crackle available worldwide?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yet by ticket sales none even come close to Gone With the Wind.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why not just have the lady who voiced Mulan play her in the remake.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rirse posted:

I know she's hot and all, but Ming-na Wen is also 51. Mulan probably needs to be played by someone younger.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rirse posted:

Because Mulan is about a teenager and that actress is 53.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Madkal posted:

Logan is an R rated violent comic book film while Beauty and the Beast is a Disney fairy tale movie. It isn't really fair to compare them.

Also a 90m budget

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Doubtful in this day in age. Moana had Pacific Islanders in all key roles. I guess Temura Morrison doesn't sing so some guy from Hamilton did that.

I hope they don't fly too close to the sun and try to do live action Poctahontas. That would be a loving disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The MSJ posted:

I know she's hot and all, but Ming-na Wen is also 51. Mulan probably needs to be played by someone younger.

Yeah I know she that old, which really surprised me considering how hot she is on Agents of SHIELD. I could see her being a cameo or support character in it through.

• Locked thread