Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know about you guys, but I am completely satisfied that the Nohrian princess openly journeying with us has a mysterious crystal she isn't showing anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
For the record, Leo canonically has a crush on Camilla, which he hasn't told anyone about because she's his sister. Take that as you will; personally, it creeps me out (not that most things dealing with Camilla don't creep me out). Also: Random Deus Ex Machina to justify adding more stages so it doesn't feel "too short."

Anyway, I've got a feeling about what that crystal is, but I'm not allowed to speculate.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

CptWedgie posted:

For the record, Leo canonically has a crush on Camilla, which he hasn't told anyone about because she's his sister. Take that as you will; personally, it creeps me out (not that most things dealing with Camilla don't creep me out). Also: Random Deus Ex Machina to justify adding more stages so it doesn't feel "too short."

Anyway, I've got a feeling about what that crystal is, but I'm not allowed to speculate.

That is super creepy. So creepy that you shouldn't have mentioned it, especially since I've beaten all three paths and that wasn't ever even hinted at. Also, you've clearly played the game before so thanks for not ""speculating"".

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

SweaterGear posted:

That is super creepy. So creepy that you shouldn't have mentioned it, especially since I've beaten all three paths and that wasn't ever even hinted at. Also, you've clearly played the game before so thanks for not ""speculating"".

To be fair, it was apparently only mentioned in a Japanese-exclusive artbook. Yes, the backlash was horrible when they published that little tidbit; apparently the fanbase went from "Leo wins a character poll" to "demanding Leo's death" as soon as it was released.

Anyway, I'll admit that, while I've been heavily spoiled, I've only played one path thus far (and thus don't know the specifics), so it really would be speculation if I said anything about the crystal; it's just... well, any possible guesses I'd have would involve those spoilers, so I can't talk about them until they come up in the LP.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Glazius posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I am completely satisfied that the Nohrian princess openly journeying with us has a mysterious crystal she isn't showing anyone.

That's my problem with Azura: She's mysterious and aloof completely for the sake of being mysterious and aloof, and the explanation for WHY she's like that is easily the third dumbest thing in the game.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

CptWedgie posted:

For the record, Leo canonically has a crush on Camilla, which he hasn't told anyone about because she's his sister. Take that as you will; personally, it creeps me out (not that most things dealing with Camilla don't creep me out).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
B Support

Argh! How could I be so careless? Someone got a hit in on my foot, and now I can hardly move...
Are you OK, Saizo?! Oh no, your foot! You shouldn't have come to my aid like that. Besides, I thought you didn't trust me. Why did you risk your life to protect me?
Regardless of how I feel, keeping you safe is my responsibility. That's all there is to it. In any case, we're wasting time. Go now. Hurry and return to safety.
No, I can't. I won't leave you here. I think we're safe, for the moment. Our enemies have retreated, thanks to you. So please, let me tend to your injury.
This is no shallow scrape, milady. To stay would put you in danger, so leave. NOW.
Just as I thought, the cut runs deep.
You're losing a lot of blood. And if you can't move it without pain, you might have broken a bone. I'm going to have to bandage this up before it gets any worse.
Gwaaaaahhh!
You must be in so much pain. If only I had some bandages...
... Here, this will have to suffice...
Wh-what are you doing, woman?! Why are you tearing your clothes apart?
You need first aid but I don't have access to bandages, so I'm using this for now.
Milady... Why would you do such a thing for me after what I told you? Huh?! Th-that scar! Where did you...?
Oh, that. I apologize if it makes you uncomfortable. I usually keep it hidden...
No, it is I who should apologize. I didn't mean to stare. It's just... That scar looks very painful.
... Will you sit quietly while I tell you a story? That might help distract you from the pain.
I got this awful scar during my time in Nohr. Sadly, it was no accident.
What do you mean? Did someone actually do that to you?!
There were some noble children who were older than I. They cornered me, and... They thought it was funny, teasing the outcast, but it went too far.
Anyway, that's how I got the scar. A token of my broken past.
... After what they did, do you hold a grudge against them...and against Nohr?
I'm not quite sure myself. It's complicated, but I'd be lying if I said all is forgiven.
Though really I think the world as a whole needs to change, not just one part of it.
I see...
OK, all done. This should hold until we can get you back to camp. Can you stand?
Y-yes, kind of...
Here, hold on to my shoulders. I know you don't like me, but please accept my help so we can get you to safety. Come on then, let's head back to where everyone else is before they get worried.

A Support

Um... Hello, milady.
Hello, Saizo. What brings you here?
I wish to apologize for what happened on the battlefield. I should not have asked about your scar and made you relive painful memories. I'm deeply sorry for causing you pain...
Please don't be sorry—you didn't do anything wrong. Is that all?
That is all. I just felt the need to apologize for what happened. Good day...
Wait! I don't need your apology, but isn't there anything else you want to say?
Something else? I...I'm not sure what you mean by that.
I didn't open up to you so you would feel sorry for me. That's not what I want at all. An ally fell on the battlefield, and I helped him through his pain by sharing my past.
No big deal, really. Instead of apologizing, maybe you could just say thank you.
Oh! Um, I'm sorry... I... Milady...
Hahaha, there you go apologizing again.
I apolo-... That is to say, I... *deep breath* Thank you, Azura. You did whatever was necessary to help me, and all without thinking twice. I truly appreciate your kindness, though I still feel I owe you an apology... My behavior toward you was unforgivable. I just didn't know...the whole story.
Please, think nothing of it. Honestly, you're even more uptight than I am! No matter what you do or say, you'll always be an irreplaceable ally to me.
But if you still feel sorry for me, perhaps you can do me a favor to set things right. If you wouldn't mind, maybe we can put aside our differences from now on. I'm not great at opening up to people, but I promise to try my hardest if you will too. What do you think?
I'd like that very much, milady. From now on, I shall regard you as a valued ally both on and off the battlefield.

S Support

Hello, milady.
Saizo, why the long face? Please don't tell me you're here to apologize again!
No, not quite. Though I would like to offer a token of gratitude for what you did... Back home we have a special salve that can completely heal any scar. If you will allow it, I would like to bring you some to help erase your painful past.
That's really nice of you, but I'd rather you save it for somebody who really needs it. Like you, for example. That scar on your eye is much deeper than mine...
Ah, yes, but this scar is a part of me now. To remove it would feel wrong. Besides, it's expected for men to have scars. Women must remain delicate.
That sounds kind of silly to me. Are you always this sexist?
So I've been told. Even still, I hope you'll consider what I'm about to ask... Milady, I cannot shake the desire to take responsibility for you.
What do you mean by taking responsibility?
Milady, may I...stay by your side?
Huh?! I-I'm not sure I heard you correctly...
I've learned much from you. Your kindness in the face of cruelty has inspired me. I need to be near you. My feelings are a surprise even to myself, but they run deep. I shall ever be in the service of my liege, Lord Ryoma. That shall never change. But I wish to serve you as well, and to be the man to keep you safe now and forever.
Y-you're not doing this to atone for not trusting me all these years, are you?
I'm not sure how or why I came to love you, milady. All I know is that I love you. I hope that is sufficient...
Saizo... *sniff*
You've made me so happy today! Having your love and your trust means the world to me.
Wait, does that mean...?
I love you too, Saizo. Please stay by my side, always.
I've never been so happy. From now on, your heart is mine to protect.
I feel the same way.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Say what you will about the timing of S supports, but they're always mushy enough to get a smile out of me. Music helps too, appropriately romantic and such

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
The further and further Birthright goes the more and more the game seems like some kind of Gaia Online forum roleplay. Consider our hero is a white haired, red eyed half-dragon prince who is kind hearted and sensitive (he even loves animals) and his only flaw is being to trusting and kind (when he's not careening wildly out of character to threaten to murder people for no loving reason). Also on top of being a half-dragon he also has a magic sword and a double (triple?) tragic backstory and also gets to marry his sister but don't worry, she's not actually his sister so it's okay. And he just has a mostly grown kid around because parenting isn't fun to a 13 year old so she's magically a teen too and now gets to pal around with him. Oh and he has a magical dragon pet/maid who lives in his secret magic palace that all his friends hang out in and go to hot springs. This, of course, is leaving out that his brothers and sisters (which he has like, what, eight?) are all fighting and are descended from LIGHT and DARK dragons and all have magic powers and are super bad rear end goths and samurai.

None of that is even hyperbolic!

Not to mention the world lives up to the nickname Nolore where things seemed pulled out of thin air when the plot decides it's necessary. Oh poo poo, uh, well there's this magic sage you need to go to, but actually getting there would be boring so here's a magic book to get there. Oh there's a resistance against the evil king that was never mentioned before and will probably not be mentioned again.

The whole game is 20 thirteen year olds posting their BAD rear end original characters and posting in rainbow text how Corrin slashes Leo with his magical sword! TELEPORTS BEHIND YOU!

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Azura and Saizo? So... awkward...

Is it safe to assume that you're still letting the RNG choose your S-ranks?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Every single marriage is a dice roll. There is no bias.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Well, I may complain about Azura and Saizo being awkward, but at least it isn't as bad as Corrin and Hinoka... right? Maybe?

Oh, who am I kidding, the thing about not actually being related comes out of nowhere, but at least they obviously like each other from the start (even if it isn't- and probably shouldn't be- "that way"), unlike Saizo's lifelong distrust of Azura doing a complete 180 over the course of, like, 3 conversations. That's just PAINFUL.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

Every single marriage is a dice roll. There is no bias.

Will this policy hold true across the lp?

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Will this policy hold true across the lp?

Considering that was how he chose Corrin's S-support, yes I assume so

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So a couple things are different about Fates kids you may have noticed with Kana. The parental origins are reversed in these games, with the fathers determining the kid and the mother determining the hair color.

The exception are female Corrin and Azura, who have a kid of their own.

The roar of the waves is like the sweetest lullaby.
We've got trouble, Lady Azura!
Slow down, Felicia. Tell me what's happened.
Um...um...a pegasus—I mean, the young man riding it— He's just crashed onto our ship! Well, the pegasus did too, but—
What was that?! Someone on a pegasus has just landed? Point the way!

Wait, flew out? Then where the heck are they currently?

Because my second question is why is Azura on a boat randomly?

Oh, my! You're hurt! And your pegasus looks ready to collapse!
Never mind us. We need to return to my Deeprealm at once. My village is under attack.
You and your friends must help me save whoever's left.
What's that? Your village—? But from what enemy?
I...I don't know. It's hard to see them sometimes.
What?
They're only semivisible. But they're fierce fighters.

Oh, those random things that never show up after like 8 story chapters?

One thing I am sure is that they're after ME.

Shigure, you don't know that.
Wait, I sense something...someone...

It's them!
My apologies, Shigure. This grim turn of events is all my fault. They're after you...because of me.
Come again? What do you have to do with this, Mother?
Well, I can't explain. Not here. Now, a moment, please.

Azura Does Not Explain poo poo

*Azura gets in front of Shigure*

Shigure, stay close! I'm certain those fiends are readying an attack. But if they think they're getting their hands on you...
Mother, who are they? Why did you say this is all your fault?
I'm sorry to say it must remain a mystery, at least for a little longer.

By "little" she means in converted Deep Realm time

Tell that to my friends.
Trust me, Son. I had little choice. Now, hide yourself. I'll take care of them. That's the least I can do.
It's just...it's just not right. My whole village, and because of what? You must have your reasons for keeping such deadly secrets, Mother.

You a bad mommy, Azura

Listen, Shigure. The stakes are higher than you can imagine. But if you insist in fighting, then promise that you'll do so at a safe distance.
No. My friends didn't have any such choice. I won't shy from battle.
I see. Then I promise that MY friends will keep you safe as can be.
Losing you would ruin me. You will live, my son, even if it's at the cost of my life.
No, Mother!

Oh, NOW you want to be the dedicated mother?

We won't lose. Not if I can help it. My friends and I will make them pay. Everyone, prepare for battle!
I’m with you all the way, Mother.

The mission starts you off in the middle ship while the ships above and below take turns connecting to our team's ship.

Here's a kicker, Shigure doesn't actually fight in this chapter despite begging to be in it.

Bench 4 units, last call for Kaden and Kaze: http://www.strawpoll.me/12588975

Unpromoted units: Kaze, Takumi, Azama, Kaden

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The fact that there are whole villages living in the Deeprealms seems, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, like you could go 5 Princes of Amber and pull whole armies out of nowhere quickly.

You could make a whole setting out of this.

Naturally, we don't.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The fact that there are whole villages living in the Deeprealms seems, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, like you could go 5 Princes of Amber and pull whole armies out of nowhere quickly.

You could make a whole setting out of this.

Naturally, we don't.

Thing that gets me is that, from the sound of this, they sent the kids to different places. Most ridiculous case, different alternate worlds completely. Which does make it easier to keep them from finding a way out since anyone they know doesn't have the same urge to leave, but still.

And from the mention that Azura was a special case and most kids are determined by the dads, would it be safe to assume Saizo has a kid as well? And the odds of them literally never having met their brother at all? Kind of wondering if they have different supports for when someone's related to one of the other kids.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Argent Cinereus posted:

And from the mention that Azura was a special case and most kids are determined by the dads, would it be safe to assume Saizo has a kid as well? And the odds of them literally never having met their brother at all? Kind of wondering if they have different supports for when someone's related to one of the other kids.

Wait a bit; it shouldn't take too long for this to be answered.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Oh just wait until we get to Saizo's kid. Ahahahaha you thought you've seen peak Fates stupidity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CptWedgie posted:

To be fair, it was apparently only mentioned in a Japanese-exclusive artbook. Yes, the backlash was horrible when they published that little tidbit; apparently the fanbase went from "Leo wins a character poll" to "demanding Leo's death" as soon as it was released.
this didnt happen, they just thought it was dumb.

Space Bat posted:

The whole game is 20 thirteen year olds posting their BAD rear end original characters and posting in rainbow text how Corrin slashes Leo with his magical sword! TELEPORTS BEHIND YOU!
if it was this at least more of the cast would actually be able to do stuff

does anyone remember the last time sakura had a line?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

does anyone remember the last time sakura had a line?

Probably way back when Takumi was sick.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Tae posted:

By the way, Leo, this is my wife
Isn't that...the princess of Hoshido?
And this is my daughter
HI UNCLE LEO
...So this is how Hoshidans function...?
Please tell me this is going to be a recurring thing you do, because seriously, it needs to be acknowledged and the game doesn't EVER DO poo poo with it.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
"My son is in mortal danger because of me! Should I explain things properly? ...naaaaahh"

quote:

Um...um...a pegasus—I mean, the young man riding it— He's just crashed onto our ship! Well, the pegasus did too, but—
So the characters really have no idea of each other's kids? Or do they know there was a kid but have no idea what they grew up to look like? I have so many questions, and I'm starting to think none of them will be answered.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Black Feather posted:

So the characters really have no idea of each other's kids? Or do they know there was a kid but have no idea what they grew up to look like? I have so many questions, and I'm starting to think none of them will be answered.
congrats, you're starting to figure it out

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Black Feather posted:

"My son is in mortal danger because of me! Should I explain things properly? ...naaaaahh"

The child system in Fire Emblem Fates exists primarily to make Tharja feel like a good parent, but even by those standards Azura is terrible.

I am pretty sure throwing an infant at Aqua from Konosuba would give you a better role model for motherhood. And there is a better than even chance she would try to sell it for booze money.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Endorph posted:

congrats, you're starting to figure it out

In my defense, this LP is my first experience with Fire Emblem and I honestly expected things to make sense.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Black Feather posted:

In my defense, this LP is my first experience with Fire Emblem and I honestly expected things to make sense.

I would catch up on the awakening lp in the first post then, because this lp is basically a sequel to that. I reference that a lot for good reason.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Black Feather posted:

Tbh, this one made a lot less sense than previous games. Despite that, I really like the Fates games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Black Feather posted:

no, the other fe games are good and make sense. sometimes there's plot contrivances but there's a difference between extremely convenient things happening to move the plot along and characters not making any sense.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I agree with almost every criticism of Fates's story in this thread, and I've still played through Conquest four times, with a fifth in progress and also a gimmick generics-only run of Birthright.

This game has a bad story, even by FE's dismally low standards, but it's still extremely fun to play and has the best overall design in the series. If it had free class changing from FE11 and 12, there wouldn't even be a question in my head.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The map design in Conquest still has a lot of issues, IMO, but we'll get into that when we get there. I've only played through it a couple of times due to that, and I cant' see myself playing it again anytime soon.

Thracia has the best overall design and an actually pretty good story, I feel. Not by 'FE's dismally low standards,' it's just a decent story that takes advantage of the medium.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Endorph posted:

Thracia has the best overall design and an actually pretty good story, I feel. Not by 'FE's dismally low standards,' it's just a decent story that takes advantage of the medium.

I've always had a soft spot for FE4's story. With Shadows of Valentia coming out, I'm holding out hope for a Genealogy remake. But I'm weird like that.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Fates in its infinite wisdom gave us just enough husband/wife combos to where if Male Corrin marries one of them there won't be enough to get all the kids unless he marries a Corrinsexual. Apparently they didn't learn this lesson from Awakening I guess.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

This is where Azura really started to annoy me with her whole "cagey and mysterious" shtick. When you put your own child's life in danger due to your inability to not be straight with people, you cross the line from being "merely annoying" to "terrible person."

My opinion of her did not improve on subsequent routes, let's say.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

The map design in Conquest still has a lot of issues, IMO, but we'll get into that when we get there. I've only played through it a couple of times due to that, and I cant' see myself playing it again anytime soon.

4 and 5 are both really cool conceptually and they tackle very different concepts FE4 feeling like a truly epic thing, where Thracia goes off in almost the exact opposite direction and becomes about trying to build a resistance from the scraps you can steal while barely making it out alive.

I hope both games get a remake.

E: Also yeah I feel like Azura's character really, really needed a second pass-through.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 23, 2017

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

LEGO Genetics posted:

Fates in its infinite wisdom gave us just enough husband/wife combos to where if Male Corrin marries one of them there won't be enough to get all the kids unless he marries a Corrinsexual. Apparently they didn't learn this lesson from Awakening I guess.

Corrin also has the choice of marrying one of the children.

Don't think about it too hard. Or at all, really.

TheKingofSprings posted:

4 and 5 are both really cool conceptually and they tackle very different concepts FE4 feeling like a truly epic thing, where Thracia goes off in almost the exact opposite direction and becomes about trying to build a resistance from the scraps you can steal while barely making it out alive.

I hope both games get a remake.

I agree with this wholeheartedly and would be genuinely be excited on all counts for a pair of Judgral remakes the second coming of the Marty Party

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

LEGO Genetics posted:

a subtle hint that getting the kids isn't worth it, top tier game design

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

inthesto posted:

I agree with this wholeheartedly and would be genuinely be excited on all counts for a pair of Judgral remakes the second coming of the Marty Party

It was weird marrying future children in Awakening as well, here it's just ridiculous.

There is only one exception I make and that is due to hilarious lineage issues.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

inthesto posted:

Corrin: "By the way, I'm going to marry your daughter"
Other person: "Could you wait until they are at least a week old?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

azura's character is fine, it's her role in the plot that sucks

• Locked thread