Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Even if he is Australian, it's a bit rich to assume he's unfamiliar with the New Yorker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Even if he is Australian, it's a bit rich to assume he's unfamiliar with the New Yorker

Chirst, what an rear end in a top hat!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tunicate posted:

SO MUCH FOR THE TOLERANT LEFT

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Tunicate posted:

the australian new yorker is the same way except it's just a bunch of bill leak cartoons with this caption

e:
or this one

HEY GAIL posted:

SO MUCH FOR THE TOLERANT LEFT

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HEY GAIL posted:

Gout Patrol, i think by your avatar that you are Australian--New Yorker is an American magazine that's full of great articles like that, and about half of them are available on the internet without a subscription

it's hard to pick a favorite part of that article but i'd have to say imagining the accents of the people involved

I'm American, I just enjoy the cartooning style of David Pope :worship:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm American, I just enjoy the cartooning style of David Pope :worship:

Well in case you're not a New Yorker you should check out the New Yorker, a New York magazine full of great articles and lovely cartoons.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Are they ever about New York ?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

my dad posted:

Belgrade gets razed on average once every 50 years or so, and has been doing so since around 3rd century BC. You can say that the city was built on top of rich Belgrade deposits. :v:

So what you're saying is, we're lazy and behind schedule.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This is cool. http://www.caitlingreen.org/2017/03/a-very-long-way-from-home.html

It also provoked the dumbest comment I've seen in a long time, a reply to a picture of Roman glass found in Korea.

"amazing! in this times glass was unknown in Europe!"

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

This is cool. http://www.caitlingreen.org/2017/03/a-very-long-way-from-home.html

It also provoked the dumbest comment I've seen in a long time, a reply to a picture of Roman glass found in Korea.

They meant real Europe. You know, Germany

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

HEY GAIL posted:

the foolish man built his house upon sand, and then venice and new orleans built their houses upon pudding

Geography is quick to make a fool of man. In the past floods regularly inundated hundreds of square miles, before the levees. The Mississippi alluvial plain used to be very dynamic, today you can even visit oxbow lakes formed by the meandering of the Ohio river, in Mississippi! Things change a lot. Relatively speaking though the Mississippi is gentle.

Probably the most dangerous river in the world is the Yellow River in China, in terms of historical catastrophe and potential for future destruction. The Ganges-Brahmaputra system is pretty serious too, but I don't know as much about it. Chinese history and archaeology is punctuated with monstrously destructive flood events. For example Sanyangzhuang village, found in 2003, was buried under five meters of sediment following floods in A.D. 14–17 which effected somewhere around 10 million people and caused a massive revolt against the Han dynasty. The founding myth of China describes the mythical Emperor Yu taming the river, and is likely based on a massive flood occurring in 1922 BC following the breach of a natural dam as tall as the Empire State building and which put down sediments up to 20m thick.

Historical routes of the Yellow River. in major floods the entire North China plain can be inundated and the outlet may shift to any point on the coast.

Naturally the Chinese got really good at river management way before everyone else, beginning to construct major levees around 3000 years ago. Controlling floods is relatively simple in principle: you build levees or reinforce natural ones to keep water from overflowing the banks, and you straighten channels so water can flow faster into the ocean. Simple in principle, difficult in practice. The upper reaches of river flow through the loess plateau, from which about 1.1 billion tons of sediment erode into the river every year. Overtime this material builds up the river bed, which can rise as fast as 10cm a year. Today in its lower stretches the bed can sit as much as 10 meters above the surrounding plain. When floods do breach the levees, the water naturally flows away from its former course, sometimes shifting hundreds of miles over several decades. Chinese engineers had a solid understanding of these issues thousands of years ago, from a good essay I read on the subject recently:

CHAPTER XX: Huanghe, the Yellow River posted:

In 8 BC an advisory committee led by the engineer Jiarang suggested three steps toward control: to "channelize" the river, improving its rate of flow to the sea; to divert enough water down irrigation canals and into diversion basins that floods would be mitigated; and last, to build higher levees. All three methods have been applied, with less than complete success. A Han successor Wangjing, working from about 58 AD to 76 AD, was able to stabilize the Yellow River with levees in a way that lasted for centuries. He was lucky, however, because the river had shifted its course about 11 AD, and had been wandering uncontrolled across the flood plain. Wangjing therefore inherited river flow across low land, and low levees were enough for temporary control while higher ones were built. It took the river a long time to silt its bed back to the critical levels that Jiarang had faced.

Inevitably the dyke building had to continue, but was eventually a losing battle against silting of the river bed. In fact, the dykes have failed in one place or another 1500 times in the last 2000 years, and the Yellow River has made further catastrophic course changes. Nevertheless the irrigation schemes based on the river have increased land productivity enough to feed one of the densest rural populations in the world, with surplus usually remaining to feed large cities.

Attempts to control the Yellow River can be categorized by different strategic approaches: it is ironic that the same discussions were replayed centuries later in attempts to control floods on the Sacramento drainage in northern California.

One strategy is active control of the river: to confine it within a narrow channel by high levees. The narrow-channel concept carries the danger of active erosion of the levee, but it encourages fast flow that keeps sediment in suspension, and therefore allows only slow silting of the river bed: in some circumstances the river may actually cut its bed deeper. However, there is little reserve capacity for absorbing a major flood crest, and even the high levees will inevitably be overtopped.

On the other hand, one might adopt a strategy of confining the river in a wider flood plain, between lower levees. This is cheaper to construct, but requires that more land be sacrificed to river control. It also permits a slower flow, and promotes silt deposition. Over time the river will inevitably build up its bed. However, there is much more reserve capacity for flood water in a wide channel, and there is room to build small diversion dams to encourage the river to keep to the center of the channel, avoiding the problem of scouring against the levee foundations. Either strategy can be combined with large diversion basins, into which some of the river flow can be diverted until a flood crest passes (this had been one of the strategies of the Great Yu).

Chinese scholars have sometimes seen the close confinement of the river as a "Confucian" solution of discipline and order imposed upon nature: this contrasts with the "Taoist" solution of allowing the river a more "natural" course within lighter constraints. In either case, however, river engineering represented a tremendous interference with any "natural" regime: and the contrasting solutions were more opposites of engineering than philosophical approaches. As in northern California, the "Taoist" solution was eventually preferable because the river's flow was so variable and its flood crests in particular so awesome. For example, in July 1958 flow along the river tripled in only 24 hours.

The discussion between the two styles of engineering had been played out two thousand years ago between followers of Jiarang ("Taoist," 8 BC) and Wangjing ("Confucian," 60 AD). As we have seen, Wangjing's methods worked, probably because he was able to begin from a state of chaos, so that it took centuries for the silting problem to overtake his levees.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 23, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

How much has been written about the Christian communities in Southwest India? If the Byzantines were trading with them regularly they must have known but what I remember from world history classes is that once the Portuguese got there they didn't know they would find Christians.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

Probably the most dangerous river in the world is the Yellow River in China...

that is tremendous, thank you very much

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

HEY GAIL posted:

that is tremendous, thank you very much

It's hard for me to wrap my head around the scale of disaster that could be a Yellow river flood. Like imagine what would happen if one spring the Rhine rose up and inundated everything between Paris and Berlin and when the waters finally receded its course had settled down so its outlet was in Lubeck. And now imagine that happening during the 30 years war. . . and that's why Chinese civil wars dominate "List of Wars by Death Toll" on wikipedia.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

GoutPatrol posted:

How much has been written about the Christian communities in Southwest India? If the Byzantines were trading with them regularly they must have known but what I remember from world history classes is that once the Portuguese got there they didn't know they would find Christians.

The Portuguese were looking for Christians everywhere they went. When they first encountered Hindus in East Africa they wrote home about all the great depictions of saints in the local cathedrals.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This site's full of good stuff, I think I've seen it before but didn't go reading other articles. http://www.caitlingreen.org/2016/04/heptarchy-harun-ibn-yahya.html

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Squalid posted:

It's hard for me to wrap my head around the scale of disaster that could be a Yellow river flood. Like imagine what would happen if one spring the Rhine rose up and inundated everything between Paris and Berlin and when the waters finally receded its course had settled down so its outlet was in Lubeck. And now imagine that happening during the 30 years war. . . and that's why Chinese civil wars dominate "List of Wars by Death Toll" on wikipedia.

Yep, unfortunately there's not enough money in the budget for wars and dam maintenance at the same time, never mind that a million desperate homeless refugees will immediately start another war, leaving less money for dams, not to mention losing all the food we used to grow there and the taxes on it that paid the soldiers, who are now bandits too, and someone else please take this report to the emperor cause im gonna go drown myself in an ornamental fish pond

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

Yep, unfortunately there's not enough money in the budget for wars and dam maintenance at the same time, never mind that a million desperate homeless refugees will immediately start another war, leaving less money for dams, not to mention losing all the food we used to grow there and the taxes on it that paid the soldiers, who are now bandits too, and someone else please take this report to the emperor cause im gonna go drown myself in an ornamental fish pond
does it help that your sleeves are really big? really really big

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAIL posted:

does it help that your sleeves are really big? really really big

afaik romans did not have sleeves

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

vintagepurple posted:

Wasn't Julius Caesar notorious for his sleeved togas with tassels? That's what I recall from the Dan Carlin podcast, at least.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

vintagepurple posted:

literally every tunic had short sleeves, making them longer was not wizardry.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

literally every tunic had short sleeves, making them longer was not wizardry.

This guy disagrees

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

vintagepurple posted:

pretty sure HEY GAIL was talking about ancient China

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Elyv posted:

pretty sure HEY GAIL was talking about ancient China

Romans didn't have long sleeves, and very few romans were killed by the Yellow River flooding. Clearly a lack of sleeves protected them.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I don't think the Roman mind could actually conceive of sleeves. Or indeed flooding :v:

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waci posted:

Romans didn't have long sleeves, and very few romans were killed by the Yellow River flooding. Clearly a lack of sleeves protected them.

This guy gets it.

I love y'alls thread and I really want to read the Star Trek goons' thread about the 21st century.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 25, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

I don't think the Roman mind could actually conceive of sleeves. Or indeed flooding :v:

chalk them up next to "more than three colors" and "the self"

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Here's a picture of a Han era levee, exposed in a clay pit by a modern brick factory:

It's a little hard to tell what it is at a glance but the sediment structures are quite different between the man-made levee and natural structures. It's interesting by itself, but just look at how deeply buried it is. While two thousand years ago it would have risen more than three meters above the surrounding plain, today you have to dig at least a meter underground just to scrape the top! In parts of Europe and North America with low rates of deposition and erosion you just walk around and find the foundations of neolithic houses and stone flakes sitting on the ground right where they were dropped one or two or three thousand years ago, but at this site they'd be at least 16 feet underground.

Weirdly geologists in the Mississippi valley often rely on archaeological surveys of ancient settlements to date avulsion events. Channels don't leave much in the way of dateable evidence on their own, but if you find a fire pit on the ancient levee with lots of clam shells and fish bones, you can easily assume it occurred while the channel was active.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The fact that all these ancient structures end up buried over time just supports the Expanding Earth Theory.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
I'm currently living in Naples (American expat) and am wondering about Imperial Roman era opinions of the south. Currently, northern Italians tend to look down on Neapolitans as a bunch of untrustworthy petty thieves with a weird dialect/thick accent. Was the Roman Italian peninsula area more or less homogeneous, or did writers mention needing to hire extra gladiator bodyguards when traveling to the southern cities?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Depends when exactly. Ethnically, southern Italy and a lot of Sicily were Hellenic in the early Roman period - the Romans referred to it as Magna Graecia, greater Greece - and this certainly persisted to some extent into the imperial period even though technically speaking by that point everyone in Italy was a Roman citizen. Ironically these days the North Italians look down on the South Italians, but given the reputation Greeks had with Romans the Romans thought whatever Greek heritage the south had was pretty cool. Conversely, what's now northern Italy was inhabited by Gaulish people who the Romans considered scarcely better than total barbarians right up until Julius Caesar's day.

So perhaps the answer is that in the republic it wasn't homogeneous at all, with a progressively greater degree of homogeneity being achieved over the course of the imperial period which broke down most, but not all, of the major regional identities that had existed before Rome. The Greek heritage of Magna Graecia was one that survived. To Romans, Naples was a Hellenic cultural center and a resort town where rich people often holidayed. I think but don't know for sure that any modern reputation Naples has for being a shithole full of thieves probably has to do with the unusual degree of poverty southern Italy has relative to the North, which is a relatively modern phenomenon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Latium and Campania were the Roman heartland. Early on the area was Samnite which was a problem, and Capua and Rome had a rivalry that concluded in them making the bad choice of throwing in with Hannibal, but other than that I don't think there were any distinct problems.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Naples was the Miami of Rome.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't there still a few greek-speaking communities in southern Italy and Sicily?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

vintagepurple posted:

Isn't there still a few greek-speaking communities in southern Italy and Sicily?

There's Griko ethnic community in Salento and Calabria who speak Greek dialects, but it's unclear whether it's a community and language continuous since antiquity or is the product of medieval or post-Byzantine migrations, or some of both.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

vintagepurple posted:

There are in Turkey, with language that preserves many traits of ancient Greek.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/history/jason-and-the-argot-land-where-greeks-ancient-language-survives-2174669.html

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i love the mediterranean

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage

HEY GAIL posted:

i love the mediterranean

Then, if you have an hour to spare, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRcu-ysocX4

1177 BC: The Year Civilization Collapsed (Eric Cline, PhD)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm obsessed with Britain after the end of Roman rule, so thanks for this link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

It might have been another thread but thanks whoever recommended Colleen McCullough's Rome series. I haven't read such good historical fiction in years.