Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I have a mighty need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

Fun fact: MODO drafts are up for MM3, but the value is a lot weirder than in paper: Scalding Tarn is the only fetch worth more than 10 tix; Verdant is second at 8 tix. Griselbrand is the third most expensive card because ???

Griselbrand is needed as a 4-of for a large number of combo decks, and AVR is a loving terrible draft format.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So Lsv moved out anyone know what's the deal?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Moved out from where? With his wife? From CFB?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Path one is pretty funny but those animes... :wtc:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So Lsv moved out anyone know what's the deal?

whydirt posted:

Moved out from where? With his wife? From CFB?

Not uncommon after a baby. Some people did point out on stream that he is no longer wearing a wedding ring though. I was more making fun of the wild speculation the last time but.... yeah. Maybe my hero is mortal after all. :smith:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I get why some people would be skeeved out by that past in flames, but I think it's hilarious given the context.

Where can I buy that Path?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

Not uncommon after a baby. Some people did point out on stream that he is no longer wearing a wedding ring though. I was more making fun of the wild speculation the last time but.... yeah. Maybe my hero is mortal after all. :smith:

I guess this confirms my ridiculous theory that he had an affair with Gaby! :v:

But really, whatever's going on I hope it ends up alright.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

suicidesteve posted:

I guess this confirms my ridiculous theory that he had an affair with Gaby! :v:

But really, whatever's going on I hope it ends up alright.

Yeah, I can only hope that whatever it is, it isn't/wasn't too acrimonious, and the kid is all right.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Angry Grimace posted:

Fun fact: MODO drafts are up for MM3, but the value is a lot weirder than in paper: Scalding Tarn is the only fetch worth more than 10 tix; Verdant is second at 8 tix. Griselbrand is the third most expensive card because ???
Because Griselbrand is a good card and half a million of them weren't given away in 2016 on MTGO.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

So basically if I wanted to build a modern deck on modo, now would be the time.

Good thing Merfolk was already dirt cheap.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

80s James Hetfield posted:

Beat quote ever ITT:

"It's too bad that this multimillion dollar brand owned by a billion dollar corporation can't solve the gargantuan task of allocating an appropriate amount of resources to a real product that they charge money for."

To be fair I work for a major car company that sells billions a year and we can't figure out how to fund IT either.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
When would be the best time to buy MM3 cards on MODO?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Couple weeks from now most likely. never

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

these are both good, except i need a equivalent past in flames with jace x sorin on it

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Edit: Nevermind

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I hope LSV didn't do anything bad, and is also okay, because he seems/seemed like a really good guy

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Is there still someone in this thread who will post SCG Premium articles for those of us who aren't paying for it?

http://www.starcitygames.com/articl...campaign=buffer

If not then oh well, but i'd be interested in hearing what Shaun McLaren thinks about it.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

mehall posted:

Is there still someone in this thread who will post SCG Premium articles for those of us who aren't paying for it?

http://www.starcitygames.com/articl...campaign=buffer

If not then oh well, but i'd be interested in hearing what Shaun McLaren thinks about it.

Unban bbe and twin, maybe Jace.

I only skimmed

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Errant Gin Monks posted:

To be fair I work for a major car company that sells billions a year and we can't figure out how to fund IT either.

Fixing software issues quickly is a problem that literally every software company struggles with because just having people add quick fixes or patches to code whenever they're needed without any planning or testing is a really, really, really bad idea. And that's true for companies that are actually *good* at making software

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

Unban bbe and twin, maybe Jace.

I only skimmed

Belf doesn't need to be banned anymore, since DRS was the problem card in that deck, but it also doesn't do anything good for the format. Jund is already a good deck, and unbanning Belf means people have a choice of if they want it, but no new decks would be made around Belf.

Twin, I agree with the original reasoning for why they banned it, even if it was motivated partially by the need for changes at Pro Tour.

Jace, I do agree with for all the reasons highlighted before, but Counterspell in Modern would actually be better. Also, if you give blue in Modern Jace or Counterspell, that's another reason to not unban Twin.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Software development is one of those things that can't be improved just by using more people and more money.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 23, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I have a math problem for yall that are better than me at figuring these things out:

How much damage can I do with a Liliana, the Last Hope if she's left unchecked and untouchable for about 30 or 35 turns, and my opponent also doesn't play any removal for the zombies?

This came up the other day at modern weekly. I loaned someone abzan company and decided to play esper walkers. They won game 1, and in game 2 I made a misplay that gave them a chance to gain infinite life. I asked them to state a number, and they said a googolplex, or a 1 with 100 zeroes behind it. I decided my only out was to deck them; between them chording, using company, and me knowing I had 2 surgicals with snapcaster in the deck, I decided to ignore any real card advantage and use that to make them draw out. I successfully killed every threat, surgicalled finks, snap surgical, used a 2nd surgical with narset's rebound ability, and then snap surgical that as well, so 5 total. They refused to scoop and decided to play it out to win on time. I didn't feel like I had time to try to figure out if the math was possible with multiple liliana emblems, and just assumed it wasn't possible, but someone nearby kept insisting that if I had done that, I could've won through damage. I eventually won the entire match on turn 5 of turns, but this person was annoyingly insistent that I should've made multiple emblems to win. I think even trying to do the math would've cost me the match on time, more so than drawing him to death. Someone good at math want to provide a formula?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hold on let me find a napkin and a pen.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Didn't a guy just do this math on a video? One Lily emblem and 45 turns was like 170 billion damage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you make another emblem every 8 turns, I think you end up about 1/3rd of the way through their life total by the time they deck out. I didn't exactly do rigorous math, but you end up with ~10^37 zombies by the time that happens, and even you got them all immediately and were attacking with them every turn that still leaves you far short on damage.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I have a math problem for yall that are better than me at figuring these things out:

How much damage can I do with a Liliana, the Last Hope if she's left unchecked and untouchable for about 30 or 35 turns, and my opponent also doesn't play any removal for the zombies?

This came up the other day at modern weekly. I loaned someone abzan company and decided to play esper walkers. They won game 1, and in game 2 I made a misplay that gave them a chance to gain infinite life. I asked them to state a number, and they said a googolplex, or a 1 with 100 zeroes behind it. I decided my only out was to deck them; between them chording, using company, and me knowing I had 2 surgicals with snapcaster in the deck, I decided to ignore any real card advantage and use that to make them draw out. I successfully killed every threat, surgicalled finks, snap surgical, used a 2nd surgical with narset's rebound ability, and then snap surgical that as well, so 5 total. They refused to scoop and decided to play it out to win on time. I didn't feel like I had time to try to figure out if the math was possible with multiple liliana emblems, and just assumed it wasn't possible, but someone nearby kept insisting that if I had done that, I could've won through damage. I eventually won the entire match on turn 5 of turns, but this person was annoyingly insistent that I should've made multiple emblems to win. I think even trying to do the math would've cost me the match on time, more so than drawing him to death. Someone good at math want to provide a formula?

Not enough.

It's easier to do with excel since this is recursive. On turn 1 you have 0 zombies. On turn 2 you have turn 1 zombies + (turn1 zombies +2 )*emblems. Turn 3, same thing, but substitute turn 2 for turn 1.

If you put this into excel, your formula is "=C2+(2+C2)*C$1" where C1 is the number of emblems (the $ means when you fill down, it doesn't change), then you fill down 35 slots. With 8 emblems you get 5.5*10^32 zombies by turn 34.

Also a googolplex isn't a 1 with a 100 zeroes after it (that's a googol), it's a 1 with a googol zeroes after it. Unreachable unless you have a flat out infinite combo.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Molybdenum posted:

Didn't a guy just do this math on a video? One Lily emblem and 45 turns was like 170 billion damage.

I couldn't find anything before I posted but I searched some more after you said this and found what you're talking about. Frank Karsten did a CFB article about it for the exact scenario I mentioned, except he's assuming you ultimated LLH at 7 loyalty and she gets binned. It does go over 140 trillion for 45 turns, but this doesn't account for making multiple emblems. He then goes on to say that if you make infinite life, you should name a googol or googolplex, which I didn't know the difference of. I learned something today!

Edit: thanks evilweasel!

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

One Lily couldn't do it.

A deck could do it, but you'd have to be running 4 Lilianas, and make optimal emblems (like turn 3 Lily, turn 7 emblem, play new Lily, once you get to the last Lily, make emblems every 8/9 turns). You'd end up with just over a googleplex.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maulfist Revolutionary let's you ultimate faster.

Bunch of other stuff outside standard.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You can just not bin her, you'll only lose a turn.

Anyway you need 332 emblem triggers to make over a googol zombies, so 331 triggers is enough to kill 'em.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I remember that one ridiculous deck that surpassed up arrow notation but remained finite

Anyone have a link to it?

E: nevermind, found it: http://www.soniccenter.org/sm/mtg/megacombo.html

Jen X fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 23, 2017

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, I can only hope that whatever it is, it isn't/wasn't too acrimonious, and the kid is all right.

Alternate idea: office now in different room, and he lost more weight and his ring is loose?

Ugh feels gross to gossip about LSV but here I am doing it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Minority Deport posted:

So the reason why one version of a card was broken while the other isn't is simple. Whoever was setting up the broken version messed up the copy/paste.

And we wonder why mtgo feels like it's run by lemmings.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I was really mad when I found out that Magic Duels caps you at 100 tokens after I stabilized with a Lili emblem one game.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

ShaneB posted:

Alternate idea: office now in different room, and he lost more weight and his ring is loose?

Ugh feels gross to gossip about LSV but here I am doing it.

I think the three or four of us who care are freaking out about our fearless leader having problems as opposed to reveling in his potential misery. Thats being nosy not gossipy

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I figure just not speculate because a) we don't know what's going on and B) if we did know the marriage is jacked we don't know why. Marriages don't work for a lot of reasons and kids amplify those issues.

Eventually he'll say what he thinks needs to be said.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Where do you guys even get this information? I'm not big on Twitter or Facebook so I just know what I read here usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

This came up the other day at modern weekly. I loaned someone abzan company and decided to play esper walkers. They won game 1, and in game 2 I made a misplay that gave them a chance to gain infinite life. I asked them to state a number, and they said a googolplex,

A Googolplex is an exceptionally large number, and effectively infinite for most MTG purposes. It would be incredibly hard to reach that high with exponential growth across only forty-five or so turns.

• Locked thread