Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Fujis modern cameras are really well built. I have the xt20 with the kit 18-55, and everything is extremely solid. Canons crop lenses are plastic and dont have much weight to the zoom, they feel cheap. Fuji on the other hand have a weight and a tightness to them that makes them feel nice. I find it hard to put into words and I don't want to sound like a gear fetishist but the modern Fuji gear I've tried definitely feels higher quality than the canon stuff I've used.

If you buy a rebel, it will feel cheap. They are designed to be cheap entry level DSLRs. I don't think buying mine was a mistake, they are good for what they are, but they are cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
That makes sense - they do look pretty legit on Amazon. I gotta say, buying my first real camera has lead to a lot of decision paralysis. So many options, I am honestly torn on what to do.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

InFlames235 posted:

That makes sense - they do look pretty legit on Amazon. I gotta say, buying my first real camera has lead to a lot of decision paralysis. So many options, I am honestly torn on what to do.

To be fair here, Fuji is not cheap, and it's well built, but it's so light it's almost distracting if you're used to other cameras. The whole X system uses super light lenses until you get into the big telephotos, and the bodies are super light as well.

Also, you should probably just expect that you'll replace systems at some point even if you're just trying to figure out what you want now, so don't think you're locked in for life.

Buy whatever, figure out what you like using it, focus on that. Once you manage to run out of camera in that area (not trivial), start looking for cameras that might do that job better.

Don't sweat making a bad decision because we're not going to have enough information about you as a photographer to recommend anything too seriously (and you probably don't either).

But don't wait for poo poo. If you're motivated to go take photos today and don't have a camera today you're just hurting yourself.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

InFlames235 posted:

I know the feeling from both camera and music purchases. If it helps at all, I used to shoot Canon and also Sony mirrorless and the only Fuji I had when I was shooting those was the X100. But I switched directly and suddenly to Fuji because of how good the X100 was and how awesome it felt to use. I sold all my Canon gear (I had a 5D, 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 so it was not cheap gear) and jumped to Fuji and I was glad that I did basically right from the start. I moved to an X-T1, which is right in your price range now although it was new and their best body at the time, and even though I missed full frame for a little while the user experience was just so much better with Fuji that I now have no regrets (having a ton of lenses helps). If I were starting out now, and also when friends are asking, I would totally start on a Fuji. The image quality is just really impressive from basically all of their lenses, the bodies and lenses feel great, I love the external controls (and this was actually one of the biggest reasons I switched initially) and it can be as small and light or heavy as I want it to be because of the tiny and superb f2 wr lenses they have or I can get my big dick 100-400 on it with the battery grip if I feel like having a big heavy camera again.

Your uncertainty makes me want to get in the mode of telling you why Fuji is so awesome because it is like a public service getting people into Fuji. Yes other camera makers also make great cameras but literally the only reason I would say not to get Fuji is if you want full frame for some reason. If you are already buying a crop body, though, and the lenses you are getting are crop lenses (which are definitely not as good from brands like Canon - they just don't care about their crop lens lineup because they know that so many will just want full frame lenses...so investing in crop lenses you will need to start over from scratch if you do go to full frame) there are just not many reasons to suggest anything else unless you have a compelling reason to do so.

I do agree though that waiting is bad because the longer you wait, the longer you aren't taking pictures. I mean, don't rush into it and do make an informed decision, but at some point just trust your gut and go for whatever just so that you can start shooting and get into the slippery poo poo filled money lined rabbit hole that is photography.

If you want any Fuji info then come on over to the mirrorless thread. It is basically the Fuji thread except for some m4/3 chat. You have some good options available at the price point you are looking at.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

InFlames235 posted:

Just buy something. You'll take better pictures and get more experience getting a maybe-not-perfect-for-you camera* than you will reading spec sheets and opinions from people on the internet. You'll only learn how like you to work and what features are important to you by actually taking pictures. Maybe you eventually sell your gear and move into a new system for whatever reason, but no matter what you get you'll be able to take some awesome pictures right now.

Maybe go to a store or rent some gear to see what interface clicks with you. But really, just get something and start learning how to take picture. Then spend all your time fretting about which other lenses you want.

*no camera will be perfect

tk fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 21, 2017

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Guys, I did it. I decided to go the refurb route and got the 80D refurbished w/ the 18 - 55 lens kit from the Canon website as well as a case, U3 memory card (64gb) and cleaning kit from Amazon. The refurbished route saved over $300 from getting the 80D new and it was only $50 more than going with a T7i and a lens so I figured that $50 was more than fair for the improvements you'd get.

I think this will give me a LOT to play around with and learn for quite some time before I'd be ready for anything better too :). Thanks for all the recommendations and advice - I'm excited to get my camera!!

InFlames235 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 21, 2017

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Congrats! That is much better than the T6 so good job.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InFlames235 posted:

Guys, I did it.

Great! Congratulations!

Now take a poo poo-ton of photos and post stuff in threads in the Dorkroom. Not the garbage, but the I-think-this-might-be-OK stuff, and we'll help you.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but I have a Nikon D5100 i shoot video with. It's very limited, and I get these results:

(Heads up, there's a jump scare in the first 10 seconds, dumb whatever)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SumHnau7GRI

Unless my settings are just all over the place, I'm not very happy with the video quality. And that's after heavy color correcting in Premiere.

This camera is old at this point. Is there something significantly better I can do for video under $1,000 these days?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Do you want to stay with Nikon?

You can probably get a Panasonic G70 or GX 80 with a few lenses for ~1000 bucks.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Popelmon posted:

Do you want to stay with Nikon?

You can probably get a Panasonic G70 or GX 80 with a few lenses for ~1000 bucks.

I don't particularly have an allegiance to either. I like my lense I have with my Nikon, but it was $300 on Amazon and I figure there's an equal equilavent on the Panasonic. I do like the photos my Nikon takes, but I figure any DSLR now can out do it now.

I've been seeing the G7 recommended a lot on Reddit.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Is it the color rendition you don't like about the video? Have you tried shooting under high CRI lighting? There's also firmware hacks for the D5100 that boost the video bitrate to something like 54mbps (up from 24) and allows you shoot video in manual mode (control over ISO), which is not available in the standard firmware.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
If video is your priority, and you're vaguely brand agnostic, you're better served by Panasonic or even Canon.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

BANME.sh posted:

Is it the color rendition you don't like about the video? Have you tried shooting under high CRI lighting? There's also firmware hacks for the D5100 that boost the video bitrate to something like 54mbps (up from 24) and allows you shoot video in manual mode (control over ISO), which is not available in the standard firmware.

I don't like the color rendition and I envy the sharpness of most other YouTube videos. Say like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApNtpL0KcuQ

It looks so sharp and vivid. Unfortunately, that's a Sony a7 and that wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of my price range ($2,000+).

I bought this to help with the lighting. It's super bright, but admittedly, I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing with it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FHZ2SI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the lens I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001S2PPT0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I wouldn't mind some better video stabilization. Adobe Premiere's doesn't work very well with my Nikon.

89 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 22, 2017

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
If you want good stabilization Sony (expensive) and Panasonic are your best choices. IBIS is amazing for video, especially if you use primes that don't have IS.

Your link to the light doesn't work.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Popelmon posted:

If you want good stabilization Sony (expensive) and Panasonic are your best choices. IBIS is amazing for video, especially if you use primes that don't have IS.

Your link to the light doesn't work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FHZ2SI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My bad.

The Panasonic GX85 does look very nice. Any heads up on a couple of lenses to start it with if I go that route?

89 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 22, 2017

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Since you used a 35mm on an APSC body you probably are used something like a 50mm FF FOV. Panasonic's 20mm 1.7, 25mm 1.7 and Olympus' 25mm 1.8 are great choices (and not too expensive). Not too sure how well Oly lenses work with Panasonic video AF.

If you want to spend a little more there is also the Panasonic 25mm 1.4. Or you could go for the Oly 12-40mm 2.8 or the Pana 12-32mm 2.8. Not as fast as the 1.8 lenses but they are insanely sharp and 12-40mm is a great range for video stuff.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

A new camera and lens will definitely improve your video quality and I am not discouraging you from spending lots of money, but the CFLs in that kit are reportedly quite lovely despite being described as "full spectrum". You want to find some bulbs with a high CRI value so skin tones don't end up looking so sickly. Here are some comparisons of the stock vs high CRI bulbs (preferably LEDs, not CFLs) using the same kit you have: http://imgur.com/a/Zw9nj

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 22, 2017

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I appreciate it, you guys! I'm hoping if I do this, I could get more than $300 for my D5100 + it's lens. But I guess you'd all know better than I would on that.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
My buddy wants to buy my Nikon D5100 + the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens I have with a few accessories. What would be a good price? Don't want to rip him off, want to be fair.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

My 80D arrived! Time to go take some awful pictures :)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

89 posted:

My buddy wants to buy my Nikon D5100 + the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens I have with a few accessories. What would be a good price? Don't want to rip him off, want to be fair.
Depending on condition $300 would probably be pretty fair.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

nmfree posted:

Depending on condition $300 would probably be pretty fair.

It also includes the 18-55 mm, 3.5f lens

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Behold my first DSLR picture lol

rio
Mar 20, 2008

You are now as good as anyone else here and don't need any help

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rio posted:

You are now as good as anyone else here and don't need any help

"As good?"

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Cat does not appear obese enough to cause concern for incipient renal failure. Are we sure the picture was taken by a goon and not leached from a functional pet owner?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

torgeaux posted:

"As good?"

Ok, better. I didn't want to blow his head up too much

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I got a little confused about the Panasonic GX85 and the G85. Didn't realize there was the difference of no mic input. Why would they not have that in the GX85? Annoying. It seems G7 is the perfect choice EXCEPT for the lack of IBIS. The video looks sooo much smoother on the G85, if I'm looking at the right videos. But, there's such a sizey price difference.

Ugh :(

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Popelmon posted:

Since you used a 35mm on an APSC body you probably are used something like a 50mm FF FOV. Panasonic's 20mm 1.7, 25mm 1.7 and Olympus' 25mm 1.8 are great choices (and not too expensive). Not too sure how well Oly lenses work with Panasonic video AF.

If you want to spend a little more there is also the Panasonic 25mm 1.4. Or you could go for the Oly 12-40mm 2.8 or the Pana 12-32mm 2.8. Not as fast as the 1.8 lenses but they are insanely sharp and 12-40mm is a great range for video stuff.

That is this lens, correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-L...1wAAOSw4A5Y0MMV

I wasn't sure I was quite ready to spend nearly the camera's cost in a lens, but this particular lens seems like a "do-it-all" for shooting video. I have been missing being able to zoom. The devil on my shoulder is whispering "buying that lens is like having two lens you want, but only having to carry around 1" :devil:

Recommendations for a shotgun mic? I'm seeing the Rode VideoMic Pro being thrown around ($200).

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

89 posted:

I got a little confused about the Panasonic GX85 and the G85. Didn't realize there was the difference of no mic input. Why would they not have that in the GX85? Annoying. It seems G7 is the perfect choice EXCEPT for the lack of IBIS. The video looks sooo much smoother on the G85, if I'm looking at the right videos. But, there's such a sizey price difference.

Ugh :(

The whole Panasonic G/Gx line is SUPER confusing but you won't get more for you money anywhere else. If you end up going with the 12-35mm you don't really need IBIS because that lens has IS build in. Would still be nice to have for other lenses or that sweet sweet dual IS. You might be able to find a really good deal on a used GH4 now that the GH5 is coming out. They are still ~800 bucks used where I live but you might get lucky, who knows.

Yes, that's the lens I meant, forgot it was 35mm.

I had some good experiences with the VideoMic.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Rode is good if you want to stick with 3.5mm headphone jacks and no need for phantom power.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Popelmon posted:

The whole Panasonic G/Gx line is SUPER confusing but you won't get more for you money anywhere else. If you end up going with the 12-35mm you don't really need IBIS because that lens has IS build in. Would still be nice to have for other lenses or that sweet sweet dual IS. You might be able to find a really good deal on a used GH4 now that the GH5 is coming out. They are still ~800 bucks used where I live but you might get lucky, who knows.

Yes, that's the lens I meant, forgot it was 35mm.

I had some good experiences with the VideoMic.

How does the GH4 compare to the G8? From the videos I've seen, seems like the G8 is better, but the GH4 does better low light

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

InFlames235 posted:

My 80D arrived! Time to go take some awful pictures :)

This was my first dslr, decent choice I upgraded kind of quickly to a 7100 because I wanted to waste the money from my bonus this year.

Edit: so now I take better pictures than I did beforehand because I upgraded my specs.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

This was my first dslr, decent choice I upgraded kind of quickly to a 7100 because I wanted to waste the money from my bonus this year.

Edit: so now I take better pictures than I did beforehand because I upgraded my specs.

An 80D is not the same thing as a D80.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

An 80D is not the same thing as a D80.

Gotta love the way they name camera models.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Well the Nikon D80 is 10 years older than the Canon 80D to be fair.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

Well the Nikon D80 is 10 years older than the Canon 80D to be fair.

Yeah I swear I double checked it twice before I made sure because yes the d80 and 80d are two totally different cameras, I still think the d89 was a great budget camera and the main reason I upgraded was because I had an itch to burn some cash.

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI

akadajet posted:

Gotta love the way they name camera models.

Australian camera retailer posted me a 600D when I ordered my D600. They switched it in-store no problems but I thought they might think I was conducting some sort of elaborate scam whereby I paid for and received a D600, and then bought a 600D somewhere else and tried to switch that for another D600 that I would profit from??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I used to shoot with a Sony A55 which had a movable screen that I really loved. That broke while I was living abroad and I ended up selling all my lenses and purchased a Sony RX100 MK I. I'm itching to get a new(used) camera but at this point I want something that's similar to the A55 but better than the RX100 in terms of quality. I'm open to brand but I would like a camera with more physical buttons than the RX100. Price range is probably under $400. Thoughts?

• Locked thread