Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Mecha Gojira posted:

I literally don't remember anything from the Mighty Joe Young remake except that I thought it was long?

Also, there was a ferris wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So I never read Into the Wild but the movie comes across as undeserved mythologizing of a dipshit prick who fancied himself a transcendentalist. I'm gonna double feature it with Grizzly Man.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

K. Waste posted:

Also, there was a ferris wheel.

There was? I mean, I remember the truck escape, I think. But only because I remember watching a lot of behind-the-scenes special effects shows on Discovery Channel and they had the torn in half model at the Walt Disney World MGM Studios Backlot Boneyard forever.

Oh, and gently caress yeah, A*P*E is on Youtube as well. Going to double feature tonight.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mecha Gojira posted:

I literally don't remember anything from the Mighty Joe Young remake except that I thought it was long?

I saw it in a theater. I think I liked it but I don't remember.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Didn't you double down on some racist term, and when called on it, say, "Eh, people around here say it?"

I mean, CP, you're creative (and you have an incredible eye for lighting), but ... c'mon, dude.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No? I asked why the term oriental was racist. I didn't know. I don't use it. Nor does anyone else I know.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why's Mighty Joe Young excluded?

It'd be unfair to all the others

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

FreudianSlippers posted:

I saw it in a theater. I think I liked it but I don't remember.

See, I saw it in theaters too.

I don't even remember if I liked it or not.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I saw Godzilla around the same time. I remember really liking that and also Jamiroquai's tie in song.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Coffee And Pie posted:

I never understood why large-breasted people were called "stacked." Like did they pile on the boobage?

I like that you said "people" as to not exclude large-breasted men

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Moobs are boobs too.

#MoobsRightsActivist

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Mr. Church is one of those movies that works only with Arzachel and post-rock playing, partially drowning out the dialogue

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I was late to the game with Night Mind, but what about Nightmare Masterclass ie poor man's Night Mind?
To compare and contrast here they both are covering the same topics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXQKMjEC8E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ1XuCSCRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHQhddiJ_EM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL06s3RLFqQ

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Mecha Gojira posted:

Oh, and gently caress yeah, A*P*E is on Youtube as well. Going to double feature tonight.

Now if only The Mighty Gorga were up somewhere and I wouldn't be tempted to blind buy the Something Weird DVD. Yesterday I could have banked on Konga being enough, but King Kong Lives was actually really good, so I'm questioning the salience of big monkey movies like never before.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why would anyone feel a need to explain Poppy?

Poppy just is.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why would anyone feel a need to explain Poppy?

Poppy just is.

She's Poppy

also to answer your question the answer is internet

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

glam rock hamhock posted:

Okay, I was late to the game with Night Mind, but what about Nightmare Masterclass ie poor man's Night Mind?
To compare and contrast here they both are covering the same topics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXQKMjEC8E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ1XuCSCRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHQhddiJ_EM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL06s3RLFqQ

I want to steal Nick Nocturne's voice

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

K. Waste posted:

Now if only The Mighty Gorga were up somewhere and I wouldn't be tempted to blind buy the Something Weird DVD. Yesterday I could have banked on Konga being enough, but King Kong Lives was actually really good, so I'm questioning the salience of big monkey movies like never before.

I'm just literally Homer Simpson, wiping tears from my eyes.

"He was just too big for a small world like ours." - the Final line of A*P*E

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Criminal Minded posted:

I like that you said "people" as to not exclude large-breasted men

I will admit it crossed my mind, but I meant it to be inclusive to non-cis (is there a word for that?) peeps

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Coffee And Pie posted:

non-cis (is there a word for that?)

trans

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Coffee And Pie posted:

non-cis (is there a word for that?)

It's like a contextual thing, but round here it's typically "dope"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Fat Lou posted:

You have no idea how far the bad beer label rabbit hole goes.

My favorite craft brews are Rape Brew, Don't Be Such a human being Ale, and I'm Only Hitting You Because You Never Shut Up And My Drinking Isn't the Problem with Berries.

CelticPredator posted:

No? I asked why the term oriental was racist. I didn't know. I don't use it. Nor does anyone else I know.

It's an old timey word that's not appropriate anymore. It's like if you said "colored" or "negro". Just say "Asian".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh yeah, I got an answer a while back. I was just replying to Timby.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

CPL593H posted:

Ah, the good old Oppression Olympics. I've noticed that lately Dave Chapelle has turned into "Old Man Yells at Cloud". Instead of complaning about whose civil rights battles are the most important maybe he should support everyone's civil rights battles. Especially since the oppressors tend be the same group of people in just about every case. And if he's also concerned about racism someone ought to let him know that black transwomen are most common victims of murder and violent crime out of all LGBTQ identifying people. I'm starting to wish he'd stayed retired so I could have fond memories of his comedy.

Unfortunately, this is the fate of most successful stand-up comedians who age. They spend a lot of time getting cheered at on stage (especially compared to when they were coming up), they get more money and job security, and they start to think their poo poo don't stink. The only stand-ups who don't get worse as they age tend to change their acts up enough that they don't get into a groove. Carlin and Pryor didn't fall into that trap as much, but guys like Seinfeld, Chapelle, Cosby, Eddie Murphy all got really lovely as they got older. The ones that don't either transition into acting or something else (Robin Williams, Steve Martin, Chris Rock), or die (Mitch Hedberg, Bill Hicks).

I thought Patton Oswalt might be kinda heading that way, but I think the last year of his life has definitely kicked him in the rear end. I'm seeing him film his next special in June and I'm very curious to see how it is.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Carlin's ranting towards the end was impossibly unfunny.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oswalt has gotten more smaltzy since he had a kid but he's still kind of too much of a ball of insecurity to really get too self righteous. I do worry about Louis CK, who is one of the few comedians to keep his edge even after having kids, but after awhile I wouldn't be surprised if all his being held up by people and the viral sharing of his "kids these days with their tech" stuff could easily lead to him going in an annoying direction.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Oswalt has gotten more smaltzy since he had a kid but he's still kind of too much of a ball of insecurity to really get too self righteous. I do worry about Louis CK, who is one of the few comedians to keep his edge even after having kids, but after awhile I wouldn't be surprised if all his being held up by people and the viral sharing of his "kids these days with their tech" stuff could easily lead to him going in an annoying direction.

This did not stop him from writing The Worst Wired Article Ever.

Also Louis CK is pretty much right on the border of "out of touch rear end in a top hat" now, and if it weren't for Louie I don't think he'd be nearly as well regarded. He's a pioneer in the "selling your own specials" department and Louie is real good, but his stand-up is not so much better than his peers. He's very good, but he's not on the same tier as guys like Pryor or Carlin.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

louis ck is a sex offender

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

corn in the bible posted:

What.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

i thought doug stanhope said this was him

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

CPL593H posted:

My favorite craft brews are Rape Brew, Don't Be Such a human being Ale, and I'm Only Hitting You Because You Never Shut Up And My Drinking Isn't the Problem with Berries.

The TTB would never approve of those labels. Just like it did not approve of this one for US sale...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
From what I can tell from when people were trying to get outraged by it, the Louis CK thing is pretty unsubstantiated and not just in a people on the web trying trying to themselves what they want to hear kind of way. I think it only still persists because it being denied and the original person just dropping it fits in with the original narrative that it was being suppressed because of CK's influence

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Carlin's ranting towards the end was impossibly unfunny.

I saw him on his last few tours and his act was considerably better on the road than in the HBO specials. The material that became Life is Worth Losing was incredibly dark, but he presented it in a much different way. There was a lot more riffing and improvisation. It's important to remember that in the last few years of life his struggles with drug addiction came back and he had some health issues that were plaguing him. I'd also imagine that his old age did nothing to help his mind set. His work became a lot more oriented towards death and body problems. Basically what I'm saying is that I give him a pass for his last few specials being kind of sucky.

Hat Thoughts posted:

i thought doug stanhope said this was him

Basically what happened here is that Jen Kirkman tweeted about a famous male comedian being a creep to her at some event or another but she didn't name names and everyone assumed it was CK. I believe she didn't confirm or deny but then later she did talk about an incident with him around the time he got divorced where his life was hosed up and he got drunk and made a very inappropriate pass at her. When he got his poo poo together they had a talk about it and he apologized.

At least this is what I'd heard.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

I will admit it crossed my mind, but I meant it to be inclusive to non-cis (is there a word for that?) peeps

This is a gold gen chat moment imo

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

DC Murderverse posted:

Unfortunately, this is the fate of most successful stand-up comedians who age. They spend a lot of time getting cheered at on stage (especially compared to when they were coming up), they get more money and job security, and they start to think their poo poo don't stink. The only stand-ups who don't get worse as they age tend to change their acts up enough that they don't get into a groove. Carlin and Pryor didn't fall into that trap as much, but guys like Seinfeld, Chapelle, Cosby, Eddie Murphy all got really lovely as they got older. The ones that don't either transition into acting or something else (Robin Williams, Steve Martin, Chris Rock), or die (Mitch Hedberg, Bill Hicks).

I thought Patton Oswalt might be kinda heading that way, but I think the last year of his life has definitely kicked him in the rear end. I'm seeing him film his next special in June and I'm very curious to see how it is.

Gallagher's an interesting case study in that this totally applies to him while his bitterness about not being more successful is like the only non-hate emotion he's shown in probably my entire lifetime.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Timby posted:

Didn't you double down on some racist term, and when called on it, say, "Eh, people around here say it?"

I mean, CP, you're creative (and you have an incredible eye for lighting), but ... c'mon, dude.

No he doubled down on his use of "retarded" as an insult.
He defends his racist friends because they're nice to him.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I've never cared about the Fast and Furious films, but I'm down for everything that Fate of the Furious promises.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeKBMdYaM3U
:allears:

Also Logan was pretty alright, I don't quite get the hype but it had some cute ideas.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So if a married woman "jokingly" flirts with you, sends you nearly naked pics and then says her marriage is going down the tubes, that's the thing it obviously is, right?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Apropos of nothing, I noticed recently the majority of murders from true crime shows involve jilted lovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

DC Murderverse posted:

Also Louis CK is pretty much right on the border of "out of touch rear end in a top hat" now, and if it weren't for Louie I don't think he'd be nearly as well regarded.

I can't stand Louis CK as a comedian. He's perfectly affable as an actor though.

Lurdiak posted:

So if a married woman "jokingly" flirts with you, sends you nearly naked pics and then says her marriage is going down the tubes, that's the thing it obviously is, right?

There's no good ending to this.

• Locked thread