Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
06+ is a completely different generation (NC) and the parts won't be compatible.

If you are looking for a cheap and reliable daily driver I recommend finding an NC1 (06-08) as the non-PRHTs have gotten very cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

ewiley posted:

What sort of mileage will these things do and what needs to be critically cared for at high mileage? What stuff will make me weep or should be done proactively?
Honestly? Nothing really. As long as the compression is good and it's not leaking or burning a ton of oil, there aren't really any common catastrophic repairs. The worst you'll have to deal with on a car with 160k is regular maintenance stuff like timing belt, plugs and wires, maybe accessory belts, and possibly dumb poo poo like a hose for your washer fluid dryrotting - just small things. Depending on how well the PO took care of it, it would probably be benefited by some suspension work and probably an alignment. But that's the same as any car, and you could get by without it if you felt like it. The only "problem" I've ever had with my '90 was when the slave cylinder went out while driving (not uncommon for those years), but I always keep fluids in my trunk so I just bled the clutch and replaced it when I got home. Miatas do rattle a bit, but there's not much you can do about that.

Mileage wise, uh, you might start having to look at big ticket items around 200k-300k? These things are tanks and will pretty much run forever (unless you're clinically retarded like me and blow a motor by running it with no oil). I'd make 1600 mile round-trip drives 3 or 4 times a year. Mine has 180k miles on it and runs (ran) like a champ, other than burning a little oil.

edit: and yeah, 06-08 prices have completely tanked since the release of the new gen. In my area, you can find a decent NC for $5000-$6000 if you spend some time waiting for a deal. Comparatively, an NA with lowish miles (~<140k), clean exterior, and hardtop, goes for around $4000-$4500.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 20, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I had to get a new battery for the Miata this year, old one was only two years old. Tested bad at Autozone but the guy said to look for a drain somewhere. Alternator tested good. Then I remembered something that stuck in my head when I was in the garage one day. This loving thing is on all the goddamned time.

It turns off when you turn the key and stays off when you shut the car off but turns back on when you open the door again.

Thoughts? If a maplight can drain a battery over the course of two days I figure this could do it over the span of a few months.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I think that is the "security system armed" light, I will check tonight to see if mine stays on or not.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Two years seems about right for a battery for me, but I live five feet from the sun.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

IOwnCalculus posted:

Two years seems about right for a battery for me, but I live five feet from the sun.

My car goes through batteries because I don't drive it when it's cold or rainy out, and it's been one or the other for a long time. I need to get better with putting the trickle charger on it, maybe I should get a timer.

PROLE ART THREAT
Sep 10, 2003

Nocheez posted:

She's getting a bath this weekend, inside and out. And then I'm going to do schedule some maintenance which includes my first ever timing belt job. Wish me luck, and let me know if anyone has a nice condition black armrest cover. Mine is OK, but the latch is hosed up.

Just did this a couple months ago, followed the link posted by iowncalculus and this video as a primer:

https://youtu.be/HKHv5_d1a6I

Also anyone install a megasquirt on a stock mazdaspeed miata? I pulled the tps sensor to test the terrible ecu and now I want to just bypass it altogether. I am in the bay area if anyone knows a good tuner/dyno too

PROLE ART THREAT fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 24, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You're gonna get hosed when you have to go through emissions if you're in California.

Teen heart throb and Professional Miata Toucher Savington is over in Sunnyvale at Trackspeed Engineering.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Anyone with an NB have a "Streamline" top from Robbins, like this: http://www.mossmiata.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=78163 ?

How's it working for you?

It's $100 cheaper than OE style top, but same fabrics.

Reviews on miata.net are mixed, but old (I think Robbins had some troubles with adhesives a few years ago.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
One on :siren:my girlfriends:siren: NB failed at the window seam after less than 2 years. Cant say this will happen to you, but if i buy another softtop again im gonna spend a little more.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Mine was great for 4 years untill I went full-time hardtop and sold it. Looked better than stock too.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

PROLE ART THREAT posted:

Just did this a couple months ago, followed the link posted by iowncalculus and this video as a primer:

https://youtu.be/HKHv5_d1a6I

Also anyone install a megasquirt on a stock mazdaspeed miata? I pulled the tps sensor to test the terrible ecu and now I want to just bypass it altogether. I am in the bay area if anyone knows a good tuner/dyno too

Standalone engine management is not a fix for broken stuff. I also don't think you can get accel/decel enrichment working without TPS signals. Unless you mean to have a standalone to get rid of the sock ECU? THe MS PnP seems pretty nice and gives you plenty of ability and doesn't require a new wiring harness. Plus you can just put the ECU and MAF back in for smog and you're good to go.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

TurboDrizzle posted:

One on :siren:my girlfriends:siren: NB failed at the window seam after less than 2 years. Cant say this will happen to you, but if i buy another softtop again im gonna spend a little more.

Thanks all for the replies!

When did your girlfriend get the top? Seems like Robbins had some adhesive issues for a while.

I was wondering if the Streamlines had problems opening and closing.

If I get any top I'm going to explore options on reinforcing the window from the get go, ala iron-on fabric or something.

Not sure where to spend more? Probably won't be able to at this time anyway.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That was years and years ago, something like 2012. So if they had issues that were fixed its good news.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The vinyl top on my NB is still in pretty good condition, and it's the one I got from the PO over 4 years ago so it's got to be even older than that. Pretty happy I didn't have to deal with this poo poo so far.

TurboDrizzle posted:

Glad there's a ring, good attention to detail.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 25, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I mess my window up by zipping it up with the top latched. Poor miata. Oh well the next suckers problem now.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

How are the stock seats in the ND? Do they actually have decent bolstering?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Not really. They have a little more bolstering than NA seats. The cloth ones let you sink in a little so it's not too bad, but the leather ones will have you feeling like you're "on" the seat instead of "in" it.

Elephanthead posted:

I mess my window up by zipping it up with the top latched. Poor miata. Oh well the next suckers problem now.

I used to just leave the zipper on all the time and just let the window fold in half. Also, unlike with the seats, the ND top is huge improvement. The only thing I miss is a proper shelf where I can put stuff while the top is up.

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 25, 2017

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yeah the ND cloth seats feel almost exactly like my NAs did. That being said I can do 5 hour trips in them no problem at six foot American sized

Haven't attempted longer than that but if I can do five I can probably do eight

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Does anyone want a 303 fabric cleaning and care kit? It has the cleaner and water repellant. I never used it on my NC before I sold it. Just pay shipping.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'm hoping the USA ND gets the Recaros they get in Europe soon...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

How are you supposed to reach that cup holder

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You reach over? Its less akward than it looks. (Was just in a friends ND today). Its really more useful for transporting drinks home than eating in the car.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

you can also (lol) relocate one of them to the passenger area if you don't have a passenger

also there's a hidden secret compartment behind each of the seats if you flip them forward

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Today has been the first real spring day in Norway, with temps soaring above 16C, so I spent most of the afternoon driving the 10AE around with the top down.

I'm at a loss for words to describe how nice these cars are to drive, especially on windy roads.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just left the autocross, and I posted an OK time (I'm basically the Mclaren honda of south Florida autocross. Bad, but not as bad as the last placed sauber***1). Looking back and my videos I'm getting on and off the gas as if it's a dodge viper or something, I have pretty much no rear grip when i push the thottle if the car is at all unsettled.

Is the solution "disconnect the sway bar, idiot?" like a few people are telling me? I paid money for that sway bar and don't really want to pitch it. Either i'll do that or spring for better tires. Videos are coming tomorrow sometime.

(***1 Don't spoil todays f1 result I haven't watched yet)

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 26, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What class/setup?

If you're on an aftermarket suspension (coils, lowered significantly), and you have your big ol' 11mm stock rear sway bar attached, you're going to have a really bad time. You need that droop travel.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
STR 205/50/15 Direzza DZ102 FM Vmaxx Classic FM sway bars front and rear. With my poo poo tires i do think removing the bar would not have been a bad move, i had so little rear grip.

I need some 245/45/15 RE71, honestly. I need to find a way to tuck that under the stock fenders.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nah you need to toss that rear sway bar in the trash post haste first; 5/8"/16mm iirc. The biggest rear sway bar you'll ever need is the 14mm Mazdaspeeed one.

Secondly, disconnect it. People aren't loving with you for the most part when they say "oh you can't keep it straight? Disconnect it." You're out literally 10 minutes of time and maybe getting your knuckles a bit bloody trying to get leverage on it. In terms of autocross time efficiency, it's pretty high because a setup change like that which will make your runs matter because you don't have to worry about your car trying to turn you around every single time your touch the wheel and dare to brush the gas at the same time.

You don't need 245s. You're never going to fit them under the fenders. You're also not going to be able to use them because they don't exist. Your wheel width determines your tire size. If you're on an 8" wheel, 205s and 225s are the same. If you're running 9s, grab a 225. Don't think about 245s because there's only the Hankook RS4 and Maxxis RC1. If you do wind up on RE-71Rs, they better be on a second set of wheels because they wear ridiculously fast.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwktuaDLayE

Here is the video. The first two runs are slow rear end recon runs, despite me losing it pretty badly in the first run and nearly eating it into a curb. skip to 3:47 on the video if you're in a rush, that was my fastest time of the day.

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 27, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Coast city.

Where'd you place in class? Also, full list of what you have on the car?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Is fitting 245's hard on NA's? NB's it should be just a roll, maybe a slight pull. I'll let you know in a few months :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You need to chop bodywork.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Well I hopefully get my ND back this week after it's been in the shop. I hope it drives good. and sounds the same

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Phone posted:

Coast city.

Where'd you place in class?

Funny you should ask, the slowest placed time in STR, in fact! :downs: I was in the 46s range on 2 runs but i was being very aggressive and hit cones. thats the (1) icon by the time. I think my lines were good, like you said "coast city" becuase any time i breathed on the gas it spun up the rears and slid.

quote:

T 1 197 Darrin DiSimo 2016 Mazda Miata
42.517 42.350 43.822(1) 43.646(1) 41.663 41.663

T 2 120 Erik Cardenas 2016 Mazda Mx-5 Miata
46.570(1) 45.403 43.171 43.033 43.306 43.033
(1.370)
T 3 187 Andrew Borja 2003 honda s2000
46.059 45.481 44.204 43.958 43.687 43.687
(0.654)
T 4 81 Raul Iriarte 2009 Mazda Miata
44.556 45.849 48.346(1) 44.391 44.068 44.068
(0.381)
5 69 Kristian Novev 2002 Honda S2000
46.024 45.387 44.992 44.209 51.765(3) 44.209
(0.141)
6 8 Christian Girard 2009 Mazda Miata
44.632 48.091(1) 44.627 44.665 44.863 44.627
(0.418)
7 338 Mike Granobles 2003 Honda S2k
45.886 45.389 44.893 46.733(1) 44.636 44.636
(0.009)
8 67 Carlos Gajardo 1999 Mazda Miata
DNF 49.018 49.198 45.199 48.847 45.199
(0.563)
9 345 Aimee Morfa 2002 Mazda Miata
51.817 48.662 48.295 48.277(1) 46.207 46.207
(1.008)
10 117 Harrison Suarez 2006 Honda s2000
51.194 48.426 47.840 47.143 53.368 47.143
(0.936)
11 72 Forums User TurboDrizzle 1996 Mazda Miata
DNF 50.655(1) 48.969(1) 47.376 47.976 47.376
(0.233)

12 1122 Adrian Rodriguez 1997 Mazda Miata
DNF DNF DNF DNF DNF No Time
(9951.624)

Phone posted:

Also, full list of what you have on the car?

1996 1.8, 15X8 +25 205/50/15 Dunlop Direzza DZ102 (a daily driving summer tire, hard as plastic) Axis OG-San, Flyin Miata Vmaxx coilovers and Front and Rear sway bars, R package tie rod ends, all new top hats, underflooor braces, HDHCSD Roll bar, Sparco Sprint seat, GoodWinRacing Roadstersport 3 mid pipe and exhaust, a swapped-in Type II 4.3 Torsen and some mild weight reduction all around. (little poo poo like everything in the trunk, no center console).

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 27, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
LOL, and here I'm still wondering (in advance) about 225 vs 245 Hoosiers on 15x8s (class requires no more than 8" wide wheels) for the race NA project. Oh well.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

You need to chop bodywork.

Sounds like more Nb supremacy. Looks like NB's just need a flat roll.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I'm looking to replace the torn up leather seats in my NB. I'd like to get something with way more bolstering. I use the car for daily driving and autocross.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I love the look of Brides of course but I'd rather not spend 2 grand on seats.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

TurboDrizzle posted:

Funny you should ask, the slowest placed time in STR, in fact! :downs: I was in the 46s range on 2 runs but i was being very aggressive and hit cones. thats the (1) icon by the time. I think my lines were good, like you said "coast city" becuase any time i breathed on the gas it spun up the rears and slid.

1996 1.8, 15X8 +25 205/50/15 Dunlop Direzza DZ102 (a daily driving summer tire, hard as plastic) Axis OG-San, Flyin Miata Vmaxx coilovers and Front and Rear sway bars, R package tie rod ends, all new top hats, underflooor braces, HDHCSD Roll bar, Sparco Sprint seat, GoodWinRacing Roadstersport 3 mid pipe and exhaust, a swapped-in Type II 4.3 Torsen and some mild weight reduction all around. (little poo poo like everything in the trunk, no center console).
None of those mods are anywhere near what you'd want to be competitive in any class the Miata runs decently in. The cheap ticket is tossing your swaybars in the trash and buying the NA tubular RB bar & RE71s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'll take that advice. Until late last year it was just my fun daily driver (for the last 5 years) and it now graduated to full time race car. Any resources on STR-Prepping a NA would be helpful. :)