Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I have grown to hate the Hercules episodes. They aren't very funny, and they legitimately put me to sleep as well. I don't know why they put up Vs. the Moon Men when there are so many better episodes Netflix could have chosen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Slowly making my way through the Netflix collection. For some reason, the Hercules movies put me to sleep, and Vs the Moon Men was especially bad. The riffs are funny and I still love the interspersed bits throughout, but they're just ponderous. The 10 minute sandstorm scene at the end didn't help at all. :shrug:

They don't call it Deep Hurting for being a spa treatment.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

OldSenileGuy posted:

I can't remember - did the original Mads ever actually refer to their scheme as "Mystery Science Theater 3000"?

Joel did at least once.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In that case, I am so drat excited for Star Crash

Well, there is a clip from that movie at 32 seconds in, and when I saw it I could not have been more excited for the new episodes.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Slowly making my way through the Netflix collection. For some reason, the Hercules movies put me to sleep, and Vs the Moon Men was especially bad. The riffs are funny and I still love the interspersed bits throughout, but they're just ponderous. The 10 minute sandstorm scene at the end didn't help at all. :shrug:
They put Hercules to sleep too.

Pretty sure that's a plot point in at least two of those movies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

Yup.

I just showed my girlfriend the Samson vs. The Vampire Women episode today (since it's on that landmark episodes list I'm working on). I made sure not to explain anything about Samson beforehand so that by the time he showed up unannounced, halfway into the movie, it blew her mind.

#GO EL SANTO #
#GO EL SANTO #
#GO GO!#

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Fezz posted:

They put Hercules to sleep too.

Pretty sure that's a plot point in at least two of those movies.

It comes up so often that one of the movies subverts it by having him only pretend to drink the wine for once.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Man, I can't believe it. The Herc films are great, especially Unchained

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Going in on this topic, what's everyone list of hardest MST3K episodes to get through? Aside from the very early stuff where you could argue the show was finding it's footing, I've ever watched the KTMA stuff for that reason.

-Hamlet: It's just deadly boring. There are some great riffs but the film's biggest problem is that it's so dire and boring that they have no way to work with it.
-Starfighters: Same as above, just a boring as hell movie that has literally nothing happen in it.
-Wild World of Batwoman: While not as boring it's also soul crushingly unfunny and so bad the riffs can't even come close to saving it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I fall asleep every time I try to watch Sidehackers.

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust

OldTennisCourt posted:

Going in on this topic, what's everyone list of hardest MST3K episodes to get through? Aside from the very early stuff where you could argue the show was finding it's footing, I've ever watched the KTMA stuff for that reason.

-Hamlet: It's just deadly boring. There are some great riffs but the film's biggest problem is that it's so dire and boring that they have no way to work with it.
-Starfighters: Same as above, just a boring as hell movie that has literally nothing happen in it.
-Wild World of Batwoman: While not as boring it's also soul crushingly unfunny and so bad the riffs can't even come close to saving it.

Red Zone Cuba. I'm still amazed they thought they could get an episode out of it

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Pleasing Shape posted:

Red Zone Cuba. I'm still amazed they thought they could get an episode out of it

Red Zone Cuba is at least watchable due to how insane the movie gets. Like, it just doesn't stop being the most miserable movie ever made. The dropping the dude down the well scene is so out of nowhere mean spirited that it's absolutely hysterical

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

OldTennisCourt posted:

Red Zone Cuba is at least watchable due to how insane the movie gets. Like, it just doesn't stop being the most miserable movie ever made. The dropping the dude down the well scene is so out of nowhere mean spirited that it's absolutely hysterical

It gets worse in the the uncut version because they go back and sexually assault his blind daughter.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Gavok posted:

I just showed my girlfriend the Samson vs. The Vampire Women episode today (since it's on that landmark episodes list I'm working on). I made sure not to explain anything about Samson beforehand so that by the time he showed up unannounced, halfway into the movie, it blew her mind.

"I'll just phone one of my many wrestling acquaintences." :v:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Beast of Yucca Flats for me, hands down.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"I'll just phone one of my many wrestling acquaintences." :v:

Well, wouldn't you?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I can't get through Invasion of the Neptune Men. gently caress you Space Chief!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
1. OP updated so you can watch the trailer whenever!
2. Holy poo poo do I love Kinga's Robot Monster henchmen.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
That trailer really put some of the doubts I had to rest, it seems like they really did keep the tone of the old episodes. And the effects were cheap enough.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It took me at least three attempts to make it through Red Zone Cuba without falling asleep. Nothing else even compares.

New trailer's good. Anyone know what the other movies are?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I get that they're horrible movies, but I've always loved Red Zone Cuba, it's one of my favorite episodes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That trailer looks so good. It is chock full of cheap goofiness, intentionally over-extending what it can do with its homemade effects. It just looks like everyone is having such fun with it! The fake "Oh help us!" from the Mads makes it seem like they've got chemistry together, and I am more and more convinced Felicia Day was the perfect choice for the kind of joyful, campy, hammy, bigness we need from that role. The movies look funny bad, like the kind o thing you'd get together and riff on with friends, and not unwatchably bad.

I like the idea that it's a moonbase, I love the Pearl-like look of Rebecca Hanson as the third Mad, the weird skull guys, Hampton Yount's Crow voice, Crow saying "You're not my real father, Pal!" Jonah's getting dumped in the theater from the ceiling, Tom and Crow are trying to bypass the 60s nudity censorship, everything is happening at a manic pace, wheeee!!

I wish we could have seen a couple of riffs, some of Gypsy, and for some reason I desperately need to hear the new theme song lyrics, but hey, that's what building excitement is like, I guess. They've got me. I want more!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

OldTennisCourt posted:

Most Season 1 episodes probably qualify because of the weaker/sparser riffs, but I'm lenient with them because I never saw or even knew about them until after the show ended, and they're just generally interesting to me. That said, everything before, say, The Crawling Hand is particularly bad.

Ring of Terror is one of my favorite episodes, but the strange decision to put the short after the film, as well as the serials just generally being the least interesting shorts, makes me not want to finish it.

I've always felt Cave Dwellers is a dull slog of an episode, and I've never understood why it's such a fan favorite. I tend to feel this way about most episodes where the film is just hard to follow for whatever reason.

And, yeah, Hamlet was maybe a bad episode on a conceptual level. And there just weren't a whole lot of laughs to be wrung out of a dull TV performance of Hamlet.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Castle of Fu Manchu is the worst episode I've watched. I actually enjoyed Starfighters a lot! The refueling scenes are absurd.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Breadallelogram posted:

Castle of Fu Manchu is the worst episode I've watched. I actually enjoyed Starfighters a lot! The refueling scenes are absurd.

I learned everything i know about corn detasseling from that movie.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I have never finished Prince of Space. It's paced like a funeral dirge and Mike comes across as uncomfortably creepy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
was it prince of space or the Neptune men where the cast was enraged at the movie's inclusion of WW2 bombing footage for like no reason at all

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HungryMedusa posted:

I can't get through Invasion of the Neptune Men. gently caress you Space Chief!

space chief was one of sonny chiba's first roles so you can add him to the mst3k celebs spotting list at least

Raskolnikov38 posted:

was it prince of space or the Neptune men where the cast was enraged at the movie's inclusion of WW2 bombing footage for like no reason at all

neptune men. prince of space is at least sort of watchable for the first half because of the insane translations

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

It's easy to tell them apart when you remember that the chicken villain from Prince of Space shows up during Neptune Men to try and cheer up the cast during the much worse movie. Also, the Hitler Building is in Neptune Men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsYYnwhn4g4

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hercules vs. the Moon Men contains the one riff over the years that gave me a wheezing fit: when all the not-Romans run on screen and Joel and the bots start going "pizza pizza pizza pizza pizza" really fast.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Watched Outlaw (of Gor) tonight. That movie is 80% buffalo shots and CABOT!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Cabot!?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I think his name might be Cabot!

I've tried watching Castle of Fu Manchu a couple of times and it puts me to sleep every time.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As I think I've mentioned in these threads many a time, I think I've only made it the whole way through Manos all of about once.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

So, "Cabot," then?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Breadallelogram posted:

Castle of Fu Manchu is the worst episode I've watched.

I take back what I said about RZC: my brain just wants to deny this one exists FOR SOME REASON. On the other hand, I got through it in one sitting and now I never have to look at it again.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

2DCAT posted:

I learned everything i know about corn detasseling from that movie.

I live in Iowa which may have added to my enjoyment of Starfighters.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Wasn't the major issue with Ring of Terror that the film was absurdly short and that's why they had to cram in a second short at the end to pump up the running time?

It's weird they put it at the end since there was a previous episode with a super short movie where they just had two shorts back to back at the start.

Are Neptune Men and Prince of Space related to each other, like as a sequel or whatever, or are they just weird semi-remakes of each other? They're like the same drat movie.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 23, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

OldTennisCourt posted:

Wasn't the major issue with Ring of Terror that the film was absurdly short and that's why they had to cram in a second short at the end to pump up the running time?

It's weird they put it at the end since there was a previous episode with a super short movie where they just had two shorts back to back at the start.

Ring of Terror had only one short, though. They just decided to put the short after the film for some reason, that one time.

Besides the Season 1 episodes where they doubled up on Commando Cody, the only episodes with two shorts were Teenage Caveman, The Unearthly, and The Beast of Yucca Flats.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 23, 2017

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Gavok posted:

Yup.

I feel shorta silly right now, am I over dressed?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So does the presence of Reptilicus confirm the rest of that IMDB list? Anyone recognize any of the other brief clips in the trailer?

Clips were from a public domain movie called The Time Travelers. I think its in the public domain. Shouldn't be hard to find. Weirdly seen it about a week before the trailer dropped watching a bunch of old scifi movie on amazon prime so I recognized it right away.