Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

rannum posted:

You can tell the people behind this cared about emulating the official style because it's a spider with 6 legs.

:catstare:
All the Pokemon spiders have six legs! How have I never noticed this before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

YggiDee posted:

:catstare:
All the Pokemon spiders have six legs! How have I never noticed this before.

Well double checking, Ariados & Galvantula are debatable on if the legs on the back/the "feelers" on the front are legs, I guess. And Joltik doesnt but its more a tic than a spider.

Dewpider's 6 legs are great because I didn't realize it had 6 until seeing the bubble was held in place by them, just like real diving bell spiders.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

They're definitely supposed to have six legs since most (all?) insect pokemon have four legs.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Raitzeno posted:

Knotreally.

So that'd have to be some kind of rope pokemon where the actual pokemon isn't the rope and it's clearly not whatever type it looks like.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

While eight legs would be more correct, they probably make the designs of the various spider Pokemon a bit cluttered, whereas six legs work just right. And less to draw/render, which is always a plus.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Six Legs of Justice.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
ranchos

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also, while Uranium is very bad, keep in mind, the quality of the Pokemon Fan Game community means.

It is not alone.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Crosspeice posted:

While eight legs would be more correct, they probably make the designs of the various spider Pokemon a bit cluttered, whereas six legs work just right. And less to draw/render, which is always a plus.

I was gonna try to make a joke here about Galvantula's model but

Why does it do that when it has a human animation?

At least Ariados knows what the heck it's supposed to be doing.

Spinarak tries goddammit.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

3d models are the best thing it could happen to the mainline pokemon games :allears:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Now try it with a Scolipede :unsmigghh:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bloody Pom posted:

Now try it with a Scolipede :unsmigghh:

And Araquanaut, the truck-sized water spider. :haw:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I was gonna try to make a joke here about Galvantula's model but

Are they... trying to get down? (dokudokudokudokuro)

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
One of Pokemon Sage's Legendaries is named Quetzar. While that name is short and sweet, I feel like they missed out on something great by not naming it Quasarcoatl.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

One of Pokemon Sage's Legendaries is named Quetzar. While that name is short and sweet, I feel like they missed out on something great by not naming it Quasarcoatl.

a bit too on the nose imo. it's pretty obvious where the name is from as it is

also heres my favorite

quote:

Despite lacking thumbs, its dexterity is superior to humans'. Wild Howlequin often taunt trainers by juggling the balls that were too weak to catch it.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
I've been wondering if I should mention another Pokemon fangame or not here for the last... 50 pages and decided "gently caress it". So keep in mind it's a community designed game so a lot of designs are pretty hit-or-miss and were kept to the general designs that the people created instead of editing and re-editing to make them better, but a fair few of them are pretty neat. The demo available is about 5 hours long (3-4th gym iirc). Pokemon RMN version. It's not the best Pokemon fan game out there (it's got some pretty silly story parts and some issues) but it's head and shoulders over what we've seen so far from Uranium and it's pretty solid.

My favourite Pokemon from it have to be these four:

And yes, there's a wiki with all the stats and skills and such. (The wiki doesn't have all the updated sprites if that's what you want to see.)

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2017

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Some of those are really hit-or-miss, and some of them completely miss the Pokemon aesthetic, but there are some real winners there that I could see in an actual Pokemon game.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Isn't this a Mega Man Battle Network enemy?

(It isn't. But it could be one.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if nothing else it's hard not to do things better than uranium

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Johnny Joestar posted:

True. I tried the game out not long after the C&D and, uh, I picked the grass starter. Things didn't go well for me. At least I got through the demo of the RMN version just fine (and had fun doing so). I think the thing that annoyed me the most about Uranium is that it felt devoid of heart. I mean, fan games? You'd expect there to be some passion or feeling like the person creating it was having fun doing so, but Uranium felt really stale to me. It just wasn't fun.

(Using RMXP didn't help. That engine feels so awkward in comparison to the rest of the RM series. I mean, the RMN version uses it too, but at least it feels like fun was had in the creating of the game, so it didn't feel so bad? Not sure if that makes sense.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Johnny Joestar posted:

Johnny, don't say poo poo like that I can PROVABLY prove you wrong. You don't want to know how deep that rabbit hole goes.

Also more Sage stuff from this Sunday

Designing the villains base, that's one of the Legendaries there, attempting to represent the Space Age

Sage Design Notes posted:

Each member of the trio is (at least visually) a synthetic, inorganic Pokémon, and is themed after an age of man: Eronze is the Bronze Age, Erion the Industrial Age, and Erace the Space Age. Each member also has a different number of eyes, ranging from 1 to 3, in accordance with the sequence of the ages they are based on, which are located inside an orifice or orifice-like structure on each. Each member of the trio also has similar proportions and body layouts: no distinct head, large upper body and arms, and a small lower body. Lastly, each member of the trio has their elemental affinity shown on or above their backs in their sprites: Eronze has a flame, Erion has clouds of smog, and Erace has electric arcs.

All three golems share the same primary type: Steel. Each of their secondary types is weak to Ground, making the entire trio doubly weak to Ground moves (as Steel is also weak to Ground). This was an intentional design choice, meant to symbolize how humankind is still at the mercy of the Earth, both in terms of the impermanence of our structures and as living things.

Actual thought put in to why the Legendaries are the way they are.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So, is there a villain team in this game? I feel like we should have at least heard of them by now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like how they worked the typing into their overall man-v-nature metaphor.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Alacron posted:

So, is there a villain team in this game? I feel like we should have at least heard of them by now.

Well, you'll see: I have no doubt that OFS has some very particular things to say about the topic when it comes up.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

Johnny, don't say poo poo like that I can PROVABLY prove you wrong. You don't want to know how deep that rabbit hole goes.

they didn't say anything wrong, ya nerd. just because people do it worse a lot does not mean it's hard to do it better, it just means people are idiots

CoffeeAvenger
Nov 3, 2016

GeneX posted:

Well, you'll see: I have no doubt that OFS has some very particular things to say about the topic when it comes up.

Probably going to be some HARDCORE name like Team Meltdown or some poo poo. Something to do with using Nuclear pokemon to rule/destroy the world?

At least, that's the most obvious answer.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CoffeeAvenger posted:

Probably going to be some HARDCORE name like Team Meltdown or some poo poo. Something to do with using Nuclear pokemon to rule/destroy the world?

At least, that's the most obvious answer.

That's still probably better than inflating the Sun to somehow power up Electric-type Pokemon, to be honest.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Sorry, but no matter what Team Isotope* do, it can never be as amazing as that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Given how much this game has changed things up from the norm (having a father, tying it in with sidegames, two stage Starters, etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to omit evil teams entirely.

It seems more like they have some kind of narrative in mind involving your mother or something given the return to the nuclear plant.

Also, we're on Badge #4 now and they haven't shown up or been hinted at. Normally the villains are around by Badge #2.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
a game without an evil team would actually be refreshing for real pokemon, course they'd do something better then replace it with evil pokemon

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Blaze Dragon posted:

That's still probably better than inflating the Sun to somehow power up Electric-type Pokemon, to be honest.

I'm sorry what?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
In all seriousness, I'm fully expecting Garlikid being a bad N ripoff to be related to whatever's going on with the Evil Team Crew or their equivalents. When he inevitably turns up again, I think that'll probably help give some idea. Probably just a bad rehash of Plasma in all honesty, and maybe with added blaming of the nuclear plant for "corrupting" nature or whatever.

Kurieg posted:

I'm sorry what?

Quartz.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

a game without an evil team would actually be refreshing for real pokemon, course they'd do something better then replace it with evil pokemon

Su/Mo kind of went in this direction already, what with Team Skull just being some no-good delinquents and the Aether Foundation being largely good outside of its crazy leader.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

a game without an evil team would actually be refreshing for real pokemon

Though, evil teams are good for money and experience, two things Uranium is noticeably lacking. As a game design conceit that's absent from Uranium (spoiler: uranium has no evil team) it's really obvious they didn't account for what removing them would do to the player's exp/money income.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Su/Mo kind of went in this direction already, what with Team Skull just being some no-good delinquents and the Aether Foundation being largely good outside of its crazy leader.

yeah kinda, tho team skull literally took over a town and that's a bit more then just being some delinquents imo

Though, evil teams are good for money and experience, two things Uranium is noticeably lacking. As a game design conceit that's absent from Uranium (spoiler: uranium has no evil team) it's really obvious they didn't account for what removing them would do to the player's exp/money income.

oh yes, i don't think it's a good idea for a fan-game with already large game design issues to try to do

game freak might actually be able to balance it properly

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yeah kinda, tho team skull literally took over a town and that's a bit more then just being some delinquents imo

"I've been rejected by society and have no self-esteem or other options, yo" -- avg team skull member

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dont doxx me

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Too late, your Fomantis has picked up your bad habits & attitude.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

YEAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

I kind of want to see Mega Charizard X or Mega Garchomp something similarly edgy looking doing this.

• Locked thread