Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Dude this is literally all you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
I think he was joking by interpreting 'essay' as literally 'an essay for school' and referencing the fact that Poland is so hosed that such an essay would've been way too long for you to ask someone else to do it.
:goonsay:

i.e.

Baronjutter posted:

Catholicism + Nationalism + Historical Trauma + Lack of Regard for Fundamental Rights due to the Constitution Having Been Written Barely 20 Years Ago by a Commie + 90s Mass Selling of National Assets to Western Companies Now Conflated with the EU + Disillusionment with Failing Neoliberal Policies + The Entirety of the Left Being Branded Communists + Mass Emigration + ...
edit - Also, what's the latest on the Romanian situation? The last BBC reports are from around mid-February, but they mention continued protests and a failed no-confidence vote.

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 10, 2017

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So has anyone here seen the news about Paul Manaforts daughters text messages getting hacked and leaked? She implicated her father in the killings of protestors during the Euromaidan.

"You know he has killed people in Ukraine? Knowingly," Andrea Manafort allegedly wrote of her father in March 2015 in an angry series of texts to her sister, Jessica, about her father's personal and professional life.

Check it out
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/10/politics/ukraine-manafort-hacked-texts/index.html

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

So has anyone here seen the news about Paul Manaforts daughters text messages getting hacked and leaked? She implicated her father in the killings of protestors during the Euromaidan.

"You know he has killed people in Ukraine? Knowingly," Andrea Manafort allegedly wrote of her father in March 2015 in an angry series of texts to her sister, Jessica, about her father's personal and professional life.

Check it out
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/10/politics/ukraine-manafort-hacked-texts/index.html

We know from last fall right before he stopped working for Trump's campaign Manafort had a hand in Crimea being taken over by Russia, so this doesn't surprise me.

What I find troubling is the latest news on Flynn. Not only was he in contact with Russia, but it appears he was a foreign agent for Turkey as well. Syria pops into my head.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't have particularly cogent thoughts on the matter, but I don't like the rise of leaks and hacks as news stories (whistle blowing is a separate matter).

That said, if this is true, of course it's for the better that we know.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

What I find troubling is the latest news on Flynn. Not only was he in contact with Russia, but it appears he was a foreign agent for Turkey as well. Syria pops into my head.

Link?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/us/politics/michael-flynn-turkey.html

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
The gulen-monopoly is my favorite thing about this

https://twitter.com/MahirZeynalov/status/839613372261941248

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Trogdos! posted:

The gulen-monopoly is my favorite thing about this

https://twitter.com/MahirZeynalov/status/839613372261941248

Gulen is into charter schools, Betsy DeVos is into charter schools.... how far does this conspiracy go? :tinfoil:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Zeman really was Trump-lite before Trump even Trumped.

The short version is that he travels around the country, pretending not to campaign, spends a ton of money on transportation, security and catering while the local authorities have to pick up the tab:

quote:

Costs for refreshments during presidential visits in 2016
Region price in CZK
South Moravian 431,338
Silesian 352,655
Pilsner 320,234
Olomouc 256,449
Hradec Kralove 244,400
Highlands 227,512
Zlin 220,500
Central 217,355
Usti 217,100
Pardubice 215,469
Liberec 194,468
Carlsbad 150,325
jihočeský 143,502
total 3,191,307 [~$128k]
The figures are pretty laughable by American standards, but still, that's just food. They also had to repaint and fix the landscaping around some town halls and what not :v:

http://zpravy.idnes.cz/zeman-kraje-cesty-penize-089-/domaci.aspx?c=A170310_212901_domaci_och
https://translate.google.com/transl..._och&edit-text=

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Dear Diary,
Today I had the misfortune of watching a political discussion on TV. After 5 minutes I decided to go for a smoke to preserve my health and sanity...

Highlights included a rulling party representative (one Jacek Sasin) explaining that Saturday's Tusk EU reelection debacle was an inspiring moment showing the guts and the spines of our government, and bringing to light EU's true, tyrannical face. The fucker actually made comparisons to Chairman Mao...

In the last three days all of our pro-PiS media crawled froum under their dung piles to prove that our government's most recent humiliation was actually a grand moral victory with headlines like: "EU's democracy standards laid bare by Poland", "German candidate forced as European Council president", and (i poo poo you not) "Volksdeutsh in charge of Europe"

I'm constantly surprised how any PiS-apologist in the media manages to somehow avoid their throat catchig fire as they speak...

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

RedSnapper posted:

"EU's democracy standards laid bare by Poland", "German candidate forced as European Council president"

Hahaha, how are they spinning 27 to 1 as undemocratic?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

EU was built on the grounds of mutually equal member state interests and such, I imagine.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
A question about Flynn: how does an American (former army general too) end up in Ukraine working for a Russian puppet and help to put down pro Western protests? Like I know I'm being naive here because lots of money was involved but I still can't figure out why the Yanukovic government hired an American to help them. Are there not enough Ukrainians willing to sell out the country to Russia? It sure seems like there's plenty since the pro Russian insurgency began. What am I missing here?

Edit: I think I'm mixing up Flynn and Manafort. But it's not so hard to mix up all the trump administration people that have dealings with Russia.

Charliegrs fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 12, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

A question about Flynn: how does an American (former army general too) end up in Ukraine working for a Russian puppet and help to put down pro Western protests? Like I know I'm being naive here because lots of money was involved but I still can't figure out why the Yanukovic government hired an American to help them. Are there not enough Ukrainians willing to sell out the country to Russia? It sure seems like there's plenty since the pro Russian insurgency began. What am I missing here?

Edit: I think I'm mixing up Flynn and Manafort. But it's not so hard to mix up all the trump administration people that have dealings with Russia.

Manafort has a long history of using the tricks he learned from shadiest of GOP operatives to help out shadey strongmen (Ferdinand Marcos!) in troubled countries, as well as using his Republican connections to lobby for them in US.

Any involvement in putting down for protests would be weird, indeed, though, that's really not his thing.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

To count all the ways:
1. Germany bribed/bullied everyone else into submission
2. That's pretty much it.

Also, Tusk was elected despite the objections of his home country which means he has no legal mandate somehow and that he now can't claim to be doing anything in Polish interest (since our national interest is whatever PiS says it is).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
In somewhat surprising news, there are protests in Belarus over the parasite tax, and this has actually effected policy change from Batka: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN16G1L1

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

In somewhat surprising news, there are protests in Belarus over the parasite tax, and this has actually effected policy change from Batka: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN16G1L1

He suspended it, but won't completely repeal the tax. The protests continue, and they're getting bigger. Also more widespread around the country.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/840964448844152833

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

RedSnapper posted:

I'm constantly surprised how any PiS-apologist in the media manages to somehow avoid their throat catchig fire as they speak...
Same reason it didn't also happen to Pilsudski. :v:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Manafort has a long history of using the tricks he learned from shadiest of GOP operatives to help out shadey strongmen (Ferdinand Marcos!) in troubled countries, as well as using his Republican connections to lobby for them in US.

Any involvement in putting down for protests would be weird, indeed, though, that's really not his thing.

Well if those hacked text messages from Manaforts daughter are real, then it certainly seems like he had a hand in violent suppression of protests in Ukraine. But I guess if your career is assisting dictators then thats just part of the job.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RedSnapper posted:

To count all the ways:
1. Germany bribed/bullied everyone else into submission
2. That's pretty much it.

LOL that's absurd, Germany is waaaaaay too stingy to bribe anyone.

Bully, though, I could believe that.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Question for polish goons - who the hell are Ordo Iuris? Because Croatian government invited them to participate in expert workgroup to rewrite a new laws regarding domestic violence and women's rights.

Casual googling says they are a catholic conservative platform, but how conservative are they? How terrified should we be?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gervasius posted:

Question for polish goons - who the hell are Ordo Iuris? Because Croatian government invited them to participate in expert workgroup to rewrite a new laws regarding domestic violence and women's rights.

Casual googling says they are a catholic conservative platform, but how conservative are they? How terrified should we be?
From cursory googling, really:

quote:

What kind of work takes Ordo Juris? Here are the goals of the institution:
- Legal protection of human life at all stages of its development,
- Respect for marriage as the union of man and woman, the family, motherhood and parenthood, and promote legal solutions to protect them,
- Protection of the rights of parents to educate their children in accordance with their conscience and convictions, legal protection of children against demoralization and depravity,
- Respect in the public space of the spiritual heritage of the nation, which is rooted culture of Poland and combating social exclusion, discrimination and marginalization of individuals or groups because of their attachment to traditional values

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

They're the people who think women should be put in prison for even attempting to have an abortion.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
You probably already heard about it, but Ukrainian hackers found Kremlin-paid guy organizing pro-Kremlin rallies across the EE and so on
https://informnapalm.org/en/kremlin-behind-anti-ukrainian-protests-poland-analysis-hacked-correspondence/

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Gervasius posted:

[...] Ordo Iuris [...] to rewrite a new laws regarding domestic violence and women's rights.

A Pale Horse posted:

They're the people who think women should be put in prison for even attempting to have an abortion.

Pretty much. They're the last people you want writing those laws.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

cinci zoo sniper posted:

From cursory googling, really:

So:
-Anti-abortion, anti-contraception, anti-women
-Anti-LGBT, anti-divorce, anti-single parents
-Anti-education, anti-science, anti-sex ed
-Anti-minorities, anti-secularity, anti-atheism

What a bunch of swell guys!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

So:
-Anti-abortion, anti-contraception, anti-women
-Anti-LGBT, anti-divorce, anti-single parents
-Anti-education, anti-science, anti-sex ed
-Anti-minorities, anti-secularity, anti-atheism

What a bunch of swell guys!
Yeah, they sound terrific even amongst the Eastern European bad.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, they sound terrific even amongst the Eastern European bad.

And these people are consulted to rewrite some rather important laws in Croatia. But hey, we elected right wing governments disguised as a centrist, so there we go. And we did it twice in less than a year :v:.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gervasius posted:

And these people are consulted to rewrite some rather important laws in Croatia. But hey, we elected right wing governments disguised as a centrist, so there we go. And we did it twice in less than a year :v:.
If I were you I'd be opening a fetus-sized coffin manufacturing startup.

:negative:

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If I were you I'd be opening a fetus-sized coffin manufacturing startup.

I couldn't help but remembering this clip and then feeling like sharing it with the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbmf-bo1lDc

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So... There has been much hubbub in Ukraine over arrest of the head of State Fiscal Service in a case run by the National Anti-Corruption Bureau, since he is quite connected to Powers That Be.

Today, his wife posted his bail, of 100 million UAH. Doubtlessly all earned honestly.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

I thought that the issue wasn't that he did work for Turkey. That is was that when he was asked to disclose associations with foreign governments prior to taking his role in Trumps administration he failed to disclose it?

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 16, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Moldovan parliament did sign a bill earlier today, classifying wine as food, rather than alcohol, and thus making it exempt from regulations concerning alcohol.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
It's made of grapes so i can have it for breakfast.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MOSCOW — A lawyer representing the family of Sergei L. Magnitsky, a Russian auditor and lawyer who died in prison in 2009 after uncovering a $230 million fraud targeting an American-born financier, suffered severe head injuries on Tuesday after plunging from his Moscow apartment building.

Russian news organizations said the lawyer, Nikolai Gorokhov, fell while helping movers carry a hot tub up to his fourth-floor apartment. They showed photographs of a shattered tub outside the building.

The financier, William F. Browder, said Mr. Gorokhov was to appear in a Moscow court on Wednesday to appeal on behalf of Mr. Magnitsky’s mother for an investigation into new evidence relating to the fraud scheme first exposed by Mr. Magnitsky.

“Basically, there is a trail of dead and seriously injured people leading from the Magnitsky case,” Mr. Browder said in a telephone interview early Wednesday. He said Russia’s post-Soviet version of the K.G.B., the Federal Security Service, or F.S.B., “is doing everything it can to shut down any serious investigation.”

Whether Mr. Gorokhov’s injuries were the result of an accident or foul play, the episode became the latest gruesome twist in a story that began when Mr. Magnitsky blew the whistle on what he believed was a tax rebate fraud involving official collusion and targeting Mr. Browder, who ran an investment company in Moscow, Hermitage Capital, from 1996 to 2005.

The Russian authorities have accused Mr. Browder, a British citizen who now lives in London, of orchestrating the fraud that he and Mr. Magnitsky attributed to criminals working in collusion with law enforcement authorities.

Mr. Gorokhov is a major witness in a case brought by American prosecutors against a Cypriot company accused of laundering some of the proceeds from the fraud.

Mr. Magnitsky, who was jailed in Moscow after speaking out about the fraud, died in 2009 after being denied essential medical care. His death earned the Kremlin widespread condemnation and led the United States Congress in 2012 to enact the Sergei Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act, aimed at punishing the officials involved in the arrest and subsequent mistreatment of Mr. Browder’s lawyer.

A Russian opposition politician, Vladimir Kara-Murza, who has since urged Congress to expand the economic sanctions imposed by the Magnitsky Act, has twice become seriously ill in the past two years from a mystery ailment that his family says was caused by poisoning.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Putin should check the expiry date on his polonium stock

http://www.rferl.org/a/russia-navalny-campaigns-after-green-antiseptic-attack/28380741.html

quote:

Russian opposition leader Aleksei Navalny has made the best of what appeared to be the latest attempt to trip up his effort to run for president.

After being doused with green antiseptic while opening a campaign office in the Siberian city of Barnaul on March 20, Navalny said that whoever did it had done him a favor.

"Maybe in the Kremlin they think I won't make this video with a green face, but I definitely will, because even more people will watch me," Navalny said in a clip posted on his website, suggesting that President Vladimir Putin's administration was behind the attack. "This will certainly not stop me."

With his face and hands covered in "zelyonka" -- a green liquid used by Russian parents and doctors for decades to treat skinned knees and other minor injuries -- he called on viewers to turn out for rallies he is trying to stage nationwide on March 26 against alleged government corruption.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is quite the article title.
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware
"Why American Farmers Are Hacking Their Tractors With Ukrainian Firmware"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Welp, looks like the largest ammunition warehouse in Ukraine is on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IChW11av7nU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGYdFSvRMQ

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Welp, looks like the largest ammunition warehouse in Ukraine is on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IChW11av7nU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGYdFSvRMQ

Any idea where in Ukraine it's located?