Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

BrianBoitano posted:

Wait why do we have concern for LA Beast and not the Jackass guys? I mean they're all brain damaged but people seem to speak up for Beast more for some reason.

LA Beast is mentally ill, the Jackass Crew (by their own enthusiastic admission) are just really loving dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
One is a group of idiots laughing and going "Yo, check this out, I'm going to dangle my rear end in front of a crocogator" and the other is a guy crying about how much it hurts to eat these light bulbs, but he needs youtube views.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

BrianBoitano posted:

Wait why do we have concern for LA Beast and not the Jackass guys? I mean they're all brain damaged but people seem to speak up for Beast more for some reason.

I think it's cause you can see the Jackass crew having fun and enjoying themselves, and for the most part they stopped when the ran out of ideas (as far as I know). LA Beast just gives off this aura of desperation nowadays and doesn't seem to actually have any fun anymore.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah they're idiots who hosed themselves up really bad, but they're also a tight-knit group of fun-loving charismatic party animal best buddies doing (sometimes) genuinely big, creative stunts with (sometimes) genuine skill and badass-ness (and other times just kicking each other in the dick). They got rich, achieved mainstream fame and sort of invented a new form of televised entertainment by sheer force of personality, had loads of fun and probably got laid an incredible amount.

Not saying it's a solid lifestyle choice or anything but it's not comparable to an unhappy man chugging too much cola or whatever, alone, for youtube views. That's like comparing being a rockstar with eating only mcdonalds because they're both ultimately unhealthy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Worf Effect grew more pronounced as the series wore on.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
There was a lot of concern about Steve o for a while. There were also a few stunts in common with la beast, like the bullet ant dance.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
https://twitter.com/kristiyamaguchi/status/843849542562865153

:stonklol:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:holymoley:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

:perfect:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Savage as gently caress

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:drat:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
someone explain the joke to me?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

snergle posted:

Nancy Kerrigan was on the US Olympic ice skating team in the early 1990s. Tonya Harding was another person on the team and was a rival of hers, and sent a dude to try to break her leg with a nightstick or some poo poo. It was pretty weird poo poo. They only send two people from the team to compete at the Olympics, so there was a lot of rivalry to see who gets to go. Kristi Yamaguchi was also on the team.

The cherry on the sundae is that Kerrigan recovered and got silver, and Harding got like eighth. And also blacklisted from American skating for the rest of her life for trying to assassinate a teammate's career.

e: The schadenfreude is on Tonya Harding for being a real lovely human being and ruining her own career as a result.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 05:51 on Mar 23, 2017

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

snergle posted:

quote:

In 1994, Kerrigan was attacked with a police baton by an assailant hired by the ex-husband of her rival Tonya Harding... As she was walking through a corridor at Cobo Arena immediately after a practice session, Kerrigan was clubbed on the right knee with a police baton by assailant Shane Stant.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I know Kristi is also a figure skater, but is there bad blood there? Or is it just a friendly joke?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gross Dude posted:

I know Kristi is also a figure skater, but is there bad blood there? Or is it just a friendly joke?

Could be neither. While the public may think of the incident whenever we here Kerrigan's name, her RL friends probably don't. She got assaulted, she got better, and then she went on to do lots of other things for 27 years. She got married, had three kids, her dad died in a drunken rage, all sorts of things the public didn't much care about. It defines her to the public, but hopefully it doesn't define her to her friends and colleagues.

So it's possible Kristi literally meant it the way you'd say 'break a leg' to anyone giving a performance, and didn't think about the implication until later.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Jackass rules and I miss them. :colbert:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

what the gently caress was the point of this?

why did he need that cheese stick?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

For my next trick I'm going to headbutt a brick wall until I lose consciousness.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Roobanguy posted:

:iiam:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Roobanguy posted:

How else was he going to melt it?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
God, it's called a fondue, dad!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
http://i.imgur.com/TTe7qZQ.gifv

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

:parrot:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gorilla Salad posted:

God, it's called a fondue, dad!
All the cool kids are making hand fondue these days!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

There's a trick where you can soak your hands in a solution of alcohol and water and then set it on fire, and the combination of the alcohol's vapour pressure and the water's isolation will allow it to burn off cleanly without hurting you. Usually you're supposed to wholly dunk your hand into the solution to guarantee good and even coverage, so chances are he left some bits of skin uncovered and got them burned.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Runcible Cat posted:

All the cool kids are making hand fondue these days!

ugh it's Handue you tryhard

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ugh it's Handue you tryhard

I thought it was 'getting a hand cheesy'

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

dangerously cheesy

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

OzyMandrill posted:

I thought it was 'getting a hand cheesy'

egg nog trying to get a hand cheesy

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Perestroika posted:

There's a trick where you can soak your hands in a solution of alcohol and water and then set it on fire, and the combination of the alcohol's vapour pressure and the water's isolation will allow it to burn off cleanly without hurting you. Usually you're supposed to wholly dunk your hand into the solution to guarantee good and even coverage, so chances are he left some bits of skin uncovered and got them burned.

You can dilute high percentage alcohol with water down to >50% and it will ignite. Its best to keep a full(not washcloth size) towel sitting in a sink full of water to put the fire out like a blanket. Dunk your hand in the sink before applying diluted mixture. I'm not a millionare so I poured it onto my hand. For this picture I cheated and held a sponge soaked in fluid. I needed more fire because I couldn't get the lighting right.

Shadenfreude lands on me lighting my hand on fire for a picture because some friend of a friend told me to light myself on fire. There was no blisters or pain despite it taking way too many tries to get the lighting and coreography right.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrianBoitano posted:

Magnus Manfist posted:

Yeah they're idiots who hosed themselves up really bad, but they're also a tight-knit group of fun-loving charismatic party animal best buddies doing (sometimes) genuinely big, creative stunts with (sometimes) genuine skill and badass-ness (and other times just kicking each other in the dick). They got rich, achieved mainstream fame and sort of invented a new form of televised entertainment by sheer force of personality, had loads of fun and probably got laid an incredible amount.

Not saying it's a solid lifestyle choice or anything but it's not comparable to an unhappy man chugging too much cola or whatever, alone, for youtube views. That's like comparing being a rockstar with eating only mcdonalds because they're both ultimately unhealthy.

The Jackass guys also had a director and a production team behind them every step of the way, discussed stunts as a team before attempting them, consulted doctors before some stunts (although they usually kept that side of pre-production hidden) and at least during the filming of the movies also had medical staff standing by. They also brought in actual professionals fairly often such as animal expert Manny Puig (who was definitely a bit too lax in letting them do dumb poo poo like swimming with hammerhead sharks but he at least vetoed some of their crazier ideas).
And most of them walked away from it with some level of worldwide recognition/fame and owning expensive cars and a big house and Knoxville at least kickstarted a movie career, although most of them eventually slipped back into obscurity.

Elohssa Gib posted:

I think it's cause you can see the Jackass crew having fun and enjoying themselves, and for the most part they stopped when the ran out of ideas (as far as I know).

Knoxville and the other producers were also smart enough to start up the Nitro Circus show and pretty much pass the dumb stunt baton on to younger, healthier people who actually had some skill in doing stunts.
Well, healthy people with skills plus some random fat unskilled guy called Street Bike Tommy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2b6MPpRNmE

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sponge Baathist posted:

You can dilute high percentage alcohol with water down to >50% and it will ignite. Its best to keep a full(not washcloth size) towel sitting in a sink full of water to put the fire out like a blanket. Dunk your hand in the sink before applying diluted mixture. I'm not a millionare so I poured it onto my hand. For this picture I cheated and held a sponge soaked in fluid. I needed more fire because I couldn't get the lighting right.

Shadenfreude lands on me lighting my hand on fire for a picture because some friend of a friend told me to light myself on fire. There was no blisters or pain despite it taking way too many tries to get the lighting and coreography right.

Haha, until the second paragraph I thought you made that photo just now for the thread.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G_o0rZdqNI

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Elohssa Gib posted:

I think it's cause you can see the Jackass crew having fun and enjoying themselves, and for the most part they stopped when the ran out of ideas (as far as I know). LA Beast just gives off this aura of desperation nowadays and doesn't seem to actually have any fun anymore.

Beast never enjoyed this. The funny part about this videos was either his solemn way of wanting a challenge and then pussing out two to four minutes later. He was the ultimate frat boy: hardcore until he had to put up or shut up and then it was nothing but crying and/or giving up. The fact that he's now lost his mind and is basically drinking himself to death on lovely beer in his parents' house makes him a ghetto Shoenice.

Magnus Manfist posted:

The Jackass crew at least went through with a lot of poo poo. I think the only exception was Margera (who was pretty much like Beast) who at least got tormented a lot by the crew so at least he provided some entertainment at the expense of his dignity. In the long run, Jackass was fresh at what it did. Beast was a ripoff at best who showed that for a Jackass ripoff to work you need people that either enable or force you to do weird poo poo. Without that group backing, you get some occasional moments of hilarity that drowns in a lot of giving up.

Phyzzle posted:

There was a lot of concern about Steve o for a while. There were also a few stunts in common with la beast, like the bullet ant dance.

Steve-O only got pathetic when he struck out on his own, like Beast. Being a solitary jackass isn't funny, it's a fetish.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Could be neither. While the public may think of the incident whenever we here Kerrigan's name, her RL friends probably don't. She got assaulted, she got better, and then she went on to do lots of other things for 27 years. She got married, had three kids, her dad died in a drunken rage, all sorts of things the public didn't much care about. It defines her to the public, but hopefully it doesn't define her to her friends and colleagues.

So it's possible Kristi literally meant it the way you'd say 'break a leg' to anyone giving a performance, and didn't think about the implication until later.

Or it could be that Kristi and Nancy have the sickest senses of humor ever and we're only getting a glimpse into their own madness that seems savage to us but normal for them. It has been decades since the attack and for all we know they've accepted it and moved on and to us it seems callous but to them is endearing.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Jackass guys also had a director and a production team behind them every step of the way, discussed stunts as a team before attempting them, consulted doctors before some stunts (although they usually kept that side of pre-production hidden) and at least during the filming of the movies also had medical staff standing by. They also brought in actual professionals fairly often such as animal expert Manny Puig (who was definitely a bit too lax in letting them do dumb poo poo like swimming with hammerhead sharks but he at least vetoed some of their crazier ideas).
And most of them walked away from it with some level of worldwide recognition/fame and owning expensive cars and a big house and Knoxville at least kickstarted a movie career, although most of them eventually slipped back into obscurity.

Knoxville and the other producers were also smart enough to start up the Nitro Circus show and pretty much pass the dumb stunt baton on to younger, healthier people who actually had some skill in doing stunts.
Well, healthy people with skills plus some random fat unskilled guy called Street Bike Tommy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2b6MPpRNmE

Or rather: there was some veneer of professionalism where YouTube means you can do this poo poo in your own house, making it look amateur and by extension 'real' and incredibly sad.

Edit: that crash is amazing. It's effortless how he just misses the soft landing. Elegant in a way.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

So... always black, or a white guy charred black after loving that up too many times?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I met this guy a year or so back at a local comedy show in Denver. He and his buddy wouldn't shut the gently caress up, despite being asked multiple times. They were the very definition of "heckler who thinks he/she is helping" and, ultimately, we asked them to leave. But not before he tried to pull the "don't you know who I am? let me get on stage" bullshit. Ugh. gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Data Graham posted:

Haha, until the second paragraph I thought you made that photo just now for the thread.

If I did that I would be holding onto something goony that isn't string cheese. Not that string cheese isn't goony just that I've got two cases of moon pies and zero pieces of string cheese at the ready.