Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We will be able to replace all the roles currently filled by migrant terrorists with angry unemployed British terrorists, thereby stimulating the economy. Exciting times!

e: 1924 - Ramsay MacDonald becomes the first Labour Prime Minister and Britain recognizes the Soviet Union (it's that big thing). Sadly too late for Comrade Lenin.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

british bombs for british landmarks

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I wannansee trumps horrifying plastic churchill face mould that he puts on every day as he goes to sleep.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Ratjaculation posted:

Thank god leaving the EU will solve all of this :)

And think of the upsides for negotiations!

https://twitter.com/SunApology/status/844821391505440769

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies
On the pensions front, good luck if you work in the public sector (like me) as your "private pension" age will be pegged to state pension age no matter how much you pay in, so you'll get gently caress all until 70.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

No you just need one. Private as opposed to state pension.

As Semi-mental just said, public sector pensions are linked to the retirement age. This means your NHS pension will not be available until age 70. And because it's a career average scheme, this means you will pay in for several more years for practically no benefit.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

Thank god leaving the EU will solve all of this :)

Bit of a non sequitur

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

jabby posted:

As Semi-mental just said, public sector pensions are linked to the retirement age. This means your NHS pension will not be available until age 70. And because it's a career average scheme, this means you will pay in for several more years for practically no benefit.

Oh sorry moneysavingexpert didn't mention this

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/23/westminster-attack-police-arrest-seven-people-in-raids-at-six-addresses

quote:

Armed police arrested eight people during late-night raids at six addresses across the country, including in Birmingham and London.
“It is still our belief, which continues to be borne out by our investigation, that this attacker acted alone and was inspired by international terrorism,” Rowley said.

Uhh so is this an admission that the police are just arresting people for no reason?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think the idea is you can be arrested on suspicion of something.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

That's a possible interpretation. You might more charitably (to the police) assume that several people were arrested on reasonable grounds but on questioning were not found to be linked with the attacker. Which is closest to the truth I have no idea.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Breath Ray posted:

I think the idea is you can be arrested on suspicion of something.

my brother got arrested for being equipped to commit criminal damage once because he had spray paint in a bag

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Ha just like will smith

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

my brother got arrested for being equipped to commit criminal damage once because he had spray paint in a bag

What was he intending to spray paint?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I don't know but he was looking at some graffiti when it happened while he was out on a walk with my nephew who was a baby at the time

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It seems like a majority of the victims weren't even english (french, south korean, spanish etc).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You shouldn't spraypaint around babies, they're more susceptible to the VOCs and some of the metals used in paint pigments.

You definitely shouldn't spraypaint babies.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Guavanaut posted:

You shouldn't spraypaint around babies

It's not my fault they make such good stencils.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Jippa posted:

It seems like a majority of the victims weren't even english (french, south korean, spanish etc).

They're still human beings!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

I don't know but he was looking at some graffiti when it happened while he was out on a walk with my nephew who was a baby at the time

Doesn't exactly take Poiroit to crack this case tbf Jose.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Jippa posted:

Let's see how the sensible political brains of the New Statesman process this information:

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/844863098171277313

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

J_RBG posted:

Let's see how the sensible political brains of the New Statesman process this information:

yikes, i get the point he is trying to make but there must be a better way to say it

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

don't think it is. hth

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

yikes, i get the point he is trying to make but there must be a better way to say it

there's always a better way to say something than doing it on twitter

that "US" stands out when all the others are proper adjectives. isn't Eaton an editor?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
ISIS claim responsibility, not that any one was even speculating.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

Doesn't exactly take Poiroit to crack this case tbf Jose.

I was just surprised "equipped to commit criminal damage" is a thing

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Cerv posted:

there's always a better way to say something than doing it on twitter

that "US" stands out when all the others are proper adjectives. isn't Eaton an editor?

That might be down to the word limit

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE17PfSGoiA

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I dont save anything for my pension, it'll all work out okay.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

lol if you think any of us will make it to retirement age

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
also lol if you think ur private / state pension isn't going to be raided / stolen by someone

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Stay classy Kokoro Wish.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

jabby posted:

So Afzhal Khan got the nomination for Manchester Gorton.

I've no idea what he's like as a politician, but Corbyn and his team really really need to get better at forcing through their preferred candidates. Watson and his allies have no problem with it.

To be fair when it's an MEP against a few councillors that's going to be an uphill struggle to get selected.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

J_RBG posted:

:agreed: It is an example of how England treats foreigners.

Jose posted:

I was just surprised "equipped to commit criminal damage" is a thing
"Traveling equipped" laws are supposed to be applied to things that are obviously dodge like carrying around lockpicks or a pry bar in an industrial estate at 2am without a good reason, and are basically the property equivalent of carrying an offensive weapon, with similarly broad interpretations.

They did get used a lot to target teens with spraycans after the whole fear of 'hip hop yoof'.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Semi-mental posted:

On the pensions front, good luck if you work in the public sector (like me) as your "private pension" age will be pegged to state pension age no matter how much you pay in, so you'll get gently caress all until 70.

Lol if you think that there'll still be a public sector by the time you reach retirement age.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

:agreed: It is an example of how England treats foreigners.

Truly splendid how Great Britain's diversity is reflected here at Yarl's Wood

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol if you think that there'll still be a public sector by the time you reach retirement age.

Why wouldn't there be?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

J_RBG posted:

Is the problem with this that he's said US rather than American?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Pissflaps posted:

Is the problem with this that he's said US rather than American?

Stay classy Piss Flaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I actually don't get what the problem with Eaton's tweet is?

• Locked thread