Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I'll take that off your hands! I'm in outer London, but come into central about once a week and would be more than willing to detour for booze.

Cool. PM me. I'm not sure if I'm in town next week but we can arrange. I think I've got 2 bottles if anyone else wants one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ooh me please, I love to expand my alcohol collection.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Seriously, please make an Esther Rantzen.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Pm me or put your email address in a post if you don't have platinum and do want ouzo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

therattle posted:

Pm me or put your email address in a post if you don't have platinum and do want ouzo.

Hello thank you

doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

therattle posted:

Oh lawdy yes!

itsathrowaway1991 [at] gmail [dottt] com

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop

BizarroAzrael posted:

I ate at Bao today! Went alone so could slip past the queue, really enjoyed the confit pork (6th best dish in London according to Time Out, I learned after the fact) and fried chicken buns, and the sweet potato chips. Well worth a go I'd say.

You can book now at the Fitzrovia branch (and order fancy plum wine hot chocolates n things to keep you warm if you have to queue!)

wow this thread is still going. good eating guys! and when the hell did Zedel become so popular? I haven't even thought about that place in ages but it's become The Place based on my quick scan of the last 10 pages!

Have been eating out a lot lately due to a combo of work, boyfriend's family in town taking us out and Tis The Season - La Vina neighbourhood £10 for 3 dishes on a Wednesday tapas restaurant in Harringay is still absolutely awesome, Bob Bob Ricard's steak tartare was insane but the fish fillet was way too greasy for me (BBR still my fave place ever tho), the Dorchester China Tang massively underwhelming (so close to Ducasse..aaargh).

Had a fun night out the other night at Dram & Smoke, a Scottish themed pop up in Bermondsey with a five course tasting menu - definitely try not to be a party of two when you go though, in case they seat you on a table with 8 very very posh people that you don't know.

Also GIN PEOPLE - get thee to THE DISTILLERY on Portobello Road, holeee shitballs. Such great gin, almost no hangover and 50% off food (for a bit) I think!

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

There is a really good pad thai stall called Newdlez that does Lower Marsh near Waterloo and Tatchbrook Street near VIctoria (and a few others I think).

I had a very nice dinner at Champor-Champor in London Bridge just before Christmas. The most tender beef rendang and a green curry with immense king prawns.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Anyone know a good place to go for a fancy hot chocolate in central? The person I'm going with can't drink tea/coffee, so I'd like to at least take them to somewhere nice. :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Anyone know a good place to go for a fancy hot chocolate in central? The person I'm going with can't drink tea/coffee, so I'd like to at least take them to somewhere nice. :v:

The Hotel Chocolat on Monmouth St?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Paul A Young does a v good, thick hot chocolate

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

The person I'm going with can't drink tea/coffee, so I'd like to at least take them to somewhere nice. :v:

Sever.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

The_Doctor posted:

The Hotel Chocolat on Monmouth St?

This.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Where to eat with a twist! I'm looking for good breakfast in London. Here's the catch:

I land at Heathrow (T5) on Friday morning at 6:15am, and I have a flight out from T3 at 2:30pm. I'm hoping that's enough time to venture into central (maybe Hammersmith area?), eat/catch up with my brother, and head back to the airport for 12ish.

By the time I land and get to the tube, I'm thinking it'll be 7:30, and tube to Hammersmith is 45min, so that puts me at 8:15.

I'm not sure how long it takes to get from the T3 stop to the actual departures, but I imagine 15 minutes or less, and the time from Hammersmith to Terminals 1-3 is 30 minutes - 45min transfer time. So I'd need to leave Hammersmith station by 11:15. This gives me 3 hours for breakfast, give or take.

After typing all that out, Covent Garden is only another 10 min from Hammersmith. Should I just go do Dishoom?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yes.

Alternatively, the Heathrow Express is much less frustrating than the Tube.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 6, 2017

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My body is ready

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
YES

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ugh, one day I will do Dishoom breakfast.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

angor posted:

My body is ready

But is your anus?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Boo, Slug & Lettuce no longer do 50% off on Mondays.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

You would have to pay me to go into one of them. They're in the same pile as albarone

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It's right next to my office, and it was handy :(

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Getting poo poo from colleagues for opting out of a bi-weekly lunch trip to Wasabi and saying that there's good Japanese food in Soho.

Misato is my recommendation by the way.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Getting poo poo from colleagues for opting out of a bi-weekly lunch trip to Wasabi and saying that there's good Japanese food in Soho.

Take them to the good places.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

Take them to the good places.

They are resistant to this, drat fools. Also Misato pretty much puts a hard limit of four to our group size.

Reminds me, that Bubble Wrap place across the road from there still seems to have crazy queues all day long.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Misato is great for lunches, and you could comfortably get 6 in. Also, Eat Tokyo on Old Compton Street.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

Stand your ground. Fight the good fight.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

BizarroAzrael posted:

Misato is infinitely better, the portions are massssssive, and they sell beer. That should convince em.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If I don't go for a while, the portion sizes at Misato never fail to surprise me. I think I'll go there Saturday...

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Theophany posted:

If you're doing lunch and like Chinese, I wholeheartedly recommend Imperial China. It's located on a backstreet between Leicester Square and Chinatown, tucked away a little so isn't one of the many mediocre tourist traps and has a brilliant dim sum menu served at lunch. In fact, I am going there tomorrow with my girlfriend for my birthday lunch to grow fat on dim sum and legless on sake.

For either lunch or dinner Barrica is a good choice; a cozy tapas bar on Goodge Street. One of my favourites that maybe pushing the budget a smidge if you go a la carte is MASH, just off Piccadilly Circus, but they have a competitively priced pre/post theatre menu too plus it's really cool inside and has a fantastic bar. If you're in the mood for an unashamedly decadent burger, you cannot go wrong with either MeatLiquor on Welbeck Street (near Oxford Street) or its sister restaurant MeatMarket (Covent Garden) imho.

On the topic of Chinese restaurant I went to the Four Seasons in chinatown yesterday which almost all London blogs will tell you has the best peking duck in the city and I was seriously disappointed. Prices were ok but the food was mediocre at best, felt like they had been trading on their reputation far too long and I'd imagine you could get better food, environment and service by just picking any other restaurant on the street at random :(

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

if you want a proper japanese pub/isakya experience i'd recommend kitan by chancery lane which also has the advantage of being cheap as gently caress if you hit up their happy hours

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I like New World for their dim sum, but a glance at recent reviews seems to indicate they don't do the trolley service any more...? The place has always been a bit of a mystery with regards to pricing anyway, with no prices anywhere indicating what dish costs what.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

vodkat posted:

On the topic of Chinese restaurant I went to the Four Seasons in chinatown yesterday which almost all London blogs will tell you has the best peking duck in the city and I was seriously disappointed. Prices were ok but the food was mediocre at best, felt like they had been trading on their reputation far too long and I'd imagine you could get better food, environment and service by just picking any other restaurant on the street at random :(

Sadly the way for many of these places, especially tourist traps like Chinatown. I haven't been to Leong's Legend in a while but a few friends have suggested it isn't as great as I remember it to be for much the same reason; they get so popular they can half rear end it.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Has anyone been to Breddos tacos? Is it any good?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

reality_groove posted:

Has anyone been to Breddos tacos? Is it any good?

I'm starting to think we should try to comprehensively rank the Mexican places in London.

Also FYI The Doctor Slug and Lettuce still does 50% off food on Mondays in Croydon, so I think it's just the central London ones not doing it. To be honest I'm surprised yours was, the one off Regents Street I'm pretty sure never did it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm starting to think we should try to comprehensively rank the Mexican places in London.

I went to Desperados in Islington on Saturday! They had Chimichangas on the menu, which is my favourite texmex thing to eat in the US, so I had to try that.

This is what a chimichanga looks like in the US:

A huge tortilla filled with meat and cheese, deep fried, covered in queso and ranchero sauce. Is delicious.

This is what I got in Desperados:

Three tiny things filled with meat, and apparently no cheese. Very disappointed.

My boyfriend had tacos, and they looked so much better, and were actually filling.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also FYI The Doctor Slug and Lettuce still does 50% off food on Mondays in Croydon, so I think it's just the central London ones not doing it. To be honest I'm surprised yours was, the one off Regents Street I'm pretty sure never did it.

Yeah, I got in touch with S&L over Twitter, and they said they no longer do it at that branch, but they still do at Borough which is nearby-ish.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hey London Food Goons, I have an off topic question but I figure some of you will know.

I am visiting Manchester for the first time this weekend. Where should I go to eat? Bonus points if Veggie friendly.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

ineptmule posted:

Hey London Food Goons, I have an off topic question but I figure some of you will know.

I am visiting Manchester for the first time this weekend. Where should I go to eat? Bonus points if Veggie friendly.

Bundobust for amazing indian street food and beer, v-rev for really good hipster vegan junk food. Maybe 1874 for a more upmarket meal, but its been a while since I ate there so I can't personally vouch for that one. And of course like the 1000s of other curry places that will do you good veggies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Amazing, cheers :cheers: