Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ducks suck, refs suck, Mcdavid got 3 points so it wasn't a total waste.

Now the oilers have 20 hours until they have to play again in colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I feel like the Ducks are having the most unremarkable season of any team. It's just blah

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Powershift posted:

McDavid has been on the ice for all 7 goals the past 3 games, including getting points off 6 of them. Maybe the other 3 lines should consider scoring again?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kilza posted:

McDavid has been on the ice for all 7 goals the past 3 games, including getting points off 6 of them. Maybe the other 3 lines should consider scoring again?

lotta 6 mil players not paying 6 mil hockey.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Powershift posted:

Yeah, there was really no excuse for that non-call on Nurse for his high-stick. It was super obvious. That's one where you expect the refs to see it between periods and then make a bunch of phantom make-up calls about.

Powershift posted:

lotta 6 mil players not paying 6 mil hockey.

I would so love for Eberle to do...anything. Ever. :(

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
The Detroit Red Wings Are Going To Win The Draft Lottery

might as well jump in on this shitposting and run it into the ground

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Koopa Kid posted:

I want TOR-OTT and BOS-MTL in the first round and I will be very upset if the Islanders ruin that

-e- oh wait the wildcard is dumb and that might not be possible

Yeah is would get to be stomped by whoever wins the metro, and whoever ends up fourth there would play mtl, I think.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

DuhSal posted:

Cool stat I just saw: last year the Leafs had zero players with 50+ points. This year they have 5 players with 50+. In other good news, Roman Polak will have a hearing for his dumb hit.

Yeah what a stupid move, I hope he gets 10 so he has time to think on the morality of hurting other people over a game but doesn't miss playoffs

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

There's almost no way for it to happen, but Toronto-Columbus would make A Good Series.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Forget science. This is magic.

The Pittsburgh Penguins will win the Stanley Cup.

I think the reason it annoyed me last time is that there was no toxx involved. If there are no negative consequences, then you're just spamming poo poo.

OK, the other reason it annoyed me was because it was about the Penguins and TRUE.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Wait, TOR - CBJ was a Tim Peel game?

Now that lovely, awful officiating makes sense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Boomer The Cannon posted:

It was already a Toronto game.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

There's almost no way for it to happen, but Toronto-Columbus would make A Good Series.

That three point game you wanted would've helped. :argh: I agree, though. That was a fun game until the third.

The Embarrassment of Young Hockey Riches: A Series In (Up To) Seven Parts. Starring Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, William Nylander, Zach Werenski, Seth Jones, and Brandon Saad.

I didn't know it until the challenge, at which point Tim Peel appeared on my TV and Torts' rant made sense. Paulocaust pointed out four no-calls on the Leafs in the first in the GDT and I noticed a Polak hook on Calvert go missed in the second.

e- Greg Wyshynski runs down Crosby's history of shots delivered below the belt, including the one time he punched a prone Boris Valabik in the neck from behind: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/a-brief-history-of-sidney-crosbys-crotch-shots-video-160904475.html

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 23, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think the playoff teams we have now are the ones we're going to end up with. The West is pretty much set and in the East the Islanders are the only ones who might sneak in, over either Toronto or Boston depending on how their last few games go. Tampa was looking hot for a while but I think they're too far back now.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I didn't get to watch the game but all I can say is

:bisonyes:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Stretch Marx posted:

I didn't get to watch the game but all I can say is

:bisonyes:

It was great and you should feel shame for missing out.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah what a stupid move, I hope he gets 10 so he has time to think on the morality of hurting other people over a game but doesn't miss playoffs

If there's one thing that Roman Polak excels at (there isn't) it's playoff hockey.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I just read about Mike Keenan taking on a Chinese KHL team in the hopes of making China's hockey program competitive in time for 2022, which led to my annual look at KHL stats and it always amazes/fascinates me some of the retro NHL names who wind up there. It's like looking at a list of "These guys might be pretty good free agents for your team!" from 2008.

Among the "Oh yeah." names I've seen among the top 100 in scoring: Mozyakin, Dadonov, Nigel Dawes, Linus Omark, Brandon Bochenski, Peter Regin, Max Afinogenov, Gilbert Brule, FILLY DON' DO REBOUNDS, Cheechoo, Rob Klinkhammer, Matt Gilroy (wasn't he highly sought-after and now he's in Moscow?), Talbot, Lepisto, Sobotka, Enver Lisin, Zherdev, Svitov.

Their goalies appear more home-grown, but you see names like Fasth and Ben Scrivens.

http://www.eurohockey.com/stats/league/2017/395-khl.html
http://www.eurohockey.com/stats/league/2017/395-khl.html?season=2017&type=1&position=1&nationality=0

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Can't wait to see my boy Sid hoist that hardware again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Try to iron your pants for this one.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Among the "Oh yeah." names I've seen among the top 100 in scoring: Mozyakin, Dadonov, Nigel Dawes, Linus Omark, Brandon Bochenski, Peter Regin, Max Afinogenov, Gilbert Brule, FILLY DON' DO REBOUNDS, Cheechoo, Rob Klinkhammer, Matt Gilroy (wasn't he highly sought-after and now he's in Moscow?), Talbot, Lepisto, Sobotka, Enver Lisin, Zherdev, Svitov.

A lot of these names don't surprise me, except for the fact that Cheechoo is still playing. How is that even possible? And he's still putting up a decent number of points!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Aphrodite posted:

Try to iron your pants for this one.

Nice sour grapes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

As far as other leagues go, is the KHL basically considered the next best league in terms of quality/competition/money after the NHL?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, no, yes but only like 3 teams.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

As far as other leagues go, is the KHL basically considered the next best league in terms of quality/competition/money after the NHL?

I've always thought so. Keenan said the best teams could run with midpack NHL teams at best, so...maybe?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Yeah. It's definitely better than the AHL, but is quite a bit worse than the NHL.

I miss Kovalchuk though. I hope he comes back at the end of his deal there.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

CBJSprague24 posted:

That three point game you wanted would've helped. :argh: I agree, though. That was a fun game until the third.

The Embarrassment of Young Hockey Riches: A Series In (Up To) Seven Parts. Starring Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, William Nylander, Zach Werenski, Seth Jones, and Brandon Saad.

I didn't know it until the challenge, at which point Tim Peel appeared on my TV and Torts' rant made sense. Paulocaust pointed out four no-calls on the Leafs in the first in the GDT and I noticed a Polak hook on Calvert go missed in the second.
There was a cross check where the Leafs player nailed someone directly in the numbers, the ref was 5 feet away and didn't call it.

The roughing call on Dubinksy was bad, it should've been coincidental minors for 4 on 4.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Jaroslav Halak recalled from Bridgeport.

Earlier this year with the Islanders he had a .904 Sv% and a 3.23 GAA. In the AHL he's posted a .925 Sv% 2.15 GAA. Maybe he won't be terrible?

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
See? It's not just us

https://twitter.com/BSH_Charlie/status/844633286701928449
https://twitter.com/BSH_Charlie/status/844633454692225024
https://twitter.com/TravisSBN/status/844638644052905986

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
A lot of those KHL (and AHL) guys would do better than you expect with enough TOI/opportunity. The NHL has gotten a lot better about populating bottom sixes with skill guys but there's still a ton of talent not in the league.

Man I wish there was a FA cup type thing for hockey.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wonder if Vegas will take a look at some of these KHL guys.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Shawn Cotureier posted:

See? It's not just us

Canucks fans get a similar joy. According to Willie noone under 25 can be trusted with any responsibility whatsoever. Horvat started the year on the 4th line (he's our leading scorer), Goldobin scored a goal in his debut and then got benched immediately after, Gaunce plays on the 4th line exclusively and is given zero offensive opportunities. Meanwhile career AHLers in Michael Chaput and Jayson Megna (combined 8 goals on the year) alternate as the Sedins winger. The Canucks even signed Drew Shore a week ago because Willie didn't want to dress a rookie for these meaningless games. Goldobin (an all offence scoring LW) will be returning from injury tonight and will be slotted on the checking line with Brandon Sutter and probably Jack Skille. Rather than see what Jordan Subban could do in the NHL, they have Chris Tanev run the first PP unit.

And they wonder why they can't sell tickets.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah all of this is perfect. AMac is such a goddamn boat anchor

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Rotten Cookies posted:

Jaroslav Halak recalled from Bridgeport.

Earlier this year with the Islanders he had a .904 Sv% and a 3.23 GAA. In the AHL he's posted a .925 Sv% 2.15 GAA. Maybe he won't be terrible?

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/status/844914107774095362

lol

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think the playoff teams we have now are the ones we're going to end up with. The West is pretty much set and in the East the Islanders are the only ones who might sneak in, over either Toronto or Boston depending on how their last few games go. Tampa was looking hot for a while but I think they're too far back now.

I think Tampa still has a shot, given that they play Boston twice and Toronto once. But they're still going to need help from other teams even if they win those games. And if they can't win tonight's game against Boston that's probably it for them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Isn't Tampa suuuuuper thin after that top line though? I know their depth is pretty rough

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
https://twitter.com/BroadStBull/status/844959270269521920
https://twitter.com/BSH_Charlie/status/844960703354208257

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DJExile posted:

The AHL doesn't compete money-wise but Jonathan Cheechoo wasn't good enough for that league 4 years ago

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I hate manning but hasn't MDZ been fighting injuries for like 2 years now? Honestly wouldn't shock me if that's what caused it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

The AHL doesn't compete money-wise but Jonathan Cheechoo wasn't good enough for that league 4 years ago
He had 32 points in 35 AHL games the year before he went to the KHL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

2 games is not enough for Roman Polak to learn his lesson. Should be out for the rest of the season.

Also suspend Hunwick because he stood there and watched it happen or whatever poo poo excuse just get rid of him too.

• Locked thread