Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Oxyclean posted:

Re-summoning phantoms should open you up to more invaders or increase your chance of pulling in more invaders.

summoning a phantom reset the invader timer and the more phantoms in a game the more likely invaders are to target it. it's unfortunately not enough but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I like to yell at videogames sometimes and my voice isn't like getting a power drill crammed into your ears, I should really try streaming.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Your Computer posted:

It's that time again; since I'm playing through DS3 again I'm looking for some background entertainment. I always love to put on let's play's on my second monitor while doing my nth gimmick run, I'm not sure why but it's tradition now since I've been doing it since DS1 :v:

Does anyone have any recommendations, preferably for blind runs (e.g. first playthroughs)? I've watched LobosJR, ENB and a couple of the immediate search results on YouTube when just searching for "dark souls 3 blind playthrough" but I'm sure there's plenty out there both on YouTube and Twitch that I haven't seen yet.

This is very cool, thanks!

Dazzling Addar did a full blind runthrough in her LP thread, but never finished her detailed runthrough, but her blind runthrough is worth watching.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Speaking of annoying the crap out of people when invading, I want to riff on a build someone invaded me with once, and I need suggestions.

The basis of the build is wearing the Armor of Thorns and using a weapon with Quickstep. Annoying little poo poo just danced around me constantly, slowly wicking away my health and there seemed to be very little I could do about it.

I want to add Bleed to this for more annoyance, plus carry around a good shield to turtle behind. :v:

Got this so far:

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/155175

Taking suggestions.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Your Computer posted:

Thanks, I'll check that out! Not familiar with them, but I'll give it a try. I know it's a pretty narrow preference but I enjoy blind playthroughs by people interested in the previous games/lore the most. I just love hearing people gush over seeing Andre, discovering what's in Irithyll, etc. :3:

Then that playthrough I linked should be perfect, it's full of parts like happily realizing he's in Anor Londo or reading the lore of every item they collect.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

HaB posted:

Speaking of annoying the crap out of people when invading, I want to riff on a build someone invaded me with once, and I need suggestions.

The basis of the build is wearing the Armor of Thorns and using a weapon with Quickstep. Annoying little poo poo just danced around me constantly, slowly wicking away my health and there seemed to be very little I could do about it.

I want to add Bleed to this for more annoyance, plus carry around a good shield to turtle behind. :v:

Got this so far:

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/155175

Taking suggestions.

Try a BK shield with great magic shield for increased annoyance.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Azuth0667 posted:

Not trying to support the poor design decisions FROM made with invasion balance this go around but, it does make it really satisfying when I do successfully kill a host that's trying to run a gank squad.

Killing a gank squad host feels like getting a three pointer from half court. Nothing like invading a world at level 30 and being met by Havel, Nameless King, and some pencil dick with an estoc who won't take a step forward through the level until you did. I managed to kill this one host three times in Irithyll while his two invincible bodyguards tried to get me. Two of them involved gravity, knocking dudes off those long walkways.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I dunno if that's so much "gank squad" as it is "would rather do co-op PvE and would rather not have an invader raise the odds of dying in an inconvenient spot for reclaiming the bloodstain so they'll hang around somewhere they can easily get it back". Usually in this scenario the host is pretty new and inexperienced and their buds are helping them through the level. Admittedly in the long run all that hand-holding won't make the host any better at the game, but that's their own choice.

It's really not about what you the invader want (shocking, I know), except that you're invading people who really just want you out of their hair so they can get back to what they were doing, instead of invading people who are up for a fun scrap. Remember that orb invasions stick you with someone random who may very well not be interested in PvP at all, and soapstone invasions stick you with someone who actually wants you there. If you end up getting tag-teamed in the latter, that is very definitely a gank squad. The former, it could just be happenstance.

(e: covenant invasions are equivalent to orb invasions above.)

If I invade some helpless host or something (whether or not they have less-helpless buds), sure I'll kill them off the first time, but if I see them again I'll just wave, maybe drop some goodies, and crystal out. No point in being an rear end.

Vil fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 23, 2017

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jordbo posted:

Or even better: somebody with an ultra-great whatever and light armor can poise through straightswords/spears/halberds etc! Light rolling with the carthus curved greatsword is my favorite build across the souls games, it's sooo much fun combining poise with agility

Hell yeah, that was my favorite kind of build in DS1, and one of my favs in DS2. Goddammit, the DLC comes out in 2 days, now I'm tempted to build a new quick roll/Exile CGS character...

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I've made through Sen's Fortress, and I'm getting ready to take on the Iron Golem. However, I wanted to ask about weapon and armor choices before I proceed.

I've been watching the Super Best Friends playthrough of Dark Souls 1, and one of the stats they highlight is Poise. The current armor set up I have doesn't put any points in Poise, and the only gear that have that does is the Knight Armor. Should I look to increase my Poise stat, or is there a particular set of armor that's preferred? I heard that the Elite Knight Armor is good, but I sort of want to buy the Catarina Onion armor.

Weapon-wise, I'm still using the Halberd, but I was looking at the weapon upgrade guides, trying to figure out what path I should take. I saw that I could use Boss souls to get certain special items. I thought about upgrading the Halberd into the Lifehunt Scythe, but then I saw that it causes bleed damage when you attack with it. The only boss soul I have right now is Queelag's, and I thought about crafting Queelag's Furysword. Is there another route I should take?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Queelag's Furysword is pretty amazing, but it's a chaos weapon so have some humanity equipped.

Pretty early in the area after Sens Frotress you'll find a lighting spear, which is pretty fine at that point.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fly Molo posted:

Hell yeah, that was my favorite kind of build in DS1, and one of my favs in DS2. Goddammit, the DLC comes out in 2 days, now I'm tempted to build a new quick roll/Exile CGS character...

Isn't it 5 days until the DLC?

I personally can't wait :dance: I only hope there will be some more substantial lore (there won't) though because if I hear the name "Velka" one more time I'm going to puke.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Your Computer posted:

I personally can't wait :dance: I only hope there will be some more substantial lore (there won't) though because if I hear the name "Velka" one more time I'm going to puke.

DLC drops next Tuesday. The patch containing it drops on Friday, though, and has a pretty long list of changes (including improving the "motions"/animations of a lot of weapons, including ultra greatswords, greathammers, etc...).

I'm one of those nerds that'd love to meet/kill Velka, but at this point if the DLC actually answers any questions whatsoever I'll try to be content with it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Max Wilco posted:

I've made through Sen's Fortress, and I'm getting ready to take on the Iron Golem. However, I wanted to ask about weapon and armor choices before I proceed.

I've been watching the Super Best Friends playthrough of Dark Souls 1, and one of the stats they highlight is Poise. The current armor set up I have doesn't put any points in Poise, and the only gear that have that does is the Knight Armor. Should I look to increase my Poise stat, or is there a particular set of armor that's preferred? I heard that the Elite Knight Armor is good, but I sort of want to buy the Catarina Onion armor.

Weapon-wise, I'm still using the Halberd, but I was looking at the weapon upgrade guides, trying to figure out what path I should take. I saw that I could use Boss souls to get certain special items. I thought about upgrading the Halberd into the Lifehunt Scythe, but then I saw that it causes bleed damage when you attack with it. The only boss soul I have right now is Queelag's, and I thought about crafting Queelag's Furysword. Is there another route I should take?

Poise is always nice to have but not hugely beneficial to stack up (unless you're doing PvP in which case minmaxing it can be pretty rewarding). I try to have at least a little bit so I don't stagger every time I take a hit, but the Wolf ring you can find will give you 40 poise, which is quite a lot. Anything that staggers you through that, you don't want to get hit by in the first place. Just about any metal armor is going to give you poise as well, but watch your weight.

Quelaag's furysword is a very good weapon which I have a soft spot for, I used it on my first ever playthrough. It won't work too well against fire resistant enemies though, so be sure to have a backup that does some other sort of damage. The lifehunt scythe isn't very good by comparison. I'd rather have a +10 halberd.

skasion fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 23, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sum Gai posted:

DLC drops next Tuesday. The patch containing it drops on Friday, though, and has a pretty long list of changes (including improving the "motions"/animations of a lot of weapons, including ultra greatswords, greathammers, etc...).

I'm one of those nerds that'd love to meet/kill Velka, but at this point if the DLC actually answers any questions whatsoever I'll try to be content with it.

Oh, sweet! I already started on a roll-y Curved Greatsword character a good while ago with some great Fashion Souls but I never finished the run. Sounds like it would be a good opportunity to get DLC ready!

Also don't get me wrong, I'd love to learn more Actual Lore™ about Velka (and killing her would be pretty sweet), I'm just incredibly tired of all the lore conspiracy theorizing where everything is OBVIOUSLY connected to Velka (and/or Gwynevere). :tinfoil:

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Your Computer posted:

The bandwagon I'm on is the one that wants the Bearer of the Curse to be one who tracked down the Dark Soul ("Seek souls. Larger, more powerful souls") and features as a boss. I guess I don't mind the cyclic themes of the game.

skasion posted:

Quelaag's furysword is a very good weapon which I have a soft spot for, I used it on my first ever playthrough. It won't work too well against fire resistant enemies though, so be sure to have a backup that does some other sort of damage.

On the upside, I can only think of one encounter where dps really matters, and Quelaag's Furysword is very good for it.

hampig fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 23, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hampig posted:

The bandwagon I'm on is the one that wants the Bearer of the Curse to be one who tracked down the Dark Soul ("Seek souls. Larger, more powerful souls") and features as a boss. I guess I don't mind the cyclic themes of the game.

In true Fromsoft fashion, watch there not be a single mention of the Dark Soul or anything related to any of the massive dangling plot threads :eng99:

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Your Computer posted:

In true Fromsoft fashion, watch there not be a single mention of the Dark Soul or anything related to any of the massive dangling plot threads :eng99:

To be fair, it's what makes the setting interesting. It's one of the few games I can think of that has any sense of mystery, and it's because they recognise that you can't have mystery if you explain everything, especially if you explain things in the way that unfortunately tends to happen in genre fiction.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Frionnel posted:

Queelag's Furysword is pretty amazing, but it's a chaos weapon so have some humanity equipped.

Pretty early in the area after Sens Frotress you'll find a lighting spear, which is pretty fine at that point.

Lightning spear is in the basement of Sen's actually.

skasion posted:

Poise is always nice to have but not hugely beneficial to stack up (unless you're doing PvP in which case minmaxing it can be pretty rewarding). I try to have at least a little bit so I don't stagger every time I take a hit, but the Wolf ring you can find will give you 40 poise, which is quite a lot. Anything that staggers you through that, you don't want to get hit by in the first place. Just about any metal armor is going to give you poise as well, but watch your weight.

Quelaag's furysword is a very good weapon which I have a soft spot for, I used it on my first ever playthrough. It won't work too well against fire resistant enemies though, so be sure to have a backup that does some other sort of damage. The lifehunt scythe isn't very good by comparison. I'd rather have a +10 halberd.

Any character who can use the furysword well is also probably spec'd to use the Balder Side Sword which is easiest to farm on the roof of Sen's Fortress so that's a good side option. It's what I eventually beat Manus with as Queelag's is my character's main weapon.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hampig posted:

To be fair, it's what makes the setting interesting. It's one of the few games I can think of that has any sense of mystery, and it's because they recognise that you can't have mystery if you explain everything, especially if you explain things in the way that unfortunately tends to happen in genre fiction.

I agree, and I don't want them to "explain everything" at all. The great thing about Dark Souls lore and the thing that makes it mysterious is that it's mostly told in scattered pieces; dialogue, characters, environments, items, armor. There's surprisingly little that's outright stated, but there are enough pieces to theorize and connect the dots. However, some things don't really connect to anything, and that's frustrating. The last DLC didn't help connect these stray dots and instead added even more, which adds to the frustration.

I'm tired and can't really put this into words very coherently, but it's like.. you need enough scraps to be able to fill in the missing parts yourself (giving that sense of mystery), and in some parts of the lore there just... isn't.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Holy poo poo, twin swords plus Pontiff's Left eye is ridiculous on Deacons.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Holy poo poo, twin swords plus Pontiff's Left eye is ridiculous on Deacons.

Pontiff eye rings + Claws is hilarious vs the Deacons.

One of the few places those rings can really shine imo

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

Oh it's just the arenas that unlock on the 24th. drat.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Frionnel posted:

That makes me a bit skeptical about picking it, though, since I usually don't stay alive very long after reverse-hollowing.

skasion posted:

So I would just upgrade the Halberd normally to +10? Wouldn't it be more helpful to have some kind of attribute for it like Fire or something? I thought about Holy, since it scales with the Faith stat, and you wouldn't lose it on death like with humanity and Chaos weapons. At the same time, I don't know how beneficial it would be to spend points in Faith if I'm not really using spells that require the stat.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Max Wilco posted:

That makes me a bit skeptical about picking it, though, since I usually don't stay alive very long after reverse-hollowing.

I think you just want 10 humanity on your hud, you shouldn't need to be human to get the benefit. This also increases item discovery, if you're into that.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Max Wilco posted:

The Catarina set is one of the best armor sets in the game, so if you want it, by all means buy it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poise is sort of a playstyle thing in ds1, use it or don't it's all up to you

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Max Wilco posted:

The only weapon/armor choice you need for Iron Golem:

IRON TARKUS

When you are facing the boss fog, there's a bridge to your right. Go across it and into the room over there. To the left is a summon sign for an NPC. In NG - he can basically solo that boss himself. If you want to run in and get a hit or two to feel like you're contributing, feel free. :v:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Vil posted:

I dunno if that's so much "gank squad" as it is "would rather do co-op PvE and would rather not have an invader raise the odds of dying in an inconvenient spot for reclaiming the bloodstain so they'll hang around somewhere they can easily get it back". Usually in this scenario the host is pretty new and inexperienced and their buds are helping them through the level. Admittedly in the long run all that hand-holding won't make the host any better at the game, but that's their own choice.

It's really not about what you the invader want (shocking, I know), except that you're invading people who really just want you out of their hair so they can get back to what they were doing, instead of invading people who are up for a fun scrap. Remember that orb invasions stick you with someone random who may very well not be interested in PvP at all, and soapstone invasions stick you with someone who actually wants you there. If you end up getting tag-teamed in the latter, that is very definitely a gank squad. The former, it could just be happenstance.

If I invade some helpless host or something (whether or not they have less-helpless buds), sure I'll kill them off the first time, but if I see them again I'll just wave, maybe drop some goodies, and crystal out. No point in being an rear end.

I'm doing this at SL127-140 so these people are not newbies fumbling through a level with co-op buddies. Often the world is seeded and all three charge me spamming whatever edgy thing of the moment is. We all know how pvp mechanics work here thats why everyone is justifiably irked by the lovely balance FROM did with this latest installment.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Max Wilco posted:

So I would just upgrade the Halberd normally to +10? Wouldn't it be more helpful to have some kind of attribute for it like Fire or something? I thought about Holy, since it scales with the Faith stat, and you wouldn't lose it on death like with humanity and Chaos weapons. At the same time, I don't know how beneficial it would be to spend points in Faith if I'm not really using spells that require the stat.

Pure physical damage is sometimes better than any sort of elemental weapon ascension. If you give a weapon Fire ascension, it will have more overall attack rating, but now any damage it does will be reduced by the enemy's physical defenses AND their fire defenses. This isn't going to be much of a problem most of the time, but against enemies with high elemental defenses it will lead to underwhelming performance compared to a weapon that only does physical damage. Elementally ascended weapons also can't be buffed, though that's mostly a concern for casters.

Divine ascension is not super strong overall compared to other ascensions, but can be useful in a couple areas and does magic damage which is always nice to have. You probably shouldn't boost faith just for that though - the halberd doesn't have very much stat scaling so you won't get a whole lot of benefit out of it anyway.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Vil posted:

Yeah the stuff you posted in those first two paragraphs is so rare as to be almost non-existent in my experience.

Gank Squads are super obvious, as are most trolls. World seeded, no enemies dead, prism stones leading you.....somewhere, and the most meta PvP tryhard builds you can think of. And of course the smug gesturing when they kill you 3 v 1.

I had a weird troll last night, tho he wasn't successful at it. All he did was Cast Hidden Body and run away. That's it. Worked better than you might think until he ran out of casts, then he barely put up a fight. This wasn't a defensive "trying to hide so I can get through the level" thing because I invaded him 3 times and each time same thing. He wasn't racing for the bonfire at all.

I have encountered a few people who are "up for a fun scrap" as you say, but it's rare. I'd say 90% of the time it's some tryhard gank squad. Bonus points if they red soapstone an additional buddy in so it's 4 v 1.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

you think that people playing through the game with phantoms is rare? really?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I'm​going to be crestfallen if the patch that drops on the 24th takes a huge bite out of my Hollow Warden Twinblades' Bleed build-up. I get that Hollow is a disgustingly strong infusion because it tends to yield higher damage than other infusions along with the Bleed build-up as a cherry on top, but I feel like it is at least somewhat compensated for by requiring investment in an otherwise virtually useless stat. Especially if Carthus Rouge takes a nerf, it'll take a ton of the "new build smell" off of this respec.

In principle, though, I like the changes this patch is proposing. Making daggers more viable in regular combat by upping their AR and nerfing their Backstab/Riposte damage proportionally to make them more generally useful while maintaining what makes them mechanically unique is a great idea. I'm also really excited to see what the changes to player-applied Poison and Toxic will do as far as introducing new, viable builds into the game.

Also, did I read that right that the dude who translated the patchnotes issued a correction and that heavy armor is getting a defense buff and an overall weight reduction? That's loving awesome. I'm really excited about the Fashion Souls implications.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

HaB posted:

Yeah the stuff you posted in those first two paragraphs is so rare as to be almost non-existent in my experience.

Gank Squads are super obvious, as are most trolls. World seeded, no enemies dead, prism stones leading you.....somewhere, and the most meta PvP tryhard builds you can think of. And of course the smug gesturing when they kill you 3 v 1.

I have encountered a few people who are "up for a fun scrap" as you say, but it's rare. I'd say 90% of the time it's some tryhard gank squad. Bonus points if they red soapstone an additional buddy in so it's 4 v 1.

This is just the cost of password matchmaking I'm afraid. The series has always been designed as a co-op PvE game, with invasions as a spicy extra, and balanced as such. Sure there are still people who summon randoms and stand around waiting to kill invaders but it's not even close to the same level as a co-ordinated, twinked gank squad.

At least they were smart enough not to agree to reddit's clamoring to allow pre-mades to pubstomp undead match.

My personal suspicion is that balance was tipped in favor of the hosts because they want everything in the game to have a cost and a risk, but a souls cost for invading didn't go down well so here we are with risk-free unlimited invasions that are harder instead.

hampig fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 23, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

you think that people playing through the game with phantoms is rare? really?

I think they're trying to say most of the host + 2 phantom situations are gank squads and not "just some guys trying to get through"

It's been my experience in the Watchdog range at least. The solos and the host +1 usually play like they're trying to get through, but almost every time it's a host + 2 it's been some bullshit where the world is seeded and I get clowned on by dudes with ridiculous builds.

Time_pants posted:

I'm​going to be crestfallen if the patch that drops on the 24th takes a huge bite out of my Hollow Warden Twinblades' Bleed build-up. I get that Hollow is a disgustingly strong infusion because it tends to yield higher damage than other infusions along with the Bleed build-up as a cherry on top, but I feel like it is at least somewhat compensated for by requiring investment in an otherwise virtually useless stat. Especially if Carthus Rouge takes a nerf, it'll take a ton of the "new build smell" off of this respec.

I just started working on a character for that build so I'm hoping it doesn't get hit too hard as well, but the big thing sounds like is that the bleed on the twinblades (and other weapons with bleed) will go down, and the bleed you gain for bleed infusion goes up. Maybe you'll just have to invest 5 more points into luck and bleed infuse the twinblades?

quote:

At least they were smart enough not to agree to reddit's clamoring to allow pre-mades to pubstomp undead match.
I thought the patch notes mentioned you could pair up for undead match? Or is it going to only match up passworded players against other passworded players?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Y'know, Ariandel isn't great as level design goes, but the section after the gross village, with teh Followers all camped out in various sniper spots and patrolling those box canyons, that's probably the most fun section of the zone. It's a long stretch of no bonfires and it leads to this really gross location that serves as a pay-off to all the snow battles.

I'm feeling excited for Ringed City now, it's so close and I really want to see if they're going to blow our minds one last time or if DS3 ends with a whimper. If nothing else I just really want to see some payoff to all the feathers and angel symbolism in Lothric.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Or is it going to only match up passworded players against other passworded players?

That's how I read it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
What do you guys mean when you say "The world is seeded"?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Seed of a giant tree. It makes enemies attack invaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

What do you guys mean when you say "The world is seeded"?

There's an item called "Seed of a Giant Tree" - it occasionally shows up on the tree behind firelink that looks like... well, a giant. (Getting invaded gives it a chance to spawn, there can only be one there at a time)

Using it will cause mobs to attack invaders as if they were normal players.