Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
General feeling about engineers.

Mounted Engineer in Foret de Effyaders set up wire by the trench and then get to looting the farms.

Mounted Engineer in the Vallee start fortifying the southern entrance into Vallee.

Infantry Engineer start filling up the Vallee with trenches and wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

:siren: Emergency Orders for 7th Division

ORDER OF BATTLE

Arriving Turn 49:
20th Infantry Brigade (Terrifying Effigies)
21st Infantry Brigade (milaneza)

Arriving Turn 51:
Artillery Brigade (lenoon)

Arriving Turn 57+:
22nd Infantry Brigade (Istvun)

Objective: Sweep through and around the outskirts of Bois de Blob with cavalry support from 6th Division and destroy all enemies, then secure Trench J and the two trenches running parallel to M4 and M5 crossing. Fill the trenches as best you can and then deploy remaining companies in Bois de Blob in supporting positions. Charge the enemy on sight, but do not pursue fleeing enemies. Our goal is to set up along the ford.

20th Brigade: Proceed from your deployment zone in battle formation to the Southern half of Bois de Blob, approaching from the West. Move directly into Bois de Blob upon arrival. Expect enemy contact at this point. Once Bois de Blob has been cleared of enemies, proceed towards Trench J and occupy it, facing towards the ford, and hold position.

21st Brigade: Proceed from your deployment zone in battle formation to the Northern half of Bois de Blob, approaching from the Valley. On approach, try to cover as much of Bois de Coq as possible in case some cavalry scouts managed to get that far, but if it will delay your arrival at Blob, ignore this. Move directly into Bois de Blob upon arrival. Expect enemy contact at this point.Once Bois de Blob has been cleared of enemies, proceed towards the twin trenches to the Northeast of Bois de Blob and occupy them, facing towards the ford, and hold position.

22nd Brigade: You won't be arriving this turn! Not sure what to do with you yet, but you will probably be showing up to man trenches at Foret de Effyaders later on.

Artillery Brigade: Move down the central road from Effyaders and set up in front of the valley. You don't need to move as far forward as indicated, as long as you are within 40" of the ford crossings to the South and North. You will be supporting our front line with indirect fire when the enemy has been spotted.

Division Command Chit: Follow the 20th Brigade in (but keep ~8" distance behind them) and park just next to the road. Entrench on arrival and establish telephone connection with Corps Command. If the 20th or 21st is fighting directly in front of you then halt until the fighting has ceased.

Please give feedback regarding ways this emergency plan can be improved while still sticking to the general plan outlined by Corps Command. I'm not very good at this!

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 23, 2017

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
That artillery location is too far back to support the ford crossings. The guns need to be basically at the eastern edge of the vallee to reach people crossing. Also, I'm not sure what my dad's cavalry is doing given those orders for the 20th and 21st.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The 21st is going round the north side of the farm to deconflict the route of the 20th.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Istvun posted:

That artillery location is too far back to support the ford crossings. The guns need to be basically at the eastern edge of the vallee to reach people crossing. Also, I'm not sure what my dad's cavalry is doing given those orders for the 20th and 21st.

We're still working out plans for the cavalry.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Istvun posted:

That artillery location is too far back to support the ford crossings. The guns need to be basically at the eastern edge of the vallee to reach people crossing.

Fixed.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

mllaneza posted:

The 21st is going round the north side of the farm to deconflict the route of the 20th.

Roger that, 20th will head through Solitaire and keep to the south side of the M7 road on approach to Bois de Blob. Here's roughly what I'm thinking in terms of approach and final positions:

I'd like to recommend that the 21st approach through Saucisson Vallee, since units inside the valley are invisible to those outside. That would both check to make sure the valley is clear as well as allow you to sneak up on Bois de Blob from the west.

I'll work on getting 20th Brigade orders together for review tomorrow.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I'd like to recommend that the 21st approach through Saucisson Vallee, since units inside the valley are invisible to those outside. That would both check to make sure the valley is clear as well as allow you to sneak up on Bois de Blob from the west.

This seems reasonable. While doing so, I would like the 21st to move and clear through as much of Bois de Coq as possible without compromising arrival time at Blob, if it can be done. If it can't, then we won't worry about it.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 22, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Roger that, 20th will head through Solitaire and keep to the south side of the M7 road on approach to Bois de Blob. Here's roughly what I'm thinking in terms of approach and final positions:

If those are your positions, I'll take the north of the Bois; enter from the west and deploy along the north edge from W to E. You should have a conditional for sighting enemy in the trenches (at varying strength). Put a messenger to me in there and I'll move up to support (or get aggressive with any enemy to the N of the Blob.

My approach route will cut through the SE portion of Bois de Coq to clear that. Then I'm thinking parallel lines due E to form up with the 20th; they can face N and be just about in a perfect formation.

Units in woods want to be 4" fromt he edge to be hidden, or just inside to gain cover, right ?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Why not have both go through the valley on their final approach to the target? It'd mask both our units and reduce your exposure to fire from the Bois.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Bacarruda posted:

Why not have both go through the valley on their final approach to the target? It'd mask both our units and reduce your exposure to fire from the Bois.

1) I want to make sure nothing manages to slip away to the south of Bois de Blob.
2) In the event that things go south, I want mllaneza to have a clear route to enter the fray from the west rather than be stuck behind my chits.
3) Besides clearing the Germans from Bois de Blob, it is imperative that we occupy the trenches before any more Germans arrive at the ford. Therefore, the most direct route to the objective is necessary to get into position in the minimum amount of turns.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Alright, so here's the current plan for the 6th Cavalry Division

Hold position in the Bois de Blob until one of these things happens:

1) They encounter German troops. If that happens, they are to ambush the Germans, then book it for the central trenches and/or the Effyaders trenches.
2) The infantry arrive. If that happens, they are to charge the rear of any Germans in the Bois de Blob firing on the infantry. Then they are to break contact and head for the central trenches.
3) The Infantry get engaged by Germans west of the Bois de Blob. Then, they are to head for the central trenches.

I'd like some wire in the center, on the northern forms and the Effyaders trenches.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Wank off in the blob, got it.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Brigadier General :iit: Effigies

*******************************************************************************************

Fluff: We've got orders to evict some hooligans squatting in our trenches boys...there's a couple bottles of Frenchie red in it if we finish the job done before the 21st get their boots on.

General Abortretryfail, we estimate to be in position to clear the woods by Turn 56.

Fatigue tokens: 1

*******************************************************************************************

ORDERS FOR 20TH INFANTRY BRIGADE

Brigade shall enter the field as shown below in Battle Order:

The brigade shall advance along the arrows shown, shifting north at the E1 road so as to attack through the southern edge of Bois de Blob.

The brigade shall clear Bois de Blob and the L trench of all German forces in conjunction with 7th Cavalry Bde and 21st Infantry Bde.

Standing Orders during Attack

quote:

Turn and move directly towards enemy
Launch a Bayonet Charge
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

Once both Bois de Blob and the L trench have been cleared, the brigade shall take up positions as shown and switch to Defense.

Standing Orders on Defense

quote:

Turn and move directly towards enemy
Use rifle fire
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

CONDITIONALS

quote:

When taking up defensive positions:
If there is a location conflict with friendly units in the northeastern corner of Bois de Blob, then affected brigade chits shall instead take up positions along the forest edge around Brigade HQ.

edit - slight change to final positions

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 23, 2017

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

:siren:I believe we still need orders for:

6th Cavalry Brigade commander -- mydad
21st Infantry Brigade commander -- mllaneza
Royal Artillery commander -- lenoon

Scout plane - Loel (if we're using it this round)

Assuming no change to previous orders given:

RNAS Armoured Car Brigade commander -- sixkiller
Royal Engineers commander -- Hunt11

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

I want to put the plane south of Stethoscope, unless someone wants it elsewhere.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Infantry Engineer 2: Either move to set up wire as shown on the map or finish setting up said wire. Once done set up a trench directly behind the one already in place in the Vallee.

Mounted Engineer 1: Set up wire just in front of the trench already in place in Foret de Effyaders and then head towards the farms and loot them for wire.

Mounted Engineer 2: Extend the trench you are working on down south, but only do so once the 21st brigade has crossed the road.

Emergency Orders

Fall back away from the enemy to the west end of Saucisson Vallee and set up wire across the road (Infantry engineer) before starting work on trenches on either side of the road that are outside the Vallee.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Time for a plan that Slim has long been waiting for. The Final Stand

The idea is to set up barbed wire at least on our end and if we have the time/resources on both ends of the bridge.

After that has been done we wire the bridges to blow up and just wait for the enemies to come and once we brigades get stuck on the bridges we blow them up.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Loel posted:

I want to put the plane south of Stethoscope, unless someone wants it elsewhere.

Can we have it recce the M7 fords and the J trench area?

Also, did we get any info from the last spotting run?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Bacarruda posted:

Units rushing for Stethoscope which we subsequently killed.

Option 1: South of Stethoscope
Option 2: M7 and J trench
Option 3: Near Chemin Cruex

Im undecided which I like best.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Doesn't cover affect plane spotting?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Since this is the first time 7th Division has given orders, here is the Historian's Survey.

1. How do you feel the planning for this battle has gone, in general?

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 23, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Regarding the spotter plane, I have no strong feelings regarding any of the locations, however I am curious if they have any troops to the North.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Bacarruda posted:

20th Bde will be starting to clear Blob and have eyes on the trenches by the end of the round, so the plane's not going to tell us anything we won't already know by then.

I'd prefer getting a view of the area between the fords and Stethoscope, like so:

Should give us an idea of what's approaching from the south, and possibly where their artillery park is setting up.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Major-General Desmond de Vere Barrington, GCVO, DSO and Bar. General Officer, Commanding, 3rd Cavalry Division, British Expeditionary Force.

Division HQ (Bacarruda)
Hold position

RNAS Armoured Cars (sixkiller)
Hold the northern fords for as long as possible. Report immediately if you see any contacts.

Flooding contingency orders remain in effect.

7th Cavalry Brigade (my dad)
You are to hold position in the Bois de Blob. until one of these condition comes into effect :

1) You encounter German troops in the forest or approach you from outside of it. If that happens, ambush the Germans with your small arms and heavier weapons, then book it for the central trenches and/or the Effyaders trenches.
2) The infantry arrive and spot Germans in the Bois de Blob. If that happens, you must charge the rear of any Germans in the Bois de Blob firing on the infantry. Then, break contact and head for the central trenches near the M4 ford.
3) The infantry get engaged by Germans west of the Bois de Blob. If this happens, head for the central trenches.

Engineers (Hunt 11)
If you can swing it, I'd like some wire in the center trenches, on the northern fords and the Effyaders trenches.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 23, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

My sincerest and most profound apologies for my absence, I've been having a 'Moltke Moment' TM. Normal service will resume shortly.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 23, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

thatbastardken posted:

My sincerest and most profound apologies for my absence, I've been having a 'Moltke Moment' TM. Normal service will resume shortly.

I've been enjoying my time running things, it's okay :)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Brigadier General Mllaneza, 21st Infantry Brigade

Fluff: Gentlemen ! We are the best damned riflemen in the whole bloody world. Glory is in that direction ! <whispering from adjutant> THAT direction ! Now follow me !

General Abortretryfail, we estimate to be in position to begin clearing the woods by Turn 56.

Fatigue tokens: 1

ORDERS FOR 21ST INFANTRY BRIGADE

Brigade shall enter the field as shown below in Battle Order:

The brigade will attack as shown, north of Ferme Solitaire, through the Saucisson Vallee with the intent of clearing the northern portion of the Bois de Blob

Standing Orders during Attack

quote:

Turn and move up to 4" directly towards enemy
Engage with rifle and MG fire
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

Once the Bois de Blob has been cleared, the brigade will take up defensive positions along the edge of the wood as shown and switch to a Defense stance:

Standing Orders on Defense

quote:

Turn to face enemy but hold position
Use rifle fire
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

CONDITIONALS

Shift positions as far east as necessary to maintain contact with 20th Brigade's defensive positions.

If the double line of trenches is unoccupied, advance out of the woods to occupy them in Defense stance. The ideal positions are shown below. The companies extending to the NW across the road are to entrench as soon as possible. The companies in the Bois de Blob will replace casualties in this order:
Eastern trench line
Second trench line
New line to the NW.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Time for a plan that Slim has long been waiting for. The Final Stand

The idea is to set up barbed wire at least on our end and if we have the time/resources on both ends of the bridge.

After that has been done we wire the bridges to blow up and just wait for the enemies to come and once we brigades get stuck on the bridges we blow them up.

This is plan is impossible. We have no way to finagle a perfectly timed demolition, and even if we could our Engineers would just be shot to death by Germans on the bridge.

Just blow up a few of the bridges and move on. The point of destroying them is to deny any German force, at any point in this battle, an easy path into Effyaders. That's it. It doesn't directly benefit our position, it doesn't weaken our position. It denies the Germans strategic options, and gives us a little leeway in out troop deployment. With the bridges gone, we don't have to worry about having to divide our forces on both sides of the canal. We can just keep our our forces on the East Side, and shift units at a scale of 1/2 turns of movement, rather than 4/5.

We won't even kill that many boche anyways, the bridges aren't that long.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:siren:TRIN:siren:, you still haven't updated the links to the rules posts.

For the record, I think the orders, as given to me, are bloody stupid.

Standing orders when in defensive stance:
Dismount
Use rifle fire
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

Standing orders when on the attack:
Mount (duh)
Keep moving along original path
Launch a Cavalry Charge
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

If Germans are spotted somewhere they can be ambushed, ambush them. Then head for the center trench.
If Germans are spotted in Bois de Blob firing on our infantry, charge them. After contact has been made for one turn, break off, and if you somehow manage to miraculously survive this completely idiotic order without being mopped up while supressed, head for the center trench.
If Germans are spotted West of Bois de Blob firing on our infantry, head for the center trench.

Positions to be taken in the center trench:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I believe the team is currently panicking, as can be seen through the general sense of disorganization, lack of coordination, and emphasis on short term thinking in a non-desperate situation.

When I have the time, I'll write up a longer post explaining on why I see things this way, and what I think can be improved.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I think its more, we dont know where the enemy is, so have to be cautious in planning. Most of our plans last session werent more than a few turns ahead either.

Division commanders and staff, where do you want the plane?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

I believe the team is currently panicking, as can be seen through the general sense of disorganization, lack of coordination, and emphasis on short term thinking in a non-desperate situation.

When I have the time, I'll write up a longer post explaining on why I see things this way, and what I think can be improved.

The issue here isn't panic. I'm not panicked. Loel doesn't seem panicked. You're not panicked. Morale seems to be fine.

The issue here is that we aren't communicating effectively and we aren't doing reality checks. This was why the initial push on Stethoscope failed. It was a stupid idea in the first place and I've been kicking myself for a week that I didn't nix the drat thing. There was too much wishful thinking going on and not enough stone-cold sobriety. And then there wasn't clear communication about where people should go. Bad orders got issued and weren't corrected.

I do agree that don't have a clear overall plan. We have ok mid-range plans but we're very much letting the Germans dictate the pace of the battle. We do need Loel to give us a clear idea of where he wants us to be be by midday today and by nightfall tonight.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I cant draw arrows cuz Im at work, but I want the southern forest secured asap (possible boche killed), with troops in trenches facing the river. We have our cav brigade and 2 reinforcement infantry brigades to make it happen. Staff, can we get a time table for that?

Turn 51, arty moves to the center, ideally to some waiting trenches in vallee. Within indirect range of the bridges!

Next round, we have another brigade which will probably go to effyanders, but we have time to decide on that.

Edit:

Loel posted:

General directives: Reinforcements sweep the west, mop up any scouts the Boche have
Establish defenses along the M1-7 line / zone 4 / the central forests

Bonus objective: Find the main enemy body

Older post with arrows. Plane location is not confirmed.

Loel fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 23, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Loel posted:

but I want the southern forest secured asap (possible boche killed), with troops in trenches facing the river. We have our cav brigade and 2 reinforcement infantry brigades to make it happen. Staff, can we get a time table for that?

The two infantry brigades have an 8-turn approach march and then orders to clear the Blob before occupying the trenches. So around turn 60 we should have rifles in trenches.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Right. Listen up lads. We're high tailing it up because the bloody cavalry have been cocking about and now no one knows where the boche are, the infantry are making GBS threads in their trenches and they need a bit of support, poor darlin's, so they're sending us right up the line till there int a line left, because oh sod making a line when there's cockin abaht to be done, eh?

Still the royal artillery is here and we know how to stop the fritzes, don't we boys?

Deploy to move along the Central Valley. Move forward cautiously until the marked position (sorry I had no idea how many chits were available), and then deploy. Once deployed, go to standing orders for fire missions. There will be no timetable for today, or until the situation is stabilised.

Standing orders on the march:

If German forces get within 16, limber up, fall back down central road towards deployment point. When enemy is no longer within 16, stop and deploy.

Standing support fire orders:

Override ordered fire: Yes

9 supporting fire missions

Break off: 8"

Split fire, support brigades

Nearest brigade gets priority

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lenoon: I thought the plan was to station your artillery in the Vallee in the already built trenches?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Lenoon: I thought the plan was to station your artillery in the Vallee in the already built trenches?

Range too short STOP bugger possibly correct STOP too loving late to STOP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hope the boche are having as much fun as we are :v:

• Locked thread