Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pienipple posted:

Vanishing Points are fairly hefty.

Yeah but they're goddamn great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Decimo is a pretty good compromise imo

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah but they're goddamn great.

I haven't let mine out of my sight since I got it. It's a pleasure to hold.

I just bought a bottle of KWZ Honey to put in it, in fact. I don't know if I'll keep it in that pen or if I'll get a gold Metro for it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm regretting not ordering a converter with my Lamy, I'm looking at all the amazing inks that I could use.

Diamine Terracotta looks like a great match to the pen

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yeah I'm quickly finding inks to be even more addictive to try than nibs.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Welsper posted:

The Decimo is a pretty good compromise imo

yeah I'd decided instead of a VP I'd rather get a Decimo at some point. I like the color options it comes in as well.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Uggggh there are too many pens on my wish list! A Lamy 2K! A V.P.! A 3776! A Parson's! A 92! A Sailor Pro Gear or 1911!

I'm gonna need to take a third job soon. My pen job.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Yeah I'm quickly finding inks to be even more addictive to try than nibs.

Inks are a deep, dark hole there's no escaping from. Be careful.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Kessel posted:

Every week or so on the fountain pens subreddit, someone posts a pic of ink with specks of mold forming at the top. It ties a terror-knot in my stomach every single time. :smith:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Kessel posted:

Mostly I'm looking for the perfect "colorful, but still acceptable on professional documents" ink

I believe a very deep purple would work, if not a very well-saturated blue.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Blue is clearly acceptable. I've been using a dark green for business stuff lately. (Rotten Green from KWZ) I signed my business taxes with Imperial Purple.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Mostly I'm looking for the perfect "colorful, but still acceptable on professional documents" ink

I used to use Tsukushi for that. Apart from some very stick-up-their-rear end places (e.g. the DMV) it worked fine.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah right now Asa-gao is looking like a contender, but I am a huge fan of purple and Murasaki-shikibu calls to me

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Asa-gao is perfectly acceptable if blue ink as acceptable. It is probably the best all-around regular blue there is.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, it's gonna be Asa-gao. I got my Edison #5 fine nib in and put it in my Muji pen, to test it out. I mean, a handle's a handle, right?

Anyway

The Edison nib handled iroshizuku ink pretty much perfectly, and immediately.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I personally use Kon-Peki for everything slightly official and fun colors for all the rest. Such a pretty non-boring blue while still being ok for pretty much anything

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I use Bad Belted Kingfisher as my "work" blue.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Has anyone ever seen an amber Parson's Essential, in person?

In some photos, it looks dark, rich, and beautiful, subtly reminiscent of a cigar or leather. In others it looks like Guy Fieri squeezed out a flaming turd.

IRL is the color/design subtle and classy, or gaudy as gently caress?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 22, 2017

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Trustworthy posted:

Has anyone ever seen an amber Parson's Essential, in person?

In some photos, it looks dark, rich, and beautiful, subtly reminiscent of a cigar or leather. In others it looks like Guy Fieri squeezed out a flaming turd.

IRL is the color/design subtle and classy, or gaudy as gently caress?

I have one and I love it. It does not feel or look cheap at all in person. Very classy I would say. But everyone's definition of classy is different so.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Oh hey, that guy looks pretty cool. Also it's $55 on Massdrop right now if that's a good deal. I'm kinda tempted myself.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

Every week or so on the fountain pens subreddit, someone posts a pic of ink with specks of mold forming at the top. It ties a terror-knot in my stomach every single time. :smith:

Ink can get moldy?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Ink can get moldy?

Absolutely!

Though, some brands are way more prone to it than others. Private Reserve is a little notorious for under-doping their inks with biocide. I've also heard bad reports from Organic's Studio.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
yeah.

try not to leave any sandwich bits in it or whatever

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Keep the kids on tight and stick the ink in a drawer or something and you should be fine

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Meldonox posted:

Oh hey, that guy looks pretty cool. Also it's $55 on Massdrop right now if that's a good deal. I'm kinda tempted myself.

Not much of a deal just get it from MrPen directly. More choices, faster.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

signalnoise posted:

I use Noodler's Purple Martin for this. I love it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

signalnoise posted:

I like KWZ Iron Gall Gold for this, plus it's permanent too.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
It wouldn't be at all weird if I bought a Pilot CH91 just to exchange the barrels with my Falcon, right?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

grack posted:

It wouldn't be at all weird if I bought a Pilot CH91 just to exchange the barrels with my Falcon, right?

In the context of the something awful dot com fountain pen enthusiasts thread? Absolutely not!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Ask a random person on the street for the true answer.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Iznogood posted:

I have one and I love it. It does not feel or look cheap at all in person. Very classy I would say. But everyone's definition of classy is different so.

Is that an oblique?

I'm having trouble deciding between a fine cursive stub and a fine italic. Some of my thoughts:

1.) It's one of the few pens I'm likely to own in the near future with a hassle-free fine italic nib option.

2.) The fine italic seems to have an impressive amount of line variation; the fine cursive stub, extremely little.

3.) My handwriting tends to be small, and I do most of my writing in smaller notebooks. The fine cursive stub's line looks like something I could use every day. The fine italic looks like a goddamned gusher; I saw one sample where the fine italic made lines thicker than a normal broad.

4.) I'm worried about the sharp corners of the italic, but I've heard that this pen has one of the more user-friendly italics around...?

Basically I'm worried that A.) the fine italic--if the lines are as thick as they've been in some of the samples I've seen--will sit in my case unused, and B.) a fine cursive stub will be indistinguishable from my other fine/medium nibs, in which case why did I even bother?

Uggggh I've flip-flopped like ten times today.

EDIT: A FEW WRITING SAMPLES
^ That fine italic sample is supposedly a .65mm, while the currently available fine italic is .85. Compare those lines with the holy-poo poo-that's-fat fine italic sample in the first Massdrop photo.
^ The line differentiation in the stub is pretty disappointing, but its lines would totally fit my writing style. Unnnnnnngh

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 23, 2017

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Trustworthy posted:

Is that an oblique?

I'm having trouble deciding between a fine cursive stub and a fine italic. Some of my thoughts:

1.) It's one of the few pens I'm likely to own in the near future with a hassle-free fine italic nib option.

2.) The fine italic seems to have an impressive amount of line variation; the fine cursive stub, extremely little.

3.) My handwriting tends to be small, and I do most of my writing in smaller notebooks. The fine cursive stub's line looks like something I could use every day. The fine italic looks like a goddamned gusher; I saw one sample where the fine italic made lines thicker than a normal broad.

4.) I'm worried about the sharp corners of the italic, but I've heard that this pen has one of the more user-friendly italics around...?

Basically I'm worried that A.) the fine italic--if the lines are as thick as they've been in some of the samples I've seen--will sit in my case unused, and B.) a fine cursive stub will be indistinguishable from my other fine/medium nibs, in which case why did I even bother?

Uggggh I've flip-flopped like ten times today.

EDIT: A FEW WRITING SAMPLES
^ That fine italic sample is supposedly a .65mm, while the currently available fine italic is .85. Compare with the holy-poo poo-that's-fat fine italic line in the Massdrop photo.
^ The line differentiation in the stub is pretty disappointing, but it would totally fit my writing style. Grrrrrrrrr

It's a medium Italic that is not sharp at all. It does lay a thick line if you don't hit the perfect angle. I probably just suck with italics/stubs (yet my Twsbi diamond mini's stub always lays a perfect line). Wish I had ordered a fine.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I really like this Edison #5 nib. What are some good options for barrels under say 40 bucks? Is there a good option for generic nib and barrel sizes for making my own custom fancipen that isn't like 80 loving dollars? I would like to drop proprietary requirements as I am really a tinkerer at heart.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 23, 2017

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I had this email exchange with Goulet, but I'm disappointed that they haven't responded to my last message :(

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

grack posted:

Getting my Pilot Plumix today from Amazon just because I read somewhere (here?) that it's a stub and I can switch it to my metropolitans.

If it turns out I cannot I have one more pen to gift/PIF.

Speaking of that I spent saturday with my ex's daughter. Have raised her from 5 to 12-13 so I'm like her father. She got to meet my "new" family, my son and my fiance's daughter and was fascinated with my fountain pens. So of course she went home with:

Jinhao x450 that is very smooth
FPR Indus clear demo with a flex nib
2.4mm pilot parallel pen
3.8mm pilot parallel pen

Moleskine mini notebook
ZLYC passport sized leather notebook (midori imitation very nice)
Couple of rhodia cahiers
A cheapish but good enough notebook to practice in from costco

A LOT of refills for the parallel pens

4 Huge sampler bottles ( Wonderpens puts some of your new bottles of noodlers in there to help with the filled to the brim, they are much much bigger then 2ml samplers):
Noodler's Apache sunset
Noodler's Apache Turquoise
Noodler's Operation Overlord
Noodler's Black swan in australian roses

A blue thingy to flush her pens

And off she was with all her new treasures. She's 17 so not a kid anymore. She asked a lot of questions over facebook and I linked her to videos about her pens.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Iznogood posted:

Getting my Pilot Plumix today from Amazon just because I read somewhere (here?) that it's a stub and I can switch it to my metropolitans.

If it turns out I cannot I have one more pen to gift/PIF.
It works. You can also swap nibs with the Pilot Penmanship if you want an EF metro.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Everything Burrito posted:

It works. You can also swap nibs with the Pilot Penmanship if you want an EF metro.

I was wondering exactly that! Thanks!

That makes me wonder what other advantageous nib swaps like that there are. I think I saw a webpage with a exhaustive list of nibs I wonder if it would help identify these.

I should order a bunch of goulet #6 nibs one day and update my jinhao's to see how better it is.

Had two catering contracts back to back and have some money for a new pen... Or something else I like other things!! But yeah I'm looking real hard at a Pelikan m400 on fpn. The guy is selling it 140 usd$ which seems like a very good price for a pen a want very much. I am just not sure about the size..

I wish I had access to a good store but nope so I keep buying pens online without being sure how they'll feel and the more I use fountain pens the pickier I get.

A good example of that is the Pilot vanishing point. Everyone ( figure of speech) raves about it and a lot of peoples are like me in that they feel nothing for this pen until they see it in person then it's great.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Why the gently caress aren't there any cheap good cylindrical pen barrels??? Like everything I find is the Lamy Logo, FC Ambition, etc.. 40+ dollar pens. Very annoying.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Can anyone say if they found filofax to be worth the cost? As Evernote is much shittier to use these days I'm planning on moving a few of the things I used it for back to pen and paper. I used Moleskin for that task in the past, but these days I primarily use Clairefontaine and Rhodia. Neither seems to have a good portable sized book and I'm not sure if I want to go back to Moleskin pocket sized.

e; how are the Leuchtturm1917 pocket sized? They pretty much look like Moleskin and would line up nicely on the shelf of used notebooks, is the paper better?

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nephzinho posted:

Can anyone say if they found filofax to be worth the cost? As Evernote is much shittier to use these days I'm planning on moving a few of the things I used it for back to pen and paper. I used Moleskin for that task in the past, but these days I primarily use Clairefontaine and Rhodia. Neither seems to have a good portable sized book and I'm not sure if I want to go back to Moleskin pocket sized.

e; how are the Leuchtturm1917 pocket sized? They pretty much look like Moleskin and would line up nicely on the shelf of used notebooks, is the paper better?

I haven't used filofax, but I've used both the Arc system from Staples and the Kokuyo Campus refillable notebooks which operate on the same principle and they've both been nice. I used them for school work, so it let me cycle notes out from the books I was carrying to school everyday to a binder for storage as I needed to. If you don't need the ability to rearrange pages at a whim I wouldn't bother, though, the added cost in accessories makes them a little expensive to use as a standard notebook.

Leuchtturm has waaay better paper than moleskin. I don't have a pocket notebook from them, but I have both the Master and the "normal" size and use them with my pens all the time.