Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Pale Horse posted:

They made two very good pickups in Jackson and Baker and resigned a bunch of their own promising players and didn't overpay for anyone so it was a good free agency period on paper.

Yea, that, plus our surprisingly good last season, makes me optimistic we could maybe make the playoffs this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

WampaLord posted:

Yea, that, plus our surprisingly good last season, makes me optimistic we could maybe make the playoffs this year.

Tbh I'm most worried about the Bucs in the division. You all are doing some things. Evans and Jackson is going to suck.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

WampaLord posted:

They should absolutely have the tools to make the playoffs at this point especially if the defense plays like it did over the second half of the season and the offense like it played over the first half, but recent history has been extremely unkind so I'm hesitant to feel optimistic. I'm definitely not despondent like during the last year of Raheem and all of Schiano though so there's that.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Still no answer at running back.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
It's entirely dependent on how Doug Martin returns. He's still on the hook for 3 years I think so if he comes back (after his suspension) and plays well, we'll be fine there. As much as I don't want them to, I think the Bucs also draft a RB in round 1.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's entirely dependent on how Doug Martin returns. He's still on the hook for 3 years I think so if he comes back (after his suspension) and plays well, we'll be fine there. As much as I don't want them to, I think the Bucs also draft a RB in round 1.

If they take a RB in the first Martin will be cut.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

If they take a RB in the first Martin will be cut.

Right, which is understandable, I just think that if you take a RB in the first he should be a generational talent and there's not one this year. A majority of Bucs fans want Cook but I think a lot of that is FSU fans.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

A Pale Horse posted:

What do you want to know?

Basically you can divide the off season into 5 parts. First from immediately following the super bowl until free agency is a mostly dead period where the only interesting things happening are players announcing retirement or getting arrested for doing stupid poo poo. Second you have free agency which begins with the official new league year. This is a time when free agents and unsigned players are able to negotiate with whichever team they wish to see if they can get paid a lot of money somewhere. The first 24 hours of free agency are especially exciting because most of the really good players get signed within that first 24 period. Third you have the time from after the first week of free agency until the NFL draft where everyone obsesses over who their team will draft and reads and makes 1000 mock drafts a day put out by "experts" who rarely make more than 20% correct selections in their analysis. After the Draft you have the second dead period where nothing really exciting happens except for maybe more arrests of players and this lasts until training camp begins, usually in July. Training camp and the preseason are the fifth period and they're mostly exciting for seeing which of your starters manages to get themselves seriously injured without playing a meaningful snap of football and if your quarterback reports to camp 30 pounds overweight. There's always some story about some scrappy undrafted free agent who's definitely going to make the team only to get cut in the first round of cuts too.

This is super helpful. Thanks

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Do it Saints

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/844919662659932160

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Manziel in New Orleans

Lol imagine an ending there that doesn't end in a hand grenade fueled murder suicide

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
lol, first Teo and now Manziel? After trading away Cooks (which I concede I don't think was terrible) and replacing him with Ginn? Saints, wut are you doing?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

lol, first Teo and now Manziel? After trading away Cooks (which I concede I don't think was terrible) and replacing him with Ginn? Saints, wut are you doing?

Trying to get a drug hookup

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Not all short QBs can be Drew Brees, Sean.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

An inveterate alcoholic in the drunkest city in North America. Sounds like a recipe for success to me, go for it Sean.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Not all short QBs can be Drew Brees, Sean.

True, but that being said... Manziel never had an actual chance.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Why not, it's sure to be entertaining.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chilichimp posted:

True, but that being said... Manziel never had an actual chance.

Yes, taking over starting of a team that was 7-5 and in contention for their division with a #1 target being Josh Gordon wasn't an actual chance.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Flikken posted:

Yes, taking over starting of a team that was 7-5 and in contention for their division with a #1 target being Josh Gordon wasn't an actual chance.

Your Joe Thomas avatar forces me to respect what you're saying more for some reason.

But man, come on, Manziel was loving strung along on the bench for half a season, never had the faith of the coaching staff, who likely was pissed he was drafted instead of Bridgewater.

He's a lovely person and a bad NFL fit, but I'd have liked to see what he could have been under a coach who actually believed in him.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 24, 2017

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

All the belief in him in the world wasn't going to cure his rampant alcoholism/drug addiction. He was doomed from the start unless he addressed that, and it doesn't seem like he has.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

He's a lovely person and a bad NFL fit, but I'd have liked to see what he could have been under a coach who actually believed in him.

So like a sponsor...

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chilichimp posted:

Your Joe Thomas avatar forces me to respect what you're saying more for some reason.

But man, come on, Manziel was loving strung along on the bench for half a season, never had the faith of the coaching staff, who likely was pissed he was drafted instead of Bridgewater.

He was given a fair chance to start the following season, started showing flashes and then slid right back into his alcholism/drug addiction/domestic violence during the season. Cleveland wasn't the problem with Manziel, Manziel was the problem with Manziel.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Flikken posted:

He was given a fair chance to start the following season, started showing flashes and then slid right back into his alcholism/drug addiction/domestic violence during the season. Cleveland wasn't the problem with Manziel, Manziel was the problem with Manziel.

Yeah, I remember the dark times.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Guess that ends the Johnny Football talk.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/847172998058483712

Glad to have him back.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Not the worst collapse by Atlanta this year.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
As the day closes...

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/Jaboowins/status/848981447813865473

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

He's looking good, not fat at all and seems to be focused on the right things. If he could reduce his picks by half or at least a third we'll have an honest to God franchise quarterback.

Also want to pet that good dog.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me of that fantasy football commercial where Chris Simms was dropping footballs in trashcans from like 50 yards out.

e: found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVG6FFWykH4

all of these are hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUYuTw_8pQU

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 4, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Tru got paid! :getin:

https://twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons/status/850702714598248448

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

What a weird thing to create a get-hype promotional image for.

"Desmond Truffaunt AGREED TO TERMS"
"Devonta Freeman SNAGGED THE GOOD PARKING SPOT"
"Vic Beasley WENT BACK FOR SECONDS".

These are just some of the things that went on at Falcons HQ today.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

big money big clit posted:

What a weird thing to create a get-hype promotional image for.

"Desmond Truffaunt AGREED TO TERMS"
"Devonta Freeman SNAGGED THE GOOD PARKING SPOT"
"Vic Beasley WENT BACK FOR SECONDS".

These are just some of the things that went on at Falcons HQ today.

I have to agree "AGREED TO TERMS" is the dumbest fuckin' promo phrase I've ever seen.

Shoulda be something like, "Trufant's Salary is about to RISE UP!"

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Chilichimp posted:

I have to agree "AGREED TO TERMS" is the dumbest fuckin' promo phrase I've ever seen.

Shoulda be something like, "Trufant's Salary is about to RISE UP!"

That's much better, honestly. You should go work for Atlanta PR.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

That's much better, honestly. You should go work for Atlanta PR.

Anything is better than their lovely PR squad which to this date has done like... maybe 2 good things, one of them being hiring Samuel L Jackson.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I like the Saints/Falcons games coming so late in the season, one on Christmas Eve, no less!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bucs final three:

vs Atlanta
@ Carolina
vs New Orleans

Should be an interesting ride in the NFCS this year. ESPN seems to think all the teams will finish above .500.

quote:

NFC SOUTH

Atlanta Falcons

Predicted record: 11-5

Starting off the season against a rebuilding Chicago Bears team is the perfect remedy for the Falcons’ Super Bowl hangover. Could be a 5-0 start with Green Bay at the new stadium in Week 2, at Detroit, then home against Buffalo and Miami. The Falcons might have trouble with three consecutive road games – including a Super Bowl rematch at New England – followed by a Dallas-Seattle, back-to-back. -- Vaughn McClure

Carolina Panthers

Predicted record: 10-6

Carolina may be reminded of its Super Bowl 50 loss with its opener at Levi’s Stadium, the scene of a 24-10 loss to Denver after the 2015 season. But the rebuilding San Francisco 49ers won’t be the tough test the Broncos were a year ago and this should set the stage for a fast start. That and a reverse of Carolina’s 2016 trend of losing close games – six by a field goal or less – should pave the way for a return to the playoffs for the fourth time in five years. -- David Newton

New Orleans Saints

Predicted record: 9-7

The schedule didn’t do the Saints any favors, since slow starts have doomed them during three consecutive 7-9 seasons and now they have to start at Minnesota on a Monday night, vs. New England on a short week, at Carolina and vs. Miami in London. But I expect an elite offense, an improved defense and realistic chance at the playoffs – especially if they can start 2-2 or better. -- Mike Triplett

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Predicted record: 9-7

The Bucs won’t see a single NFC South opponent until Week 8, and they’ll face three consecutive divisional opponents in the final three weeks of the season, meaning we may not have a clue who wins the division until the very end. A December trip to Green Bay may be the toughest challenge yet for a team looking to better last year’s 9-7 mark and reach the playoffs for the first time in 10 years. -- Jenna Laine

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wandler20 posted:

Bucs final three:

vs Atlanta
@ Carolina
vs New Orleans

Should be an interesting ride in the NFCS this year. ESPN seems to think all the teams will finish above .500.

Better than all of us going under 7-9.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Better than all of us going under 7-9.

I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Apropos of nothing but whoever designs images for and runs the Bucs instagram is really goddamn good at their job. They're churning out rad graphics on the regular.

• Locked thread