Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I actually don't get what the problem with Eaton's tweet is?

Me neither. Unless people are reading US as 'us' with emphasis. Unless that is what he's actually doing?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Stay classy Piss Flaps.

This reply doesn't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

It's a bit tacky and comes off like "the great thing about London is that you can injure people from so many different cultures just by driving down one pavement."

I wouldn't have used magnificent in anything relating to that event.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Pissflaps posted:

Me neither. Unless people are reading US as 'us' with emphasis. Unless that is what he's actually doing?

This reply doesn't make any sense.

Guavanaut posted:

It's a bit tacky and comes off like "the great thing about London is that you can injure people from so many different cultures just by driving down one pavement."

Stay classy Piss Flaps.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 23, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Guavanaut posted:

It takes a real effort to read it in that way.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Somebody on that twitter thread posted a picture of a woman in a hijab walking past with the caption 'Look whose not helping'.

I swear to God...

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
for once, pissflap has the less bad opinion

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pantsuit posted:

Somebody on that twitter thread posted a picture of a woman in a hijab walking past with the caption 'Look whose not helping'.

I swear to God...
I've seen that come up a couple of times on facebook. Fortunately only because friends were replying to it calling them a dumbass and pointing out that if a medic is already attending, you're not a medic, and you haven't been asked to help, the correct thing to do is to walk on by and not stand around gawking or crowding them.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It's really the use of magnificent that makes it an uncomfortable thing to say. It does indeed reflect Londons diversity, but you don't want to accidentally imply that many different groups being injured is a good thing.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Guavanaut posted:

It really doesn't read like that.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Pissflaps posted:

Is the problem with this that he's said US rather than American?

Something quite weird and ghoulish in presenting the wide range of nationalities represented among the victims of an atrocity as a positive of that atrocity imho, the lives of foreigners being only worthy of our attention by being smashed into by a car, and even then their existence here is thanks to the benevolent virtue of our beloved English capital

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

J_RBG posted:

Something quite weird and ghoulish in presenting the wide range of nationalities represented among the victims of an atrocity as a positive of that atrocity imho, the lives of foreigners being only worthy of our attention by being smashed into by a car, and even then their existence here is thanks to the benevolent virtue of our beloved English capital

You're doing an awful lot of work to get this from that tweet.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think if you are always sarcastic as a sort of defence mechanism to avoid being hurt by being emotionally available you may read sarcasm into things that weren't written sarcastically.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure why he'd tweet something like that sarcastically. Gallows humor?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Breath Ray posted:

I think if you are always sarcastic as a sort of defence mechanism to avoid being hurt by being emotionally available you may read sarcasm into things that weren't written sarcastically.

Lol

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I've seen that come up a couple of times on facebook. Fortunately only because friends were replying to it calling them a dumbass and pointing out that if a medic is already attending, you're not a medic, and you haven't been asked to help, the correct thing to do is to walk on by and not stand around gawking or crowding them.

Good point. You could also point out the white guy with his hands in his pockets gawking and the white woman on her phone... I just feel sorry for her really, must be terrible to have your image used by dickheads like that.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
He might not really think diversity is magnificent after all. I don't think he was being sarcastic personally but others with a more slender grasp on reality might based on preconceptions about the spectator.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

paul nutella tells muslims they aren't doing enough to stop extremism

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

rubbernecking is a proud human tradition and its strange to see someone do the correct thing and walk away

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Breath Ray posted:

He might not really think diversity is magnificent after all. I don't think he was being sarcastic personally but others with a more slender grasp on reality might based on preconceptions about the spectator.

I suspect most people who follow George Eaton know who George Eaton is. The political editor of the New Statesman. Which is a centre-left mostly progressive magazine.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
You'd be surprised to hear some of the opinions ppl hold on the centre left.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Breath Ray posted:

You'd be surprised to hear some of the opinions ppl hold on the centre left.

There's a lot of people who self describe as centre-left but clearly aren't. It's like how lots of racists deny being racist.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Back to pensions for a minute: I wonder if their gradually removal combined with social care collapsing and houseprices not will force 50 year olds to move back to their 80 year old parents house because neither will be able to live otherwise.

Not the end of the world but that'd be a hell of a psychological blow and collapse of the Thatcherite dream.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

You're doing an awful lot of work to get this from that tweet.

Stay classy piss flaps

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Them bloody pensioners should get out the house and get a job.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

namesake posted:

Back to pensions for a minute: I wonder if their gradually removal combined with social care collapsing and houseprices not will force 50 year olds to move back to their 80 year old parents house because neither will be able to live otherwise.

Not the end of the world but that'd be a hell of a psychological blow and collapse of the Thatcherite dream.

I think at some we will need an honest discussion about liberalising suicide tbh.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

namesake posted:

Has already happened (not that I ever had a Thatcherite dream).

No bloody way will I meekly commit suicide rather than cost the state anything, though.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

crispix posted:

I think at some we will need an honest discussion about liberalising suicide tbh.

Lets not go there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

crispix posted:

i want to go one of the cool north korean ways like being strapped to the end o f an artillery cannon and having it be fired

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Regarde Aduck posted:

Lets not go there.

Sorry but I have already started my political movement. :colbert: We will be known by history as the Exitbaggers.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Breath Ray posted:

Why wouldn't there be?

Have you paid even the slightest attention to the trajectory of every single thing every Government has done since 1979?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
So I'm seriously considering using my savings to buy a bunch of gold in anticipation of Brexit, because I think the pound it going to spiral. I have no experience doing this. Good/bad idea?

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 23, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oh dear me posted:

No bloody way will I meekly commit suicide rather than cost the state anything, though.
There's a way to commit suicide that does cost the state. :jihad:

(Don't kill other people though because that's bad.)

Jose posted:

i want to go one of the cool north korean ways like being strapped to the end o f an artillery cannon and having it be fired
That's actually a traditional British method used against Indians who looked at the Empire funny.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol american healthcare

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/...2698%23lastpost

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ThomasPaine posted:

So I'm seriously considering using my savings to buy a bunch of gold in anticipation of Brexit, because I think the pound it going to spiral. I have no experience doing this. Good/bad idea?

lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

I am the intravenous hangover piss.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I won't mind liberalising suicide. Kind of want to decide when I go out with a bang or whimper.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

There's that man on T.V. and his bald man servant selling gold coins and sovereigns if you are interested?

[edit] http://www.rosland.co.uk/

Such a poo poo advert.

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 23, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Suicide is kinda liberalised, but in the worst kind of way. It's legal unless you're so ill that you need someone to help. Unless you're royalty.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

would you like to elaborate.

I don't want to be left holding pounds when the currency collapses. Gold so far as I can tell holds its value reasonably well and I can afford to put a few ounces away in a secure storage unit.

I'm utterly disinterested in treating it as an investment or making money and I realise with the storage/fees I might actually lose a bit, but I think I'll lose far less than I would with a savings account.

Dead Goon posted:

There's that man on T.V. and his bald man servant selling gold coins and sovereigns if you are interested?

lol no I mean buying certified stuff from the royal mint not some fuckwit off the telly.

An ounce costs like 1k and I've got say 5k in savings. Just seems sensible to have at least some of that in the form of something slightly less fickle than currency given ongoing events.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you want to store a few ounces of something that there's always a demand for in bad times then :cocaine:

And in response to the obvious retort, they'll make private gold stockpiles illegal again too if sterling shits the bed that badly.

• Locked thread