Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Blue Dragon.

Although now I think on it, didn't one of you hate turn-based battle systems? Pork Lift I think it was?

Oh well, still voting Blue Dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Do both in one thread simultaneously. Or blue dragon.

That hidden gathering point was perfect.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

It's not Jade Cocoon but go Blue Dragon!

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Blue Dragon. I felt good after that boss refight. I hope this trend continues for the rest of the game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

So uh how does that work? Do we just re-vote between the two? I'm still for Graces.
Let's all gang up on Curtiss.
Blue Dragon

VVV Boo!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 21, 2017

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

(Graces)

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Revotin' for Graces.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
So I wanted to do a stupid thing and stay quiet until we start the next thread whereupon the OP is all like "We take respecting all of your opinions equally very seriously and therefore are playing the one game you all unanimously voted against." but Pork Lift is insisting we do the sensible thing.

Here's the stats for how many people's lists total each game appeared on:

Blue Dragon 26
Tales of Graces f 19
Pandora's Tower 18
Tales of Xillia 16
Opoona 13
Catherine 9
Enchanted Arms 8
Grandia 8
Escape from Bug Island 7
Dragon's Crown 5
Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure 5
Atelier Ayesha 5
Jade Cocoon 4
Let's Help wateyad Get Over His Fear of Time Management (Atelier Rorona Plus, possibly followed by the rest of the Arland Trilogy) 4
Super Mario 3D world 3
The Guided Fate Paradox 0

We're playing Blue Dragon.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Blue Dragon is a great unknown for so many people, so I'm happy to see it get what it deserves.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Pork Lift posted:

How do you feel thread?

That boss refight :thumbsup:
Wallpaper being wallpaper :thumbsup:
Keeping Diabolic Edgelord forever :thumbsup:
Hidden gathering point gives you the failure buzz :perfect:

bonus fakeedit: Hey if Blue Dragon sucks I wouldn't hold it against you to abandon it and play Graces (or other good game). Star Ocean 4 deserves a palate cleanser

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I will be interested in seeing how many people actually enjoy BD. I liked it well enough but I always got the feeling it was mildly disliked.

Do you guys have any idea when you'll be starting the next LP?

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

At the moment I don't feel like taking a break so we'll probably get moving on it soon! Thread won't go live until Star oceans are over though. We'll link to the new thread from here after we finish the horrible edge maverick slog so you shouldn't miss it!

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

wateyad posted:

Pork Lift is insisting we do the sensible thing.

wat

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pork Lift posted:

At the moment I don't feel like taking a break so we'll probably get moving on it soon! Thread won't go live until Star oceans are over though. We'll link to the new thread from here after we finish the horrible edge maverick slog so you shouldn't miss it!

Awesome, I definitely can't wait.

Might have to get a new 360 so I can play along with you guys.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

I know, right?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Hooray for democracy!

I find it funny Riderman is dead becase Wing said his cloak looked bad. This game is very strange.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope he's the final boss.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

wateyad posted:

We're playing Blue Dragon.
I'm sorry it came to this. Once again, democracy has failed us all.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 22, 2017

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Man, now I'm never going to see a good LP of Escape From Bug Island.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
Prediction Razzies

Next time we might not put it to vote. I'm well up for blue dragon but a couple of other choices might get played because I didn't realise how much I wanted to do them until no fucker voted for them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pork Lift posted:

Next time we might not put it to vote. I'm well up for blue dragon but a couple of other choices might get played because I didn't realise how much I wanted to do them until no fucker voted for them.

I'm curious which games appealed to you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Pork Lift posted:

If it helps your mood about doing that game, I enjoyed it enough to beat it twice, the second time doing more of the sidequests that I'd ignored. The side content in Blue Dragon can be pretty interesting in it's own right. Way better than collecting 10 insect legs anyway...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

If it helps your mood about doing that game, I enjoyed it enough to beat it twice, the second time doing more of the sidequests that I'd ignored. The side content in Blue Dragon can be pretty interesting in it's own right. Way better than collecting 10 insect legs anyway...

Yeah it has a lot of fun optional dungeons and bosses. Then again, BD's combat system is simply more my cup of tea. I prefer turn-based to action RPGs by a lot.

Did you play it on the highest difficulty level? The one intended for NG+? I'd like to try that but I no longer have my old save file so when I replay it I'll just have to go with Hard.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah it has a lot of fun optional dungeons and bosses. Then again, BD's combat system is simply more my cup of tea. I prefer turn-based to action RPGs by a lot.

Did you play it on the highest difficulty level? The one intended for NG+? I'd like to try that but I no longer have my old save file so when I replay it I'll just have to go with Hard.

Nah, never cared about playing games on hard difficulty. I'm bad at hard games, so I prefer to amble along on normal.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 76: Wet Maverick Does Not Exist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNFr2786qMM

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Shoeless posted:

I know one that's two people laughing at the ridiculous situations if that game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Shoeless posted:

It doesn't deserve one!

Benach
Aug 15, 2013

wateyad posted:

With a video title like that, I was expecting an incredibly stupid plot twist about Wet not being real, akin to Star Ocean 3. This is just so boring in how stupid it is.

There's dozens of things that are just wrong and stupid with this cutscene, that's a given. But the thing that's bothering me, of all things, is this

Ken Lightman said that the plan is to destroy all evidence of the SRF and that "Two of the original SRF vessels still remain." He's using a ship that looks identical to the SRF ship that the party has. Bacchus said that the vessel was unknown, even though it looks identical.

What is the game actually trying to say, here? That this is the second of the SRF vessels still remaining? Then why the gently caress haven't they destroyed it already, for the whole "erase evidence of the SRF" plan? Why couldn't Backups identify it? It's not like it's the only ship they have, since Crow had an Eldarian ship.

Or is the game saying that this isn't the second SRF vessel, and there's another one floating around somewhere? Why does their ship look identical to an SRF ship? It makes the whole "Erase evidence of the SRF" plan completely pointless, since the Eldarians couldn't tell the difference between this and the red ships anyway, they're still going to blame Humans.

This game's writing is awful.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Benach posted:

With a video title like that, I was expecting an incredibly stupid plot twist about Wet not being real, akin to Star Ocean 3. This is just so boring in how stupid it is.

There's dozens of things that are just wrong and stupid with this cutscene, that's a given. But the thing that's bothering me, of all things, is this

Ken Lightman said that the plan is to destroy all evidence of the SRF and that "Two of the original SRF vessels still remain." He's using a ship that looks identical to the SRF ship that the party has. Bacchus said that the vessel was unknown, even though it looks identical.

What is the game actually trying to say, here? That this is the second of the SRF vessels still remaining? Then why the gently caress haven't they destroyed it already, for the whole "erase evidence of the SRF" plan? Why couldn't Backups identify it? It's not like it's the only ship they have, since Crow had an Eldarian ship.

Or is the game saying that this isn't the second SRF vessel, and there's another one floating around somewhere? Why does their ship look identical to an SRF ship? It makes the whole "Erase evidence of the SRF" plan completely pointless, since the Eldarians couldn't tell the difference between this and the red ships anyway, they're still going to blame Humans.

This game's writing is awful.

I'm not going to deny it's dumb but the ships aren't actually identical, the Calnus(And I assume it's SRF sister ships) don't have the Keel and engine beard things that Lightspeed Kenny's poo poo has, so while they aren't identical the are clearly related and Backup is real don't for not recognizing it. Also I'm not rewatching videos to make sure but wasn't the Calnus upgraded by the Eldarians before we took of from the jungle planet for the first time? so they could just detect a specific combination of Earth and Eldarian tech that doesn't exist in the non-SRF ships but the take exist in' the phantom ships since they are cloned from the SRF ships. Actually which ship are they cloned from? Do the Grigori only clone they things they eaten/ destoyed? if so wouldn't the only SRF ship they could copy be broken since the Calnus was away when they emerged?`

BTW whatever happened to Crowes ship? maybe I just haven't been paying much attention but I just assumed he was still using it, the bridge when Wallpaper suicides into space looks like the one on the Calnus and it would make a lot more sense if that was the other SRF ship.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

wateyad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNFr2786qMM

I am in awe of that plot twist. That is a level of stupidity I have never encountered before. There are so many basic logical problems with it I don't even know where to start.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Hel posted:

BTW whatever happened to Crowes ship? maybe I just haven't been paying much attention but I just assumed he was still using it, the bridge when Wallpaper suicides into space looks like the one on the Calnus and it would make a lot more sense if that was the other SRF ship.

Yeah, it's this. Crowe just did the same thing as the Calnus crew of abandoning the SRF exploration mission in favour of saving the universe, except he did it much earlier.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So how far through the game is this? It's kind of impossible to tell how long the plot will be since nothing really seems to matter, and it feels like there have barely been any areas you've gone to.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Momomo posted:

So how far through the game is this? It's kind of impossible to tell how long the plot will be since nothing really seems to matter, and it feels like there have barely been any areas you've gone to.

It's EN II and then the final dungeon.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
For reference, landing on En II switches from Disc 2 to Disc 3 (of 3) on the 360 version. If you ever want to go back to Tungus, Skyrim, or Roak, you'll have to switch back to Disc 2.

dalthorn
Apr 23, 2016

Momomo posted:

Actually to an extent that seems to be a major theme of the series as a whole. Your actions either never matter, get undone (typically by some form of genocide/planet that you just were on blowing up), or important plot elements just get dropped to the wayside to never be mentioned or resolved.

Side note: Lym annoys the every loving Christ out of me when she speaks at all, kay. Serah as well to a lesser extent.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

How bad is SO5 because I was going to buy a PS4 and I was wondering if it's at least interestingly bad

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

corn in the bible posted:

How bad is SO5 because I was going to buy a PS4 and I was wondering if it's at least interestingly bad

I'm only about halfway done (I think), and it's fairly inoffensive so far? If the story/characters get bad at some point, I've not reached it yet.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

It plays more like a real time version of what SO3 says it is. There's no transitions into fights or anything like that. But then it has this annoying thing where if you are set to command a charter that isn't the MC, sometimes it will just start with them outside of the battle ring, and it just makes you run before you can even make a move in the battle. That's about the only complaint I had with it gameplay wise.

Otherwise the plot moves at lightning speed compared to this if you don't stop for every single quest and side thing. Just don't expect much space stuff or the old style, 'pick your own party out of many options based on your actions' kind of thing going into it.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Did I just watch a 25 minute long cutscene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
Prediction Razzies

Shoeless posted:

Did I just watch a 25 minute long cutscene?

We're just getting STARTED

• Locked thread