Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

obligatory, the first video on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNQXAC9IVRw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ahaha

i just now turned on the experimental features setting in forums options and there's a red <3 under tori's post for 3 eq's

thrichard

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

BiohazrD posted:

what the gently caress is even youtube

like, it makes sense for a personal video site, how does that name in any way relate to online dating lmbo

it's the site where you send women videos of you tube

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

holy poo poo lotta scrubs itt not knowing youtubes history

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2017/03/restricted-mode-how-it-works-and-what.html

quote:

The bottom line is that this feature isn’t working the way it should. We’re sorry and we’re going to fix it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

(lgbt get mad at me) Sorry. Im sorry.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

*product manager opens Restricted_Mode_Keyword_List spreadsheet, highlights cell reading "Gay," stares into space*

I also love that "we're still training our algorithm" is a good excuse, because you know they're not going to do a drat thing that isn't an automated process

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
i'm surprised restricted mode has been around 7 years and it didnt have any noticeable problems until now, honestly

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Probably has to do with LGBT being basically illegal in Russia, Google being in Russia, some important Google guy being from USSR and last elections but I would not know

ufarn
May 30, 2009
could be a perfect storm of lgbt being more acceptable which results in prominent lgbt youtube partners who now have the clout and following to make a stink about it with a big pro-lgbt audience

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ufarn posted:

could be a perfect storm of lgbt being more acceptable which results in prominent lgbt youtube partners who now have the clout and following to make a stink about it with a big pro-lgbt audience

I believe the word was not filtered before

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Celexi posted:

some important Google guy being from USSR

Russian Jews that escaped the USSR don't tend to have much love for the Russian government

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

*product manager opens Restricted_Mode_Keyword_List spreadsheet, highlights cell reading "Gay," stares into space*

I also love that "we're still training our algorithm" is a good excuse, because you know they're not going to do a drat thing that isn't an automated process

There is no way they did the ephemeral rift page by algorithm, unless they trained a neural net image classifier on rubber monster masks.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

qirex posted:

on your first day at Google they show you some boring secrets (easter eggs that never caught on, etc), but what they really ought to do is show you badwords.txt, the file containing every single contextless word or short phrase Google has ever decided was profane, going on and on and on. reading that file (which is really, really huge) is a really surreal experience.

everybody finds it eventually because you'll be using the code search tool looking for the TurboEncabulator or whatever, misspell it, and it'll turn out that TerboEncapulator means "suck my dick" in Esperanto, so the only result is badwords.txt

'gay' isn't in badwords.txt and I don't think anyone even uses it anymore so it's not related ok that's my story thanks for listening

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Change your goddamn avatar

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

lol

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

yeah wth

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
YOSPOS > google: lgbt added and removed here :nsa:

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Zamujasa posted:

YOSPOS > google: lgbt added and removed here :nsa:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

SolTerrasa posted:

on your first day at Google they show you some boring secrets (easter eggs that never caught on, etc), but what they really ought to do is show you badwords.txt, the file containing every single contextless word or short phrase Google has ever decided was profane, going on and on and on. reading that file (which is really, really huge) is a really surreal experience.

everybody finds it eventually because you'll be using the code search tool looking for the TurboEncabulator or whatever, misspell it, and it'll turn out that TerboEncapulator means "suck my dick" in Esperanto, so the only result is badwords.txt

'gay' isn't in badwords.txt and I don't think anyone even uses it anymore so it's not related ok that's my story thanks for listening

leak it

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Yes hello wikileaks this is a no-name something awful poster best known for that time Smythe changed his avatar to piss off hph, I have for you here this file full of profanity

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012

SolTerrasa posted:

Yes hello wikileaks this is a no-name something awful poster best known for that time Smythe changed his avatar to piss off hph, I have for you here this file full of profanity

It's literally just a text file right? Throw it on pastebin

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Every tech company with a form has a badwords table, you can google some examples it it's really not like the most amazing secret or anything

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Pryor on Fire posted:

Every tech company with a form has a badwords table, you can google some examples it it's really not like the most amazing secret or anything
so post it already

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
back in the day, road runner cable's landing page briefly had a collage of random users' uploaded pictures circling the logo at the top of the page

the devs knew it was going to go bad but stayed quiet and to their credit it lasted almost 3 days until management randomly loaded the website and saw a circlet of really horrible NS4W pictures

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

SolTerrasa posted:

lol smythe wasn't the one who did it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Bhodi posted:

back in the day, road runner cable's landing page briefly had a collage of random users' uploaded pictures circling the logo at the top of the page

the devs knew it was going to go bad but stayed quiet and to their credit it lasted almost 3 days until management randomly loaded the website and saw a circlet of really horrible NS4W pictures

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/leafs-fans-pollute-seaofblue-discovering-team-splash-page-141049631--nhl.html

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
NICE!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/844885670732685313

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

smoked

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pwnt

burning swine
May 26, 2004

brutal

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy