Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

exquisite tea posted:

Can there ever be such a thing as too much rear end.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Can there ever be such a thing as too much rear end.

Breaking a chair with the heft of your butt

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Somebody who does 3D modeling give me some work flow tips. I am so miserable

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

bake the render for UV ambience

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Somebody who does 3D modeling give me some work flow tips. I am so miserable

What are you modeling in?

Are you starting from primitives?

To say that I "do 3d modelling" is a bit of a stretch, but I took a class last semester where I had to do a lot of modelling and some animation, so I feel partially qualified to talk about it.

My professor was really good.

We worked in Maya, and we started everything from a cube. making a person? start with a cube. Making a dog? Start with a cube. making a jetplane? start with a cube. Making a person's hand? start with a cube. It actually worked amazingly well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Palpek posted:

Remember how the term ARPG was created in the first place? It's when people were mad when Diablo 1 was being called an RPG so a new term had to be created. Good times.

Really? I remember the first game I heard it attached to was Secret of Mana, I think, but I didn't pay much attention to PC games until a while after that.

Snak posted:

As "one of those purists" essentially, I'm happy to share the term. I don't mind things that have been traditional called RPG in the video game world being called RPGs. They earned it through time and tradition. That's how language evolves. All I ask is that it's an expansion of what is considered an RPG and that I can continue to refer to "games featuring role-playing" as RPGs. Which is what the guy on reddit was arguing against. That Witcher shouldn't be called an RPG "because it doesn't have enough stats".

Yikes, clearly I missed the start of the conversation. "The Witcher isn't an RPG because it doesn't have enough stats" is one of the more baffling arguments I've read today :psyduck:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

What are you modeling in?

Are you starting from primitives?

To say that I "do 3d modelling" is a bit of a stretch, but I took a class last semester where I had to do a lot of modelling and some animation, so I feel partially qualified to talk about it.

My professor was really good.

We worked in Maya, and we started everything from a cube. making a person? start with a cube. Making a dog? Start with a cube. making a jetplane? start with a cube. Making a person's hand? start with a cube. It actually worked amazingly well.

I'm doing Maya. The most complex thing I've tried to make so far is a gun but I deleted it in a fit of frustration because it was going so poorly. There are so many tools and I have no idea what any of them do or why they don't switch to one another with one button press or why zooming out zooms out in 5 steps but zooming in goes in one at a time and aaarrrggghhh
:negative:

edit: And yeah, I'm starting from cubes

oddium posted:

bake the render for UV ambience

Thanks

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Now coming to PC

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

8 Settembre eh?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is Destiny good

The first one is kind of unappealing to buy because you have the base game then I think like 3 or 4 expansions

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I'm doing Maya. The most complex thing I've tried to make so far is a gun but I deleted it in a fit of frustration because it was going so poorly. There are so many tools and I have no idea what any of them do or why they don't switch to one another with one button press or why zooming out zooms out in 5 steps but zooming in goes in one at a time and aaarrrggghhh

edit: And yeah, I'm starting from cubes

Okay, well maybe I can help a bit...

Yes, Maya's interface is basically a nightmare. It's very powerful, and very customization. It's easy to gently caress up your customization and then you have an interface that doesn't look like anyone else. They also recently just changed a bunch of the menus, so tutorials and stuff that are more than a year old will tell you things are under a different menu than they actually are.

Basic/crashcourse stuff. You're probably working with polygons. There are two types of objects you can make in Maya: polygonal objects, made of verts, edges, and faces, and NURBs objects, where are like, mathematically defined surfaces. You basically don't need to worry about NURBs poo poo at all, but I'm bringing it up because half of the tools in maya are for working with surfaces (meaning NURBs surfaces). These tools don't work and can't be used with polygons. So when you're looking for a tool, and you think you find it but it doesn't work or won't let you use it, there's a pretty good chance that's why.

For general maya poo poo, I recommend the official documentation, here is a link to an overview of the interface. From there you should be able to click around and find some getting started tutorials. My professor taught from this documentation in class. Like, this was his textbook. He gave us real assignments and showed us a bunch of hands-on stuff too, but this is a really good resource.

Extrude is the most powerful tool. I'm not sure what kind of stuff you're doing to make your gun, but one of the most important tricks my professor taught us was this: when you want to add detail to a region, extrude in. Not into the surface of the object, but on the quad itself. This gives you more faces in that area, while not adding more edges anywhere else in the model. Making edge loop slices through your whole model can be useful, but you don't want to do it to add localized detail.

I hope some of this is helpful :)

edit: oh right, for the actual workflow advice: the other most important thing my professor taught us was that understanding what you're trying to make and how you're trying to make it is the hard part. Until you are doing fine detail work, roughing out a model should be quick once you know what you're doing. So if you aren't happy with how it's going, deleting it and starting over is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Roughing out a shape with extrusion, and then adding detail with addition edge cuts and extrusions goes very quickly once you get the hang of it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 23, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cardboard Box A posted:

Now coming to PC

I thought the entire point of Destiny was to wear cool helmets but those folks are bareheaded. 3/10

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Destiny is bland and devoid of fun and content even as complete collection.

I own both PS4 and Xbone versions, trust me.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hearing people say "Vidcon" repeatedly in Mass Effect Andromeda only added to the humor there.

It's funny that sci-fi writers in video games keep thinking future humans will start calling everything "Vids" when IRL alot of people still just call movies/tv shows movies/shows even when streaming is prevalent

Kinda like people who still use Nintendos for everything

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

too bad planetside 2 died again. that was fun

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Thank you. I'll keep at it. What's bothering me the most about it I think is that there are a million different popup windows that come up when you use any of the tools and so I have to look up what everything means so I don't screw anything up by changing a single number. Also I really really hate that everything uses a different mouse button and no two tools use the same mouse buttons for the same functionality

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mordja posted:

I thought the entire point of Destiny was to wear cool helmets but those folks are bareheaded. 3/10

The Destiny commercials that used Immigrant Song made it seem cooler than it actually was

Serf
May 5, 2011

I loved Destiny. The aesthetic was up my alley and the actual shooting part of the game is top-notch. The controls are smooth and tight, and it just feels fun to play. Plus the dungeons were pretty cool and only got better as time went on. Collecting loot is always fun, so that added to the experience. The only letdown was the story, in that it didn't exist for the most part. I read lots of the trading card things and that was cool, but they should've had a stronger narrative in the actual game, not in some companion app.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Destiny good

The first one is kind of unappealing to buy because you have the base game then I think like 3 or 4 expansions

It's one of those games that starts out clumsily but if it gets its hooks in you'll never put it down. They keep denying it's an MMO but it's very much like them in that respect.

As an RPG it's kinda crap, there is effectively no campaign structure (just a series of missions you play in order and loot collection processes that unfold over days or weeks) and skimpy customization/character building. Some of this is due to the weird hybrid of RPG, competitive FPS, and ritualized MMO repetition and some of it is just bad execution. The expansions greatly improve on this if you decide to stay in for the long haul.

The main thing it has going for it is that the raw shooting is the best console FPS experience around, period. It's the latest evolution of control scheme, feel, and rhythm that Bungie has been working on for 15 years and everything about aiming, shooting, moving, etc is more or less perfect.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Thank you. I'll keep at it. What's bothering me the most about it I think is that there are a million different popup windows that come up when you use any of the tools and so I have to look up what everything means so I don't screw anything up by changing a single number. Also I really really hate that everything uses a different mouse button and no two tools use the same mouse buttons for the same functionality

There are some things that seem obtuse at first and eventually make sense, and some things that just don't make sense.

One of the few toolbars/windows you want to pay attention to is called the "construction history". It's where you can go to gently caress with poo poo retroactively. It's really powerful.

Also remember that (almost) everything you can gently caress with by dragging the mouse has an equivalent entry field somewhere, so if you want to be precise, hunt down that field and type in the exact value you want. And again, with construction history, you can often go back and fix things after the fact, depending on what you did after it. poo poo gets really weird if you've done extrusions from something and then try to go back and change the number of starting faces, lol. But it's still a powerful tool.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This Maya video game doesn't sound very fun.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Kingdom Hearts is an Action RPG because the combat is action based not turned based.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CJacobs posted:

You need to follow some video tutorials created specifically for your software. Maya is an incredibly robust software that allows for different approaches and ways to model things, different people prefer different functions to achieve similar result. At first you have to learn what everything does but you'll end up actually using just a small % of what you see on the screen right now.

There's really no shortcut you can take here, you need to put in dozens of hours of work into things that will look like absolute garbage at first. Each 3D program differs enough to have its own workflow and then you'll have different workflows for different types of objects and even different workflows for different types of uses of the object.

For example as part of my job I create 3D architectural models and there's a different workflow I have when I model things for visualization purposes and a different workflow when I actually design a building. I could not tell you what workflow is good for working on 3D assets for games or 3D models for film or 3D models for still images because all of them differ so much from one another and from what I do.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Name even a single bad video game, I dare you

Dota 2

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Regy Rusty posted:

It's the worst ARPG I've ever played!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Destiny good

No

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Destiny good

The setting is interesting and the shooting feels very good. I also think they did a pretty good job keeping loot interesting because guns tend to feel unique and exotic equipment usually has something cool and unique it lets you do. It's nice when loot isn't just about numbers...

...until it is. Once you're max level I think Destiny really burns out unless you loving love watching a number go up. Your item level (called Light) is everything once you're at max level, and the number of dungeons and activities you can do to get gear to increase it is really limited, and they're not good about adding more. The raids they've made are well-designed, but like any MMO, it ultimately just becomes about repeating the same thing until the developer releases a new thing. Bungie has put out expansions with new content rather than having too many free content updates, which is fair if you're not charging a subscription fee, but with one exception I think they've all been really anemic. The open explorable areas are also really small and there aren't many of them.

I'd like Destiny 2 to be good but Bungie has been nothing but rewarded for the way they ran Destiny so I kinda doubt it'll be much more than more of the same but with better graphics.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 23, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh and also there are the raids, which require a big upfront commitment of not only building a character but also marshaling 6 friends or internet randos - no matchmaking - but once you get in them are sort of collective real-time puzzle solving and choreography challenges which no other FPS has anything remotely approaching and make all the rest of the game worthwhile (subjectively, for a lot of people).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know nothing about destiny but i've always been under the impression that it was 50% halo and 50% borderlands which to me is kind of like saying it's 50% a turd and 50% a poop

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

Oh and also there are the raids, which require a big upfront commitment of not only building a character but also marshaling 6 friends or internet randos - no matchmaking - but once you get in them are sort of collective real-time puzzle solving and choreography challenges which no other FPS has anything remotely approaching and make all the rest of the game worthwhile (subjectively, for a lot of people).

Yeah, I actually think the raids are cool and well-designed. It's everything around them that I think falls flat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not really anything like Borderlands other than being an FPS that has loot

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

It's not really anything like Borderlands other than being an FPS that has loot

and i'm out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you think about it, isn't 2016 DOOM an FPS that has loot? 🤔

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It has items not loot.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you think about it, isn't 2016 DOOM an FPS that has loot? 🤔

no

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
When I played it was 50% Halo and 50% 2005 era WoW

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

Meanwhile, No Man's Sky is only 2 GB!!

It's actually up to like 7-8 gig now with the two massive updates.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-03-23-playtonic-removes-controversial-youtuber-jontron-from-yooka-laylee

Hey, excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Very nice. Playtonic are good people

• Locked thread