Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Turns out if you get knocked off the edge in just the right way you'll float on the edge for a second, rotate 180 degrees while laying down, start rapidly moving up and down so it looks like you're humping the air, then finally die and have your corpse ragdoll catapult itself into the sky. Kind of wish I had been using Shadowplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Oh man, centurion and ninja move the gently caress over, it's HIGHLANDER time

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Yardbomb posted:

Oh man, centurion and ninja move the gently caress over, it's HIGHLANDER time

Are these guys going to be the third character that carries a big sword? Hmmm. I guess there's more than one way to swing a blade.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

These guys are gonna carry a big sword, which the Warden and (especially) Kensei already do. Hmmm. I guess there's more than one way to swing a blade.

I'm hoping it'll be a more brawny kind of chopping this guy'll do if that makes any sense.

Warden's got his longsword which he does your usual knightly swordin with, kensei has the big doofy nodachi to samurai it up, the both of them are a bit more fancy than a big ole :scotland: with a claymore.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I really hope they get some ancient Chinese dudes in eventually. Playing that tiger knight game introduced me to all sorts of zany rear end weapons and armor (no idea if it is real, probably no 3 headed halberds)

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Man, nuts to all those other characters, I want to play as those sick skeletons.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Captain Beans posted:

I really hope they get some ancient Chinese dudes in eventually. Playing that tiger knight game introduced me to all sorts of zany rear end weapons and armor (no idea if it is real, probably no 3 headed halberds)

As a Raider player I embrace Guan Yu's ascent

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Are these guys going to be the third character that carries a big sword? Hmmm. I guess there's more than one way to swing a blade.

It's a bit of a stretch, but the screenshot makes it look like he's wearing his weapon at his hip, and if you squint the thing near his back sorta looks like the ragged edge of a shield. Since many of the classes are loosely patterned after (pop-)historical archetypes and he's called "gaelic warrior", I could see him as a Rob Roy-kinda guy with a small shield and a longish chunky broadsword.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

This thing still full priced everywhere?

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

flashman posted:

This thing still full priced everywhere?

Pretty sure there is a steam sale going on right now for it. Ubisoft weekend or something

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is this game good and worth $50? Does $50 get the 12 classes mentioned in the OP, or would I need to shell out another $30 for those? The Season Pass thing confuses me.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Is this game good and worth $50? Does $50 get the 12 classes mentioned in the OP, or would I need to shell out another $30 for those? The Season Pass thing confuses me.

Maybe. Yes. No. Don't worry about it just give Ubisoft all your money.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ynglaur posted:

No, the game is worth about 20 dollars.

The good news: the base combat system is really really good. Feels good to use, is novel, has interesting mechanics, has depth.

Bad news: The single player content is largely bot matches in recycled maps from multiplayer + unique levels and setpieces that aren't actually very good. The story is extremely bland, nobody is interesting, and the cutscenes are dull. If you buy this game you are buying it for the multiplayer which is priced and handled like a free to play game. If you play the "bigger" (4v4) gamemodes you will be put into matches against people with far better Gear (like RPG items that lets them hit harder or activate certain modes more or shortens their cooldowns) and are encouraged to buy boosts and items to get you up to par with them.

The game also has bad connection issues although they have been improving.

I have to stress that this game's economy is really, really bad. Like, I've played actual F2P games that are more generous with cosmetic unlocks than this game. HOWEVER in the game's defense 2 of the game's modes (a 1v1 duel and a 2v2 brawl) DO NOT use this Gear at all. So if you have a friend or 3 or just want to treat this as an extremely stripped down fighting game and aren't tempted to buy any of the cool cosmetics and emotes, you will have a lot of fun and this is a great game. But still: 2 modes, 12 characters, that's 20 bucks IMO.

Also, right now, the characters are fairly unbalanced and there are a handful that just dominate with extremely simple strategies and another handful that are pretty crazy in specific situations but are ineffective outside of them.

You get the 12 base classes included. However 9 of them are "partially locked" in the sense that you can't put any of that Gear that I mentioned earlier on them. You can unlock them by paying in-game currency. If you do the game's tutorials you have enough currency to unlock all of them. Of course they still remain "soft locked" in the sense that they are not Geared, which means disadvantages in those 4v4 modes. It takes about 20 hours of play to get them Geared and you will also have to do Daily Orders to earn enough currency to do so, which frequently force you to play a game mode you don't like with a character you might not enjoy and also to do repetitive actions like killing mooks. This is because they have designed the game around making the currency annoying to get, hoping that you will buy it with real money. (again this can all be avoided by only playing in 1v1 and 2v2 modes)

There are going to be 6 characters unlocked over the following 9 months, they are going to cost A LOT of that currency each, the season pass unlocks them early for you without paying. It also will include an Elite Outfit for those characters as well as 30 days of Vanguard Mode which is basically your typical F2P booster poo poo.

It probably sounds like I am down on the game but it's really quite good in the moment-to-moment gameplay. Just imagine a game that has a great central idea and then fucks up almost everything around it. That's For Honor.

Hope this helps.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 23, 2017

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Player counts are tanking pretty fast, I'll be impressed if it's still going for the second wave of characters, even the first.

I played Warlord and Berserker. Warlord was just rude, but berserker had basically one strategy that worked and if you said that you got poo poo on by berserker mains.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks Goons. I think I'll save my scratch and keep playing Shadow of Mordor for my fighty game. I see they added a bunch of cutscenes on Youtube, though, so maybe I'll watch those and :popcorn: while seeing if this goes the way of Evolve.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
this za glitch is really starting to get on my tits. And I'll never understand why they can't just half the attack power while in revenge and just throw it in a patch tomorrow, why should we wait for the "perfect balance" when they could make a small adjustment to help things out now? Just pick one from the list of all the things revenge gives you and remove one. Especially in this critical time of just post-launch.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mister Bup posted:

Player counts are tanking pretty fast, I'll be impressed if it's still going for the second wave of characters, even the first.

From here. Not sure how reliable these statistics are, but the ones on the Steam page show a steady downward trend as well. I kind of wish Ubisoft would just sell the game off to some other company so their grimy fingerprints aren't on it anymore, it's hard to think of a better game with a worse implementation than this one.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

It's a fighting game for us old and blind with generous frame times and blinking lights to tell us what to do.

I play it maybe three times a week now after the newness is gone and enjoy it that way. Though compared to Shadow of Mordor the game mechanics are like made by geniuses.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like if there isn't a good patch out by next week the game will be in pretty poor shape.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Judging by the pace of development I saw in the Alpha/Beta, it's going to be months before this stuff is resolved. I expect a big change included in their first season update (the one that adds the Centurion and Ninja)

I still think they can turn it around but it will not be in the short term.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Soft Shell Crab posted:

It's a fighting game for us old and blind with generous frame times and blinking lights to tell us what to do.

I play it maybe three times a week now after the newness is gone and enjoy it that way. Though compared to Shadow of Mordor the game mechanics are like made by geniuses.

Not for the color blind, though. The indicators are apparently loving horrible (surprise here) for color blind as the indicators are red and usually inside the character model. :downs:

edit: I had like 6 (random) rematches with the same people yesterday on PC and they were annoying as gently caress. I was honestly thinking of getting Wireshark and stopping outgoing/ingoing connections to those IPs. So my subjective experience that there's a population downturn.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 23, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm not concerned. PS4 still has solid pops and seeing a 75% drop a month out after a new console with a crazy popular launch title plus several other very good games and also Mass Effect, all released in that interim is really not surprising and pretty standard if not maybe a bit impressive that people are still playing with all that other poo poo going on.

They'll drop a huge patch with the content addition and if they're smart they'll include a ranked duel and brawl mode and it'll spike again, then drop to roughly the same levels and the hold steady until the holidays when it'll probably tank again.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Dessel posted:

The indicators are apparently loving horrible

I wish I could show a gif of a peacekeeper in revenge spamming the zone attack and the indicator lighting up on the left and right at the same time for a solid 5 seconds of spam, I knew it'd come from my right, but still.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm seriously just waiting for them to meaningfully rebalance things and I will dive back in. Game is fun as hell in essence.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have been playing Horizon Zero Dawn and so I haven't really cared about playing For Honor. There's a couple other big releases that have happened as well, though given the reactions from the usual suspects I don't think there's some massive overlap between the FH player base and people who'd enjoy HZD.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

I have been playing Horizon Zero Dawn and so I haven't really cared about playing For Honor. There's a couple other big releases that have happened as well, though given the reactions from the usual suspects I don't think there's some massive overlap between the FH player base and people who'd enjoy HZD.

There's nothing out there that really plays like this game. Chivalry and Dark Souls are probably the closest you can get, but both are still significantly different and if you want the kind of gameplay that For Honor offers there's no other option.

Big patches addressing the major issues would be good, but even some minor quality of life tweaks would go a long way. Until prestige 3 you're going to be scrapping everything you get, so it would be nice if when you got there you could use that scrap as an alternative way of buying crates or even specific pieces of gear. I've finally reached that point with Shugoki and it's still kind of tedious to get him geared out because daily quests will only get you one crate per day and the end of match rewards still tend to be blues the majority of the time. I don't even care about the 4v4 modes, I just want to finally get him looking good.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Shamelessly reposted, but nothing like a dev admitting outright they're quite happy loving the player base over mobile-game grinding style.

Whoops. :downsgun:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

I dunno, I mean I can give him the benefit of the doubt that he's just a bad designer

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

He might be saying "MOBA", it's hard to tell with that accent. Which is still silly because if a MOBA launched with 12 characters for 60 dollars it would be thrown down a well.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

From here. Not sure how reliable these statistics are, but the ones on the Steam page show a steady downward trend as well. I kind of wish Ubisoft would just sell the game off to some other company so their grimy fingerprints aren't on it anymore, it's hard to think of a better game with a worse implementation than this one.

i gave up trying to matchmake after 30 minutes last night

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

It's actually the "delight" that was the Jedi Academy/Outcast and to lesser degree the original Jedi Knight and their dueling scene that got me interested in this game at all. Yeah there was "an e-honor scene" present in those games but even though I mostly followed that I don't really let that affect what I do here or at least not get salty for someone breaking "my duel".

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

FunkMonkey posted:

I'm seriously just waiting for them to meaningfully rebalance things and I will dive back in. Game is fun as hell in essence.

Honestly if they just slowed down most zone attacks to heavy attack-speeds(and fixed their indicators) and gave a wider dodge-window against bash-moves, that would already cut out the majority of what usually frustrates me in a given match. If they then threw out gear effects for 4v4 modes (or at least removed any pertaining to revenge) and normalised guard-switch times on top of that and I'd barely have anything major left to bitch about. Sure, some heroes would still be in need of a right buffing (after playing her a bunch recently, Nobushi really seems to struggle at higher matchmaking ratings), but it'd drastically cut down on the issues that make you go "that's just bullshit!".

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There's nothing out there that really plays like this game. Chivalry and Dark Souls are probably the closest you can get, but both are still significantly different and if you want the kind of gameplay that For Honor offers there's no other option.

Big patches addressing the major issues would be good, but even some minor quality of life tweaks would go a long way. Until prestige 3 you're going to be scrapping everything you get, so it would be nice if when you got there you could use that scrap as an alternative way of buying crates or even specific pieces of gear. I've finally reached that point with Shugoki and it's still kind of tedious to get him geared out because daily quests will only get you one crate per day and the end of match rewards still tend to be blues the majority of the time. I don't even care about the 4v4 modes, I just want to finally get him looking good.

Oh yeah I don't mean the gameplay since FH is pretty novel and unique. It's just that, well, people who say "kek" would take issue with HZD for example.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Woof, that is a lot of dislikes on that video.
I'm guessing they disabled the comments on it later.

Looking at forums, people seem rather peeved at that dev stream saying the steel is working as intended and that they expect people to only be able to afford 1-3 characters without buying steel for money.
People aren't too happy with the confirmation that the newer characters are going to be in the 25,000 steel range either, doing a ton of orders and dailies since release and barely spending any steel on gear and none on cosmetics I'm still 7k short to afford more then two of the four coming out at that price range.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 24, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

People aren't too happy with the confirmation that the newer characters are going to be in the 25,000 steel range either, doing a ton of orders and dailies since release and barely spending any steel on gear and none on cosmetics I'm still 7k short to afford more then two of the four coming out at that price range.

Fuuuucccckkkkk that. I'm hanging on to this game because it's really good at its core despite all the problems that are dragging it down, but if the devs are really going to continue taking this sort of approach I can see dropping it. Helmet ornaments being several thousand steel is easy to overlook since it's nothing but dress-up. Locking functional content like new characters behind that much of a barrier in a game that's already $60 is ridiculous.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Oh. You're one of those people. :yikes:

Yeah I'm one of those people who get hard crashes and am unable to leave the game because it freezes and won't let me get to the main menu. Like with resync crashes, or when the entire game screen freezes, or when I'm stuck in matchmaking and it's been on joining for 10 minutes, or my screen goes blurry (though when that happens, I usually fight the game out and lose horribly, cause I hate quitting an already started match).

Captain Beans posted:

I have a hard time dodging the sweep with my lovely warden shuffle 'dodge'.

Do you have to dodge into it? Or backwards?

I've seen people dodge it with sideways dodges, though most do backwards dodges. Never seen someone dodge into it to punish, didn't even know that was possible.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Fuuuucccckkkkk that. I'm hanging on to this game because it's really good at its core despite all the problems that are dragging it down, but if the devs are really going to continue taking this sort of approach I can see dropping it. Helmet ornaments being several thousand steel is easy to overlook since it's nothing but dress-up. Locking functional content like new characters behind that much of a barrier in a game that's already $60 is ridiculous.

The new characters are meant to be premium content as part of the season pass, you really are meant to just buy them with real money. The steel cost is probably prohibitively high because of that. It was always going to be like that. It's ridiculous yes but to be fair they are releasing all the other content for free which is unlike the EA Battlefield games and whatever else where nobody plays the DLC modes which you pay good money for.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Yes, but the BF model is also utter poo poo

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I paid 60 bucks for this game but for some reason I gotta grind in order to be competitive in 4v4. I've played this game tons and have 3 characters to rep 1. If I don't I lose fights to anyone that has revenge gear, because they get it in 2-3 blocks. It's unfortunate for a game with such good core gameplay that they've hosed up literally every other aspect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Revenge Gear builds are utter wank, especially with the constant zone spam. But I stand by my original argument that facing off against max gear people as a low gear character isn't a death sentence. I regularly play Dominion with classes that aren't my main and manage to do alright. 1v1's are fine, it gets a bit more difficult when you're facing off against multiple opponents without the advantage having good gear grants you.

I played as a level 16 Valk today with level 8 gear, against Orochi, Lawbringer and Raider (2 had 80+ gear, Lawbringer had 108 gear). I was defending B and held them off for a solid minute, I even managed to kill Raider (from full HP) when I popped revenge and he got auto-thrown. I died in the end cause they clocked on to the fact I was decent, so they had one guy constantly grab me and the other just hit me, so I was hosed even if I tech'd the grab as it'd leave me wide open to attacks. It felt drat good when they all wrote "respect" in the chat afterwards though.

That being said, I agree that getting gear should be easier, and the grind should be removed. Paying 60 bucks for a game and having everything locked behind an insane grind is just outright ridiculous. The cosmetics are also nigh impossible to grind, cause the second you buy one cosmetic for 5000 steel, you've got another week of grinding ahead of you unless you nonstop binge. lovely tactic by Ubi just to get people to pay money for ingame items.

Can't blame em for pulling that poo poo, though. Rainbow Six is chock-full if retards who'll happily drop lots of cash on the game for some pointless cosmetics.