Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also the rest of congress is getting mad at the HFC - White House meetings lawl

https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/844947737661624320

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Any chance of reporting of the meeting while its in progress or at least some leaks?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also, you know how you can get 20-40% of the public to agree with literally anything, no matter how insane, as long as it's supported by one political party?

turns out republicans found the one thing that's not the case with

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/844945452059496448

for reference you could probably get 20% support, minimum, for "Donald trump paid prostitutes to pee on a bed Obama slept in, but it was videotaped by the KGB who is now using it to blackmail Trump. Do you approve of Trump's actions?"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

you can get 20% support for showing people pictures of Trump's inauguration and Obama's inauguration and asking if they agree Trump's had more people

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If this makes it into the Senate that number will go even further down as people have more time to digest just how terrible it is, especially after whatever poo poo the Freedom Caucus got.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

not directly relevant to if this is going to pass or not, but a hella good quote

https://twitter.com/jonward11/status/844923927042379776
https://twitter.com/jonward11/status/844924341200605184

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Any chance of reporting of the meeting while its in progress or at least some leaks?

It's not the meeting, but there's some reporting on the people who aren't in the meeting:
https://twitter.com/LisaMascaro/status/844951862386343937

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

eviltastic posted:

It's not the meeting, but there's some reporting on the people who aren't in the meeting:
https://twitter.com/LisaMascaro/status/844951862386343937

Does this mean that some of the HFC refused to go to the meeting?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does this mean that some of the HFC refused to go to the meeting?

I think it means that they do not believe that the HFC they're negotiating with can deliver the entire HFC, which you basically need now that you keep getting "moderate" defections. Also the linked tweet was:

https://twitter.com/DavidMDrucker/status/844951408856236034

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If they hold a vote and it fails that would be amazing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

you can get 20% support for showing people pictures of Trump's inauguration and Obama's inauguration and asking if they agree Trump's had more people

This is incredible.

I still can't believe "we have a secret healthcare plan, whatever it is you want, that's exactly it" loving worked for 6 years

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

VitalSigns posted:

This is incredible.

I still can't believe "we have a secret healthcare plan, whatever it is you want, that's exactly it" loving worked

holy poo poo

now that I think about it was the exact same trick Nixon pulled with his secret Vietnam War winning plan

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Typo posted:

holy poo poo

now that I think about it was the exact same trick Nixon pulled with his secret Vietnam War winning plan

Also colluding with a foreign power!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Typo posted:

holy poo poo

"Democrats are petulant children - let the adults run things and everything will be different!"

::Trump get elected::

::farts::

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

VitalSigns posted:

This is incredible.

I still can't believe "we have a secret healthcare plan, whatever it is you want, that's exactly it" loving worked for 6 years

It's bizarre watching some of my relatives talk politics. I remember one conservation involving about six people. A few were expressing honest exasperation and concern regarding Trump and these idiots would just repeat talking points while flaring out their arms and waggling their heads like it's a battle between whose culture has better equipped them to yell and assume dominant social-postures. Information, analysis, etc. doesn't exist to these people. They just want the strength of an authoritarian culture coursing through them.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

It's bizarre watching some of my relatives talk politics. Other people will be expressing honest exasperation and concern that the country's being destroyed and all these idiots can do is repeat talking points like it's a battle between whose culture has better equipped to yell and assume dominant social-postures. Information, analysis, etc. doesn't exist to these people. They just want the strength of an authoritarian culture coursing through them.

Are there any good books about Germans feeling like poo poo after World War II for what their country had done

I need a glimpse into our future

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
readsettlers.org

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HFC meeting sounds unproductive:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/844959545977901064

Bill may get delayed, sure sign they don't believe the votes are there and they probably believe they're not close:

https://twitter.com/MelMcIntire/status/844957824136425474

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They shouldn't be allowed to reschedule votes, that'd make the whole political process better

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
:lol: trying to bury the vote late Friday so it misses the media cycle

It won't pass and they know it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EugeneJ posted:

I don't really read that as trying to bury the vote. I read that as a desperate attempt to hope they can pass it with just a little more time. Everyone knows that this bill failing will be a week-long orgy of articles about how the bill failed, what it means for republicans, can paul ryan ever recover, are tax cuts dead, the genius of obama, etc, will 2018 be a bloodbath, etc. There's no getting away from it. Pushing it a day is just the hope that some more time will let them thread this needle.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

EugeneJ posted:

Poor bastard journalists work weekends these days.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

"I think there may be a vote very late tonight if we get some good news in writing, right? It's trust but verify up here," Brat said.
:lol:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I just can't see how a bill with a goddamn 17% approval rating as-is can possibly pass. That's guaranteed political suicide no matter what the "lol nothing matters embrace death" crowd thinks.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

I don't really read that as trying to bury the vote. I read that as a desperate attempt to hope they can pass it with just a little more time. Everyone knows that this bill failing will be a week-long orgy of articles about how the bill failed, what it means for republicans, can paul ryan ever recover, are tax cuts dead, the genius of obama, etc, will 2018 be a bloodbath, etc. There's no getting away from it. Pushing it a day is just the hope that some more time will let them thread this needle.

This vote has been built up pretty hard as being today, even rescheduling it is going to look like a defeat, because it is one. If it won't pass today there's no good reason to think it'll pass Friday.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I just can't see how a bill with a goddamn 17% approval rating as-is can possibly pass. That's guaranteed political suicide no matter what the "lol nothing matters embrace death" crowd thinks.

Because Congress, especially Republicans, do not represent the general public. They represent rich people and radicalized whackos and both those groups want this bill or more, either for tax cuts at any cost, or because they're insane.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

Jokes on them i get NYT app pushes all through the weekend

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Yeah that seems like admission that they don't have the votes.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sloober posted:

Jokes on them i get NYT app pushes all through the weekend

All the print editions have late Friday deadlines for their weekend editions (USA Today, etc.). Also if the stock market dips, they can blame it on something else happening over the weekend instead of a failing vote Thursday and the market plummeting on Friday.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
shots fired
https://twitter.com/AP/status/844964519847841793

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Burn, motherfuckers, burn.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

empty whippet box posted:

This vote has been built up pretty hard as being today, even rescheduling it is going to look like a defeat, because it is one. If it won't pass today there's no good reason to think it'll pass Friday.

I don't either. But assuming they don't have the votes they will take that 0.5% chance of a delay working because why the hell not, if you lose you aren't any more hosed and if that one in two hundred chance comes up that's huge for house leadership. But yes, delay means almost certainly dead, because if they were just a few votes short putting it on the floor might get those.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
If they don't have the votes, why doesn't Ryan just take the McConnell approach and rip off the bandaid? I get that it's a much bigger humiliation for him than McConnell, but the problem isn't going away.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Flip Yr Wig posted:

If they don't have the votes, why doesn't Ryan just take the McConnell approach and rip off the bandaid? I get that it's a much bigger humiliation for him than McConnell, but the problem isn't going away for him.

Ryan's real dumb and let himself be put in this position, but he thinks he's smart enough to find a way out of it (he ain't, there's no such answer)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Because Congress, especially Republicans, do not represent the general public. They represent rich people and radicalized whackos and both those groups want this bill or more, either for tax cuts at any cost, or because they're insane.

Also because people consistently rate all of Congress as a whole as trash but their personal representative as the good one.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

If they don't have the votes, why doesn't Ryan just take the McConnell approach and rip off the bandaid? I get that it's a much bigger humiliation for him than McConnell, but the problem isn't going away.

McConnell is much, much better at this than Ryan is and wouldn't have gotten himself in this situation to begin with. But Ryan has been flailing ever since his original plan - repeal, replace later - got torpedoed. He's been trying to recover ever since and has never found a way.

I think McConnell always knew this was likely a loser and stuck Ryan with the short end of the stick, and Ryan didn't realize it in time.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

haveblue posted:

Also because people consistently rate all of Congress as a whole as trash but their personal representative as the good one.

Good thing they're legalizing ISP-sales of browsing histories. Activists can start buying congressmen's records.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ryan's real dumb and let himself be put in this position, but he thinks he's smart enough to find a way out of it (he ain't, there's no such answer)

I can't decide whether I'm enjoying Ryan or Trump more in all this. Obviously Trump deserves so much more of an rear end-kicking than he'll ever receive, but there is just something about Ryan. I have this visceral disgust for the guy, like he's something I just saw crawl out of my sink.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

evilweasel posted:

But Ryan has been flailing ever since his original plan - repeal, replace later - got torpedoed. He's been trying to recover ever since and has never found a way.

Just so crazy to see this happen to the best policy thinker of his generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

All the print editions have late Friday deadlines for their weekend editions (USA Today, etc.). Also if the stock market dips, they can blame it on something else happening over the weekend instead of a failing vote Thursday and the market plummeting on Friday.

That just means trump won't see it