Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

We can all agree the Ewing lottery was rigged right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shear Modulus posted:

Of that I am 100% sure.

I don't actually believe it happens nowadays. Because there are so many people involved and all it takes is one person to leak it.

I 100% believe that Ewing draft was rigged as gently caress.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Only if we can all agree kings-lakers was rigged

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

All the owners would be in on it.

You don't think that Donald sterling would immediately have leaked that poo poo out once he was forced out?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paul Zuvella posted:

All the owners would be in on it.

You don't think that Donald sterling would immediately have leaked that poo poo out once he was forced out?

I mean at that stage it would be at a higher level than the Owners. Stern would totally have done that poo poo himself not telling anyone who he wasn't able to blackmail.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
when was the last time you splurged on some great underwear? c'mon.- a touching plea by Bill Simmons

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

All the loving owners couldn't even agree on the lottery reform because a bunch of them thought it would hurt them in the short term, and you're trying to tell me that guys like Cuban, Ballmer, and Vivek would be 100% cool with rigging things up so someone else could benefit? Ernst and Young would basically torpedo their firm's reputation for like no gain?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

All the loving owners couldn't even agree on the lottery reform because a bunch of them thought it would hurt them in the short term, and you're trying to tell me that guys like Cuban, Ballmer, and Vivek would be 100% cool with rigging things up so someone else could benefit? Ernst and Young would basically torpedo their firm's reputation for like no gain?

David Stern knows where all the bodies are buried.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

You can literally do this with any draft lottery.

I've been trying to find that recent yearly article where it shows how the lottery is rigged for any team that could potentially win it. It's great.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Actually, being involved with rigging a "fair" process with no evidence would be great for Ernst and Young's reputation with potential clients.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Once again, don't think it happens(outside of Ewing) buuuuuuuuuuut..............

quote:

During All-Star Weekend last month, NBPA executive director Billy Hunter and commissioner David Stern addressed the players as they do every year.

But this time Hunter painted a more negative picture, explaining how he couldn't tell the players that everything is currently well in the NBA. He also referenced how Oscar Robertson and Jerry West staged a protest at the 1964 All-Star Game. Hunter insisted the players had an obligation to participate in the game, but his speech made it clear that he wouldn't back down to Stern.

When Hunter was finished and handed the microphone to Stern, the commissioner began to list his resume and his anger was visible.

Stern then announced he knows where "the bodies are buried" in the NBA, according to witnesses.

“It was shocking,” said Derrick Rose. “I was taking off my gear, and when he said that, I just stopped and thought, ‘Whoa …’

“I couldn’t believe that he said it.”

Said another All-Star in the room, “I was shocked … just shocked.”

The moment turned into a galvanizing one for Hunter.

It was “probably the best Billy has been around us,” one veteran Eastern Conference All-Star said.

You don't think this stone cold motherfucker right here is capable of rigging a draft?

Dude was able to completely pin an entire gambling problem with Refs in the League on one dude.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dexo posted:

Dude was able to completely pin an entire gambling problem with Refs in the League on one dude.

He basically had the cooperation of everyone involved (league, media) because it was in everyone's best interest to bury the story. You're trying to tell me that Mark Cuban, a man who often publicly shits on the league or other teams, would be cool with rigging the lottery for Cleveland to win? Mark Cuban publicly called out the league for doing that Carl Landry/Marcus Thornton trade when they ran the team because it made the Hornets slightly more competitive against the Mavs.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

He basically had the cooperation of everyone involved (league, media) because it was in everyone's best interest to bury the story. You're trying to tell me that Mark Cuban, a man who often publicly shits on the league or other teams, would be cool with rigging the lottery for Cleveland to win? Mark Cuban publicly called out the league for doing that Carl Landry/Marcus Thornton trade when they ran the team because it made the Hornets slightly more competitive against the Mavs.

Why would Cuban have to know?

Keep in mind I'm only speaking in hypotheticals. As obviously this isn't true.

The only way this works if this is just Stern/Silver doing it with the security company, and since only those two are involved. The Security company isn't going to admit to it. And Stern isn't going to admit to it

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dexo posted:

Why would Cuban have to know?

Keep in mind I'm only speaking in hypotheticals. As obviously this isn't true.

The only way this works if this is just Stern/Silver doing it with the security company, and since only those two are involved. The Security company isn't going to admit to it. And Stern isn't going to admit to it

The actual ball drawing is done in the backroom and observed by journalists and other team representatives. You'd have to make the claim that the actual ball drawing machine is rigged, which while technically possible is starting to squirrel away from the "it's pretty straight forward actually" argument

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I can see it now.

Fortune 500 CFO: So you think you can help us with our financials? I have to warn you, we have some rather...unique internal accounting practices that can be hard to follow.

EY rep: I understand. Don't worry, we deal with similar problems all the time. You know the NBA draft? Well let's just say that EY's involvement isn't purely a branding exercise.

CFO: Say no more. You've got the contract.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/SeanCunningham/status/844778535902310400

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Whereas with the eweing draft it was just stern picking a envelope from a hopper.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I don't think the draft lotteries have been rigged but also lol if you think E&Y wouldn't go along with it if it were

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/844899752349253632

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That list is the most garbage thing I've ever seen.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hahahahahaha, this is 100x dumber than that Tyreke quote

euphronius posted:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

John McCain at #9 lol

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jota posted:

I don't think the draft lotteries have been rigged but also lol if you think E&Y wouldn't go along with it if it were

I don't think it's implausible that companies would do sneaky things, but I also think that companies work in their own self-interest and E&Y risking their reputation and ability to handle things like the Golden Globes for, uh, a payoff that would have to be small enough for the other owners not to look at and start squinting is not very plausible.

Basically, I think there just isn't enough in it for all the parties that need to be involved. If all 30 owners of the league were on board with Stern's plan and gave him the ok to shower E&Y with money to sabotage the machine, then sure, it's very possible that it could happen. But I don't think that you could get all 30 owners on board so the rest falls apart.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 23, 2017

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

Agreed. I think if someone was making an intentionally​ awful fake joke list it would still be better than that.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't think it's implausible that companies would do sneaky things, but I also think that companies work in their own self-interest and E&Y risking their reputation and ability to handle things like the Golden Globes for, uh, a payoff that would have to be small enough for the other owners not to look at and start squinting is not very plausible.

Basically, I think there just isn't enough in it for all the parties that need to be involved. If all 30 owners of the league were on board with Stern's plan and gave him the ok to shower E&Y with money to sabotage the machine, then sure, it's very possible that it could happen. But I don't think that you could get all 30 owners on board so the rest falls apart.

I specifically said I don't think the lottery is being rigged but I stand by laughing at the thought that E&Y would blow the whistle. The firm that was just fined by the SEC for a couple instances of violation​ of auditor independence and then fined by the SEC in another instance for audit failure where the company was committing fraud, E&Y thought there was a high chance the company would commit fraud before even taking on the client, and then E&Y "missed" it in their audits for years while raking in huge fees.

The main point of this is to laugh at E&Y.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lockback posted:

Miami isn't a particularly big basketball market. Its good, but not great. Cleveland was doing fine as well. The year before Lebron came (and they won the #1 pick) they were right smack in the middle in attendance in the NBA. Miami before Lebron was pretty comparable to Cleveland before Lebron in attendance as well.

I think the paranoia is pretty high when you you have to bend over backwards to think the NBA said "Hmm, we need to get star players into a market to grow the game. Boston? No. Philly? No. DC? No. I got it, CLEVELAND!"
Of the last few very big deal #1 pick prospects...

Davis goes to New Orleans
Oden goes to Portland
LeBron goes to Cleveland
Duncan goes to San Antonio
Shaq goes to Orlando

At the level where you can believe in a conspiracy for these cities you can believe them for all 30 teams. The LeBron lottery had that in spades, where people had their justifications for conspiracy talk for every team in the lottery. As if they wouldn't just put these guys on the Knicks and call it a day. People do the same thing every time for the NHL lottery when it has been equally non-sensical.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

any US politician being on that list is a loving joke.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Jota posted:

The main point of this is to laugh at E&Y.

Agreed

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Punkin Spunkin posted:

when was the last time you splurged on some great underwear? c'mon.- a touching plea by Bill Simmons

Once you go saxx you don't go back

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Of the last few very big deal #1 pick prospects...

Davis goes to New Orleans
Oden goes to Portland
LeBron goes to Cleveland
Duncan goes to San Antonio
Shaq goes to Orlando

At the level where you can believe in a conspiracy for these cities you can believe them for all 30 teams. The LeBron lottery had that in spades, where people had their justifications for conspiracy talk for every team in the lottery. As if they wouldn't just put these guys on the Knicks and call it a day. People do the same thing every time for the NHL lottery when it has been equally non-sensical.

Those teams were frequently the teams with the best odds. And your list only works if you ignore Rose to Chicago or Wall to DC or Griffin to LA or Iverson to Philly, all big names that went to big markets in recent years as well. Yes, if you go back to 1992 you can find big names that went to smaller markets, they do a draft every year.

Fast Luck posted:

I mean, there's been some coincidental NBA draft lotteries. For example, New Orleans winning the AD lottery while owned by the league right after the Chris Paul trade (13.7%), the Clippers/Kyrie pick hitting for the Cavs after LeBron left (2.8%), the Sixers winning in 2016 after firing Hinkie and hiring a Colangelo (25%, after missing during all the Hinkie years). The Cavs winning the Wiggins lottery was only 1.7% but the lottery was before the Heat lost the finals so I don't know if it can fit into a conspiracy narrative. Now I personally am too grounded/too much of a sheep to actually believe it's rigged but I did half-jokingly call the Sixers win last draft (of course that had the best odds of being right). Who would they rig it for this season? No obvious answer this time right? Throw the Sixers another win or would that redeem The Process too much?

Except the biggest % chance of success you can ever get is 25%, so every outcome is unlikely. There's been plenty of teams with new owners or storylines going on that didn't get a good pick. If Boston won the lottery in one of the latest years you'd probably have them in the list, but the fact that they haven't doesn't count as proof that its not rigged. So this is the ultimate example confirmation bias

Dexo posted:

I mean at that stage it would be at a higher level than the Owners. Stern would totally have done that poo poo himself not telling anyone who he wasn't able to blackmail.

The commissioner works for the owners, there is nothing higher than the owners of the league. If the owners thought the commissioner was screwing them over, that guy would lose his job. That's why Zogo saying the Sterling thing was swept under the rug is false, if they wanted it to go away they would have suspended him for 6 months and made him go to sensitivity training or some poo poo. Silver's actions were a huge risk and the exact opposite of a coverup. Removing one of your bosses for conduct was a ballsy move and the kind of thing that could have backfired and ruined his career if the other owners decided they didn't think the office should push them around like that.

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah, I'm good with this.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

David Stern forced the Raptors to draft Bargnani, his hand guided by Big Pasta.

It all makes sense now.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lockback posted:

Those teams were frequently the teams with the best odds. And your list only works if you ignore Rose to Chicago or Wall to DC or Griffin to LA or Iverson to Philly, all big names that went to big markets in recent years as well. Yes, if you go back to 1992 you can find big names that went to smaller markets, they do a draft every year.
I'm agreeing with you dude.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Drunk Canuck posted:

It all makes sense now.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I miss the Primo ads.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's hard to explain just how ubiquitous they were if you're not a Raptors fan. Every loving commercial break. Maybe multiple times. Bargnani's smiling face, saying exactly one word while woofing down pasta: Primo.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Drunk Canuck posted:

It all makes sense now.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lockback posted:

The commissioner works for the owners, there is nothing higher than the owners of the league. If the owners thought the commissioner was screwing them over, that guy would lose his job. That's why Zogo saying the Sterling thing was swept under the rug is false, if they wanted it to go away they would have suspended him for 6 months and made him go to sensitivity training or some poo poo. Silver's actions were a huge risk and the exact opposite of a coverup. Removing one of your bosses for conduct was a ballsy move and the kind of thing that could have backfired and ruined his career if the other owners decided they didn't think the office should push them around like that.

I agree that they didn't sweep the Sterling business under the rug, but forcing him out was definitely supported by the other owners because it was a PR coup for the league.

attackmole posted:

It's hard to explain just how ubiquitous they were if you're not a Raptors fan. Every loving commercial break. Maybe multiple times. Bargnani's smiling face, saying exactly one word while woofing down pasta: Primo.

Quick and nutritious

Simply delicious

Everyone knows

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I'm agreeing with you dude.

Ah, I thought you were saying all big-name #1 picks went to small cities because that makes more sense than going to the Knicks. My bad.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

I agree that they didn't sweep the Sterling business under the rug, but forcing him out was definitely supported by the other owners because it was a PR coup for the league.

It definitely was, but I promise behind the scenes the idea of being forced to give up a team you spent so much money on was an unsettling thought for most of the owners. The "easy" way would have been muzzling Sterling and waiting for it to go away. It was a good PR move, but it was also a ballsy one.

I recall a lot of talk about Silver making his announcement without having the full support of the owners yet, which (if true) was also ballsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Lockback posted:

It definitely was, but I promise behind the scenes the idea of being forced to give up a team you spent so much money on was an unsettling thought for most of the owners. The "easy" way would have been muzzling Sterling and waiting for it to go away. It was a good PR move, but it was also a ballsy one.

I recall a lot of talk about Silver making his announcement without having the full support of the owners yet, which (if true) was also ballsy.

Sterling spent jack poo poo on the Clippers. Bought them for $12.5m and then sat back and raked in the revenue sharing from all the other teams for the next 30 years.

• Locked thread