Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

and i must meme posted:

can someone explain the energy price thing
like are the companies just hoarding profits or what

Energy prices are going up so the best thing to do is take a look at EPC data when buying a home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

TinTower posted:

Attacker named as British citizen Khalid Masood, 52, from Kent.

I say we ban 52-year-olds from Kent until we can figure out what the hell is going on.

Apparently Southern Rail are just trying to keep Londoners safe

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

and i must meme posted:

basically yeah

The usual argument is "when we bought the gas/coal it was more expensive" but then they "forget" to lower or freeze prices.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
There are some great deals on energy out there, all paid for the saps who don't have time to spend on comparison websites. Go for dual fuel and direct debit to see your bills tumble by hundreds of pounds a year. You're welcome!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

and i must meme posted:

yes and Ofgem is a catastrophically weak regulator

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Jose posted:

can't we just invade saudi arabia instead its by far the most deserving of anywhere in the middle east

But then who would BAE sell billions of pounds of weapons to? Why do you hate job creators?

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Oh dear me posted:

Going to prison also costs the state and includes free meals and shelter. The proportion of women and the over-50s in prisons is rising, it's going to be the new Old People's Home.

Prison is horrible for a lot of different reasons and your life would have to be seriously poo poo for it to be worth it. Also your taste buds, you get three meals a day but they ain't good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Robot Mil posted:

Prison is horrible for a lot of different reasons and your life would have to be seriously poo poo for it to be worth it. Also your taste buds, you get three meals a day but they ain't good.

But enough about care homes?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

ThomasPaine posted:

So I'm seriously considering using my savings to buy a bunch of gold in anticipation of Brexit, because I think the pound it going to spiral. I have no experience doing this. Good/bad idea?

Financial advice on a comedy forum etc but I use an investment ISA. It's managed for me, free under £10,000 and has a return slightly higher than 0.00000001% that every other savings account has.

Alternatively, you could try Bitcoin or Ethereum, I hear they're rock-solid investments that are only ever going to go up :pseudo:

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Random Integer posted:

But then who would BAE sell billions of pounds of weapons to? Why do you hate job creators?

If we invaded Saudi BAE could arguably sell them even more weapons. Win win!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Apparently when we took back Piers Morgan we sent America Katie Hopkins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v1b-u3Y6tg

God she's a oval office.

(Sidenote: I can't tell if she's playing up her accent or it's a result of her medical stuff?)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Don't even give views/clicks.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Just buy gold ETFs

More liquid than actual gold

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Piers Morgan is a repulsive thing attempting to act human but Katie Hopkins somehow manages to one-up him on sheer detestability.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Random Integer posted:

Reminds of something I saw in a particularly atrocious Westminster Hall debate recently. The Labour right are absolutely subhuman.

Also in this debate - ISIS is apparently entirely Iran's fault.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Robot Mil posted:

Everyone I know over the age of 50 tells me prison is luxury actually, and that inmates are treated better than geriatrics in retirement homes, better than hotel living even. It must be true, because when have boomers ever been wrong about anything?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Random Integer posted:

An imminent invasion would create additional demand for weapons.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean depending on the prison and the home that might not be incorrect.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Pochoclo posted:

Piers Morgan is a repulsive thing attempting to act human but Katie Hopkins somehow manages to one-up him on sheer detestability.
I lasted about 10 seconds. I suppose really I should hear her out, after all you have to accept that your personal worldview is biased to yourself but i cant do it with that oval office, im just thinking of stabbing her in the head with mind forks the moment she starts yapping

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Renaissance Robot posted:

Everyone I know over the age of 50 tells me prison is luxury actually, and that inmates are treated better than geriatrics in retirement homes, better than hotel living even. It must be true, because when have boomers ever been wrong about anything?

As an immigrant, I demand my free mansion.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ask them where they served time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

If they really believed that prison was that luxurious then surely instead of saving for retirement they could just do some crimes.

They don't even have to be bad ones that result in direct harm to another person. They could grow some illegal plants, or buy and sell grey squirrels, or paint the orange bit on a toy gun black.

They could even do some ones that are bad but on balance not so bad, like go all Jesus Malverde and rob food trucks (maybe with their toy guns that they painted) and give the food to the hungry.

Or if they think the hungry are all scroungers then at least give it to are boys who are all homeless because they gave every immigrant a mansion.

Then call the Judge a oval office who's wearing the sheep he hosed as a hat while you're in the dock and bang, instant luxury hotel living. Or at least a valuable lesson.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

paint the orange bit on a toy gun black.

The orange bit on mine comes off if you point it at the floor, I am now slightly worried that constitutes constructive possession.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It's always bugged the hell out of me that the whole "prisons have better conditions than nursing homes" argument is used by people who think the solution in this theoretical situation is to reduce the quality of care in prisons instead of raising them in nursing homes.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Is it a crime if you paint the end of a real gun orange?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skinty McEdger posted:

It's always bugged the hell out of me that the whole "prisons have better conditions than nursing homes" argument is used by people who think the solution in this theoretical situation is to reduce the quality of care in prisons instead of raising them in nursing homes.

Ironically, the people who use that argument are generally close to the nursing home themselves.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skinty McEdger posted:

But they done bad things and should be thrown in a pit and given stale bread even if it increases costs and recidivism.

big scary monsters posted:

Is it a crime if you paint the end of a real gun orange?
I don't think it is as long as all your other paperwork is in order. It could constitute evidence of conspiracy if you were suspected of planning to use it to do crimes, but flare guns for use on boatchats are painted bright orange, and industrial shotguns for shot blasting kilns are often some bright safety yellow or machine tool green.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait there is a thing called an "industrial shotgun"?

E: Wait 2 someone has a job where they have to take an 8 gauge shotgun and shoot the inside of furnaces to "service" them?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

Wait there is a thing called an "industrial shotgun"?

E: Wait 2 someone has a job where they have to take an 8 gauge shotgun and shoot the inside of furnaces to "service" them?

I just learned about this and it looks like a thing the Terminator would wield.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
All goons join us for our weekly misery in #ukgoons (synirc if you are a big 1990s SADDO with an IRC client on your home-computer!!!)

crispix fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 23, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a vicar writing for the guardian?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

The orange bit on mine comes off if you point it at the floor
you should see a doctor about that

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

crispix posted:

All goons join us for our weekly misery in #ukgoons (synirc if you are a big 1990s SADDO with an IRC client on your home-computer!!!)

It seems to me we could reduce suicide by cancelling QT.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

First question on QT is a massive waste of time about whether or not we should discuss terrorist attacks.

Maybe if anyone ever had anything useful or insightful to say discussing them would be a good idea. The problem is no one ever says anything like that.

EDIT: At least someone did bring up the fact that the Tories are canonising the police force while cutting their budgets and crushing morale.

jabby fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 24, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

He's far from their most awful columnist. Think he came to some prominence after trying to help Occupy London when they were camping outside some church. Maybe it was St Pauls? I forget but he tried to accommodate the protesters as far as I remember

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

jabby posted:

EDIT: At least someone did bring up the fact that the Tories are canonising the police force while cutting their budgets and crushing morale.

They do have a weird trend going on of their PM's loving pigs.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/gracepetrie/status/845058455434133504
Who needs a guide to run people over?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A friend was giving me a lift back from the pub and he had QT on and I had a weird disconnect where I was agreeing with the Tory MP who was saying that sometimes we have to sit down with 'terrorists' in order to make peace and that peace is probably worth more than continuing war for the sake of vengeance. Particularly given that Hugo Rifkind was sharting on about saving Norman Tebbit's honour and burning all ex-SF members with white phosphorous or some poo poo.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

OwlFancier posted:

He was the chancellor at St Paul's when the occupy movement were there and resigned after it turned out responding to them in a Christian manner was wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jabby posted:

First question on QT is a massive waste of time about whether or not we should discuss terrorist attacks.

Maybe if anyone ever had anything useful or inciteful to say discussing them would be a good idea. The problem is no one ever says anything like that.

In my experience people usually have something inciteful to say about terror attacks.

• Locked thread