Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Several years ago I had a span where I drove off with the nozzle in my GAS HOLE three times in two months. For the third time I just drove back and left the hose by the pump without saying anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI-HK-npZvg

Australian dashcam footage. So many people not understanding the concept of lanes and which direction they should be traveling in those lanes.

Also "You silly person!"

The clip after that, just a casual "you're a fuckin' dickhead mate" :v:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

astrollinthepork posted:

Several years ago I had a span where I drove off with the nozzle in my GAS HOLE three times in two months. For the third time I just drove back and left the hose by the pump without saying anything.

how

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

astrollinthepork posted:

mods change my name to GASSHOLE

you probably cost them over a hundred bucks each time

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Am i the only one here who stands right beside the nozzle the entire time it's filling, and removes it immediately after it's done?

How packed is your schedule that you can't just stand there and sniff gas fumes for 3 minutes?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

Am i the only one here who stands right beside the nozzle the entire time it's filling, and removes it immediately after it's done?

How packed is your schedule that you can't just stand there and sniff gas fumes for 3 minutes?

i go and check my oil because it's a bmw and we still have to do that in TYOOL 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The clip after that, just a casual "you're a fuckin' dickhead mate" :v:

Less "oval office"'s than I was expecting. It appears that dickhead is a really popular Australian insult

And on top of Australian roadways looking like a confusing hell to navigate, there's waaay more handbrake ratchet noises than I'd ever expect

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Powershift posted:

I had no idea doing otherwise was an option! The only time I don't stand right by the filler is if my windshield is so filthy that the filthy gas station squeegee will actually be an improvement.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Australian dashcam footage. So many people not understanding the concept of lanes and which direction they should be traveling in those lanes.

Also "You silly person!"

The one at 5:41 is great for the anguished "eeerggghhhhhh!!!" and you can hear her pounding on the steering wheel :allears:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Powershift posted:

I don't. In these parts for some reason it is illegal to light up a cigarette next to a gas pump. So I watch next to the stack of propane tanks and firewood.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Powershift posted:

I usually punch my trip data into a Google docs spreadsheet while the pump is running. I've never forgotten to take the nozzle out though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They don't have latch-on nozzles here, so it's not an issue generally.

You can jam your filler cap etc in the handle to achieve the same effect, though.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

InitialDave posted:

They don't have latch-on nozzles here, so it's not an issue generally.

You can jam your filler cap etc in the handle to achieve the same effect, though.

99% of pumps dont have the latches here either and its poo poo loving RETARDED when its -20 and blowing loving snow and you have to stand there with your hand on the pump getting frostbite the entire time.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I stopped for gas somewhere on a trip and the pump was going really, really slow. It did have a latch, so i went in to get a snack or something because it was taking so long. Then just as I came back out gas started overflowing out. So I guess there is that as a reason to not have the latches, since most people will just wander off/not pay attention if it doesn't stop.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fun fact: in states that don't have latches on the gas pumps, using the filler cap to jam the handle open is usually explicitly illegal.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Fun fact: in states that don't have latches on the gas pumps, using the filler cap to jam the handle open is usually explicitly illegal.

Indeed. And if the station operator is paying attention they will turn the pump off on you

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

And what's the deal with short rear end fuel hoses. my filler hole is in the center of the car a foot off the ground, some stations i have to be drat near on the curb and hold the nozzle upside down to get it in.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Maybe they had to keep recrimping the hose every time astrollinthepork used it and it ended up really short

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Anyone here actually eaten a gas station hot dog or burrito?

And where the hell don't the nozzles have latches? NJ and Oregon excluded.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Off the top of my head, Massachusetts doesn't allow latches, nor do most Canadian provinces.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Colostomy Bag posted:

OR nozzles do have latches. They just happen to talk and get paid.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

No idea. Hasn't happened since though!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

TotalLossBrain posted:

OR nozzles do have latches. They just happen to talk and get paid.

NJ has latches too.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Colostomy Bag posted:

Most petrol stations here have a pie warmer, and a time on the front saying when they were put in. Good ones will have little squeeze packets of tomato sauce for free with a pie purchase. Avoid the Four'n'Twenty pies, affectionately known as rat coffins, and you'll be fine.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hot dogs yeah.

And I'll put gas station relish or cole slaw on it too.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Grew up in NJ and worked at a gas station all through high school.

The dogs are fine, it's the frozen microwavable burgers in plastic that were gutbombs.

Also NJ had latches. The big thing was for people coming in to grab :10bux: of gas, don't take their money til the end because they're way more likely to see the pump stop, think "I paid!" and just drive the gently caress off with the hose.

Only happened twice while I was on duty, and never to a car of mine. Those disconnects are pretty beefy and you can generally just pop em back together.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

I had a coworker who had a 7-11 egg salad sandwich every morning for breakfast.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I had a coworker who had a 7-11 egg salad sandwich every morning for breakfast.

This isn't a bad thing, assuming it's a Japanese 7-11 egg salad sandwich, and not a US one.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Sagebrush posted:

Off the top of my head, Massachusetts doesn't allow latches, nor do most Canadian provinces.

Mass does have them now. Started noticing them about a year back

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I'm glad edd left wheeler dealers. The last few seasons have not been particularly good.

"here is a ford bronco."
"oh the things need replacing
"here is the shell of a new bronco"
"ok we went ahead and replaced everything it took 3802 hours and we are done now here is the final product"

come on

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Petrol station food in Sweden is very passable. In fact, this post has given me a craving for Statoil's meatballs with mashed potatoes and lingonberries, I haven't had those since before Statoil changed its name to

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It seems to be about 50/50 in Orlando whether a given station will have handle locks or not. And it's infuriating when they don't, since I'm 6'5" and drive a Protege, so when I hold the handle I end up having to pull a Clarkson.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

Petrol station food in Sweden is very passable. In fact, this post has given me a craving for Statoil's meatballs with mashed potatoes and lingonberries, I haven't had those since before Statoil changed its name to

That combination of flags might just be terrible car stuff.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Wild EEPROM posted:

I'm glad edd left wheeler dealers. The last few seasons have not been particularly good.

"here is a ford bronco."
"oh the things need replacing
"here is the shell of a new bronco"
"ok we went ahead and replaced everything it took 3802 hours and we are done now here is the final product"

come on

I don't think that the recent producers understand the real appeal of the show: they seem to think that more people will want to watch if it is about flipping cars and making a few bucks.

They don't realise that for some of us, the high point is watching a rusty suspension being stripped down and rebuilt.

With Car SOS, I genuinely look forward to the bits where they repair vinyl seat covers

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

New York, of course they also say your not supposed to leave your car running and most everyone does it in the winter.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I have a shameful corn dog from OnCue more frequently than I'd care to admit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kwiktrip in Wisconsin has relatively legit food, they try to be a grocery store almost as much as they are a gas station.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Raluek posted:

That combination of flags might just be terrible car stuff.

Yep, it was a pretty big thing in the media.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MetaJew posted:

This isn't a bad thing, assuming it's a Japanese 7-11 egg salad sandwich, and not a US one.

Nope, it was a Canadian one. He had a Diet Coke with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Memento posted:

Four'n'Twenty pies, affectionately known as rat coffins

blackbird coffin, surely