Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
There is a market of samplers out there, Akai have been releasing a few recently and there's the Roland SP series, but most of them are pad grids rather than keyboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There were a couple of toy-like Casios (SK-1, SK-5) and Yamahas (VSS-30) in the eighties and nineties, yes. And the show may have referenced those.

More current (still out of production though) is the Korg microSampler.

If you don't mind the intermediary step of recording sound to an iPhone first, the Korg Volca Sample should be cheap enough to just gently caress around with.

Even cheaper is loving around with iPhone/iPad/Android apps, like Caustic or whatever.

Top of the line I'd name the Teenage Engineering OP-1.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
Gene's keyboard is something like a Casio SK-5. 4 short samples assigned to pads and I think one of those at a time assigned to the keyboard. It's not great quality, but they are fun to play with.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I got my cousin a Casio CTK2400 off eBay for Christmas, and it lets you sample stuff and play it back. His thank you email was a video of him playing Fur Elise with a sample of himself farting and a caption that I had just turned him into Gene Belcher. Not a bad gift for $30.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Uh, this is kind of a weird question, but this seems to be the place for it.

My brother is getting married soon and it seems possible that he unironically wants a keytar, so our bachelor party group is gonna split getting one for him and it'll probably be an amazing gift either way. I couldn't think of a better website to ask about this so does anyone have any experience with them or a recommendation on brand/model?

Other info: he's been pretty diligent in his practice with a semi-lovely yamaha keyboard that he's been using as an el-cheapo piano the last few years and we both have actual musical training from ~high school time so he'll probably be able to pick it up pretty fast. We're not looking top of the line but I think it'd be good to get one that isn't lovely too. Is this a reasonable thing to be looking for, a midrange keytar?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'm sure you'll find opinions on that in the synth thread.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm sure you'll find opinions on that in the synth thread.

Cheers, I'll go post there.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Got a guitar wiring question that I couldn't find a better place for.

I have a Yamaha SGV-800, with 2 single coils, each with its own volume knob, and a master tone knob. My goal is to install a master series/parallel switch such that with it disengaged, the 3-way behaves as normal, and when it is engaged, the two single-coil pickups are wired in series. I found the following diagram and have attempted to follow it, using a DPDT on-on toggle switch. However, since my guitar has two volume knobs instead of a master volume, I wired it using the + and - from the two volume knobs.

Once it's all together, with it disengaged it works like it did before, but with it engaged I only get output from the neck pickup.

As best I can tell there are two possibilities:

- I hosed up the wiring somewhere (likely, this is babby's first guitar wiring job)
- Something about the presence or grounding of the volume knobs is causing the bridge pickup to not be included in the series wiring.

But of course I don't completely know what I'm doing so there's plenty more that could be going on. Can anyone offer any insight?

donut fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 16, 2017

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

donut posted:

Got a guitar wiring question that I couldn't find a better place for.

I have a Yamaha SGV-800, with 2 single coils, each with its own volume knob, and a master tone knob. My goal is to install a master series/parallel switch such that with it disengaged, the 3-way behaves as normal, and when it is engaged, the two single-coil pickups are wired in series. I found the following diagram and have attempted to follow it, using a DPDT on-on toggle switch. However, since my guitar has two volume knobs instead of a master volume, I wired it using the + and - from the two volume knobs.

Once it's all together, with it disengaged it works like it did before, but with it engaged I only get output from the neck pickup.

As best I can tell there are two possibilities:

- I hosed up the wiring somewhere (likely, this is babby's first guitar wiring job)
- Something about the presence or grounding of the volume knobs is causing the bridge pickup to not be included in the series wiring.

But of course I don't completely know what I'm doing so there's plenty more that could be going on. Can anyone offer any insight?

Diagram looks okay, can you post a pic of the wiring job on the switch?

Edit: I'm pretty sure you've just failed to eliminate a ground on the neck pickup's wiring if you can check that before you go to the trouble of a pic. Its connection to that S/P switch has to be its only path to ground.

TheChaosPath fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 16, 2017

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I guess that sort of confirms my thoughts then. The neck volume pot is the one with the wire coming off it that goes to the bridge ground screw, which sounds like it would result in what you're suggesting is happening. And that would also explain why playing around with wires coming off the bridge PU and pot wasn't doing anything.

In the meantime I wound up talking to my dad, an EE PhD specializing in signal processing, wildly overqualified for this, and while he scoffed at this modification much as he did when I bought a tube amp and a germanium fuzz, he humored me. He pointed out that having two volume knobs in the series configuration would, instead of allowing me to fine tune how much of each pickup got added to the signal in series, would just put two volume controls on the same signal path, which is less exciting. Given that, I'm thinking I might just go with a single volume knob to simplify the circuit. This also means I won't have to put any extra holes in my pickguard which is nice given what an oddball this thing is. In the meantime I've put the guitar back to original so I can play around and decide if I'd be okay with sacrificing individual volume control.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

donut posted:

I guess that sort of confirms my thoughts then. The neck volume pot is the one with the wire coming off it that goes to the bridge ground screw, which sounds like it would result in what you're suggesting is happening. And that would also explain why playing around with wires coming off the bridge PU and pot wasn't doing anything.

Yeah in that case the bridge pickup is just grounded on both ends in the series position. Trying to get cute with volume pots is a drag anyway, I say go master volume and don't look back.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

So this morning I decided to go in and go master volume, but now my issue is no sound at all in series mode, only bridge PU in regular 3WS mode.

Click for fullsize

What have I screwed up here?

edit: in all the excitement, it would appear that the ground wire from the pickup broke. Well there it is then. Put a new wire in there and it's all good. Thanks for all your help!

donut fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 16, 2017

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
Is there any thread where I can ask for microphone recommendations (maybe this one?)? The general overview in the sticky was not really helpful for my use situation.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

FeastForCows posted:

Is there any thread where I can ask for microphone recommendations (maybe this one?)? The general overview in the sticky was not really helpful for my use situation.
What is that situation?

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

What is that situation?

Not as special as my post might have suggested, but I'm looking for a mic that I will mostly use for online voice chat while I'm gaming. At the same time though, if I already buy one anyway I would want to make use of it to record acoustic guitar and some vocal samples from time to time. I'm trying to stay between $100-150 and so far I've had my eye on the Audio-Technica AT2020.

Oh, and I would plug it into my Scarlett 2i2.

Edit: vvv Thank you both.

FeastForCows fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 9, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'd recommend asking in the Home Recording thread then anyway, but the AT2020 is definitely a good choice for what you want to do with it considering budget.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have an Audio-Technica AT2035 and I relly like it, the 20xx are all pretty similar I think, and I would for sure give it a thumbs up

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Not gear related, I hope this is ok, but has anyone used or heard of Distrokid? Glenn Fricker uses them, and while I trust his word on something like this, I'd love to know more from other people, especially goons, who don't have to sugarcoat anything.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Aight so here's an odd question that y'all can maybe help me with. My mom got this dvd from a live concert of her favorite band and the audio recording of the concert was never released on cd. So she goes " hey son you're good with computers and music stuff pls make it happen"

The obvious way to go about it for me would be to just play the drat thing on my pc and use audacity to record the audio into .wav files that I then can burn on a cd. However this is tedious and I hope that there's an easier way to do it in our glimmering high tech world

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Aight so here's an odd question that y'all can maybe help me with. My mom got this dvd from a live concert of her favorite band and the audio recording of the concert was never released on cd. So she goes " hey son you're good with computers and music stuff pls make it happen"

The obvious way to go about it for me would be to just play the drat thing on my pc and use audacity to record the audio into .wav files that I then can burn on a cd. However this is tedious and I hope that there's an easier way to do it in our glimmering high tech world

http://www.wikihow.com/Rip-DVD-Audio-to-MP3-Using-VLC-Media-Player

Do everything but the mp3 option, make it .wav instead. That way, there's no unnecessary compression involved.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

http://www.wikihow.com/Rip-DVD-Audio-to-MP3-Using-VLC-Media-Player

Do everything but the mp3 option, make it .wav instead. That way, there's no unnecessary compression involved.
Eughh. No unnecessary compression?

You can just use VLC to rip the audio straight from the disc to wav.

e: Like this if you need guidance.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 17, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Eughh. No unnecessary compression?

You can just use VLC to rip the audio straight from the disc to wav.

e: Like this if you need guidance.

Ah, I actually wasn't aware that VLC did that directly! Neat! And I was just referring to taking the audio, bringing it down to mp3 quality, and then burning it onto a cd as a track anyway. Why not just use .wav instead, you know?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Ah, I actually wasn't aware that VLC did that directly! Neat! And I was just referring to taking the audio, bringing it down to mp3 quality, and then burning it onto a cd as a track anyway. Why not just use .wav instead, you know?
By the time you're worrying about pristine wav quality, you've already converted it to 160kbps AAC for no reason whatsoever!

I'm just mad at the moron who wrote that how-to, mind you. The disc tab is even in the screenshot of VLC!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Oh wow that's a lot more clean and efficient than I expected! Thanks for the heads up

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If you all had to make a seamless loop of some background ambiance from a sound effect (raw audio file, not midi), what would be your preferred method?

At my previous job, I was able to use Sony Sound Forge 9 to easily create a sample that would automatically crossfade in and out the audio that came before and after whatever time selection I had made. For the life of me, I can't find a way to quickly perform this task with either Reaper, Audacity, or Logic 9. Any tips?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

If you all had to make a seamless loop of some background ambiance from a sound effect (raw audio file, not midi), what would be your preferred method?

At my previous job, I was able to use Sony Sound Forge 9 to easily create a sample that would automatically crossfade in and out the audio that came before and after whatever time selection I had made. For the life of me, I can't find a way to quickly perform this task with either Reaper, Audacity, or Logic 9. Any tips?
Two leads for Reaper, depending on what you're looking for.

Edit: Like, is this what you want to happen?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjGDW4wVkEQ

How to get that script

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 21, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Two leads for Reaper, depending on what you're looking for.

Edit: Like, is this what you want to happen?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjGDW4wVkEQ

How to get that script

Thanks a ton for this! That first link doesn't seem to work (The method, I mean... not the link). Going to try the ReaScript one today.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sorry about the ambiguous formatting, but there are different links behind either word in "two leads", if you didn't notice. The first one points to some native reaper functionality, which is not all that convenient, but should work, I'd expect.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Sorry about the ambiguous formatting, but there are different links behind either word in "two leads", if you didn't notice. The first one points to some native reaper functionality, which is not all that convenient, but should work, I'd expect.

No, I got that, and followed the steps, but it's not quite working, and I'm not sure why. Regardless, I'm about to take a crack at using the ReaScript option. Thanks again! :toot:

EDIT: Aaaaand that did it, perfectly. Wow, incredible. I wish I hadn't had to bump out CTRL+L to get it done, but that's ok. This is now even easier than it was in SF9, and it was pretty drat easy there.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 21, 2017

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
This may not be the best place to ask this, but whatever. This has bothered me for 15 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLDvl9qee9E

What rhythm is this? It sounds like swing eighths, but not really. Am I mishearing normal swing eighths as something off time?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
It kind of seems like a tempo thing like he's slower in some parts, but he could be playing the swings differently, sometimes a little square and other times with more swing. Swing notes kind of fall all over the place depending on the style from slightly off straight eighths to triplet swing to 16th note swing.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Weird BIAS posted:

It kind of seems like a tempo thing like he's slower in some parts, but he could be playing the swings differently, sometimes a little square and other times with more swing. Swing notes kind of fall all over the place depending on the style from slightly off straight eighths to triplet swing to 16th note swing.

I am happy to know that I wasn't hearing things.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah, he's also usually emphasizing the downbeats on 2 and 4 instead of the offbeats. Like in regular swing, you'd emphasize the offbeat eighths, like doo BA doo BA doo BA etc. But he's going more doo ba DOO ba doo ba DOO like making it a weird combination of heavy swing and rock and roll.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I've been building some miscellaneous roots instruments, canjos, diddley bows, that kind of thing. I have no idea if anybody on here has any experience with this, or if I ought to take it to DIY, but I'm wondering if a 1"*3/4" section of red oak or maple will be thick enough to support the tension of two strings tuned D A like the bottom of a set of electric guitar 9s.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Agrinja posted:

I've been building some miscellaneous roots instruments, canjos, diddley bows, that kind of thing. I have no idea if anybody on here has any experience with this, or if I ought to take it to DIY, but I'm wondering if a 1"*3/4" section of red oak or maple will be thick enough to support the tension of two strings tuned D A like the bottom of a set of electric guitar 9s.

I run a small business building and selling CBGs and other weird roots instruments, so I have some experience with this.

The answer, of course, is "It depends". On a whole bunch of things, really. The pressure that it puts on the neck will eventually cause bowing, but if you're just looking to make a quick instrument, it'll hold up fine. You can improve the resistance to bending by adding a fretboard made from stiffer wood (helps to combat bowing by strengthening the neck), paying attention to bridge height and neck angle so the tension is relatively even, and orienting the board so that any bowing is reversed from the eventual string tension - basically, if it bows slightly, you want the hump in the middle facing up towards the strings.

It's a fun hobby, and I learn stuff with every instrument. Some of my early 4-stringers are basically bows right now, so don't expect eternal survival, but I've used 1.5" wood for those necks and had it turn out fine.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Hedningen posted:

I run a small business building and selling CBGs and other weird roots instruments, so I have some experience with this.

The answer, of course, is "It depends". On a whole bunch of things, really. The pressure that it puts on the neck will eventually cause bowing, but if you're just looking to make a quick instrument, it'll hold up fine. You can improve the resistance to bending by adding a fretboard made from stiffer wood (helps to combat bowing by strengthening the neck), paying attention to bridge height and neck angle so the tension is relatively even, and orienting the board so that any bowing is reversed from the eventual string tension - basically, if it bows slightly, you want the hump in the middle facing up towards the strings.

It's a fun hobby, and I learn stuff with every instrument. Some of my early 4-stringers are basically bows right now, so don't expect eternal survival, but I've used 1.5" wood for those necks and had it turn out fine.

That's about what I thought. As is, I'm trying to figure out some reasonably attractive ways to reinforce the neck without access to my router, hypothetically I have a good bit of tools but for quite some time I only have access to saws and chisels. I'm unworried about a little bowing as I'm more or less intending this to be a fancy unfretted diddley bow, just with two strings, but in the long run I'd rather it not turn into a C shape. However, as I've put some work into the overall outward design, I do want it to last. I'm doing a 24" scale on a body/neck that's roughly 33" long.

Any advice for a possible reinforcement, there? While hypothetically I could do the more classic plank design, I'm attempting to do something that will be comfortable in the lap as well as put upright. I've done some cardboard mockups, the shape feels right. As is, best overall material I can easily get a hold of is a 1"x8" bit of red oak that is straight and knot free. I've knocked around the idea of screwing a piece of mild steel flat bar to the top of the neck, or more attractively doing something like chiseling a long, shallow groove and epoxying it in there.

Agrinja fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 9, 2017

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Agrinja posted:

That's about what I thought. As is, I'm trying to figure out some reasonably attractive ways to reinforce the neck without access to my router, hypothetically I have a good bit of tools but for quite some time I only have access to saws and chisels. I'm unworried about a little bowing as I'm more or less intending this to be a fancy unfretted diddley bow, just with two strings, but in the long run I'd rather it not turn into a C shape. However, as I've put some work into the overall outward design, I do want it to last. I'm doing a 24" scale on a body/neck that's roughly 33" long.

Any advice for a possible reinforcement, there? While hypothetically I could do the more classic plank design, I'm attempting to do something that will be comfortable in the lap as well as put upright. I've done some cardboard mockups, the shape feels right. As is, best overall material I can easily get a hold of is a 1"x8" bit of red oak that is straight and knot free. I've knocked around the idea of screwing a piece of mild steel flat bar to the top of the neck, or more attractively doing something like chiseling a long, shallow groove and epoxying it in there.

Theoretically, you could do a laminate neck, especially if you're going to add a fretboard. It can be a lot more work, especially if you're limited to hand tools for the foreseeable future. Basically, by making sure you've got some cross-grain going on, you can put together an overall stronger piece of wood.

A lot can depend on string gauge and tension. Figure out the lowest tension you can get, and it'll reduce the bowing.

If you're going the metal reinforcement route, that might work. I've never done it (apart from truss rods), but it could work.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Hedningen posted:

Theoretically, you could do a laminate neck, especially if you're going to add a fretboard. It can be a lot more work, especially if you're limited to hand tools for the foreseeable future. Basically, by making sure you've got some cross-grain going on, you can put together an overall stronger piece of wood.

A lot can depend on string gauge and tension. Figure out the lowest tension you can get, and it'll reduce the bowing.

If you're going the metal reinforcement route, that might work. I've never done it (apart from truss rods), but it could work.

Alrighty, thank you. I'll probably wind up posting a thread when I get moving on this, we'll have to see how it goes, I'm trying a few ideas out in sketchup.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Key player here. Any recommendations for a budget solution on quality brass ensemble sounds for live performance? I need it for covers of stuff like Earth, Wind, and Fire or Huey Lewis and the News. It seems to be a tough nut to crack. Just wondering if anyone knows of any old gear or software ideas that won't break the bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Not sure if they pass the quality bar but have you looked at Roland romplers from the 90s? JV-1080/1010s (or the XV series). The JV-1010 is a nice little half rack, works great with MIDI, tons of built in pre-sets in that direction and I think they make some expansion cards too. The Orchestral one gets good reviews even now for string samples, and it wouldn't surprise me if there were usable brass stuff there too.

They're good for the 90s... but that might not be good enough for now.