Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ryan's real dumb and let himself be put in this position, but he thinks he's smart enough to find a way out of it (he ain't, there's no such answer)

I think it's less that he thinks he's smart enough to find a way out, and more that he's now desperate. Desperate people do stupid things, and at the end of the day ripping the bandaid off any faster isn't going to help Ryan. He might as well take every long-shot chance he can get because failure is going to be so devastating that it doesn't really matter if he ameliorates it a little.

Assuming he can't get the votes, there is just no good option. Not voting on the bill destroys Republican credibility with their base. Absolutely destroys it. They asked for, and got, control of the government and can't even hold a vote. But holding a vote is just as bad. It will destroy anyone who votes in favor of it in 2018 who hails from any district less than like, 65% republican. This bill has 40% approval among GOP voters. You could not have a bigger millstone around your vulnerable and "only vulnerable in a wave" members if you tried. And those congressmen who don't take the bait and vote against it? Well, they may get primaried. They may lose because their dead-ender base is furious and won't turn out. There's just no good outs here for Ryan.

McConnell has the best Senate map he could possibly dream of. To lose the Senate in 2018 Texas would need to elect a Democrat. He can afford these consequences. Ryan can't. So McConnell can just minimize the damage and ride out the storm and hope people vote based on something else in 2020, while hoping some other SCOTUS judge dies while he still controls the Senate. He doesn't care about the House, they'll pass their tax cuts, then be done with legislating for a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

mdemone posted:

I can't decide whether I'm enjoying Ryan or Trump more in all this. Obviously Trump deserves so much more of an rear end-kicking than he'll ever receive, but there is just something about Ryan. I have this visceral disgust for the guy, like he's something I just saw crawl out of my sink.

I don't think Trump understands what a gently caress up this all is, and I don't think he'd care if he did. Ryan, on the other hand, is radiating panic. If it didn't have a small chance of passing, it would all be quite entertaining, but we all learned not to gloat before the vote.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/844970082946158597

lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GOD BLESS THE FREEDOM CAUCUS

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/844969330316062722

sting, little scorpions, sting

"oh, you'll give into our demands? uh, now we have more"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Yessss ha ha ha. I'll hold my unrestrained glee until it actually DOESN'T clear the House, though.

Also this is putting into stark relief how loving evil/vampiric the HFC is ha ha ha

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I don't think Trump understands what a gently caress up this all is, and I don't think he'd care if he did. Ryan, on the other hand, is radiating panic. If it didn't have a small chance of passing, it would all be quite entertaining, but we all learned not to gloat before the vote.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/844971757689823233

that is lower than W post-katrina

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
how the hell was he at 50-50 before

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol the freedom caucus keeps on giving

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/844972213619118080

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Craig K posted:

iirc polling only "likely voters" (most approval ratings are all adults) along with the usual rassmussen house effect

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Craig K posted:

It's Rasmussen, they have at least a +3 R slant. So this is even worse than it looks.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"Nancy Pelosi said it's a rookie mistake to schedule a vote before you have a consensus. How do you respond to that?"

"I........thank you."

lmfao

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Haha the expert deal making ability of Trump everyone.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/844972862154948608

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If they delay the vote too long, people will have time to read what's in it

Can't have that, so they'll have to change it again before the vote

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Im here for the lulz if they wont vote on the bill.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

They're bugeyed blood-crazed inhuman maniacs lol

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Reporter: "What's the backup plan if it doesn't pass tonight?"

Spicer: "It's gonna pass! That's it!"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

evilweasel posted:

GOD BLESS THE FREEDOM CAUCUS

It's not over yet. There's still time to poison them with polonium.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Accretionist posted:

It's not over yet. There's still time to poison them with polonium.

polonium takes too long, but russia is also ok with acute lead poisioning

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
They'd have their votes if only they'd held the meeting on a fourth floor balcony.

Rookie mistake!

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts

Accretionist posted:

Good thing they're legalizing ISP-sales of browsing histories. Activists can start buying congressmen's records.

Can you FOIA request web search histories of Congress?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/844978878091350016

freedom caucus working hard to make sure that their demands can't be met

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

evilweasel posted:

These people don't even know what it is they're cutting or why, do they.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

for SOME REASON republican legislators are very, very upset they have to pay for women's health care

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Up to 16 non-HFC "no" votes:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/844980161552494598

It's hard to see anything that gets 80% of the HFC on board (which is what you need with only 8 votes to spare) at all, let alone without losing more votes

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

evilweasel posted:

Do some of them actually think their voters are going to...like this particular demand?:psyduck:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

evilweasel posted:

for SOME REASON republican legislators are very, very upset they have to pay for women's health care

Women are inferior and why should the Master Gender (and race) have to pay for anything for them

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Majorian posted:

Do some of them actually think their voters are going to...like this particular demand?:psyduck:

Their top concern is not getting primaried from the right.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Don't worry guys Sean Spicer reassured us in no uncertain terms that the bill will pass and they don't need a plan B

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

we just don't want federal dollars paying for abortion

or pregnancy

or breast cancer

dongs, though, all of the federal money needed for dong-related medicine, that's very important

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

They've always wanted a full repeal. They've just been slowly moving the goalposts until they get it, while Trump ineffectually yells at them and Ryan crawls further and further into a net of barbed wire.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Their voters only care if it pisses off liberals, which it would.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Majorian posted:

It lowers premiums!

When insurers don't have to pay anything they can have really low premiums!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Xae posted:

It lowers premiums!

When insurers don't have to pay anything they can have really low premiums!

Think of the profit when people pay you 100 dollars a month to not cover anything

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Let's all remember the Republicans have no balls though and will roll over for some scraps in the end.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

RocktheCaulk posted:

Let's all remember the Republicans have no balls though and will roll over for some scraps in the end.

Cool thanks for be low effort Nothing Matters post.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
If Paul Ryan pulls this bill from being voted on tonight, I'm going to be pissed. I've already bought beer and chips.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

RocktheCaulk posted:

the HFC repeatedly refused to sign onto bills giving them 95% of what they wanted, forcing House leadership to get enough Dems on board that they got, like, 20% of what they wanted, during the Obama Administration

it's sort of what they do

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
The HFC could have privatized Social Security, remember that.

they are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thank god they're so stupid and inflexible

In, like, very specific cases.