Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm so glad I'm not a video game writer.

Don't get me wrong--I'd love to write stories for video games in theory. But the practical reality of it sounds like a writer's nightmare in every possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I would think that if you're a good writer you'd be writing things other than video games

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

video games are good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

video games are bad

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

fridge corn posted:

I would think that if you're a good writer you'd be writing things other than video games

I'm a professional writer and yeah in my experience this is spot on

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

What, you didn't know that free speech means nobody should ever face repercussions for anything they say? Thanks, Milo

Jontron is constitutionally granted the right to voice video game characters no matter how many mosques he burns down, that's the first amendment.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Bad voice acting in video games almost always comes down to bad direction. The VAs on Andromeda for the most part are all professionals with a ton of anime + game credits to their name
yeah. trails of cold steel has the same va cast as like 50 other anime games, but they all sound ten times better because the voice director was super hands on and explained the context of all the lines and the series ~lore and everything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KingSlime posted:

I'm a professional writer and yeah in my experience this is spot on
so you write video games? :twisted:

Serf
May 5, 2011

oddium posted:

video games are good

Cowcaster posted:

video games are bad

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?lang=en

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I could imagine a good writer wanting to use games as a medium, but I can't imagine a good writer putting up with the bullshit required to actually do that at most places (and then end up with their name attached to something terrible because it was all torn up and rearranged and hosed up).

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
They should have gotten Jonathan Tron to voice a Nazi in the new upcoming Banjo Kazooie inspired Collecta-former, Yooka-Laylee

I think that would have been a very good role for him

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Endorph posted:

so you write video games? :twisted:

Listen here u Lil poo poo

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
But seriously if you have good writing chops you should stick to dry technical writing, corporate, or other kinds of lame but profitable niches.

Fiction writing, video game writing, and even journalism aren't worth it imo. Leave those to the amateurs or those who are passionate for writing (not to say there aren't people that are doing much better than myself in those areas but it's a crapshoot).

Sticking to more demanding and less interesting sectors means more money and less competition from blogging mommies and your friend seth who is totally starting a media empire guys

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

Hi, I'm a writer. It's a little more complicated than that.

You can be a much worse writer than anything you've seen in video games and make a living. It's comparatively easy in the sense that, in my experience, nobody really hires someone to write for games if writing is literally all they can do. You're expected to have some experience with at least game design if not actual programming.

You know the whole cliché about making fun of people who want to work on a video game as "the idea guy"? It's that. In my opinion it's really dumb, because being a good writer is extremely rare and difficult, but the game industry has an irrational bias.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Jontron is constitutionally granted the right to voice video game characters no matter how many mosques he burns down, that's the first amendment.

It's true. I learned this from noted constitutional scholar @DeplorableNintendoFan on twitter.

KingSlime posted:

But seriously if you have good writing chops you should stick to dry technical writing, corporate, or other kinds of lame but profitable niches.

Fiction writing, video game writing, and even journalism aren't worth it imo. Leave those to the amateurs or those who are passionate for writing (not to say there aren't people that are doing much better than myself in those areas but it's a crapshoot).

I am a technical writer, actually. It's not so bad but I miss being a teacher. Of course I live in Wisconsin and would end up taking a massive pay cut to be a teacher and I got student loans so :v:

And like a lot of writers I still try to do the fiction writing thing but I haven't gotten beyond publishing a couple of short stories. I did get paid for them, though, so it's not all bad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A friend of mine tried out Super Double Dragon because of a recommendation I made to him and explaining some of the mechanics to him reminds me I was in the middle of a Let's Play back when LP's were first becoming a thing here on SA. Didn't have the software or A/V and computer know-how to make it work ultimately but it was fun (for myself) while it lasted. Nowadays there are lots of videos, which admittedly are probably better if they do a fun 2-player co-op run through. My videos were just of me kicking rear end.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Technical writers are technically good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

And like a lot of writers I still try to do the fiction writing thing but I haven't gotten beyond publishing a couple of short stories. I did get paid for them, though, so it's not all bad.

If you've gotten that far, you've gotten farther than 99% of all writers everywhere so you should try your hand at a novel or at least keep doing short stories. Once you get your foot in the door it becomes exponentially easier to get things published.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

Hi, I'm a writer. It's a little more complicated than that.

You can be a much worse writer than anything you've seen in video games and make a living. It's comparatively easy in the sense that, in my experience, nobody really hires someone to write for games if writing is literally all they can do. You're expected to have some experience with at least game design if not actual programming.

You know the whole cliché about making fun of people who want to work on a video game as "the idea guy"? It's that. In my opinion it's really dumb, because being a good writer is extremely rare and difficult, but the game industry has an irrational bias.

A few developers who work on really writing-heavy games, like Obsidian, luckily want actual, dedicated writers. Their application process wants you to demonstrate scripting ability, but that makes sense--I think you'd want the writer scripting the branching dialog they wrote themselves whenever possible. I appreciate that approach.

As to what the hell is going on at Bioware, well, I've read enough conflicting "insider" stories to know that I have no loving idea and probably never will. But if I had to guess, it's a combination of poor writing direction, poor voice direction, and an unrealistic timeline for delivering a game as big and intricate as they clearly wanted to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

A few developers who work on really writing-heavy games, like Obsidian, luckily want actual, dedicated writers.

I know :wink:

Unfortunately not every game studio is Obsidian :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

A few developers who work on really writing-heavy games, like Obsidian, luckily want actual, dedicated writers. Their application process wants you to demonstrate scripting ability, but that makes sense--I think you'd want the writer scripting the branching dialog they wrote themselves whenever possible. I appreciate that approach.

As to what the hell is going on at Bioware, well, I've read enough conflicting "insider" stories to know that I have no loving idea and probably never will. But if I had to guess, it's a combination of poor writing direction, poor voice direction, and an unrealistic timeline for delivering a game as big and intricate as they clearly wanted to.

Andromeda had five years of development but at least one full project restart. At a fundamental level they just had no good ideas for how to continue to Mass Effect franchise and no strong vision for what that would look like, which is evident in every facet of Andromeda.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Harrow posted:

It's true. I learned this from noted constitutional scholar @DeplorableNintendoFan on twitter.

I am a technical writer, actually. It's not so bad but I miss being a teacher. Of course I live in Wisconsin and would end up taking a massive pay cut to be a teacher and I got student loans so :v:

I feel you on that. I love teaching but America won't stop making GBS threads on the profession. This might sound selfish but I didn't spend years building myself up to be the doormat of people dumber than me (parents, admins, other teachers). Thankfully the cold, emotionless corporate world rewards merit a little more handsomely.

I've tried the writing for fun before but I guess I've spent (and will continue to spend) countless hours writing about stuff I don't care about that it's hard for me to not just play video games or jam out with my instruments on my free time instead. I don't even read for pleasure much anymore.

bloodychill posted:

Technical writers are technically good.

All good creative writers are technically good too, as are all good musicians and all good artists (well, most anyways). Technical mastery is so underplayed in our culture, which is why a lot of dum-dums think they can just not learn the foundations for x thing.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It's true everyone I know who calls themselves a writer are either technical writers for their day job or poorly paid adjunct professors struggling to get a English PhD, doomed to teach Freshmen English 101

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Andromeda had five years of development but at least one full project restart. At a fundamental level they just had no good ideas for how to continue to Mass Effect franchise and no strong vision for what that would look like, which is evident in every facet of Andromeda.

Yeah, that makes more sense.

Y'know, "let's make a game about exploring a new galaxy and trying to find a home for these disparate species who all need to learn to live and work together" seems like such a slam dunk of a premise for a space RPG with open-world elements. But leave it to Bioware to fumble it. I've said it before, but the one thing that annoys me more than a bad idea in games is a good idea wasted.

Lakbay posted:

It's true everyone I know who calls themselves a writer are either technical writers for their day job or poorly paid adjunct professors struggling to get a English PhD, doomed to teach Freshmen English 101

Hey, that's what I did before I was a technical writer! :v:

vvv Also, weirdly enough I agree. I liked teaching freshman writing, which is probably why I did it for longer than I should've.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'd love to teach freshman English 101 for eternity if it paid the bills..

poo poo is insanely rewarding and fun, college students are a whole nother level and many actually want to learn (or hear you talk poo poo, at least)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lakbay posted:

Hey that's not true, some of them are broke assholes like me!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

precision posted:

If you've gotten that far, you've gotten farther than 99% of all writers everywhere so you should try your hand at a novel or at least keep doing short stories. Once you get your foot in the door it becomes exponentially easier to get things published.

I do have a novel in progress and a few short stories I haven't had time to get around to, so yeah, I'm keeping going on it. Thanks for the encouragement--trying to get published is slow and daunting. It did teach me how to shrug off rejection and identify useful feedback, though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
For real, from one Pro to Another, having your own short stories published is pretty freaking amazing and something that most of us will never accomplish in our lives

mad props bruh

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

KingSlime posted:

I'd love to teach freshman English 101 for eternity if it paid the bills..

poo poo is insanely rewarding and fun, college students are a whole nother level and many actually want to learn (or hear you talk poo poo, at least)

Some guy I knew acheived it I think but he had to teach 6 or 7 sections at once in the same semester at 3 or 4 different colleges across the city

That's A LOT of papers to grade...

EDIT: I'm still pretty sure he was below poverty line or livable wage

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Writing video games is hard.

A major factor is that video games by definition can't follow the same writing rules as books or movies. They need extremely different pacing in a way that is incredibly hard to do well. In addition you're forced to deal with a 'character arc' for the protagonist that rarely to ever follows the set rules of what we're used to and which often are unsatisfying. Writers depend on being able to have a lot more control over a character than a video game offers because by necessity a video game has to put the player in control and what makes for good writing doesn't often make for good gameplay.

You can do it, of course, but it's hard. Even if you go for 'similar characters' you can't do it the same way. Nate Drake and Indiana Jones can't be written the same way because Nate can't be as off-footed or vulnerable as Indy can. You can't depend on a character making the 'wrong choice' even though the audience doesn't want them to unless you just drag it into a cutscene and usually piss your audience off.

And there's also pacing. movies and books can show the interesting parts. The 'filler' parts are what make up the bulk of games though. You have to watch (even in an abstracted version) every random walk down a corridor or trek across a empty plain or whatever.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

[leans back casually, I'd Rather Be Reading Manga shirt in full view]

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a thread for Everything?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I had a few English professors in college tell me I was a decent writer and had a somewhat unique voice, all trying to recruit me into the department. I asked one in particular what kind of job opportunities there were for academic writers.

"Hm. Professor."

"Uhhh..."

Though I guess now if you can also present on YouTube, you can make money criticizing pop culture or something.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Macaluso posted:

Some of the replies to this on twitter and stuff are quite salty. I love that ones that are like "I've lost a lot of respect for Playtonic :(" but not for ya know... the guy saying racist things.

I feel bad for whoever runs their various social media accounts because until today they probably would skim through every reply to their tweets and now that would be...impossible without a tall glass of whiskey sours at your side.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

oddium posted:

:same:

I've come to realize I need pictures and/or moving images with my storiez

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

oddium posted:

[leans back casually, t-shirt full of cats and no person in full view]

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

A major factor is that video games by definition can't follow the same writing rules as books or movies. They need extremely different pacing in a way that is incredibly hard to do well. In addition you're forced to deal with a 'character arc' for the protagonist that rarely to ever follows the set rules of what we're used to and which often are unsatisfying. Writers depend on being able to have a lot more control over a character than a video game offers because by necessity a video game has to put the player in control and what makes for good writing doesn't often make for good gameplay.

I've found the best games writing comes from total madmen, like Suda51, Yoko Taro, or SWERY. I'd put Kojima on there as well, solely because he attempts to do things with storytelling in games you otherwise could never do with other mediums. There are great traditional storytellers of course but the guys who really stretch what's only possible in an interactive setting do some very fun things.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Some guy I knew acheived it I think but he had to teach 6 or 7 sections at once in the same semester at 3 or 4 different colleges across the city

That's A LOT of papers to grade...

EDIT: I'm still pretty sure he was below poverty line or livable wage

Exactly! Despite requiring a graduate degree, adjunct positions pay less than literally every full time job out there. It's remarkably hosed up, although it did force me to experiment with making money via my skillset in other ways and realize just how valuable writing skills are in other sectors.

On that note, I remember tons of goons telling me that I'd never make a living "putting words together" back in 2008-2009, when I was contemplating my degree options. I'm just glad their doom and gloom was way off mark because I have some loans of my own! I'll grant them it's not the most lucrative field but English is probably the most valuable "useless" degree one can hope to have.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ImpAtom posted:

You can do it, of course, but it's hard. Even if you go for 'similar characters' you can't do it the same way. Nate Drake and Indiana Jones can't be written the same way because Nate can't be as off-footed or vulnerable as Indy can. You can't depend on a character making the 'wrong choice' even though the audience doesn't want them to unless you just drag it into a cutscene and usually piss your audience off.

And there's also pacing. movies and books can show the interesting parts. The 'filler' parts are what make up the bulk of games though. You have to watch (even in an abstracted version) every random walk down a corridor or trek across a empty plain or whatever.

And then at the end of the day, you're writing for an audience of mostly idiots who have turned their brains to mush playing video games and wouldn't even recognize good writing if they saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

CJacobs, come to the 3DCG thread in CreativeConvention we will help you.

Edit: Writing for anything else IS the project. Movies and TV get closest, but even then they follow the writing super closely. Writing for video games is only PART of the project, and often times not even the MAIN part and often times it's being done concurrently with design and production and will have to be changed to suit gameplay, visuals, technical limitations, etc etc. It's super complicated.

Imo the best videogame writing is what's called just "world building" in other writing mediums. You create a place and establish rules and history for how it works and then you have to let the player poke at it as best you can. Like what BOTW is doing right now.

mutata fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 23, 2017

• Locked thread