Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I had an MD Walkman and always liked the concept, but since I had no other MD stuff at home, I had to go to a friend's house if I wanted to record an album onto MiniDisc. I don't know what it is with Japanese consumer electronics companies and their talent for shooting themselves in the foot (not that I blame Sony for me not having a MD recorder.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Crosspostin' this from IYG

Couple of decent finds this last weekend

Akai 4000 DS Mk II in pretty much excellent condition. Needed a bit of polishing up but sounds great.

And better still, this beast. Sony TC-765

That one needs a bit of work, obviously, but it powers on and runs, just needs a good cleaning and lube and all the other basic maintenance. And a new erase head, looks like. And some cosmetic work. I'm told it fell off a cabinet, but given the weight of this thing I'd hazard the floor was worse off than the player.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:
New chairs and dining table :swoon:

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

ReidRansom posted:

Akai 4000 DS Mk II in pretty much excellent condition. Needed a bit of polishing up but sounds great.

That one needs a bit of work, obviously, but it powers on and runs, just needs a good cleaning and lube and all the other basic maintenance. And a new erase head, looks like. And some cosmetic work. I'm told it fell off a cabinet, but given the weight of this thing I'd hazard the floor was worse off than the player.

Yesssssssssssssssssssss

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

ReidRansom posted:

Nice, do you have a bunch of reels? I just got rid of a reel to reel, JVC Nivico. I still have a bunch of 3M recorded reels though, mostly "mix tapes" from the 70s. Some have comedy and most have music.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Trastion posted:

Nice, do you have a bunch of reels? I just got rid of a reel to reel, JVC Nivico. I still have a bunch of 3M recorded reels though, mostly "mix tapes" from the 70s. Some have comedy and most have music.

I have exactly one tape, labeled "Hillbilly pop" which contained music I'd say fits that description pretty well. Sounded pretty bad and was a bunch of garbage anyway, so I recorded the new Tennis album over it and that sounded great :D There was also a partial (like 1cm spooled) reel labeled "something community church pastor soandso sermon" or some poo poo like that, but I needed a take-up reel so I just unwound that right into the bin.

Dude who sold them to me said he has a bunch more around somewhere and that he'd give them to me if he finds them. I've ordered a couple of blank Ampex reels to play around with as well.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kristneder posted:

I miss Woot Fatigue. More furniture posts people!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Kristneder posted:

Nice penis

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just lol if you don't have a giant rectangular table with removable leaves that seats 8.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I bought a very thorough home inspection for a house we're hopefully be buying. Except he already got the report to us and it's 67 pages long. A lot of silly little things but some big problems that I hope we can negotiate them into lowering the price over. Otherwise I'll be taking over Tom Hanks' role in a reboot of The Money Pit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Better than a snake pit.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Or a cockpit...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dick Trauma posted:

Or a cockpit...

And yet a ballpit is considered suitable for children.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Subjunctive posted:

Better than a snake pit.

Love the BWM cross-posting in this thread.

For my contribution, I purchased a Vitamix blender at Costco last weekend.

So far, it owns.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A second pair of Audio-Technica M40X. Despite listing my friend's name and address, the cans came to me. The mic, boom stand, cables, and rest of the purchase did not so I'm hoping it all went to his door as everything should have.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

The last office I worked at was cleaning out some old junk and I got a SCSI Zip Drive (w/cable and a disc). I have no idea if it works because I have nothing to attach it to.

You'll hate it if you do use it, it's barely SCSI, like SCSI II narrow. I bought one in the '90s and instantly realized an IDE or USB model would be vastly superior.

Also, I'm surprised at all the reel-to-reel love. I have my dad's old Sony, not sure of the model number, and quite a few pre-recorded tapes. My tapes from the '80s all had music copied from cassette and that one Bill Cosby tape I really remember enjoying, much like Dave Chapelle described it in his new special. Gotta love the anachronistic tape boxes, I opened a pre-recorded commercial Frank Sinatra box expecting liner note only to find blank lines to write what I'd recorded on the tape.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Splurging for my dads birthday.
We're going to have a great time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Holy gently caress is that some kind of VIP package? WWDTM is great but I would assume tickets would be like $20-$30. Give us a good write up afterwards too, I'd enjoy reading how different it is live.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bottom Liner posted:

Holy gently caress is that some kind of VIP package? WWDTM is great but I would assume tickets would be like $20-$30. Give us a good write up afterwards too, I'd enjoy reading how different it is live.

Sounds like dead center back a row so you arnt looking up noses.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Fly with me posted:

Daaaaaaaaaaaang, I just assumed that tickets would be free or a lot cheaper than that. I keep mentioning to my SO we should go to Chicago for a weekend and do that.

Echoing the call for a post trip report--have fun!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I think I heard that program on NPR when driving though Massachusetts. Was pretty drat funny. NPR is cool and good.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bought some C2E2 passes yesterday. I've never been to any convention and the 3-day passes weren't too expensive; should be a fun weekend.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Bought a bunch of cleaning stuff since we are going on vacation next month and my wife wants the house to be super clean since her mother is coming by to watch the animals once a week.

We have regular twice daily pet sitting neighbors but she just wants to make sure they get a couple hours of play time while we're gone.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Tickets for some shows this weekend:

Sklar Brothers at the Helium Comedy Club on Friday night.

Alton Brown at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall on Sunday night.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

Tickets for some shows this weekend:

Alton Brown

Curious to know how this goes. Some other people who went to his shows said he was a dick and was rude to a volunteer that he brought on stage.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Hey I'm going to see Alton Brown too! Bought tickets for my fiance's birthday a while back.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

sterster posted:

Curious to know how this goes. Some other people who went to his shows said he was a dick and was rude to a volunteer that he brought on stage.

One of my friends went to his show last year when he was in town and said something along the same lines. I also remember segments segments when he was on some talk shows (can't remember if they were morning or late night ones) where he definitely seemed a bit more short & acerbic when live(ish). Oh well, at least there will be puppets!

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
For the home office – Steljes NS1 speakers in Solar Yellow:

Refurbed Steelcase Leap chair:

For athletic pursuits – Sub Sports compression tights, because I wore out the knee on my old pair while heroically sliding in for a return on the badminton court:

For hair – Layrite Super Hold pomade:

For cleaning – generic magic erasers:

For ants – bait:

Plus some white speaker wire, cable clips and banana plugs to sort out the living room AV.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Bottom Liner posted:

It's a premium seat, but most of the cheaper seats were already gone. At least we get a gift bag.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Daaaaaaaaaaaang, I just assumed that tickets would be free or a lot cheaper than that. I keep mentioning to my SO we should go to Chicago for a weekend and do that.

Echoing the call for a post trip report--have fun!

The tickets in Chicago are cheaper. $30 for general admission, $85 for the premium seats. If you do want to do it, look it up well in advance since tickets sell out so quick.

I will do a post-trip report.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

We saw Dave Chappelle. It was cool and good. Glad he's back to doing what he loves.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Just found out I got some bonus bucks from work, put them all towards one of these bad boys and only had to spend $26 out of pocket for it. My uncle always had a Model M when I was a kid and I loved typing on the drat thing, and I desperately need a new work keyboard.

:black101: LET THE CLANKING BEGIN :black101:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Fly with me posted:

I love Abravanel Hall. Those are great seats.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Dewgy posted:

Just found out I got some bonus bucks from work, put them all towards one of these bad boys and only had to spend $26 out of pocket for it. My uncle always had a Model M when I was a kid and I loved typing on the drat thing, and I desperately need a new work keyboard.

:black101: LET THE CLANKING BEGIN :black101:

Excellent purchase. What was the total price if you don't mind my asking?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

App13 posted:

Excellent purchase. What was the total price if you don't mind my asking?

$100.99 on Amazon, which is a bit more expensive than direct from Unicomp, but Prime shipping balanced that out nicely.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Bought a stereo at a flea market. Works very nicely and looks pretty swell.

Guest starring the kitchenaid mixer I bought yesterday. It rocks

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Spy_Guy posted:

:stare: Well that looks steampunk (and rad) as gently caress!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Spy_Guy posted:

Next buy the Kitchenaid brand beater blade. Never buy the pasta maker unless you enjoy being disappointed in freeze dried pasta forever.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

The taste difference in fresh pasta isn't worth the labor imo.

Content: bought a membership to REI. It was $20 but the coupon it activates saved me $36

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

App13 posted:

The taste difference in fresh pasta isn't worth the labor imo.

Content: bought a membership to REI. It was $20 but the coupon it activates saved me $36
Isn't that the REI credit card? I feel like I'm a member of some sort but I haven't paid anything to them in like 9 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spy_Guy posted:

It looks like something that costs around 75€ brand new.