Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/BresPolitico/status/845003135638802433

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

So how long until Republicans begin pretending that the bill didn't even exist in the first place?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So how long until Republicans begin pretending that the bill didn't even exist in the first place?

I don't see how they can push the vote past Monday. By then, it's dead and all Ryan gets by keeping it from the floor is making sure everyone blames him and nobody else. If it goes on the floor and fails, there's the no votes to blame as well.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Which is more humiliating for Trump, it being shot down in a vote or just thrown away without a vote?

Or are you saying that Ryan will force a vote no matter what to try and share the blame for failure?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which is more humiliating for Trump, it being shot down in a vote or just thrown away without a vote?

Or are you saying that Ryan will force a vote no matter what to try and share the blame for failure?

definitely forcing a vote and failing it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Just to be clear it is still possible to twist enough arms by tomorrow. It's definitely not a done deal but I think you've got to peg it as more likely it's dead than it passes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

I don't see how they can push the vote past Monday. By then, it's dead and all Ryan gets by keeping it from the floor is making sure everyone blames him and nobody else. If it goes on the floor and fails, there's the no votes to blame as well.

Also on Monday the "martial law" rule that lets them pass or change stuff very quickly expires:

https://decisiondeskhq.com/news/house-invokes-martial-law-rule-to-pass-health-care-reform/

Decision Desk HQ posted:

The House of Representatives’ Rules Committee spent yesterday wading through proposed amendments from members to the GOP’s ObamaCare reform bill. The plan originally was to pass a rule which would govern the number of amendments that would be allowed to voted on by the whole House and then report the package to the floor for consideration. The most important of the amendments would have been the “manager’s amendment” which would have contained changes approved by leadership that incorporated changes to the bill that included changes and compromises required to get a majority to vote for the bill.

The problem for the GOP is as of last night there were at least 32 Republican no votes, 9 more than they can afford to lose and still pass the bill.

In the absence of a “manager’s amendment” reflected the requisite compromises, the House Rules Committee passed a “same day” or “martial law” rule.

Under the martial law procedure, long-standing House rules that require at least one day between the unveiling of significant legislation and the House floor vote on that legislation — so that Members can learn what they are being asked to vote on — are swept away. Instead, under “martial law,” the Leadership can file legislation with tens or hundreds of pages of fine print and move immediately to debate and votes on it, before Members of Congress, the media, or the public have an opportunity to understand fully what provisions have been altered or inserted into the legislation behind closed doors. This is the procedure that the Leadership intends to use to muscle through important bills in the next two days.

Democrats on the rules committee were concerned that the text of the rules doesn’t limit the legislation which can be brought up in this fashion to health care. They are concerned that the GOP may bring up or include other unrelated provisions.

The draft rule passed the committee on a 9-3 party line vote.

The full House is scheduled to vote on the rule this morning around 9am. Like everything else around this legislation, that’s subject to change. [Update at 9:17am eastern: The House is beginning one hour of debate on the proposed rule]

The House of Representatives’ Rules Committee spent yesterday wading through proposed amendments from members to the GOP’s ObamaCare reform bill. The plan originally was to pass a rule which would govern the number of amendments that would be allowed to voted on by the whole House and then report the package to the floor for consideration. The most important of the amendments would have been the “manager’s amendment” which would have contained changes approved by leadership that incorporated changes to the bill that included changes and compromises required to get a majority to vote for the bill.

The problem for the GOP is as of last night there were at least 32 Republican no votes, 9 more than they can afford to lose and still pass the bill.

In the absence of a “manager’s amendment” reflected the requisite compromises, the House Rules Committee passed a “same day” or “martial law” rule.

Under the martial law procedure, long-standing House rules that require at least one day between the unveiling of significant legislation and the House floor vote on that legislation — so that Members can learn what they are being asked to vote on — are swept away. Instead, under “martial law,” the Leadership can file legislation with tens or hundreds of pages of fine print and move immediately to debate and votes on it, before Members of Congress, the media, or the public have an opportunity to understand fully what provisions have been altered or inserted into the legislation behind closed doors. This is the procedure that the Leadership intends to use to muscle through important bills in the next two days.

Democrats on the rules committee were concerned that the text of the rules doesn’t limit the legislation which can be brought up in this fashion to health care. They are concerned that the GOP may bring up or include other unrelated provisions.

The draft rule passed the committee on a 9-3 party line vote.

The full House is scheduled to vote on the rule this morning around 9am. Like everything else around this legislation, that’s subject to change. [Update at 9:17am eastern: The House is beginning one hour of debate on the proposed rule]

Once the rule is passed by the House, GOP leaders can bring any amendment package they want included in the bill to the Rules Committee. The committee will then vote on the rule including the new amendments and then directly to the floor on the same day without the normally required one day layover.

The “martial law” rule is valid through Monday.

“Martial law” rules are an excellent example of the differences between the House, where the majority has total control of the schedule and speed under which legislation is considered and the the Senate where individual Senators have greater ability to at least slow the process, if not change the final outcome.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He will definitely force a vote. The blowback is going to be immense and he's going to need the additional targets for the base's rage.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

Also on Monday the "martial law" rule that lets them pass or change stuff very quickly expires:

https://decisiondeskhq.com/news/house-invokes-martial-law-rule-to-pass-health-care-reform/

They can just re-pass it. There's never any real constraints on what the Speaker can do in the House.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I still think the bill will pass. The GOP can't afford not to pass it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

Just to be clear it is still possible to twist enough arms by tomorrow. It's definitely not a done deal but I think you've got to peg it as more likely it's dead than it passes.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Not looking good for the bill, but there could still be an 11th-hour reversal.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

He will definitely force a vote. The blowback is going to be immense and he's going to need the additional targets for the base's rage.

Nice.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

They can just re-pass it. There's never any real constraints on what the Speaker can do in the House.

Ah good point. Presumably if they have enough votes they can get the votes in the Rules Committee to do it again, I hadn't thought of that.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

The GOP can't afford to pass this bill. The ACA was passed with lukewarm popularity and got worse over the rest of 2010 and the Dems lost a historic 60+ seats in the fall. This bill isn't even law yet and the approval rating is around 30% among Republicans. They're going to be annihilated if they pass it and that's why everyone with even half a brain in the caucus is jumping ship.

If Ryan wasn't a complete idiot he'd realize this bill is absolute poison and its passage means the end of his Speakership.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

can't afford to pass it either, decisions, decisions

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

axeil posted:

The GOP can't afford to pass this bill. The ACA was passed with lukewarm popularity and got worse over the rest of 2010 and the Dems lost a historic 60+ seats in the fall. This bill isn't even law yet and the approval rating is around 30% among Republicans. They're going to be annihilated if they pass it and that's why everyone with even half a brain in the caucus is jumping ship.

If Ryan wasn't a complete idiot he'd realize this bill is absolute poison and its passage means the end of his Speakership.

lol the GOP hosed themselves

they are screwed if they pass it or if they don't pass it

the only thing saving them is democratic imcompetence

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

Ah good point. Presumably if they have enough votes they can get the votes in the Rules Committee to do it again, I hadn't thought of that.

Yep - the Rules Committee is always stacked with Speaker loyalists. If the Speaker has lost the Rules Committee he's probably about to be kicked out of Congress entirely because he got caught murdering a hooker or something.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Typo posted:

the only thing saving them is democratic imcompetence

Democrats aren't giving them a single vote. That's basically the only thing they can do in the House as a minority party, and they're doing it perfectly.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/845007368358367232

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Yep - the Rules Committee is always stacked with Speaker loyalists. If the Speaker has lost the Rules Committee he's probably about to be kicked out of Congress entirely because he got caught murdering a hooker or something.

Right, I was thinking even though it has a lot of GOP members (9 I think) that they weren't all Paul Ryan's kept puppets. With that knowledge it all makes a lot more sense.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

axeil posted:

Sloober posted:

can't afford to pass it either, decisions, decisions

If you are going to be eviscerated either way, you might as well claim the scalp of Obamacare on the way down. They also need to give Trump a win and show he can get things done, even if its something terrible, for him to reciprocate on other issues. If they fail, they will probably have as adversarial a relationship with the president as they did under Obama.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Meanwhile, the president is hard at work trying to salvage his signature campaign promi

https://twitter.com/afp/status/845006048863903744

https://twitter.com/stevekopack/status/844995773838315520

Oh wait no he's in his driveway acting like a three year old.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Haha, I'm Canadian, but I'm somehow on this guy's email list. I always make sure to answer his surveys.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

If you are going to be eviscerated either way, you might as well claim the scalp of Obamacare on the way down. They also need to give Trump a win and show he can get things done, even if its something terrible, for him to reciprocate on other issues. If they fail, they will probably have as adversarial a relationship with the president as they did under Obama.

If you're someone like Charlie Dent who has survived 2006 and 2008 when you were in a purple district, why would you do something that is immensely unpopular instead of fairly popular?

Also, you assume that all of the GOP actually hates Obamacare when I suspect if McCain had won in 2008 and proposed the same thing they'd love it. They're not all screeching morons like the Raiders of the Tortilla Coast.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

Democrats aren't giving them a single vote. That's basically the only thing they can do in the House as a minority party, and they're doing it perfectly.

That and trolling, which pelosi has under control
https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/844987753762897922

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Aren't truckers often self-employed middle-aged people? Do they like healthcare at all?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

"Rookie mistake"

Dammit Nancy, do something right.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

TyrantWD posted:

I don't see how becoming a pariah party is better than continuing the internecine squabbling they've already been dealing with for the last eight years.

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Aren't truckers often self-employed middle-aged people? Do they like healthcare at all?

Yes they don't need healthcare because they keep their bodies in top physical form due to the rigors of their profession.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Macrowave Oven posted:

Yes they don't need healthcare because they keep their bodies in top physical form due to the rigors of their profession.

This, but sort of unironically. Commercial driver's licenses are really easy to lose because of high blood pressure and/or diabetes. Trump could never pass the physical.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

This, but sort of unironically. Commercial driver's licenses are really easy to lose because of high blood pressure and/or diabetes. Trump could never pass the physical.

Uhhhhh, you ever seen truckers? They live in the same world as us so it's pretty easy to catch a glimpse and know that your statement is a bit off

FedEx/UPS people though? Calves of steel

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Most truckers I've seen are so fat I'm surprised they can climb into a truck

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/845018201939435522
https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/845018455455748100

It might actually be impossible to describe how badly they've handled this.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/mfcannon/status/845020749991743490

*Incredibly Paul Ryan Voice*
"This is fine."

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

sharkbomb posted:

Uhhhhh, you ever seen truckers? They live in the same world as us so it's pretty easy to catch a glimpse and know that your statement is a bit off

FedEx/UPS people though? Calves of steel

truck drivers must pass a yearly or bi-yearly DOT physical, and obese truckers are pressured out of the profession by being sent to participate in an expensive sleep study if they have a large neck size or high BMI, in order to see if they are at risk for sleep apnea

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

sharkbomb posted:

Look at my user name. Guess how many CDL licenses I have in my family. Guess.

Statistically, truck drivers are probably healthier than goons, who don't have to pass yearly physicals just to keep their jobs. You don't have to be in tip top shape to pass, but actual morbid obesity will knock you right out on blood pressure grounds.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i go to meetings for 2 hours and the cbo tells the house they're spending almost $200b extra to cover zero additional people

my sides

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zikan posted:

https://twitter.com/mfcannon/status/845020749991743490

*Incredibly Paul Ryan Voice*
"This is fine."

HFC: "please, don't throw us into the briar patch of not actually having to vote against the repeal bill while still destroying your speakership. whatever will we do. please, mr. ryan, have a heart"

edit: this tweet is from a Cato Institute guy so it's basically the HFC laughing in Ryan's face when he says this

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Look at my user name. Guess how many CDL licenses I have in my family. Guess.

Statistically, truck drivers are probably healthier than goons, who don't have to pass yearly physicals just to keep their jobs. You don't have to be in tip top shape to pass, but actual morbid obesity will knock you right out on blood pressure grounds.

I've been caught talking out of my rear end on the internet-- I retract my statement regarding the fitness of truckers.

Then again you know those regulations about trucker health now have a short life-span under this administration, so maybe the era of Body Builder Trucker has come to an end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

evilweasel posted:

i go to meetings for 2 hours and the cbo tells the house they're spending almost $200b extra to cover zero additional people

my sides
:lol: