Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

YeahTubaMike posted:

I wish US baseball had Japanese-style brass bands & singing sections, and I wish that white dudes would shut the gently caress up about how players of color play/celebrate the game forever.

A small brass band should go to a weeknight game and sit in an unoccupied part of the stadium and start playing a bunch of music, and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

And they wonder why nobody watches loving MLB

Lots of people watch MLB.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Are we all just glossing over John McCain being called the #9 leader in the world lmao

In all honesty, I'm just relieved Trump isn't on the list.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

seiferguy posted:

A small brass band should go to a weeknight game and sit in an unoccupied part of the stadium and start playing a bunch of music, and see what happens.
Many (most?) stadiums don't allow fans to bring instruments through the gates. Dodger Stadium made an exception for the WBC specifically.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/CSNMooney/status/844977781041590272
https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/844978845841162240

V: lol

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ice To Meet You posted:

If you needed any more confirmation that the Cubs are the villains,

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/844899752349253632

The pope is the mortal head of an organization that oversees 1.7 billion members whose allegiance determines daily, weekly and/or seasonal rituals for its members. Not that impressive, I guess.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

R.D. Mangles posted:

“I hope kids watching the W.B.C. can watch the way we play the game and appreciate the way we play the game as opposed to the way Puerto Rico plays or the Dominican plays,” Kinsler said. “That’s not taking anything away from them. That just wasn’t the way we were raised. They were raised differently and to show emotion and passion when you play. We do show emotion; we do show passion. But we just do it in a different way.”

If there's anything the WBC has taught us, it's that American baseball is literally the worst loving baseball on the face of the earth.
Dan Duquette has a new target player for 2018 free agency

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
N: Asdrúbal Cabrera got ejected from the Mets-Nats game earlier today and took the absolute longest time possible leaving the field. Someone put the exit to music.

https://twitter.com/goodfundies/status/844990390759575554

V: I absolutely love that this happened. Also, gently caress Angel Hernandez.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

The pope is the mortal head of an organization that oversees 1.7 billion members whose allegiance determines daily, weekly and/or seasonal rituals for its members. Not that impressive, I guess.

Let's be fair, the only difference between that and Theo is maybe a billion members

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

tadashi posted:

The numbers may be a little different, but that still sounds like the Cubs fanbase.

e: f;b

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I hope the Rangers win the division with a negative run differential this year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

YeahTubaMike posted:

N: Asdrúbal Cabrera got ejected from the Mets-Nats game earlier today and took the absolute longest time possible leaving the field. Someone put the exit to music.

https://twitter.com/goodfundies/status/844990390759575554

V: I absolutely love that this happened. Also, gently caress Angel Hernandez.

That Angel Hernandez is such a whiny pissbaby that he considers looking at him in a spring training game to be an offense worthy of ejection is no surprise to me

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Intruder posted:

That Angel Hernandez is such a whiny pissbaby that he considers looking at him in a spring training game to be an offense worthy of ejection is no surprise to me

The entire story seems to be as follows:

Cabrera asked for time. Unbeknownst to him, Hernandez denied his request for time, so the next pitch came, and it was a strike. Cabrera said something or whatever. Then he got a hit, said something else to Hernandez on the way to first base, and was then ejected.

"Angel Hernandez is such a whiny pissbaby" is an immutable truth, but it seems like Cabrera did more than just look at him.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

YeahTubaMike posted:

The entire story seems to be as follows:

Cabrera asked for time. Unbeknownst to him, Hernandez denied his request for time, so the next pitch came, and it was a strike. Cabrera said something or whatever. Then he got a hit, said something else to Hernandez on the way to first base, and was then ejected.

"Angel Hernandez is such a whiny pissbaby" is an immutable truth, but it seems like Cabrera did more than just look at him.

What I really hate is we lost a couple of good/reputable umps for this year and yet we still have notorious shitheads Angel Hernandez and Joe West working games in the Show.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
N: The Mariners just optioned Dan Vogelbach to AAA, which is weird because everyone was saying that he was gonna be the starting 1st basemen.

V: Bring on Danny Valencia, I guess.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
N: https://twitter.com/darenw/status/845016384333598720

V: Greinke still broken?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nope, he's making pretty good work of the rest of the Cubs lineup. Arrieta's just good at hitting meatballs.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Nope, he's making pretty good work of the rest of the Cubs lineup. Arrieta's just good at hitting meatballs.

Swing as hard as you can in case you hit something is a good tactic for a pitcher. Javier Baez, on the other hand, could maybe back off every once in a while.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
"Javier Baez is the most exciting player to watch in baseball!"...

Sure, when he's not infuriatingly swinging at three straight high heaters.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Arm_Fruit posted:

That's exciting in a bad way

Javy is great

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Explosionface posted:

In all honesty, I'm just relieved Trump isn't on the list.

Forbes knows what's up. My idiot dog is a better leader than that guy, and he eats his own crap.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

dafuq?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Arm_Fruit posted:

More like:

Fans: "JAVY: EVERYBODY WATCHING THIS GAME KNOWS A SLIDER AWAY IS COMING!"

Javy: Swings through at a strike three slider thrown out of the zone

Cubs trying to suppress his workload.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Heyman's saying Sandoval won the 3rd base job.

Kung Fu Panda rides again :cool:

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I felt bad when his belt broke against the jays last year and then the fan the next game came with like 3 belts tied together but it will never not be funny

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Panda fired his previous agent (and by extension his brother) and I guess it was a pretty big deal. He looks like he has lost a pretty good amount of weight but we'll see if he can keep it off.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Popete posted:

He looks like he has lost a pretty good amount of weight but we'll see if he can keep it off.

oh like every single year of his career

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

oh like every single year of his career

For some reason I thought his problem showing up after the off season fat every year and slowly losing weight during the season?

Like he'd go home and just eat when he wasn't playing baseball.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

Apparently Panda fired his previous agent (and by extension his brother) and I guess it was a pretty big deal. He looks like he has lost a pretty good amount of weight but we'll see if he can keep it off.

but...what shape is he in?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

N: Jeff Hoffman was optioned to AAA today.

V: the Rockies pitching rotation so far is set at Gray, Anderson, then Chatwood. Competing for the four/five spots are German Marquez, Antonio Senzatela, and Kyle Freeland. It looks like it's probably going to be Senzatela and Freeland.

If the 4/5 rotation spots are in the order of Senzatela then Freeland, Freeland would start the home opener on April 7th.

Why is that a thing? Because Kyle Freeland went to Thomas Jefferson High School in Denver. I saw him play in high school in 2010 and 2011. :corsair: Holy god, I'm getting old.

And people will go crazy in this town if a Denver kid starts the home opener and has a good game.

Poque posted:

spherical

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 24, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Grittybeard posted:

For some reason I thought his problem showing up after the off season fat every year and slowly losing weight during the season?

Like he'd go home and just eat when he wasn't playing baseball.

No he would show up every year BSOHLing very hard and then as the season wore on he just gained a pound per game played

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Arm_Fruit posted:

What I like about this is that you could swap out Javier Baez with Kevin Pillar and the post would still be accurate.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

The Berzerker posted:

What I like about this is that you could swap out Javier Baez with Kevin Pillar and the post would still be accurate.

Suppoooosssedly, Pillar has improved this, at least in spring training this year. I'm not holding my breath.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
So, has this ever happened before?

https://twitter.com/stephenjnesbitt/status/845285431461732353

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It happens all the time

:v:

(Yes I know you mean to an MLB player)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
good. gently caress him.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Javy Baez had 0.0287 defensive runs saved per inning at second last year. The next highest 2B with more than 300 Innings was Jedd Gyorko with .0178. Gold Glovers Ian Kinsler and Joe Panik had .0092 and .0028, respectively. Javy is pretty exciting to watch in the field, even if he swings at literally everything. He's pretty much the perfect utility guy, since he can play 1B, 2B, SS, and 3B all very well. Zobrist is getting old and will probably need a lot of days off, so Javy can fill his spot without losing too much.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/sung_minkim/status/845250587612536832

https://twitter.com/sung_minkim/status/845281932418048001

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Poque posted:

round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Fat guys are good in/for baseball imo

• Locked thread