Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

LPs don't seem like fruitful ground for media criticism.

Depends how broadly you're defining it, surely? How a game feels on an immediate, moment-to-moment basis can be quite important for something that lives and dies on flash and spectacle like a Call of Duty entry.

It won't get you a rich discussion of themes (unless the person doing it is very observant, very eloquent, and thinks very fast), but it does cover another key part of the experience of consuming art in a way few other things do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Kotaku's Heather Alexandra used to do several critical Lets Plays that were pretty exceptional.

Josh Trevett started on a series like that discussing Dark Souls through the lens of Joseph Campbell but it didn't go very far past the first episode

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Bobbin Threadbare on lthe Let's Play forumswhen he particularly likes a game, devotes around 20 to 30 minutes on a mini documentary on a subject pertaining to something that happened in episode.

Chapo Trap House and Giantbomb adjacent adjacent Hegelbon has been dipping his toes on stuff like that as well.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

neither is Your Posting and yet

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

Depends how broadly you're defining it, surely? How a game feels on an immediate, moment-to-moment basis can be quite important for something that lives and dies on flash and spectacle like a Call of Duty entry.

It won't get you a rich discussion of themes (unless the person doing it is very observant, very eloquent, and thinks very fast), but it does cover another key part of the experience of consuming art in a way few other things do.

Immediacy can be harmful to criticism, because criticism does demand some degree of distance and detachment to work. LPs also have the basic problem that they're mostly unedited, which is anturally going to hamper any greater argument or statement. And the goals of entertainment aren't ultimately the same as those of criticism, so there's always that fundamental proble.

The big advantage of LPs is that it's absolutely great for people who want to try a game, but that's not really an aspect of criticism.

Alaois posted:

neither is Your Posting and yet

Your unironic forums grudge is the gift that keeps on giving.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The LP forum's look at Knights of the Old Republic 2 is legit great, as is research indicates's look at Trespasser.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Immediacy can be harmful to criticism, because criticism does demand some degree of distance and detachment to work. LPs also have the basic problem that they're mostly unedited, which is anturally going to hamper any greater argument or statement. And the goals of entertainment aren't ultimately the same as those of criticism, so there's always that fundamental proble.

The big advantage of LPs is that it's absolutely great for people who want to try a game, but that's not really an aspect of criticism.

Your unironic forums grudge is the gift that keeps on giving.

I think this may be where your tendency towards narrow-minded snobbery might be tripping you up again. Detached analysis gives you part of an artistic experience, and while it's a very important part, it's not the whole. When a piece of art is partially or totally built around an immediate aesthetic experience, or around immersing you in a particular atmosphere and mindset, a moment-to-moment record of that can be very useful for helping you understand whether or not (and how) the piece succeeds in that goal.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

I think this may be where your tendency towards narrow-minded snobbery might be tripping you up again. Detached analysis gives you part of an artistic experience, and while it's a very important part, it's not the whole. When a piece of art is partially or totally built around an immediate aesthetic experience, or around immersing you in a particular atmosphere and mindset, a moment-to-moment record of that can be very useful for helping you understand whether or not (and how) the piece succeeds in that goal.

Nobody is demanding that criticism "give" parts or whole of an artistic experience, because criticism isn't a substitute for art. It's the practice of evaluating and understanding art and artistic experience. Proper criticism can only come from a detached place in one's consciousness that can observe art and the observer themselves.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

The LP forum's look at Knights of the Old Republic 2 is legit great, as is research indicates's look at Trespasser.

research indicate's Trespasser LP is kinda special, though, in that it's pretty meticulously put together. All the footage was pre-recorded, then the VO was written and matched up. It is, in a lot of ways, a casual essay about Trespasser that just happens to be as long as the game itself.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LFK posted:

research indicate's Trespasser LP is kinda special, though, in that it's pretty meticulously put together. All the footage was pre-recorded, then the VO was written and matched up. It is, in a lot of ways, a casual essay about Trespasser that just happens to be as long as the game itself.

Still though, it shows that there is merit in long form, off the cuff analysis. (Yes I know it was prerecorded, but the point still stands that if you know what you're talking about, an LP can be a good source of information)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

They can. It depends on the objective of the LP'er. Here's Matthewmatosis playing Dark Souls for 6 edited hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV16ROaHVfo

And I've seen lots of LP's on this forum where games get torn apart and examined piece by piece as players go through them, both by posters in the thread and the players themselves. I think the best examples of that would be Donkey Kong 64 by Dazzling Addar, where they start out very optimistic with fond memories of the game and slowly go insane as they realize the game really does suck.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I really really don't like mattheewmatosis and just don't understand his popularity as a critic, his stuff is the most surface level poo poo and he goes into technical asides that are often completely wrong or misunderstandings about how game engines work

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

cat doter posted:

I really really don't like mattheewmatosis and just don't understand his popularity as a critic, his stuff is the most surface level poo poo and he goes into technical asides that are often completely wrong or misunderstandings about how game engines work

If I remember right from this video he seems to be unaware that there is a bonfire in the upper area of Blighttown and even talks in length about how From should have added one in that area.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
This is an older video but a great dissection of 24's Jack Bauer and the world he lives in.

"I WISH EVERYONE ELSE WAS DEAD." PRETTY GOOD, EPISODE 7.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's really good.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I haven't watched that much of MatthewMattosis's stuff, but I really liked his Bioshock: Infinite review; it does a good job of highlighting all the various problems with the game and the narrative. I'd actually like to sit down and watch the Dark Souls commentary in full, since I recently got into DS1 after dismissing it for the last few years.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
:laffo: http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/23/15039978/yooka-laylee-jontron-removed-playtonic

quote:

“We recently became aware of comments made by voice artist JonTron after development on Yooka-Laylee had been completed,” Playtonic said in a statement to GamesIndustry.biz, adding that “in light of his recent personal viewpoints we have made the decision to remove JonTron’s inclusion in the game via a forthcoming content update.” The game is set for release on April 11.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

haha nice

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ess jay double yoos win again!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

He's also a huge Banjo-Kazooie fan, so that's gotta cut deep.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Yeah I always figured his subscriber base would remain roughly the same since most people can't really be assed to unsub from anything so I've been way more interested in seeing how companies respond to him. Hopefully this is the start of something really hilarious.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Thompsons posted:

Yeah I always figured his subscriber base would remain roughly the same since most people can't really be assed to unsub from anything so I've been way more interested in seeing how companies respond to him. Hopefully this is the start of something really hilarious.

Wasn't there a graph of his subscribers falling of a cliff ITC? I wouldn't be suprised if it continues to trend down

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Last I checked it was that he'd lost 10k subscribers over it, but given he's still got over 3 mil subs it doesn't seem like much of a loss. Like I said I think most of it is people just sub to something and never bother removing it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pants Donkey posted:

He's also a huge Banjo-Kazooie fan, so that's gotta cut deep.

I genuinely hope he feels sad over that, maybe there's a chance if he actually feels hurt that one of his favorite game's makers find him gross enough to patch their loving game to remove him then he'll find himself asking why.

Of course he'll probably decide the answer is "THE CROMULISTS CONSPIRED AGAINST ME" but hey at least the chance is there for him to go to 'maybe I suck?'

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This is really good. I hope the A Hat in Time devs end up removing JonTron's cameo from their game as well.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

I genuinely hope he feels sad over that, maybe there's a chance if he actually feels hurt that one of his favorite game's makers find him gross enough to patch their loving game to remove him then he'll find himself asking why.

Of course he'll probably decide the answer is "THE CROMULISTS CONSPIRED AGAINST ME" but hey at least the chance is there for him to go to 'maybe I suck?'

Well it wouldn't be the first time he got shot down by someone he admired.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
what in the gently caress is per-censorship? is that what my dad calls "think before you say a loving word that makes you look like a dumbass"?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yes.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What Jontron do for the game that they cut?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
He voiced a minor character. Presumably, they got someone else to do the voicework--or eliminated the character entirely.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Mraagvpeine posted:

What Jontron do for the game that they cut?

He did a guest voice for one of the characters. Of course, being a send-up to Banjo-Kazooie, all of the actual dialogue is in written from with the actual voice work simply being a series of gibberish grunts delivered alongside it, so I can't imagine it would take too much time or effort to swap him out.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, I forgot how censorship lost all meaning among people like that.

"This company is willingly changing something! That's censorship!" Motherfucker, you don't know what censorship is. They probably think all the actual censorship the Trump Administration is doing right now is A-OK! Or at least don't view it as such.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Man, I forgot how censorship lost all meaning among people like that.

"This company is willingly changing something! That's censorship!" Motherfucker, you don't know what censorship is. They probably think all the actual censorship the Trump Administration is doing right now is A-OK! Or at least don't view it as such.

My family took a vacation to China, and we were watching... I think BBC or something. All of a sudden, the screen went black and the audio cut out, but the TV was still on. After a moment, things returned to normal. Then, a few moments later, it happened again. We figured out that this was happening because there was news about something in Taiwan going on.

I think about that every time I see some motherfucker whining about censorship and free speech because people didn't take kindly to their words. You wanna talk spoiled millennials, it's that poo poo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

My family took a vacation to China, and we were watching... I think BBC or something. All of a sudden, the screen went black and the audio cut out, but the TV was still on. After a moment, things returned to normal. Then, a few moments later, it happened again. We figured out that this was happening because there was news about something in Taiwan going on.

I think about that every time I see some motherfucker whining about censorship and free speech because people didn't take kindly to their words. You wanna talk spoiled millennials, it's that poo poo.

That's just the government protecting their interests and preventing terrorists, see. Totally different from SJWs ruining my all-important toys. Apropos to nothing, I had my first real encounter with someone that has, let's just say, problematic views while at school today. This person thinks the higher frequency of trans people, especially transgirls, coming out is not due to an increasing liberal and accepting society (major caveat: we really aren't, but it's slowly slowly slowly improving) but because it's a Russian plot to demonize masculinity to thin out the population (because transgirls don't want to have kids). Also lumped crossdressers in that group. I thought I heard 4chan mentioned, too.

So yeah, it's something else to come across folk like this in real life than seeing videos of them or reading about them on the net. Completely different experience than encountering racists and poo poo. A lot more tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jimbot posted:

They probably think all the actual censorship the Trump Administration is doing right now is A-OK! Or at least don't view it as such.
A lot of them don't even like Trump. I don't think JonTron does, or at least didn't back in 2016. Who knows now.

It's like a step or two removed from alt-right people. Basically a Phil Ochs liberal that espouses most left-wing points until it requires action or change on their part.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Puppy Time posted:

Honestly I wish we would just ban the word censorship because just about nobody who rattles their saber about it knows what the gently caress it means
yes that's :thejoke:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

AVGN did a video on Power Rangers, with an AVGN theme based on the Power Rangers theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht5NmRtWb88

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Thompsons posted:

Well it wouldn't be the first time he got shot down by someone he admired.

Sort of unrelated but didn't Neil have a huge meltdown banme? I think his name on here was Trapezoid. I've done a little digging and I can't seem to dig it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Roth posted:

AVGN did a video on Power Rangers, with an AVGN theme based on the Power Rangers theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht5NmRtWb88

I haven't watched the video yet but I hope he says the first SNES game had loving incredible music

• Locked thread