Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what if... different factions ruled different planets in a system and it painted the system map accordingly. sweet sweet map painting on all scales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

what if... different factions ruled different planets in a system and it painted the system map accordingly. sweet sweet map painting on all scales

And what if... there was only one color, making it incredibly hard to tell what belongs to what? Perfection!

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I am so excited to play tall. Being tall as gently caress is what's good about games like this.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

OwlFancier posted:

That physiclly hurt to read.

I think one of my testicles just tried to escape it actually hurt.

That's just puberty.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I want stellaris to require me to manage exclusively through space email correspondences with all of my leaders. Maybe be able to interview new leaders by asking a canned selection of questions to know if they will be a good culture fit and competent enough to follow through with my instructions and also provide valuable feedback that can inform subsequent space emails

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i just want someone to make an updated spaceward ho

Sword of the Stars is basically the same systems with better combat but I feel ya, brother. Space should be fun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Research should be a really pretty screen showing a huge lab complex in order to increase immersion and make it feel like our labs mean something. Instead of just clicking the tech you wanted to research like some sort of boring ol' spreadsheet you should have to select an actual 3d scientist and order them to move to the correct building and see them walk over. Sometimes though while they are researching they get distracted and wander out of their lab and just stand there so you have to keep checking and ordering them back in. This would make research much more tactical and immersive and just be cool.

Also you should have to design the EDC (every day carry) for each of your scientists. What type of pens do they have on them? Pocket protector material? Tape on glasses or not? What model of computer watch? Different combos of scientist EDC would give slight bonuses to what they are researching. Now yes, you could crunch the numbers and realize there was one basic design for all your scientists that would be optimal, but not having control of their EDC would make the game extremely bland.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 23, 2017

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I feel like you all may have gone mad from the anticip-

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bunch of fanatic collectivists itt :jerkbag:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
We are all suffering from Utopia withdrawal.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Research should be a really pretty screen showing a huge lab complex in order to increase immersion and make it feel like our labs mean something. Instead of just clicking the tech you wanted to research like some sort of boring ol' spreadsheet you should have to select an actual 3d scientist and order them to move to the correct building and see them walk over. Sometimes though while they are researching they get distracted and wander out of their lab and just stand there so you have to keep checking and ordering them back in. This would make research much more tactical and immersive and just be cool.

Also you should have to design the EDC (every day carry) for each of your scientists. What type of pens do they have on them? Pocket protector material? Tape on glasses or not? What model of computer watch? Different combos of scientist EDC would give slight bonuses to what they are researching. Now yes, you could crunch the numbers and realize there was one basic design for all your scientists that would be optimal, but not having control of their EDC would make the game extremely bland.

Heck yes!!! Can you imagine if you were also able to review their grant proposals and you could take on the role of director of science and could approve, submit feedback, or decline their proposals in real time while thousands of your navy men are being frozen, suffocated, boiled, burned, or utterly obliterated in the cold reaches of space in order to advance your empire's interests?! :jackbud: :jackbud:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Baronjutter posted:

A system having an optimal solution doesn't make all the other options pointless and lovely, unless the ONLY reason you're playing is as an exercise in optimization. Especially when other solution are also acceptable; Stellaris isn't a game about Solving Ship Design Once And For All.

I mean, optimization IS a part of the game, obviously, and a fun part. Gaining experience with a given system is fun (for most people) no matter whether you're playing a tabletop RPG, a space 4X, or a farming game. But for most people, they're looking for a combination of experiences that it'd take way too long to categorize here. Some people (like you, apparently, and no insult is intended) view Stellaris as being primarily about optimization, and anything that makes that less interesting is a failure of the game, but I'm almost certain the game wasn't designed for that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Speaking of deaths, I think some sort of manpower system would be cool and make wars feel like they're coming at a great price. Ground battles mean something if you're losing millions of your own people to take a planet, or billions of your civilians died in a long drawn out siege.

Planets/pops in the game are practically invincible and minerals are the only thing holding you back. There's never a "human cost" to war. Force the player to not just make a single doomstack because they need to protect their front from the enemy who can get in and seriously gently caress poo poo up beyond popping some useless mining stations. At the same time give more options and better movement mechanics to make "fronts" naturally form along borders. Your heavily militarized border system protects your soft inner systems, because if the enemy breaks through they can kill billions with bio-weapons or just orbital bombardment (which of course earn that player the ire of the international community for atrocities). I'd love for planets and our pops to be squishy things that need to be protected, that a huge fleet getting into orbit is a seriously bad thing and lets that enemy potentially glass the place or at least cause crippling economic damage. But at the same time give us way more power to intercept fleets and defend our borders.

/\ nah I mainly only play these sort of things for the narrative and immersion or what ever, I love that poo poo when it works. I just get zero joy out of putting a plasma gun or a laser on a spaceship when I have no real feedback on what that's doing, the system it's working in that it's not giving me the feedback needed to make my choices feel fun or meaningful. In games with hands-on tactical combat I love designing ships, not just to be optimal but to be cool and try out fun or weird designs. In stellaris the battles them selves are just hands off automated spreadsheets so I don't feel any reward for designing the ships, they never feel customized or my own. In moo2 I'd give every ship a name and a slightly different loadout just to give things more character, because there was a payoff, I was seeing those ships in battle and really understanding how they were performing. In stellaris it's just throwing two giant numbers at each other then a bunch of weird math happens then you either won the war or didn't. I never get to really notice the effects of my choices so it makes those choices feel meaningless. I don't even think the battles look cool, it's just a random mess of meaningless flashes and explosions and ships fading away. I never zoomed in and watched a battle and thought "woah, this is cool." Watching the battles up close just drive home how bad the ship AI is and how meaningless your choices are.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 23, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Nah, it's totally enough to just simulate research by binding it to your infrastructure. Build more stuff, get better tech.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

That's actually a good point, the civilian bits of your empire SHOULD be squishy and in need of protecting. The problem, of course, is that this is a Paradox game, so you just know that the people who use the mod that gets rid of non-white portraits are going to ruin it for everyone.

Maybe something like how a faction can demand that you have X ground armies on every planet, there can be a faction (or other new mechanic) that rewards having X fleet power in all your systems or something.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 23, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

John Lee posted:

A system having an optimal solution doesn't make all the other options pointless and lovely, unless the ONLY reason you're playing is as an exercise in optimization. Especially when other solution are also acceptable; Stellaris isn't a game about Solving Ship Design Once And For All.

A game system that boils down to a single optimal solution isn't really a game. Yes, sure, the players can voluntarily choose to do something else for flavor, but that doesn't mean the system is well designed if it can't offer players meaningful choices other than "what will be my gimmick for this LP?".

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 23, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

That's actually a good point, the civilian bits of your empire should be squishy and need protecting. The problem, of course, is that this is a Paradox game, so you just know that the people who use the mod that gets rid of non-white portraits are going to ruin it for everyone.

if paradox even remotely worried about that they wouldn't be making hearts of iron

civilian death from wars being a bigger thing could easily make wars even more punishing on the losing side, especially early on when a handful of pops matter more

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
jfc...I really, really restrained myself from posting my sperg ITT about what I'd like to see in regards to space combat, but the amount of bad opinion ITT compels me to add my own on the subject:

1.)In the strategic sense of the galaxy map,

a) Specific and accurate space empire, location and numbers reports at the side on the outliner to complement the 'hostile fleet detected' warnings, so as to be quickly glanced at and decided upon, whether they merit me jumping into the system to observe its course or if I can ignore it.
b) Ditto for 'enemy fleet engaged' warnings. Just fill the outliner at the right side (or perhaps the left, if it makes sense and is out of room) with information so we can get into the habit of glancing at it quickly and efficiently when the warning alerts popup.
c) A quick highlight via the existing 'track on map' animations whenever mouseovering the specific hostile fleet/engagement in the outliner while looking at the galaxy view. Super important, since I can't remember where exactly dozens and dozens of systems are actually located in a galaxy that is constantly regenerated and systems reshuffled every different game.

2.) In the tactical sense of the system map,

a) Terrain, terrain, terrain when it comes to space combat modifiers! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVlSNP1jEI&t=1806s Fleet fights super close to a star? I expect the solar radiation to affect the shields to function less efficiently. Near a Pulsar/Neutron star? Might be completely negated. Near a gravity well? Wouldn't it make sense the fleet that was stationary (defensive) would've already compensated for it while the aggressors have to spend energy for it, making their shots less accurate? Etc. I don't really care too much for the specifics, but make each system's position of stellar bodies map out its tactical terrain and have us give a drat to zoom in on the systems with battles about to or happening more often. Right now, there is only one reason in this vein for me to do so and that is getting my medium-short range fleets perform warp-in ambushes at close range on enemy fleets - and that's already p fun. Please...more of this.
b) Rules of engagement for seperate fleets. Maybe we don't want to engage literally every mining station (know Wiz is already aware of this one), but maybe we also want to order fleets to not always enter combat at max range if they're scout fleets, whose job isn't to fight but to maintain sensor information? Ofc, if the enemy fleet does have 'engage at max range' rules, that would override our own.
c) Engagement priorities for seperate fleets. Alternatively, maybe we want to give specific orders to our fleets as to which ship type/station type they should target first? Make a fleet of nothing but destroyers and give them specific orders: Target corvettes first regardless upon engagement, then move on to other targets. Make a fleet of longrange Battleships and give them the order to focus down enemy stations first always, only then move on to enemy incoming ships. That way, the micromanagement of our own fleets for specific system assaults actually makes sense and pays off, as does a quickly reacting defender setting up counter fleets (cruiser fleet to counter the destroyers and corvette torpedo fleet to counter the battleships). Alternatively, trick out battleships full of hangars, make bombers/fighters be effective against small ships too and order them to target corvettes first and annihilate them if they don't have point defense or flak support! Enemy player sees battleships, thinks: "Oh, more arty ships huh?" doesn't check the ship details button as they warp in, sends out corvettes, and gets them killed for his presumption.

Those are the ones off the top of my head, my opinion being only of the highest McSperglord Stellar class, also...

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 23, 2017

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I like this game and I'm excited for the expansion.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hey wiz what's up. just saying hi. we're friends. [to no one in particular, and also not as a suggestion] star types should support a distinct maximum fleet capacity in their respective system, with ships going over this limit not contributing fully to battles in that system

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

oddium posted:

hey wiz what's up. just saying hi. we're friends. [to no one in particular, and also not as a suggestion] star types should support a distinct maximum fleet capacity in their respective system, with ships going over this limit not contributing fully to battles in that system

No! No! This opinion sucks and you suck and etc etc etc

Seriously, maybe not quite my cup of tea, but it would emphasize the 'each star system has its own terrain you need to consider' idea I'm fond of so if it's done well in conjunction with other changes, it might even work out fine.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Prawned posted:

I like this game and I'm excited for the expansion.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
wiz, have you guys ever thought about an event log, so when I click through the 35 diplomacy events going on and skip something I did care about I could go back and check it out? Additional points if it has tabs/filters by things like diplomacy/research/etc. For analomies especially, since I tend to click them away habitually even though I'd like reading the text from time to time. Storing them in a little log would let me check them out after I find a little downtime.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Mazz posted:

wiz, have you guys ever thought about an event log, so when I click through the 35 diplomacy events going on and skip something I did care about I could go back and check it out? Additional points if it has tabs/filters by things like diplomacy/research/etc.

Also for analogies especially, since I tend to click them away habitually even though I'd like reading the text from time to time. Storing them ina little log would ups let me check them out after I find a little downtime.

Ive searched the UI a few times for this, cos its obviously somewhere.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Think of all the time and budget they could have saved if they had replaced all the fancy race art with nato counters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Think of all the time and budget they could have saved if they had replaced all the fancy race art with nato counters.

I mean, there's nothing strictly stopping you making the NATOpians and actually doing that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, there's nothing strictly stopping you making the NATOpians and actually doing that.

Holy poo poo I might do that, they'll look amazing animated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can probably replace the ships with flat planes with the appropriate counter for the ship class pasted on it too.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I had an MP game of this with three friends. By chance, we all chose the exact same shade of red. Also, two of them chose the same faction symbol. We each took over about 1/4 of the galaxy before the war started. It made things kind of tricky.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Krazyface posted:

I had an MP game of this with three friends. By chance, we all chose the exact same shade of red. Also, two of them chose the same faction symbol. We each took over about 1/4 of the galaxy before the war started. It made things kind of tricky.

Try playing the game while also red-green colour blind. Soooo many subtly different shades :(

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Dog Kisser posted:

Sorry to keep spamming pictures, just playing with colour differences.

edit: vvv Sure, will do!

Edit: Ha, this is the top Steam mod for Stellaris, everyone already knows about it.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 24, 2017

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

It too bad they didnt wait to fix ground combat before requiring unrest garrisons.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I am searching through the game files, looking for the variable I need to change in order to stop the AI from researching gene modding, because jesus loving christ this is annoying:

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 24, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I want to build a fortress world instead of having retarded rings of space stations that are loving worthless after the midgame

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Baron Porkface posted:

It too bad they didnt wait to fix ground combat before requiring unrest garrisons.

Be thankful they didn't add some "military police" attachment that gives troops a pacification bonus forcing you to use the attachment interface.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

VirtualStranger posted:

I am searching through the game files, looking for the variable I need to change in order to stop the AI from researching gene modding, because jesus loving christ this is annoying:

That's just insane. But how in the world can the AI afford the gene points to make all those modifications?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

MadJackal posted:

You should post this over at /r/Stellaris!

I did! It's blown up!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

VirtualStranger posted:

This could so easily be solved by simply adding traits and environment prefs to your primary species representing the more specialized diversity. You're never using more than 1 planet preference at a time so just stack them. Have humans that have continental AND ocean habitability. It's the same species but it's just abstracting the fact that you can at-will gene mod your pops to enjoy those planets. Don't make me make seperate pops with a mineral extraction bonus, a farming bonus, a an engineering bonus and so on, just stack them. A pop is only ever using one of those bonuses at a time, so just de-clutter the list and represent that increased diversity within your species. Your own gene modded pops don't count for xenophobia if they have the same name/portrait anyways. I can't think of anything that would be lost, other than spam on the species list.

I always assumed that the gene-modding techs is something you're doing to your people more dynamically. You move from your continental planet to this new ocean planet, no problem a doctor just activates your dormant gill genes. Moving to a desert planet? No problem, visit the clinic a few times and within a month your metabolism has been adjusted for the higher temperatures and your body conserves water better. So just stack the planet preferences and assume your pops are getting what ever genes and bio-engineering activated as needed when they move around.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dog Kisser posted:

I did! It's blown up!

when i look at stellaris in my steam library rn it's the mod it suggests next to the workshop link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Baronjutter posted:

This could so easily be solved by simply adding traits and environment prefs to your primary species representing the more specialized diversity. You're never using more than 1 planet preference at a time so just stack them. Have humans that have continental AND ocean habitability. It's the same species but it's just abstracting the fact that you can at-will gene mod your pops to enjoy those planets. Don't make me make seperate pops with a mineral extraction bonus, a farming bonus, a an engineering bonus and so on, just stack them. A pop is only ever using one of those bonuses at a time, so just de-clutter the list and represent that increased diversity within your species. Your own gene modded pops don't count for xenophobia if they have the same name/portrait anyways. I can't think of anything that would be lost, other than spam on the species list.

I agree 100%. I used to avoid gene modding for that very reason until I upgraded my PC. But that species list used to get so big that it actually prevented me from using a game feature for a few months. That's bad!

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 24, 2017

• Locked thread