Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

InitialDave posted:

Haha, "just" 140mm on a hardtail. Things have changed a bit, yeah.

Could you point me to the MTB thread?

By just, I meant the design isn't advertised for less travel, like the Cotics. The P7 review should be a few pages back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

By just, I meant the design isn't advertised for less travel, like the Cotics. The P7 review should be a few pages back.
Ah, right. It looks like Cotic spec the Soul for 140mm max, recommended 120mm, but the BFe is listed as being for 140mm, so it's probably the closer parallel to the P7.

Oh, also adding the Pace RC127 to the list of contenders.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I sincerely hope Pace have upped their quality control. I used to live in Leeds and rode with a bunch of people with Pace frames and forks, a couple were sponsored. The forks needed nigh on weekly stripping down to work as they should in a world where Fox and Rock Shox forks were just tanks. Also the 'cheap' Pace frames were honestly as shittily welded as Halfords cheapo far Eastern ones. I was honestly shocked just how crap they were...

I got to go on a factory tour due to knowing the riders and the warranty department was packed to the rafters with chimps twatting things with hammers. It's not like the company was huge at the time but that department was loving busyyyyyyyy

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

From looking at the laptop, it has definitely had some pressure applied to it for long periods of time, there are wear marks on the palm rest and in other places.

Buying a replacement screens for the X220 is a risky proposition, you can pretty much only get them from random Chinese resellers, and they don't give a poo poo, every panel is "A+ quality", according to them. Even panels with pixel faults and bright spots. So I would likely just end up with something even worse.

I'm gonna return it for a refund, and look for something else.

rip. sorry bud :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

keykey posted:

Just do yourself a favor and do auto debit. I've done that from day 1 and don't have to think about poo poo other than how loving expensive school is.

Last time I did auto debit for something, I wound up nearly a grand in the hole between NSF fees and the charge going through something like 15 times.

I gave it a shot with Sallie Mae recently.. they pulled the money, then claimed I never paid. It took several weeks to get that straightened out, since they wanted an actual bank statement (which I obviously only get once a month) showing the money had come out, and wouldn't accept a screenshot from online banking, a letter from my bank, etc.

I don't trust auto debit now. At least not EFT auto debit.

Geoj posted:

I was (up until last month) a computer janitor at a call center, FWIW the people you're talking to literally have no idea why they're calling you until they start talking to you. They don't even dial your number unless they're working for some shoestring outfit - they sit at a computer, their CRM application pops and they're connected with whoever and likely read prompts off an on-screen script.

You're likely getting called because the call center is run by a third party and Sally Mae hasn't notified their call center that your payment has posted. If this happens again ask to talk to a supervisor, and that supervisor's supervisor (and so on) until you get someone who can pull strings in their database and get you off the poo poo list. Otherwise they'll just keep calling until the client tells them to stop.

I did. And the call center reps I spoke with told me they worked directly for Sallie Mae.

Previa_fun posted:

I'm all about you should pay your bills BUUUUUT:

Collection agencies are the loving scum of the earth.

I had a run in with one in 2009 when I was a college student and admittedly, I hosed up and forgot to pay something. They not only called me, but when they couldn't reach me because I was on a camping trip in the middle of the woods at the time, they called my dad's cell phone and his home number which my sister picked up because she was the only one home at the time.

After I told the lady that I realized I had made a mistake and would fix it and would like not to be called anymore she got really aggressive and asked me several times if I was refusing to pay.

I googled the company and it turns out they're a collections agency that specialized in college account. Real stand up folks, harassing college kids and their families.

tl;dr: pay your bills but gently caress collections agencies.

Oh I agree, collection agencies are mostly scum. This is Sallie Mae themselves calling though, and I was still in the drat grace period.

I haven't had a call today (yet), though I left a very nasty voicemail on their "consumer advocate" voicemail last night.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Last time I did auto debit for something, I wound up nearly a grand in the hole between NSF fees and the charge going through something like 15 times.

I gotta agree with you on that one. I will never give anyone permission to auto-debit my ANYTHING after the fiasco I had with Verizon.
Besides, what happens if I die? They'll just keep charging my account until my estate gets settled. gently caress that. I'm dead. I ain't paying you poo poo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
auto pay to your credit card, collect those reward points or cashback, pay it off every single month.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

auto pay to your credit card, collect those reward points or cashback, pay it off every single month.

I just entered the world of points and card churning last month...I am addicted!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I sincerely hope Pace have upped their quality control. I used to live in Leeds and rode with a bunch of people with Pace frames and forks, a couple were sponsored. The forks needed nigh on weekly stripping down to work as they should in a world where Fox and Rock Shox forks were just tanks. Also the 'cheap' Pace frames were honestly as shittily welded as Halfords cheapo far Eastern ones. I was honestly shocked just how crap they were...

I got to go on a factory tour due to knowing the riders and the warranty department was packed to the rafters with chimps twatting things with hammers. It's not like the company was huge at the time but that department was loving busyyyyyyyy
Ha, that's good feedback, i suppose, thanks.

I am enjoying the window shopping though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

keykey posted:

Just do yourself a favor and do auto debit. I've done that from day 1 and don't have to think about poo poo other than how loving expensive school is.
Auto debit is the devil. Always push the payment from the bank side (bill pay, etc) rather than pulling. Much easier to cancel a push than a pull.

And yeah, CC for everything you can (without a fee, which wipes out the cash back / points benefit)

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 23, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

I mean sure, but you don't have to use auto pay. It's still a potential headache. I don't mind paying bills as they come in.

Speaking of credit card rewards, what are you guys using? I was on a 1% rewards Capital One for years, cashing the points in for fuel cards, but just switched to a Capital One Quicksilver cause it's 1.5% cash back.

I have a 1% cash back American Express for backup. Neither card charges an annual fee, and I pay them off every month.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

angryrobots posted:

I mean sure, but you don't have to use auto pay. It's still a potential headache. I don't mind paying bills as they come in.

Speaking of credit card rewards, what are you guys using? I was on a 1% rewards Capital One for years, cashing the points in for fuel cards, but just switched to a Capital One Quicksilver cause it's 1.5% cash back.

I have a 1% cash back American Express for backup. Neither card charges an annual fee, and I pay them off every month.
Citi double cash. 2% on everything, no hassles with minimums or anything, no AF. I have a CSP I need to cancel to avoid the fee soonish too.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

And the call center reps I spoke with told me they worked directly for Sallie Mae.

This is call center BS 101. All the agents at the company I worked for were told to tell customers they worked "directly" for whatever client they were taking calls for too, and from what I gather it's fairly standard within the industry.

I'd be stunned if Sallie Mae runs their own call centers, it's always cheaper to outsource.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

angryrobots posted:

costco card, pretty good since i have good access to a few locations for most of my gas fill ups.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the Ink Business Preferred

180,000 sweet bonus points

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

everdave posted:

I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the Ink Business Preferred

180,000 sweet bonus points
I'm debating on the CSR. $500 is a lot to pay for an AF, even if the rewards are pretty enticing. I wouldn't pay more than one AF, either way. Maybe if I traveled more consistently.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

costco card, pretty good since i have good access to a few locations for most of my gas fill ups.

It was weird visiting a US Costco and finding the card there was a visa instead of MC, like. It is here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

rip. sorry bud :(

At least there's a 14-day unconditional right to return any online purchases.

I'm going to go with a T420 (1600x900 and hopefully dual-band wifi) from a different website.

At least Thinkpads are hilariously easy to upgrade if I end up with one of the lovely 2.4GHz-only wifi cards.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So, hey, remember that thing where the host company for my outsourcing employer doesn't like me any more?
Just found out today my last day here is 3/31, when the new guy showed up for knowledge transfer.

gently caress the host company and their prissy little thin-skinned users forever. 17 loving years and one little poo poo who has the ear of the VP IS fucks everything up. Congrats, enjoy the new guy who doesn't know you, or care. Also, gently caress the rear end in a top hat douchbag VP IS who a) thinks that anyone who was one of the "old guard" needs to go, and b) listens to user whining. you want kid gloves, or someone who knows what they're doing?
Just when I'd finally gotten a decent salary, too. My company will try to find me another gig, but for some reason, I'm not optimistic.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

At least there's a 14-day unconditional right to return any online purchases.

I'm going to go with a T420 (1600x900 and hopefully dual-band wifi) from a different website.

At least Thinkpads are hilariously easy to upgrade if I end up with one of the lovely 2.4GHz-only wifi cards.

Don't some of them have a whitelist for WiFi cards? My old x61s had that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CharlesM posted:

Don't some of them have a whitelist for WiFi cards? My old x61s had that.

Yeah, they do. But the appropriate cards are :10bux: on Ebay. And you can get a modified BIOS, which removes the whitelist.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
On my x230 you have to basically hook up a raspberry pi and dump/mod/reflash the bios with it running and pulled apart using a test clip that barely held onto the bios chip.

It was a huge pain in the rear end just to save $50 over the lenovo-sold variant of the card.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Citi double cash. 2% on everything, no hassles with minimums or anything, no AF. I have a CSP I need to cancel to avoid the fee soonish too.

Ooo I'll have to look into that.

Look I know we don't do politics here, but you guys have to see this because omg

It's the birth of Immortan Joe. Today trump wore an "I :love: TRUCKS" button, sat in a rig and pretended to drive, truth is stranger than fiction

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's your god drat president, americans.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's my president

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Why didn't he wear his truck button in the truck, huh?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

angryrobots posted:

Ooo I'll have to look into that.

Look I know we don't do politics here, but you guys have to see this because omg

It's the birth of Immortan Joe. Today trump wore an "I :love: TRUCKS" button, sat in a rig and pretended to drive, truth is stranger than fiction

Than man is just so loving bizarre. Surronds himself with god and the trapping of the ultra rich, he clearly hates the White House and yet when he's on an aircraft carrier or a in a truck he looks like he is a big kid having the time of his life.

Okay I'd become a big kid too but still. I just cant imagine any President just going BRRM BRRRM I DRIVE BIG TRUCK YAY

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Than man is just so loving bizarre. Surronds himself with god and the trapping of the ultra rich, he clearly hates the White House and yet when he's on an aircraft carrier or a in a truck he looks like he is a big kid having the time of his life.

Okay I'd become a big kid too but still. I just cant imagine any President just going BRRM BRRRM I DRIVE BIG TRUCK YAY

Ok, ok, I hear you, but I also think that W might have done something similar to the first picture

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

ilkhan posted:

I'm debating on the CSR. $500 is a lot to pay for an AF, even if the rewards are pretty enticing. I wouldn't pay more than one AF, either way. Maybe if I traveled more consistently.

Not to derail into CC chat but if you do anything remotely travel related (rent a car, stay in a hotel, buy airline ticket) $300 per year of that gets credited back so fee only $150. They pay for Global Entry which is $100 back so if I use that it's down to $50, and don't even get me started on other benefits like primary rental car insurance and Priority Pass airport lounge access. The CSP is solid card too and only $95 year.

everdave fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 24, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Costco has some season plants in stock at the moment and they have 12~ ft fishtail palms for 60 bucks. Normally they go for $160. We shoved it in the tiny van and it was flawlessly handled.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
People seem to have gone crazy over the black license plates in California. They also seem like they're actually a really dark green or something.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Is that like, a... a Setter-Dachshundhuahua? :3:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

The Door Frame posted:

Ok, ok, I hear you, but I also think that W might have done something similar to the first picture
When you dodge the draft in Vietnam, you gotta get your playtime on the military toys somewhere.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh I dunno. Sometimes you get to surprise them at the next set of lights and they get all embarrassed and scared and wont look at you. Especially if you are really pissed and ready to deck the oval office. The passenger I think wet themselves.

101kms, head winds and for the first time in years I got caught out without sunscreen. I am soooooo burnt

Where did you manage to find sun in NSW? You're a gaddam magician

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

slothrop posted:

Where did you manage to find sun in NSW? You're a gaddam magician

I'm in Melbourne right now. Have been for the last two weeks. I've heard tho the rain has been rather epic confirm/deny?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Confirm. 2 days of sun so far this month. It's wearing thin.

Highly recommend Bovine and Swine in Newtown. It's not cheap, but it is good.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Costco has some season plants in stock at the moment and they have 12~ ft fishtail palms for 60 bucks. Normally they go for $160. We shoved it in the tiny van and it was flawlessly handled.

Nice, I've got three fishtails in my back yard and one of them is a gigantic specimen that I saved from the dumpster over a decade ago. Glorious palms but they make a loving mess once they are mature.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
poo poo, I would have at least let him drive it around the lot, Obama got to drive that corvette up the whitehouse driveway. With no trailer you literally can't stall them- just take your foot off the clutch in one of the like first 5 gears and it starts moving.

One time I was lining up trucks all nice in the front lot, which was gravel, and accidentally took my foot off the clutch with a truck in gear after I'd set the brakes. It didn't stall and just sat there spinning the drive axle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I found a walmart gift card in my glovebox that had a $47 balance on it (i have no idea where it came from) so i went and picked up a Gold's Gym incline bench. Did a few basic workouts on it and I clearly need more than a simple bench so it's getting packed up and returned tomorrow. I have $150 in Amazon GCs from Christmas still so I'm gonna just buy a full bench set that has decent reviews.

• Locked thread