Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wife just got her Pixel XL and she put this Caseology case on it. We mostly hear about Diztronics and Spigens in here so I thought I'd mention that it seems like a pretty nice case. It has a nice look to it, fits well and I like the button feel on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Uh that case is awesome. Thanks for the link!

I generally hate cases but if I can get something gaudy enough I'm all in

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't like the colours personally but that's a nice looking case

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

Thermopyle posted:

Wife just got her Pixel XL and she put this Caseology case on it. We mostly hear about Diztronics and Spigens in here so I thought I'd mention that it seems like a pretty nice case. It has a nice look to it, fits well and I like the button feel on it.

I got the same case for my Pixel but in black. It's really good.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

I just ordered the textured black one for my S7. Here's hoping I can avoid scratching/breaking it before it gets here.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This seems like it would be the best place to ask... does anyone know where I could buy a custom-cut tempered glass screen protector? Specifically, I need a bunch of squares, exactly 5x5, or 5x10 inches. I've found a few places that will custom cut plastic screen protectors but not tempered glass. Before I troll Alibaba to find a factory to do it, was there every any kind of smart device that has those dimensions I could maybe find a pre-existing protector for?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Thermopyle posted:

I have this case on my pixel I get comments on it all the time.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My Nexus 5X rebooted several times today, got very hot, and I had to hot dog the power button to get out to actually get into the OS (it kept getting stuck at the "Google" loading screen). Is it on its way out? I bought Nexus Care with it, but it is a launch device.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thanatosian posted:

My Nexus 5X rebooted several times today, got very hot, and I had to hot dog the power button to get out to actually get into the OS (it kept getting stuck at the "Google" loading screen). Is it on its way out? I bought Nexus Care with it, but it is a launch device.

That's how they all die. 2 in my family went just like that.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thermopyle posted:

Got the burgundy for my wife's pixel and agree, best case I've seen and felt on any phone. It compliments the pixel so well.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've gushed over the camera on the Mate 9 in the past; I still think it's flagship level, just barely behind the Pixels (befitting it's lower 600USD price), but holy cow the battery life. I'll just link the images as filling up your screen with screencaps is probably stupid.

https://flic.kr/p/T28MqT
That's over 2 hours of screen on time, on LTE with my BT headphones connected. 10% battery drain while browsing the forums and Facebook app.

https://flic.kr/p/RYCb3Z
This was an 18.5 hour day, mixed Wifi and LTE, with a lot of video streaming. 8 hours SOT and 22% left in the battery.

If you're a sucker for big phones and battery life, I would whole heartedly recommend this phone without hesitation. As it stands though, I occasionally have issues with the touch responsiveness of the display. It doesn't effect typing or general browsing, but at least once a day I'll have to re-tap some icon to get something to launch or enable a quick setting. I don't think it's user error, and hopefully the EMUI 5.1 update fixes this as it's supposed to have a new driver for the display.

Edit: Others on XDA are less than pleased with the touch responsiveness.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/mate-9/help/touch-sensitivity-t3517075

I don't consider my own experiences as a deal breaker by any means, but it seems to be an issue that some people justifiably find annoying.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 24, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

LG... Life's Good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

G5+ now has an official release date and price for the US. Both 32gb and 64gb can be had with steep discounts with amazon ads.
http://www.droid-life.com/2017/03/23/moto-g5-plus-hits-us-march-31-229-185-amazon-ads/

quote:

The Moto G5 Plus arrives in the US on March 31, folks. When it arrives, it’ll be available for as little as $184.99 if you order the Prime Exclusive version from Amazon, which means it includes Amazon ads sprinkled about. If you want the clean version, it’ll run you at least $229.99.

Those are just starting prices, of course, since the Moto G5 Plus comes in a couple of variations. The $185 and $230 models are the base setups and come equipped with 2GB RAM and 32GB storage. If you want double the RAM (4GB) and internal storage (64GB), you’ll be looking at $239.99 for the Prime Exclusive version or $299.99 for the clean version.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I have the Amazon ads on my Fire tablet, and if it's anything like that on their exclusive phones I would get that G5+ in a heartbeat (if I were shopping). I don't find the ads terribly intrusive on my tablet, and that's a sizeable discount from Moto's MSRP.

Edit: Also, anyone looking at the G5 should really consider shelling out the extra coin for the plus model.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 24, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

G5+ now has an official release date and price for the US. Both 32gb and 64gb can be had with steep discounts with amazon ads.
http://www.droid-life.com/2017/03/23/moto-g5-plus-hits-us-march-31-229-185-amazon-ads/

Awesome was hoping Amazon would do this again.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

LastInLine posted:

LG... Life's Good.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

bull3964 posted:

B&H has them available for pre-order, available on the 28th with free expedited shipping (2-day for most of the east coast). Pricing is $229 or $299 depending on the internal storage.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've just about paid my S6 Edge off, is it looking like the S8 will be a good replacement?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I've just about paid my S6 Edge off, is it looking like the S8 will be a good replacement?

If you really prefer Samsung, yeah? There is a general consensus that the Pixel is a better, smoother and more cohesive device and an overall superior experience to what Samsung does to its phones around here and is generally the recommended high-end phone of choice.

To be fair, though, obviously we haven't gotten our hands on the S8, so there's a chance that'll change. A distant one, but still. And it's a generation up from the Pixels and thus will probably have a superior camera until the Pixel v2 comes out. And if you're fond of the edge design, Samsung's the only place to really get that.

It's got a really goddamn dumb place for a fingerprint scanner though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 24, 2017

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
It'll be a hot seller for sure.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mental Hospitality posted:

Edit: Also, anyone looking at the G5 should really consider shelling out the extra coin for the plus model.

Not really a problem for the US as we aren't getting the G5 at all, we're only getting the Plus.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Just got my Pixel last night and still have a lot to get acquainted with.

My first question that I couldn't answer with a few quick searches, is how the gently caress do I tell the Pixel which contact card is me?

I signed in with my Gmail account and it knows my home and work address etc, but it made a separate contact card at the top of the contacts app for "ME" that just has my name and number. Then there's another contact for me within contacts with my work and home address, my birthday and photo and everything else. How do I tell the phone that's me or to absorb that info into the ME card without just copy/pasting that info over? Clearly the phone knows these details about me already and I would prefer not to have duplicates in my contacts.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I don't have a ME contact on mine. Maybe it was imported? Can you delete it?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

It's at the very top of my contacts list and says ME next to it. Can't be deleted. When I try editing it, it says saving to local profile. All other contacts say saving to my Gmail account. I feel like it was auto-created by the phone somehow.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Do Amazon special offers gently caress up lock screen notifications? Stuff like showing your text messages, etc. Thinking of getting the G5 plus and special offers but I don't want notifications to be screwed up. Is there a picture of exactly what a special offer lockscreen looks like?

edit: Here's what someone in another forum said "I have a Moto g4. ads are not a big deal. If you have a notification, the ad is the size of a front screen notification. if you do not have a notification, it is a full screen ad like a wallpaper. once the screen is unlocked it goes away" That's not too bad! Since it has a fingerprint reader it's not like you're going to see the lockscreen for long anyways if you use fingerprint to login. I have a feeling Amazon is underestimating how beneficial special offers will be for them on this device.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 24, 2017

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Do Amazon special offers gently caress up lock screen notifications? Stuff like showing your text messages, etc. Thinking of getting the G5 plus and special offers but I don't want notifications to be screwed up. Is there a picture of exactly what a special offer lockscreen looks like?

But what about Moto Display?

As somebody with a Moto Z Play, the 625 is an extremely serviceable processor for something mid-tier. Going to be a strong recommendation.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I think the intent is for something that will auto click through a captive portal which the pixel will not do.

The Pixel/Nexus devices will auto connect to open wifi networks and use a Google VPN to secure the connection. They have to be fully open though. No click through, no registration.
My Pixel XL (and 6P before it) pops a notification when I walk into range of the Wi-Fi on the London Underground which has a captive portal with login. When I tap on it I briefly see a WebView and then it just skips right past the login and connects me and closes itself. I don't know how it does that but I assumed it was storing my details or something. Maybe it's just how that Wi-Fi network works.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think it's just how that one works. The one at my office brings up a web view where you have to hit the accept button first, can't do it from just the notification.

In other news, reviews of the HTC U are brutal. Well justified it seems since all the choices involved in the handset are disjointed and bizarre. It seems like they were more interested in making an art piece than a functional smartphone.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Jigoku posted:

But what about Moto Display?

As somebody with a Moto Z Play, the 625 is an extremely serviceable processor for something mid-tier. Going to be a strong recommendation.

Meh, I've had a Moto G 3rd gen and a Moto X Pure now and have never used any of the built in Moto stuff except the messaging and gallery apps. Anything beyond stock Android is silly phone fuckery IMHO.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

mod sassinator posted:

Meh, I've had a Moto G 3rd gen and a Moto X Pure now and have never used any of the built in Moto stuff except the messaging and gallery apps. Anything beyond stock Android is silly phone fuckery IMHO.

What's the point of buying a MXP and turning off active display and stuff like custom phrases to activate google now? :psyduck: What's even the point of getting it over the 5X at that point?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Wrist Watch posted:

What's the point of buying a MXP and turning off active display and stuff like custom phrases to activate google now? :psyduck: What's even the point of getting it over the 5X at that point?

It was $220 on sale (64gb model even), takes microSD cards, works on all carriers and is a great stock Android phone?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mod sassinator posted:

Anything beyond stock Android is silly phone fuckery IMHO.

Yes, Google can do no wrong and has implemented all possible good features in the best possible way.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone who thinks Google's Ambient Display is as good or better than Moto's Active Display is a momo.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Sorry I just don't need all the bells and whistles on a phone. Running more launchers, displays, etc. is just unnecessary bloat and more crap to keep updated, deal with, etc. I use my phone to make calls, send texts, and use a few key apps like Signal or listen to podcasts. Everything else is unnecessary for me. Not a fan of ambient displays or intrusive notifications either. My old Moto G had a bright white notification LED and I hated it. It would light up your room at night just to let you know you had an email or some other nonsense. I need less distractions and notifications in my life, not more.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Yes, Google can do no wrong and has implemented all possible good features in the best possible way.

Agreed.

Edit: oh poo poo, we're talking about Moto screen stuff. Uhhhhhh I'll assume they came up with those features while owned by Google, and therefore their obviously superior implementation is still technically creditable to Google.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
After months of making GBS threads up this thread with 'which phone should I get for both of us', my wife and I both got the g5 plus 4/64 edition with lockscreen for 240 each.

I figure, since the alternative was the 128gb pixel XL that we were looking at: if we buy a new similar-tier phone every single year for three years rather than keeping the pixel for 3 years (which is how long we'd have held on to it if we'd bought it, in order to get our money's worth) we'd MORE than break even (240 x 3 = 720, vs pixel for 869). Also, if we want to buy a new phone that's pixel tier in 1 or 2 or whatever years, we'll have got our money's worth from this phone after 1 year anyway.

I'll post thoughts on the g5+ as soon as I get it, hopefully on friday which is what Amazon promised.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

redreader posted:

After months of making GBS threads up this thread with 'which phone should I get for both of us', my wife and I both got the g5 plus 4/64 edition with lockscreen for 240 each.

I figure, since the alternative was the 128gb pixel XL that we were looking at: if we buy a new similar-tier phone every single year for three years rather than keeping the pixel for 3 years (which is how long we'd have held on to it if we'd bought it, in order to get our money's worth) we'd MORE than break even (240 x 3 = 720, vs pixel for 869). Also, if we want to buy a new phone that's pixel tier in 1 or 2 or whatever years, we'll have got our money's worth from this phone after 1 year anyway.

I'll post thoughts on the g5+ as soon as I get it, hopefully on friday which is what Amazon promised.

That's how I've been doing it and haven't had any regrets. Just get the best value Moto or other stock Android phone for ~$250 every year. Spending $600+ on a phone is insane IMHO. As nice as the Pixel is come this time next year there's going to be better. Just look at how fast stuff like the 6p and 5x disappeared.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ShoogaSlim posted:

Just got my Pixel last night and still have a lot to get acquainted with.

My first question that I couldn't answer with a few quick searches, is how the gently caress do I tell the Pixel which contact card is me?

I signed in with my Gmail account and it knows my home and work address etc, but it made a separate contact card at the top of the contacts app for "ME" that just has my name and number. Then there's another contact for me within contacts with my work and home address, my birthday and photo and everything else. How do I tell the phone that's me or to absorb that info into the ME card without just copy/pasting that info over? Clearly the phone knows these details about me already and I would prefer not to have duplicates in my contacts.

There's a similar contact in Galaxy devices, but it is local to the phone and doesn't (or at least shouldn't, my phone is several years old at this point) get exported. What I did was link it with my Gmail contact.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I think it's just how that one works. The one at my office brings up a web view where you have to hit the accept button first, can't do it from just the notification.

In other news, reviews of the HTC U are brutal. Well justified it seems since all the choices involved in the handset are disjointed and bizarre. It seems like they were more interested in making an art piece than a functional smartphone.

Thats what I don't get about HTC. They had their niche design and even features back in the EVO days, (Freaking bring back the Kickstand already!!!) and the M7 (BoomSound Stereo FFS is worth a bit larger phone bezzle guys).
Hell they even aren't going AMOLED on their stuff yet which is puzzling. Why let Samsung have all the innovation of the market and keep making iPhone clones that everyone hates, but being Apple is the only reason they still get it vs Android and having a ton of other options.

I really want to kick whoever is leading the design team decisions at HTC in the freaking nuts.

However, HTC does know how to stretch the performance of some of the latest hardware out unlike Samsung.....

On that note, the 835 is fast, and its GPU is nuts for a mobile one, considering the Tegra X1 is the only other ARM GPU that appears to be able to touch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Desk Lamp posted:

What I did was link it with my Gmail contact.

How?? It gives me almost zero options to share/merge/do anything with it at all.

I tried biting the bullet and just updating info on this contact card, but it won't let me add a photo from a photo album in the Photos app? Does Google really loving expect me to scroll through ~12 years of Photos that are still syncing in the background to the cloud or what the gently caress ever so I can choose some stupid vanity photo that is already part of the contact card I have for myself but won't let me merge?

e: Not only can I not easily access a photo when trying to add a photo to a contact, but I can't even go into the Photos app, find the photo I want and hit settings to add that to a contact. Where is the uniformity in design here? iOS has its share of flaws but at least things are mostly easy to find and manipulate. This is pretty frustrating/disappointing.

I'm ready to return this thing and it hasn't even been half a day of use.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 24, 2017