Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

signalnoise posted:

Why the gently caress aren't there any cheap good cylindrical pen barrels??? Like everything I find is the Lamy Logo, FC Ambition, etc.. 40+ dollar pens. Very annoying.

Ohto Dude

Yeah, a Custom Heritage 91 starts at about $75US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Soooo I got my Pilot Plumix and removing the nibs both from it and the metro was easy. But it seems the plumix nib is a hair larger then the mtero one and thus it does not fit snugly on the feed and will not enter the pen at all.

Wondergin if I am supposed to heat set the feed or it's normal and just use force. The metro's nib went easelly on the plumix but now I am thinking it might leak.

I did read the feeds where not compatible so I am swapping only the bins. Maybe this is my mistake. I ll try the feed too.

edit: its obvious the feeds are incompatible. SO I'm back to wondering what it is I am missing.

edit2: and there you go it's on. Let's ink it and make a mess!!

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 23, 2017

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My plumix nib went on my metro just like the standard metro nib. Seems to fit perfectly.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

taqueso posted:

My plumix nib went on my metro just like the standard metro nib. Seems to fit perfectly.

I AM AN IDIOT. I was cleaning out my Serwex M.B. and in my excitement was swapping ITS nib instead of my metropolitan's. Ha ha ha and I want to buy a 400$ pen.

edit: took 3 seconds to swap with the right pens. ha ha. Thanks for the help!

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 23, 2017

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Iznogood posted:

I AM AN IDIOT. I was cleaning out my Serwex M.B. and in my excitement was swapping ITS nib instead of my metropolitan's. Ha ha ha and I want to buy a 400$ pen.

edit: took 3 seconds to swap with the right pens. ha ha. Thanks for the help!

Great to hear! I was wondering if your plumix was slightly oversized and the factory just forced the nib on and expanded it or something.

I took a photo of mine:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

e; how are the Leuchtturm1917 pocket sized? They pretty much look like Moleskin and would line up nicely on the shelf of used notebooks, is the paper better?

Speaking as someone who makes notebooks - Leuchtturm has much better paper than Moleskine. It's not high-grade Campus levels of paper but it's perfectly serviceable. I would still recommend the Japanese papers (e.g. Mnemosyne series) over it but it will do for most writers.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Even the plumix with the medium nib is better than the metro was. This is fun!

So about that Pelikan I dream of. Here are two I am looking at on fpn. I would love goon opinions on these deals. To me it seems like 150$ is not very much for this pen (I think?). Just realised the one at 140$ is in euro so thats 200 CAN$

If one of you guy's has a Pelikan m400-600-800 to sell hit me in private I'd love to do business here instead of on the fpn.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/44350-pelikan-m405-fine/
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/43347-pelikan-m400-om-nib-reduction/

Or even this guy a m600 at another very good price it would seem.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/43468-pelikan-m600-green-stripe-f

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 23, 2017

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kessel posted:

Speaking as someone who makes notebooks - Leuchtturm has much better paper than Moleskine. It's not high-grade Campus levels of paper but it's perfectly serviceable. I would still recommend the Japanese papers (e.g. Mnemosyne series) over it but it will do for most writers.

I am only someone who writes in notebooks but I've sent jetpens a bunch of money to try out lots of different notebooks and I really like Koyuko. I got one of their Systemic covers and have a Campus High Grade notebook in it plus the one it came with and it's working really well for what I needed which is daily note-taking/record-keeping for work stuff and I've been able to use both sides of each page which was one of the main things I was looking for. I like the cover a lot as well, I have to carry two phones and can slip both of them into the outside pockets, it has a pen loop that fits a metro perfectly, and I keep a few cards/money/cute agenda stickers in the pockets inside.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Speaking of notebooks, has anyone ever used a Miquelrius? I've heard that it's okay/passable for fountain pens (better than Moleskine, worse than Tamoe paper, maybe on par with Rhodia?).

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

I am only someone who writes in notebooks but I've sent jetpens a bunch of money to try out lots of different notebooks and I really like Koyuko. I got one of their Systemic covers and have a Campus High Grade notebook in it plus the one it came with and it's working really well for what I needed which is daily note-taking/record-keeping for work stuff and I've been able to use both sides of each page which was one of the main things I was looking for. I like the cover a lot as well, I have to carry two phones and can slip both of them into the outside pockets, it has a pen loop that fits a metro perfectly, and I keep a few cards/money/cute agenda stickers in the pockets inside.

When I was in college I used a Systemic and a Campus High Grade for almost everything. It's frigging brilliant for note-taking, and as you say the loop and cover hold a surprising amount of crap.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Oh well I decided to get this one. 155 usd shipped.

Pretty happy pen seems super the seller has a great reputation and this is the exact pen I've been wanting from the beginning. A rapid google search suggests I could not get a better price so I went for it.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/43347-pelikan-m400-om-nib-reduction

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Trustworthy posted:

Speaking of notebooks, has anyone ever used a Miquelrius? I've heard that it's okay/passable for fountain pens (better than Moleskine, worse than Tamoe paper, maybe on par with Rhodia?).

It's definitely some of the better non-coated paper. Ink won't pool on it like Rhodia, but it's also not prone to feathering. I like them, but haven't bought one in a while. (I found some Mead composition books that work just as well and were far cheaper.) Miquelrius is a good option for spiral notebooks.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Miquelrius is fantastic. I should have bought a bunch of them back when target had them.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Am I impulsive or what? Transaction done the pen ships tomorrow! SUPER happy. Have held one of these at wonderpens and I have wanted one so bad. 205 can$ in total.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Someone gave me and oldish Sheaffer school pen that I converted to an eyedropper with Heart of Darkness. Little silicone grease on the threads and its been 2-weeks with no leaks. Seems to write pretty well considering he said it sat in a drawer for about 25 years.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
if it's a No Nonsense those things hold a ton of ink as eyedroppers. I have one that came out of a calligraphy set but unfortunately it was leaky even with a cartridge so I've had to put it away until I can replace the nib unit since it leaks around the nib/feed somewhere.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
For people who have bought cheap and questionable pens off of Ebay, does anyone have any recommendations for buying things half way decent? (in terms of ink flow/nib not being literally trash)

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
They just won't be decent out of the box unless japanese. The bodies are nice though, people replace the nibs with cheap western ones if they can.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

GenericGirlName posted:

For people who have bought cheap and questionable pens off of Ebay, does anyone have any recommendations for buying things half way decent? (in terms of ink flow/nib not being literally trash)

I've bought about 10 Jinhao 599s and they've all written pretty well out of the box. Get the plastic version with the standard #5 nib.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

grack posted:

I've bought about 10 Jinhao 599s and they've all written pretty well out of the box. Get the plastic version with the standard #5 nib.

My Jinhao's are hit and miss but my Hero pens have all been pretty much spectacular out of the box.
Also, and I don't believe I am saying this: it's pretty trivial to realign tines and I am in the process of getting all my "bad" Jinhao's to "great".

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 24, 2017

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Awesome. I've been interested in getting cheap ebay pens and also I need a pen I wont be angry about losing if I leave it at my desk at work.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

GenericGirlName posted:

Awesome. I've been interested in getting cheap ebay pens and also I need a pen I wont be angry about losing if I leave it at my desk at work.

There are many and they look great. I'd say Jinhao's x450 series (except for the occasional very loving hard to remove cap) and any Hero pen is a good bet.

I think I buy a new chinese pen every other day. 2-3-4$ shipped to me it's just free. Price of a coffee.

They make great gifts, are tunable and at least with the x450 they take standard no6 nibs so you can play around with that too.

Two very common drawbacks of chinese for me are:
they dry off real fast. 24h+ usually needs a little nose dive in water or lick to get going.
the converters are cool but good luck filling one completely

Two most surprising things about them:
they are made of real metal and do not look cheap at all (some do but usually not)
They write well enough but maybe 1/3 of my hero/jinhao's wrote out of the box as well as any of my other pens. So smooth.

Chinese have upped there game, have immense support from their gov (free shipping, free manufactures) and they are producing better and better products every day because lets be honest, the majority of western makers have outsourced their stuff to china for a while now, giving the, all their manufacturing secrets and process.

Reminds me of the 60s and dumping.

Anyways! My point is I intend to stock up on these because they make great gifts and to be sure one day china will stop with the advantages and the 2$ fountain pen will go pouf. ANd everyone will want one of those.

Or not! There nice !

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I've been using the small (passport sized?) filofax I got bundled with an Al-star. It's just OK. I wouldn't pay full price for one, but I might get an A5 size Arc at some point.

It is handy to be able to move pages around and I use the ruler it came with as a book mark and a couple of the divider pages.

Paper quality is middling, not too feathery but not as nice as clairfontaine. Bleed through can get bad if you write on both sides with a juicy nib, should be ok if you're a fine /x fine person.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
FWIW, I've seen way more Jinhao x450 reviews that mention leaking issues, compared to the x750. I haven't had that problem, but I still like my x750s a hell of a lot more than my 450.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Trustworthy posted:

FWIW, I've seen way more Jinhao x450 reviews that mention leaking issues, compared to the x750. I haven't had that problem, but I still like my x750s a hell of a lot more than my 450.

Think I have only one x750. SHould stock up on them the one I have I like very much. I have had zero of these pens leak but I don't use them that much.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I just put a Nemosine broad nib in my Starry Night/Shimmering Sands/whatever x750 and drat I love it.

Sparkle pen

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

pienipple posted:

I just put a Nemosine broad nib in my Starry Night/Shimmering Sands/whatever x750 and drat I love it.

Sparkle pen

I just ordered a Goulet 1.1 stub for mine. Love that sparkle! :3:

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Trustworthy posted:

I just ordered a Goulet 1.1 stub for mine. Love that sparkle! :3:

I want to order one but I am afraid of duties... Any Canadians with experience ordering from Goulet? How bad did you get hit if you did?

Wish Wonderpens had these or some other popular sized nibs.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

FYI the Nanami Seven Seas Writer is back in stock: http://www.nanamipaper.com/products/seven-seas-writer-a5-journal-5th-edition.html

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

:homebrew:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh poo poo, white paper and a lower price. I don't need a writer at this precise moment but it never hurts to stock up.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

howe_sam posted:

Oh poo poo, white paper and a lower price. I don't need a writer at this precise moment but it never hurts to stock up.

same here, at least with this I'm good for nice notebooks for a while
I'm also getting one of those sparkly x750s because I need a sparkly pen!!

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

God damnit guys!!

I just bought 'Seven Seas "WRITER" A5 Journal - 5th Edition' on Nanami Paper and Supply

Pretty much just clicked thru and bought it. This is getting out of control..

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Iznogood posted:

God damnit guys!!

I just bought 'Seven Seas "WRITER" A5 Journal - 5th Edition' on Nanami Paper and Supply

Pretty much just clicked thru and bought it. This is getting out of control..

Welcome, brother.

I've got like 4 of both those and the Crossfield in reserve but gently caress man it's not like I'm not going to use them

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

NeurosisHead posted:

Welcome, brother.

I've got like 4 of both those and the Crossfield in reserve but gently caress man it's not like I'm not going to use them

I literally purchased it then read through the description. But it's because of one of my other passions, tobacco. There is one pipe tobacco that is so rare when ever stores get it it's gone in 30 seconds and accusations start flying that employees buy the stocks to resell on ebay. Anyways. Heard of those notebooks for a while. Knew they where impossible to find. Saw the post click click click. Purchased :-D

Happy I did.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
My only complaint with the x750 is the little chrome ring at the bottom of the section (nib-side). Ink tends to hide in there when you fill the pen, and then days later you'll find yourself wondering a) why you have inky fingers and then b) why you were gripping the pen so low anyway. But besides that annoyance, it works well pretty well, and if you really want to swap nibs or whatever, it comes apart easily enough. And the ring collecting ink just means spending a bit longer with the paper towel absorbing ink, rather than just quickly drying off the section. Or I guess you could just use cartridges or syringes or whatever, if you're allergic to getting ink on your hands. (Or are using a J. Herbin bottle, because the nib's big enough that once the bottle's half-gone you're gonna have to start tipping it.)

Mine did leak a bit initially, but that's because the converter wasn't seated quite right. Rather like cartridges, it seems like you need to pop it on with more force than you'd expect.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was thinking the international converter was the one that you can actually take out and fill from the bottle. You can't do that with Pilot's converters because it doesn't make enough suction or whatever but the other one that I have will pull ink in and I can get it totally full without having to deal with an inky pen.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
You could do that with anything that isn't a squeeze-type converter. You could do it with a squeeze converter, too, if you can somehow fit your fingers and the converter into the bottleneck.

But that's like eating popcorn with chopsticks. You deviant.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zenostein posted:

You could do that with anything that isn't a squeeze-type converter. You could do it with a squeeze converter, too, if you can somehow fit your fingers and the converter into the bottleneck.

But that's like eating popcorn with chopsticks. You deviant.

maybe I don't like butter on my fingers :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nice, I've been waiting. Got one of these to put it in so I'm set:

https://www.jetpens.com/Lihit-Lab-Smart-Fit-Cover-Notebook-A5-Navy/pd/18339