Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Random Stranger posted:

I have this sneaking suspicion that you're being sarcastic.

I got kind of curious about what in the first year of the PS2's lifespan was worth playing. 2000 is pretty much all terrible; when the only thing on the list where I go, "Oh yeah, I'd play that" is Super Bust-a-Move then it's a real load of stinkers. I'll concede Fantavision is distinctive, though.

I've got a Game Boy game based on the same show that the game in the lower left is. It is not good.

Is that the Master System Mark-III version of Ghouls 'n Ghosts?

I got a lot of mileage out of Tekken Tag at the time. FFIX was played on it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

Is that the Master System Mark-III version of Ghouls 'n Ghosts?

The case is for Megadrive GnG, the loose Mark III cart is Phantasy Star.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This loving rules :allears:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I spent the last few days doing some of the more boring parts of fixing this cab up this weekend, including wiring in a new power supply, re-mounting the monitor controls in a more convenient space, putting the cab on new casters (and adding stiffening boards since the bottom is pure mdf and starting to warp in spots), starting to wire the new jamma harness, adding in a small audio amplifier and hooking up the speakers.

I also grabbed a few boards to swap in:

First is Psychic Force 2012. The board boots but I think it's missing a special power adaptor because it won't go past the first screen.

And I grabbed a Naomi with MvC2 as well as the capcom jamma converter board.

Need to spend some quality time with the monitor tonight, then it's time to wire the controls and hook up the pc.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Random Stranger posted:

I got kind of curious about what in the first year of the PS2's lifespan was worth playing. 2000 is pretty much all terrible; when the only thing on the list where I go, "Oh yeah, I'd play that" is Super Bust-a-Move then it's a real load of stinkers. I'll concede Fantavision is distinctive, though.

Even if Armored Core 2 isn't your jam, you're just gonna poo poo on Gradius III & IV like that? drat, man.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Please do yourself and your dreamcast a favor and buy a VGA adapter for it
PS2 is a blurry mess, Dreamcast is crispy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Random Stranger posted:

I'm one of those weirdos who likes Fantavision :shobon:

Dynasty Warriors 2, the first real Musou game (since DW1 was a fighting game)

Unreal Tournament on PS2 was very very good, Timesplitters was amazing, Tekken Tag Tournament was very good,

OH AND loving SSX?

What are you talking about :psyduck: Those are all games from 2000. If we include the beginning of 2001 there's even more.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Even if Armored Core 2 isn't your jam, you're just gonna poo poo on Gradius III & IV like that? drat, man.

Plus yeah Armored Core 2 was the reason I got a PS2 and that poo poo ruled so hard.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 24, 2017

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Are there any good Youtube videos / websites talking at length about Sega in Brazil in the late 90s/00s?

I was getting caught up on Generation 16 and he was talking Tec Toy. Stuff I knew a little about, but would like to know more.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 24, 2017

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

SSX made having a launch PS2 worthwhile, SSX Tricky was that formula perfected, and SSX 3 is still the best snowboarding game of all time

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Please do yourself and your dreamcast a favor and buy a VGA adapter for it

Make sure it's one with an S-Video Out option if possible. Not every game is compatible with VGA.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Since we're on the topic of Dreamcast, is anyone using one in 480p on a PVM or other 31khz monitor? There are so many options I am confused. Ideally I'm looking for a way to hook it up via component so that I can have it on a switch with my other 480p consoles. Is that the right way to go about it or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kaboobi posted:

SSX made having a launch PS2 worthwhile, SSX Tricky was that formula perfected, and SSX 3 is still the best snowboarding game of all time

Yep. I like that Tricky and 3 are very different games, they both succeed well at what they set out to do.

There's no reason to ever play SSX again, but before Tricky existed it was pretty good times.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

Gradius III and IV is something I overlooked. That's a good package.

SSX I stand by. :colbert:

Zaphod42 posted:

Dynasty Warriors 2, the first real Musou game (since DW1 was a fighting game)

DW3 is the one to play on the PS2, if only for the insane voice acting.

I also think the campaign design is the best of the Dynasty Warriors games on the platform (Samurai Warriors is better at this, though).

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 24, 2017

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Kaboobi posted:

This man knows the score. I set up PS2 emulation solely for SSX3 future proofing.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Evergrace and Eternal Ring would've been my picks if I'd gotten a PS2 at launch instead of waiting eight months or so.

Neither is great, but they're complex From Software RPGs that would've occupied me for a few months. And it's not as though the Dreamcast had a rich RPG lineup.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Monopthalmus posted:

Since we're on the topic of Dreamcast, is anyone using one in 480p on a PVM or other 31khz monitor? There are so many options I am confused. Ideally I'm looking for a way to hook it up via component so that I can have it on a switch with my other 480p consoles. Is that the right way to go about it or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I use a Toro VGA box with my Sony PVM-14L5 which supports 480p/31khz and it's pretty sweet. I have an extra RGB/Component input card installed in my PVM so I have a dedicated RGB and component input to minimize on menu switching (and cable switching for that matter) so I have an input for all my SCART stuff and an input for all my component stuff. Seems to suit me fine.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 24, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TimeSplitters on PS2 is what Goldeneye was on N64. Better shooters followed but that original game was THE multiplayer thing on consoles in 2000. I didn't even have a memory card but friends would spend hours making levels.

I also played the poo poo out of Kessen which probably isn't a good strategy game but it turned me into a historical wargamer. "LET MY TONBOGIRI BE YOUR PASSAGE TO HELL!"

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ridge Racer V and Fantavision were great imo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm also one of five people that enjoyed/remembered Gungriffon Blaze, a game I refuse to revisit and looks ugly as sin but remember wailing guitars and may be the only console game that lets you turn off effects to get smooth 60fps.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I use a Toro VGA box with my Sony PVM-14L5 which supports 480p/31khz and it's pretty sweet. I have an extra RGB/Component input card installed in my PVM so I have a dedicated RGB and component input to minimize on menu switching (and cable switching for that matter) so I have an input for all my SCART stuff and an input for all my component stuff. Seems to suit me fine.

Yeah, I have a 20L5 with an expansion card as well. One input for RGB and the other for component. But how do I go from the the Toro's output to component cables? That's the missing step I don't understand.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Monopthalmus posted:

Yeah, I have a 20L5 with an expansion card as well. One input for RGB and the other for component. But how do I go from the the Toro's output to component cables? That's the missing step I don't understand.

I don't. I just get RGB from the SCART output on the Toro. If you need component, you need to use a VGA to component converter box.

Something like this I guess: https://www.digitalconnection.com/products/video/kdvtca3.asp

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I don't. I just get RGB from the SCART output on the Toro. If you need component, you need to use a VGA to component converter box.

Something like this I guess: https://www.digitalconnection.com/products/video/kdvtca3.asp

Oh so you can do 480p over RGB SCART? I thought wasn't possible and it had to be component.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

By the time anyone was able to find me a PS2 as a gift, Onimusha had already come out, so I didn't ever really touch any of the launch games later as anything other than a curiosity.

I only tried The Bouncer for the first time like a few months ago.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phantasium posted:

By the time anyone was able to find me a PS2 as a gift, Onimusha had already come out, so I didn't ever really touch any of the launch games later as anything other than a curiosity.

Is The Bouncer worth playing at all, out of curiosity?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phantasium posted:

It's crazy Onimusha and Devil May Cry came out within a couple months of each other. 2001 was a ridiculous year for video games.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Monopthalmus posted:

Oh so you can do 480p over RGB SCART? I thought wasn't possible and it had to be component.

It's still technically VGA. The Toro VGA Box is just taking the RGB signals from the VGA plus the Horizontal and Vertical Sync (while combining them into Composite Sync) and I just supply the cable to connect to the PVM, in this case a SCART to BNC cable.

http://retrorgb.com/toro.html

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's still technically VGA. The Toro VGA Box is just taking the RGB signals from the VGA plus the Horizontal and Vertical Sync (while combining them into Composite Sync) and I just supply the cable to connect to the PVM, in this case a SCART to BNC cable.

http://retrorgb.com/toro.html

Oh snap. That easy huh? And from that description it sounds like this would work just fine plugged into a SCART switch with all my other stuff.

Awesome, thanks so much for clearing that stuff up for me, dude.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Monopthalmus posted:

Oh snap. That easy huh? And from that description it sounds like this would work just fine plugged into a SCART switch with all my other stuff.

Awesome, thanks so much for clearing that stuff up for me, dude.

Yep, my Dreamcast is plugged into my SCART switch with my other consoles. No problems, PVM handles it all fine.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's kinda cool how it seamlessly cuts from cutscenes to gameplay but to answer your question it was made by the same developers as Ehrgeiz. It's quite sloppy as a beat em up and seemed to dole out experience for new moves really slowly. I was doing fine until I came to one encounter where I kept dying instantly and stopped playing.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yep, my Dreamcast is plugged into my SCART switch with my other consoles. No problems, PVM handles it all fine.

Sweet. Thank you again for taking the time to explain it to me. I had researched it myself but just wasn't connecting the dots.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I use one as well, though I've noticed some issues with running the Official Dreamcast Magazine demo discs on it; it'll do the bootup intro, show the "Produced or licensed by Sega" screen, and then promptly reboot. Using composite, meanwhile, it goes to the demo disc menu as expected.

Which makes me wonder - since all I really needed was SCART output, was a Toro overkill? Would I get a clean RGB signal out of the console without a VGA box? I mean, at the moment, the Toro certainly works for most of my use cases, and I'm in no rush to replace it, but I am still pretty confused about the whole situation, especially since the Toro is not one of those VGA boxes that double as an S-Video cable if the game in question doesn't support VGA.

falz posted:

I've never owned a PS2 because gently caress Sony's marketing which helped kill the Dreamcast.
I was this way a long time ago; seething resentment of what felt like Sony's utter dominance of the industry, killing off Sega and doing a number on Nintendo as well.

I mellowed out around 2005 or so, when a friend of the family gave us their PS1, and I got to play on it a bit. I eventually caved and bought myself a used PS2 around 2008-2009. Still have the thing, in fact (though it's picky about PS1 discs, which IIRC is the first sign of a dying laser). Nowadays, I can better appreciate the whole scenario behind Sega's utter implosion and Nintendo's fall from grace and see that a lot of it was self-inflicted, even without an aggressive Sony making their lives harder still. Besides, "arrogant Sony" fell to the wayside after they had their turn as a laughing stock with the PS3 (before they managed to turn it around); the current guys behind the Playstation division are a lot more chill, I rather like them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

I use one as well, though I've noticed some issues with running the Official Dreamcast Magazine demo discs on it; it'll do the bootup intro, show the "Produced or licensed by Sega" screen, and then promptly reboot. Using composite, meanwhile, it goes to the demo disc menu as expected.

Which makes me wonder - since all I really needed was SCART output, was a Toro overkill? Would I get a clean RGB signal out of the console without a VGA box? I mean, at the moment, the Toro certainly works for most of my use cases, and I'm in no rush to replace it, but I am still pretty confused about the whole situation, especially since the Toro is not one of those VGA boxes that double as an S-Video cable if the game in question doesn't support VGA.

Beharius already took care of that. If you're playing something that doesn't support VGA, just flip the RGB/VGA switch. You can continue to use it with your SCART cables for 240p/480i stuff.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought it was garbo on release but revisiting it it's not bad. Square was going somewhere great with the branching story and narrative style but the result is a slow rear end game. It's both the best example of a 3D brawler and an argument for why the genre should stay 2D.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Beharius already took care of that. If you're playing something that doesn't support VGA, just flip the RGB/VGA switch. You can continue to use it with your SCART cables for 240p/480i stuff.
To be clear, I'm using the SCART output converted to component on a Trinitron, so the switch in question is never not set to RGB. It's under this condition that I get the instant reboot when trying to load a demo disc.

Suppose I should try Ms. Pac-Man's Maze Madness at some point and see how that fares, since I know that's a game that doesn't support VGA.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

falz posted:

PS2 is a blurry mess, Dreamcast is crispy.
Ditto. When I was in college my roommate had a DC and I ended up spending a Saturday playing though his collection. Jet Set Radio and Soul Calibur II blew me the gently caress away. They were about on par with PS2 poo poo.

Really regretted missing out on that system.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only thing I have with a VGA port is a widescreen PC monitor...but I have a Trinitron and an HDTV. What can I do for that delicious 480p, aside from finding some old 4:3 monitor?

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Harlock posted:

Are there any good Youtube videos / websites talking at length about Sega in Brazil in the late 90s/00s?

I was getting caught up on Generation 16 and he was talking Tec Toy. Stuff I knew a little about, but would like to know more.

Kim Justice made a video about Tec Toy last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NissGg3GMJM

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a terrible game, but it's terrible in interesting ways. So I'd say go for it.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Not selling my wii u has been the greatest decision I've ever made, emulators on the gamepad is amazing

What are sone hidden gems for mastersystem/nes/genesis/snes/gb/gba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

al-azad posted:

I'm also one of five people that enjoyed/remembered Gungriffon Blaze, a game I refuse to revisit and looks ugly as sin but remember wailing guitars and may be the only console game that lets you turn off effects to get smooth 60fps.

I picked up Gungriffon I on a lark when I got my Saturn recently and it's actually dope as hell so maybe Blaze would be worth a revisitation!

• Locked thread